Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Since original N1s are pretty hard to find in decent condition and matching my size i started getting more and more interested in any postwar solutions or predecessors of the famous N1.

The A2 Deck Jackets can still be found in a very reasonable price range and their variety is pretty high due to the behaviour of the USN to mark the jackets with the ID of the vessel they are used on

As far as i heard (correct me if i'm wrong) these jackets pretty often where not issued to a single person but to a vessel

My oldest one was manufactured in 1968

SSBN 622 - USS James Monroe
UHuajgp.jpg

US Airforce version - obviously a "trade in" from a sailor finally ended up with USAF personel
fsCkeHg.jpg

SUBASE - "Submarine Base"
cOmcQDg.jpg

CGN-9 "USS LONG BEACH"
7h3bq5l.jpg

Toto1234

Familiar Face
Out of couriosity i also tried a deck jacket from "At The Front" - a supplier which is usually "top notch" with his equipment ...

I was pretty disappointed with the quality though - the lining / artificial ALPACCA looked more like a teddybaer rather than anything else been used in WW2

Slammed some stencils on her including the "USN" on the front and sold her - size was a "Large" like with all garment from ATF they run big anyway

OkIDxAc.jpg

erszgvq.jpg

o1MMATT.jpg
I agree the "alpaca" lining in the ATF N1 sucked and the fabric was also not a sturdy as an original N1.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
another one out of the stash with matching coverall

ohmVUKQ.jpg

xVvQAQg.jpg

belonged to a member of the "Nightdippers" => see WIKIPEDIA

Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron FIVE (HSC-5) (previously Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron FIVE (HS-5)), also known as the Nightdippers, is a helicopter squadron of the United States Navy based at Naval Station Norfolk operating the Sikorsky MH-60S Seahawk. The Nightdippers are a part of Carrier Air Wing Seven and deploy aboard USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75)[1] to provide anti-surface warfare, search and rescue, vertical replenishment, Combat Search and Rescue and Naval Special Warfare Support capabilities to the carrier strike group.

Last edited:

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Very early "BOB DONG" deck jacket in the short version with hooks - the color is totally off such almost bright blue garment was never issued during and shortly before wartime

quality of the jacket is OK anyway - the liner is artificial fur even though originals had a blanket-like wool liner and actually no zipper but the hooks only

The hooks where meant for easier handling even with cold finger or wearing gloves/mittens

the US Navy stencil on the back was there - the other markings where done by my - the stencils should represent a jacket worn by USN personal during D-Day in Normandy - LCI stands for "Landing Craft Infantry"

04YaFos.jpg

bJ2EBfo.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
SEABEES ...

I unfortunately sold this particular jacket - it was in size "S" which would simply never fit - came with that patch

rC6KDIR.jpg

bD25wj1.jpg

5RV8NAy.jpg

V8kmqm0.jpg

less than 5 weeks ago i found this M65 parka in size L which - based on the fact it belonged to a SEABEE can also be rated as a deck-jacket

9uarpZ6.jpg

the SEABEE emblem is embroidered whereas the one on the A2 is stencilled or printed

Toto1234

Familiar Face
Very early "BOB DONG" deck jacket in the short version with hooks - the color is totally off such almost bright blue garment was never issued during and shortly before wartime

quality of the jacket is OK anyway - the liner is artificial fur even though originals had a blanket-like wool liner and actually no zipper but the hooks only

The hooks where meant for easier handling even with cold finger or wearing gloves/mittens

the US Navy stencil on the back was there - the other markings where done by my - the stencils should represent a jacket worn by USN personal during D-Day in Normandy - LCI stands for "Landing Craft Infantry"

04YaFos.jpg

bJ2EBfo.jpg
Here is a real one for comparison - with details of the hooks

SAM_7663a.jpg
SAM_7677a.jpg
SAM_7663a.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
i managed to get my hands on a whole lot (should be about 20 of them) USN foul weather deck helmets in that distinctive greyish darkblue that the original jackets had

interesting to see the different stages of fading

9nYcFYd.jpg

the stencils on the helmets are printed in silver - no white

breezer

Practically Family
Very much enjoying the IH N1. Couldn't be happier with the fit. Not really fussed about historical accuracy.......so I like the heavy weight zipper, and I particularly like the way the zip can separate from the bottom, makes the jacket very versatile. A also like the lined pockets, its the same alpaca mix as the lining. And I think the quilted arms work too, makes the garment more flexible. As for the button fasteners on the sides and sleeve - not fussed either way. One thing I would say is the that collar is much bigger than the other brands of N1 that I have experienced. Possibly if I could change one thing it would be to reduce the collar size, but then again its very comfortable to wear with the collar up, and warm too. Its also shorter in the body than my other N1's. It works. Its my first IH jacket and I'm impressed - the cut and fit are perfect for me. Once again, very happy.....
DSC_8467.jpg
DSC_8468.jpg
DSC_8474.jpg
View attachment 334893
DSC_8477.jpg
DSC_8479.jpg
View attachment 334896 View attachment 334897 View attachment 334898
DSC_8479.jpg
View attachment 334896
DSC_8467.jpg
DSC_8468.jpg
DSC_8474.jpg
View attachment 334893
DSC_8477.jpg
DSC_8479.jpg
View attachment 334896 View attachment 334897 View attachment 334898

CatsCan

Practically Family
Looks outstanding! Thanks for the review and the fit pics as well! This Deck Jacket is fitting you extremely well.

And I think the quilted arms work too, makes the garment more flexible.

sometimes I think, that I would prefer if my N-1 had quilted arms, too. All my long-sleeves ride up while I put mine on. I have to pull them down each time. The sleeve lining is just not sliding well over anything but bare arms.

I would not mind the higher collar! It will pay out in cold weather for sure and it does not look overdone to my eyes.

Cool jacket!

Cats

i managed to get my hands on a whole lot (should be about 20 of them) USN foul weather deck helmets in that distinctive greyish darkblue that the original jackets had

interesting to see the different stages of fading

9nYcFYd.jpg

the stencils on the helmets are printed in silver - no white
@4444Design if you ever come across a deck jacket with the USS Threasher - SSN 593 (submarine) markings on it, please let me know!
Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui