Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Details, a Sewing Resource

SayCici

Practically Family
This thread, "The Details - A Sewing Resource", is an on-going research project into the use of embellishments used on clothing from the 1920s-1950s. It was created for seamstresses who may be looking to achieve historical accuracy in a garment or just some inspiration. Start at the beginning or view the Index, the post below, to search for something specific.

"How can I help keep this thread organized?"
You can help keep this resource easily navigated by, when posting a picture:
1) Only post photos of 1 garment per post, unless it is something meant to be worn as a set.
2) Keeping the photos to a minimum, preferably under 5. If you have more photos than that to share, post a link to the album once you've reached the max. 5 photos in the post.
3) Most importantly, try to put a little information in the post title. If your article is from the 40s, is a dress, and has appliquéd flowers, your title might look something like "1940s, dress, appliqué, floral/roses".

Thank you! Enjoy.

SayCici

Practically Family

SayCici

Practically Family
1950s, clothing (skirt), embroidery, trim

il_430xN140558636.jpg

il_fullxfull140558382.jpg

il_fullxfull140558452.jpg

This is a 50s skirt that was sold on Etsy a little while ago. I love it and would really like to re-create it one day! There are embroidered bees embellished with small, yellow rhinestones and three rows of trim (it looks rope-ish?) around the bottom.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Great idea!

Although I suppose as it grows the issue would be how to organize things. Start branching threads by decade or garment or detail type?

The bumblebee skirt is utterly adorable.

SayCici

Practically Family
In the second post that I "reserved", I'll just have areas that denote decade or embellishment type, and have links to the post or just put a span of pages, like 21-24 if there's a bunch of things posted with the same theme. It wouldn't be difficult as long as I updated as things were posted, instead of trying to go back later and do it.

SayCici

Practically Family
1930s, separates (pants), motif (nautical/sailboat)

summer4.jpg

I used this image on my blog because I like her hair, but I also love her outfit! Note the sailboat at the left pant hem. This could have been silkscreened on by the manufacturer, a process that has been around for a very long time, but this is mostly an idea for a motif you could use, as this could also be embroidered on or perhaps painted using fabric paint.

SayCici

Practically Family
1940s, dress, sequins, motif (animals/snake)

il_430xN.148032218.jpg

il_430xN.148032220.jpg

il_430xN.148032226.jpg

This amazing dress is on Etsy right now. Brown rayon crepe dress from the 40s, and I'm guessing the tail-end of the 40s because it has 2 metal zippers. The main body of the snake is composed of sequins, and it looks the outline might be metallic embroidery thread, it's hard to tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR