Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The devolution of our society through fashion in just two pictures.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Saw this on Facebook and thought it topical to this thread....lol

308891_180059348745501_139155986169171_384558_1661952026_n.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
You Say You Want a Devolution?
For most of the last century, America’s cultural landscape—its fashion, art, music, design, entertainment—changed dramatically every 20 years or so. But these days, even as technological and scientific leaps have continued to revolutionize life, popular style has been stuck on repeat, consuming the past instead of creating the new.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2012/01/prisoners-of-style-201201

Story

I'll Lock Up
This type of thread so often attracts our curmudgeons to complain and our "free thinkers" to complain about elitists.

Actually, the take-away from that article is somewhat hopeful.

As the baby-boomers who brought about this ice age finally shuffle off, maybe America and the rich world are on the verge of a cascade of the wildly new and insanely great.

You know, as I was reading this comment, I was thinking. I don't think I've ever seen my own father in a collared shirt more than once or maybe twice in my life.

When he was a kid, he once went to school in just a t-shirt, he had forgotten to put his collared shirt on over it. The teacher sent him home and told him to come back when he was dressed properly. That was somewhere in the mid to late 1960s.

I am at the local library right now and in the public computers I am the only man wearing a shirt with a collar.

You know, as I was reading this comment, I was thinking. I don't think I've ever seen my own father in a collared shirt more than once or maybe twice in my life.

When he was a kid, he once went to school in just a t-shirt, he had forgotten to put his collared shirt on over it. The teacher sent him home and told him to come back when he was dressed properly. That was somewhere in the mid to late 1960s.

The thing is I can understand the concept of casual and the idea that if you are working some types of professions wearing a collar shirt is not the best choice. However, the idea that work wear is what one wears everyday makes me uncomfortable. I think that there is that slide that we see. i can go to walmart and almost guarentee i will see someone in Pajamas. It is not unusual to see the East LA guys wearing slippers as outerwear at the store. We are approaching the concept of high end running suits as semi-formal.

All I can say is I never saw my father wear a pair of blue jeans, ever. He always wore a shirt with a collar. At work (he was a machinist) He usually wore a white dress shirt (no tie) under his shop coat. in the winter he did switch to flannel shirts because of the cold.

Here in So Cal people revell in their bad behavior and wear clothes that identifies them as such. A t-shirt with F*** on it or Bitch it's all the same. WShat is cool now was what the biker bad guys in a 1980's episode of miami Vice looked like. And that is progress.

It's a shame, really. Even my work uniform includes a collared shirt and Dickie's pants. I take mine home and iron them, so they look crisp and clean, as well.

I wear jeans, I hate them. I just get too much hassle from the family if I don't wear jeans. Even with jeans and just a plaid shirt, people ask 'why are you dressed up?' To me, that's very casual dress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart