Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

If the hat looks as good inside as out I'm sure it would go north of $100 US...

I believe you can find a good photo set of this hat inside and out on the Knox thread. The quality is quite extraordinary. It is an early 100 - late 1940s I believe - much more beautiful and in my opinion desirable than the 100 of a decade or two later. The auction prices will vary tremendously depending on the quality of photographs and description by the seller.

For comparison, here is a silver beaver 50 from Frank T. Stack (made by Maclachlan) from about the same time. I shaped it in much the same way as the Knox 100. Also a tasty morsel. I have never handled a felted edge which equalled the finish quality of that Knox 100.

2.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Harv! That's a sharply ceased diamond. I have found that all of my hats are morphing into diamond creases as of late.

tommyK

One Too Many
If the hat looks as good inside as out I'm sure it would go north of $100 US. Some of the prices for hats now have escalated significantly since I started buying on Ebay. Much desired Strats, Whippets and the like are easily in the $200s and one seller lists most of his over $250-$300. Occasionally you can find an off-brand very nice hat for a bargain. I've pretty much stopped buying as my closet is full, although I may opt for a custom every year or so.

hatophile, I wish I could buy Strats and Whippets at those prices. In my size (7 1/2) Stratoliners are going for $400+ and the single descent Whippet went for $500. Everybody wants Stetsons. I'm with you, that the off brands Dobbs, Knox, Lee and others are where bargains can be found. They are often better quality as well. I'm not hung up on the label so a Dobbs 20 trumps a Royal Stetson Whippet any day!
2014-12-17133654_zpsc581738b.jpg
kind of an elongated diamond

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Thank, Harv! I would love to find a Dobbs Fifteen like yours! The Dobbs Guild Edge is pretty sweet with the thin ribbon.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
For comparison, here is a silver beaver 50 from Frank T. Stack (made by Maclachlan) from about the same time. I shaped it in much the same way as the Knox 100. Also a tasty morsel. I have never handled a felted edge which equalled the finish quality of that Knox 100.

2.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Stunning, I know what I'm asking Santa for!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Charlie! I am now about to put that diamond on my head and go hunt for more treasures! Hopefully I can find some old ties...Like I need more of those. :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow...all of those are too nice to call out just one particular hat. Great display!

Here's my contribution. I accentuated the Cross within a Diamond Crease on this Resistol 3X as a testimony to my Christian faith, I probably should live up to the precepts a lot better than I do, though...

XXX7.jpg

XXX3.jpg

XXX4.jpg

XXX5.jpg

x_Resistol_3_X_2.jpg

These Resistols have plenty enough crown to get a nice deep Diamond Crease.

Some Hank Williams Sr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider