Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Brad, are you going to restore the interior or leave it as is? Also, I love the cavanagh edge.

Probably leave it as is, since I'm not going to wear it. The only thing I would replace would be the sidewall of the liner, but retain the tip. Doesn't seem worth the effort right now.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Probably leave it as is, since I'm not going to wear it. The only thing I would replace would be the sidewall of the liner, but retain the tip. Doesn't seem worth the effort right now.

Brad

I've reached the conclusion that sweatbands over 75 years old are not really suitable for extended wear(rare exceptions of course). They can look great and deteriorate quickly. Meaning that these are more collectors hats. If you replace the sweat then they are wearable but their value as an historical document/object is diminished. It a tough choice and depends upon state of preservation and desires.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately if its beginning to dry rot or the thread is fatigued that finishes it off in some cases rather than improving it. There's a difference between "vintage" and the older hats that are 70 + years. Obviously wear and storage conditions are major factors. Stiffened from salt/sweat also seems to expire when a solvent hits it for more than a swipe.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Unfortunately if its beginning to dry rot or the thread is fatigued that finishes it off in some cases rather than improving it. There's a difference between "vintage" and the older hats that are 70 + years. Obviously wear and storage conditions are major factors. Stiffened from salt/sweat also seems to expire when a solvent hits it for more than a swipe.

I agree with all that more or less. But one thing needs be pointed out here that you didn't mention. I've been handling leather goods for a long, long time and the one thing you DON'T do is slather mink oil on threading. You take time to be careful enough that you ONLY put it on the leather. Also if the leather finish is already flaking off, the mink oil won't do you too much good. At that point it is already about done. You might be able to put some mink oil on the rough side to help moisturize it but if you do don't turn the band back in until the oil has seeped in well. But, yes, obviously its original condition will dictate what will and won't work. Some things you may as well just leave it all alone and just have it for the collection.

gholla

New in Town
Hey Y'all, I'm new to the site... well, new to posting (I've been looking at the forum casually for years. I have one very old Dobbs fifteen that was my grandfathers, which ill try and get pictures and details posted for in the next couple days...

For today, I'd like to brag about this new ebay grab.... a Dobbs twenty long hair model : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...931603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1330wt_907

I loooooovvvveee this finish... so beautiful and so soft... even nicer than the auction pictures.... My grandads is still my fav for sentimental and shape reasons but man..... this is my favorite finish by far......

can anyone help me with dating this?

the ebay description said 40's to 50's but I'd love to hear brad's take... or anyone else with an idea of the age of this beauty.... Thanks -gabes

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, and welcome to the Lounge! That's a sweet velour finish on your Twenty.

As for age, it's Fifties, and more likely mid- to late-'50s, judging from the lower crown height. Congrats of your fine Dobbs!

Brad

gholla

New in Town
thanks brad.... the old guy at JJ hat center in NYC just steamed it and gave me a nice diamond bash with a pinch (ill try and get a photo up)... he said he thought it was from the forties? any chance of that... judging by markings and liner? what liner labels were used in the forties, so i can keep an eye out... im all about the older top end dobbs'...

not that it really matters... he still told me i couldnt buy a hat of that quality today... i love old things of quality.... i inherited a taste for quality from my grandfather i think, who, although not by any means a wealthy man, always bought the best that he could afford...

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No, it's definitely from the Fifties. The sweatband is the clearest signal, and next comes the liner tip, though that style of tip was also used on occasion in the 'teens and early-'20s, albeit without the oilskin tip protectors.

I'll track down images for you of the Forties clues, but they're scattered throughout this thread somewhere.

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950'S Dobbs Homburg

Ive had this one for a while but realized that I never photographed it.

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

DSC04159.jpg

DSC04162.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

One Too Many
Hi Josh ¡¡¡¡ there are hats with much quality, what of course, You can use at any time, I have always wanted seem "ringstone gentleman" well suited and any of this cousins suits well all time. Cheers¡¡¡¡¡

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
my third and nicest dobbs... a dobbs forty

The color is a deep, richly warm brown, and the ribbon has hints of marroon to it. Its really quite stunning! I'm still playing with rough creases, trying to decide what I like best before steaming it in.

What was a very neat surprise, when I received the hat, I noticed that it was originally sold from Davidson's of Roanoke VA... It just so happens that I had my tuxedo fitted here 5-6 years ago for a formal college dance with my girlfriend-now-wife :)

I lack the knowledge to accurate date that hat, other than the taller/squarer crowns such as these were more popular in the 40's... I'd love to hear what the experts have to say!

DSC_6452.jpg

DSC_6454.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_6463.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice Forty you've won, great proportions.

It's '54 or later, could even be early-'60s, but more likely mid- to late-'50s. The Golden Coach logo on the sweatband was used from 1954 onward.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy