Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Very cool! Looks good on you. It is a '30s Dobbs, possibly even late '20s, but is the date the seller mentioned written in the BLOCK space on the tag? It could be block 5131. I can't see it well enough to tell.

Brad

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wondering who finally got that Dobbs. As soon as I saw that one I knew the price would skyrocket, so I didn't even try. Congrats on the new, beautiful hat!

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Wow delectans, you are coming up with some stunning hats - great shots of this one.

Beautiful proportions on this Dobbs. It looks to be in great condition too.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much for the kind words, gentlemen, they are much appreciated!

Brad: I believe you are correct. The numbers 5131, or what may appear to be 5/31, are hand-written in pencil in the BLOCK space on the tag. The DEPTH is noted as 6-1/4, and the size of 7-1/2 is also hand-written in the space below.

Neo: I wear 7-1/2s, but find that some of the HATCO lids in 7-3/8 fit me quite well, as they tend to run slightly larger. We have to get you into a vintage lid yet!

David: The hat has been worn, but lovingly cared for over the past 80 odd years. The felt is extraordinarily clean, without a single moth bite anywhere, and the leather sweatband is as supple and flexible as the one on my six-month-old VS!

Alan: lol Based upon your colorful description we have placed Batavia on our Bucket List.

Jeff: I believe the ribbon would be 19 ligne.

Josh: I am completely bewitched.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neo: I wear 7-1/2s, but find that some of the HATCO lids in 7-3/8 fit me quite well, as they tend to run slightly larger. We have to get you into a vintage lid yet!

As I recall, the seller had several vintage 7 3/8 hats. Unfortunately there is a lot of competition in my size [huh]. Oh well, at least a Lounger got the Dobbs so I could see it in action lol. Congrats!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
As I recall, the seller had several vintage 7 3/8 hats. Unfortunately there is a lot of competition in my size [huh]. Oh well, at least a Lounger got the Dobbs so I could see it in action lol. Congrats!

Thanks again, Neo! This particular seller had only this one hat that he was selling, which he said belonged to his grandfather. There were quite a few nice 7-3/8 lids the past few weeks. At least there are more 7-3/8s available than 7-1/2s.

I'm late to the party, but :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thank you, Lefty!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Thanks again, Neo! This particular seller had only this one hat that he was selling, which he said belonged to his grandfather. There were quite a few nice 7-3/8 lids the past few weeks. At least there are more 7-3/8s available than 7-1/2s.

Thank you, Lefty!

I don't know, I still think you'd look better in blue! ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Dobbs Twenty SIZE 7 1/4

Heres my latest antique store acquisition. I visited a really awesome vintage clothing store that I often frequent and have gotten friendly with the owner. She had a whole bunch of hats, but this really caught my eye. When I first saw this hat, it was a mess. The brim, crown, and underside of the brim was very dirty, stained heavily, crushed with a terrible old crease, and had a little tear in the brim right by the ribbon. I noticed a couple of moth nibbles also, but I thought the hat was really cool because the felt is a beautiful shade of baby blue with a bright purple ribbon box bow. There was no liner in the hat when I bought it, but because of the glue residue left from the liner, I thought it might date to the early 50's. I put a lot of work into the hat. I stiffed brushed, soft brushed, sanded (re-pounced), steamed, and fixed the little tear in the felt on the brim. I actually got almost all the stains and dirt out and was able to give the felt a new life and new soft texture. I was able to reshape the open crown by hand and re-flange the brim by hand. The hat doesn't fit me at all because its a 7 1/4, but with a new sweatband, it would make a great every day hat. It would be something, that someone could wear and not worry about getting dirty because the hat isnt perfect. But I will say that it honestly looks 1000 times better than when I bought it. Heres some pics:
DSC05143.jpg

DSC05142.jpg

DSC05140.jpg

DSC05136.jpg

DSC05134.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

DSC05153.jpg

DSC05147.jpg

DSC05148.jpg

DSC05149.jpg

Nice work on that old horse! Looks like a Cav/Guild/Mode edge - similar attributes to the Knox twenty dollar hat. Maybe you could shrink it a bit too?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Sweet! Great color combo on this Dobbs. Pity it doesn't fit you...

I that an overwelt on the brim or a Cav Edge?

Nice work on that old horse! Looks like a Cav/Guild/Mode edge - similar attributes to the Knox twenty dollar hat. Maybe you could shrink it a bit too?

Thanks Guys! Good eye, Alan, the edge is a Cav edge. Its a pretty big brim and the colors are pretty wild for me. It looks good on a shelf, but on my dome, probably not. I dunno, Ive never worn a baby blue and purple hat before. I do have the say, that the felt is very soft and finely done. The extra pouncing that I did really only cleaned the hat, and didnt take away from the finish at all. These Dobbs 20's are very cool.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Oops...guess I missed the baby blue part. In the photos it looks more grayish than anything else. Baby blue felt with a purple ribbon could be a tad too much indeed. I have a beautiful Mallory Cravenette in charcoal gray with slightly lighter edge binding and a deep maroon ribbon, which makes for a truly great color combo. Well, I like the photo of your Dobbs... ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Another great hat, Josh! Excellent find and nice job on the rehab for it.

Oops...guess I missed the baby blue part. In the photos it looks more grayish than anything else. Baby blue felt with a purple ribbon could be a tad too much indeed. I have a beautiful Mallory Cravenette in charcoal gray with slightly lighter edge binding and a deep maroon ribbon, which makes for a truly great color combo. Well, I like the photo of your Dobbs... ;)

Thank you very much guys! I really appreciate it. I think Ive seen pictures of that hat, Mario. If its the one that Im thinking about, it is absolutely stunning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou