Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1944 Saks-Dobbs ad

5044141249_6cd43f7f85_b.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Notice the little travel tube in the lower right section of the ad? Maybe if I go back and look at Cross Country ads I will now see them everywhere. But before today I don't recall seeing one (other than mine). Thanks for posting that ... ;)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Interesting in that there are no vent holes shown or discussed. If it was an option, you'd think at least one of the hats would have it.

Brad

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
Interesting in that there are no vent holes shown or discussed. If it was an option, you'd think at least one of the hats would have it.

Brad

Perhaps the vented variety were before or after the date of that ad. The ribbons both look wider than mine and more narrow than rlk's. It says in the ad for sport, vacation travel. I wonder since rlk's is a "vacation" if there is a sport and a travel version as well.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Circa-1920 Dobbs

Received this Dobbs long/silk finish hat recently. It was a BIN on eBay for $44, though far too small for me to wear. I had to buy it, though, as it was made between 1917 and 1922. Also has a Cavanagh Edge, from the first decade of production. My oldest Cav Edge hat so far.

5 3/4" crown, and 2 1/2" brim. Ribbon is 2 1/4" wide.

The last owner had a front pinch on it, as seen here:
1920Dobbs1.jpg

Here it is without the pinch, which is more typical of the period:
1920Dobbs2.jpg

1920DobbsProfile.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Circa-1920 Dobbs, Part Two

Here is part two of the post, since the new forum would only let me upload 4 images at a time:

The original liner has seen better days.
1920DobbsLiner.jpg

1920DobbsTag.jpg

The sweatband is the only odd thing about the hat. I don't believe it's original to the hat, as it doesn't say Dobbs on it anywhere. It has an embossed logo featuring an eagle, the words "Extra Quality," and "Denver Hat Factory." I'm guessing the original sweatband was replaced in the 1930s. I couldn't find out much about the Denver Hat Factory, but the stitching to install the sweatband is very amateurish, not professionally done.
1920DobbsSweatband.jpg

Even though it's too small to wear, it's still an exciting addition to my collection.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Here is part two of the post, since the new forum would only let me upload 4 images at a time:

The original liner has seen better days.

Even though it's too small to wear, it's still an exciting addition to my collection.

Brad

Fantastic Find!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Can you do an edge close-up?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic Find!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Can you do an edge close-up?

This is about as good as my old camera can get. As is usual with long finishes, the Cavanagh Edge is slightly wider and less defined, due to not being able to shape the edge as much as on a short finish to protect the finish.
1920DobbsCavEdge.jpg

I was quite surprised and excited to see it on this hat, as I couldn't tell the hat had it from the lousy auction photos.

Brad

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Received this Dobbs long/silk finish hat recently. It was a BIN on eBay for $44, though far too small for me to wear. I had to buy it, though, as it was made between 1917 and 1922. Also has a Cavanagh Edge, from the first decade of production. My oldest Cav Edge hat so far.

1920Dobbs1.jpg

1920Dobbs2.jpg

1920DobbsProfile.jpg

Bravo sir!! I really love the long nap on that hat....almost makes me want to get my head shrunk down a few sizes

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
I picked up a vintage Dobbs on eBay a while back. The remnants of its tag says its a Dobbs Auburn in Jet. Size: 7 1/2. It's also got a Cav Edge and it was from Moe Penn in NYC. The previous owner had bashed it into a porkpie. Incidentally, I'm putting this back up for sale on eBay soon because I'm going for something with a wider brim.

DSCN0458.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0464.jpg

gholla

New in Town
What size is the hat? (sorry if you already noted it... i couldnt find it)

1920Dobbs1.jpg

1920Dobbs2.jpg

1920DobbsProfile.jpg

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Oh my Brad!! Its a wee size 7 just like my pointy head; if you ever think of parting with it let me know. I promise to love it, and brush it, and take it for long walks.

DRB

One Too Many
Brad, are you going to restore the interior or leave it as is? Also, I love the cavanagh edge.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I picked up a vintage Dobbs on eBay a while back. The remnants of its tag says its a Dobbs Auburn in Jet. Size: 7 1/2. It's also got a Cav Edge and it was from Moe Penn in NYC. The previous owner had bashed it into a porkpie. Incidentally, I'm putting this back up for sale on eBay soon because I'm going for something with a wider brim.

DSCN0458.jpg

That's a real nice one. I like the color and the ribbon and cav edge at a real nice touch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy