Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

breezer

Practically Family
Any Iron Heart owners out there? Cant figure out of I would be an M or an L? Theres an M auctioning on eBay this week......

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Wore it with a thickish sweater underneath and it felt fine. I wouldn't honestly class it as a very cold weather coat though.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have an original that does well in cold weather, but probably not very cold weather, like below 20° F. Below that and I would want a sweater or another warmer jacket. But they are good for what they are.

breezer

Practically Family
IH deck jacket has arrived and I couldn't be happier......finally I have an N1 thats fits proper.....pics and review to follow.......

4444Design

One of the Regulars
I have an early Pike Bros and a Bronson. I like both and while I got the Pike Bros first and then bought a Bronson I ended up keeping both. Like you I think I wanted a more 'fitted' version that the one I had.

The Pike Bros is big, warm and great if I'm going to be outside working in winter or hanging around outside and its very comfortable moving about, its great and my go to jacket if I'm going to be out in the snow.

The Bronson is a trim fit on me, looks a lot 'smarter' and is a warmer jacket than I expected it to be given the lining isn't pure wool like the Pike Bros.

For the money the Bronson is a great deal. Its a trim fitting jacket in the shoulder area for me but I'm about at the edge of their sizing.

I think you nailed it with your comment.

I own a couple N1 copies as well as an original one (too small to wear, condition ain't good) and have at least something to compare.

I like the PB one for it's more roomy cut. Simply more conveniant. Also craftmanship as far as my impression goes is very good.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Just gone some older piccies for Deck Jacket:

in general i got more repops of "BRONSON" and "BOB DONG" (yeah - weird name) in my collection rather than the much more expensive BR or any other japanese Versions.

I've been collection them over the years and recognized that there are sometimes huge differences in details and quality depending on which production run.

This is a early "BOB DONG" in totally inaccurate blue, size 44 (or XXL) which fits me still pretty good. (approx 100 kg / 1.90 mtr)

DghMIpE.jpg

FjMEp59.jpg

Stencilling was done by me myself

Another very early BOB DONG in khaki with hooks - since i use to wash them a couple of times to give them the not so "factory fresh look" the jacket faded very nice - stencils as well as all decoration except the US NAVY on the back was done by a friend of mine "Mr. Ties"

nE6G6yr.jpg

SDWXMdt.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
This is a very early BRONSON version in the correct shade of bluish grey - almost black - weight and consistency of the fabric is almost 100% to the original - i own period "NOS" (new old stock) BIBs which compare - see pics

Even the stencils - which ain't white on the originals - are pretty much detailed and period correct (even though i know they differed in-between the manufacturers)

pcxj31q.jpg

comparison with period bibs

mCIDgw8.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Out of couriosity i also tried a deck jacket from "At The Front" - a supplier which is usually "top notch" with his equipment ...

I was pretty disappointed with the quality though - the lining / artificial ALPACCA looked more like a teddybaer rather than anything else been used in WW2

Slammed some stencils on her including the "USN" on the front and sold her - size was a "Large" like with all garment from ATF they run big anyway

OkIDxAc.jpg

erszgvq.jpg

o1MMATT.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana