Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Dobbs "Kenley". No info on this hat except that Lefty was kind enough to search a reference to 1938 for this model/style.

Hope these pics show, am new at this.
2 1/4 overwelt brim. 1 1/2" ribbon. Rogers Peet Co. for $10.00

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I like it, but keep in mind that a 1938 ad for that model doesn't mean that yours is or isn't from right around that time. Stetson used some names, like Stetsonian and The Avenue, for four decades or more. Dobbs may have done the same.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Terrific and a super price. Congratulations.

Oh my! I meant that the ORIGINAL price tag, from Rogers Peet Co. was $10.00. The tag is still under the sweat. Sorry about the confusion! However, I only pd. a little.. more than that for the hat. And I am glad you like it.
Next I gotta post pics of my blue Gay Prince!

ejbhats

A-List Customer
I like it, but keep in mind that a 1938 ad for that model doesn't mean that yours is or isn't from right around that time. Stetson used some names, like Stetsonian and The Avenue, for four decades or more. Dobbs may have done the same.[/QUOT

I had considered that but was simply using date as a name refrence. Build or replacement numbers still under liner too, if those codes give dates.

Just a bit off thread Lefty but I was looking at my Stetson Vita felt and found a date stamped inside the sweat that read "Sept. 22 1941" Is a pic of that liner and date worth adding in the Stetson date by liner thread?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Running a search for ads, the '30s Dobbs full model name appears to be the "Kenley Hall," and sold for $7.50.

Here's an ad for the "Dobbs Kenley" from 1949, selling for $10.00. The details of your hat match with late-'40s Dobbs details, and the ad reinforces that. (You may have to scroll the page up to see the ad.)

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A search of trademarks shows that "Kenley" was a hat trademark registered to Rogers & Peet with hats made by Hat Corporation of America for them. First use in commerce was 1936 (going back to the Kenley Hall), and registered in 1949. HCA supplied many hats for Rogers & Peet over the years, most of them with the Dobbs name. One would expect it to be an exclusive model to Rogers & Peet, so I'm not sure how Hughes & Hatcher (and others) got them as well.

Brad

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Thanks for all that great info Brad. At least now it's not an orphan! Maybe I should put it back to it's original shape?
It's always great to have a little history.
Eric

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs "Kenley". No info on this hat except that Lefty was kind enough to search a reference to 1938 for this model/style.
http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/mrandmrschicken/?action=view&current=mallory010.jpg

http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/mrandmrschicken/?action=view&current=mallory011.jpg

http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/mrandmrschicken/?action=view&current=mallory012.jpg
Hope these pics show, am new at this.
2 1/4 overwelt brim. 1 1/2" ribbon. Rogers Peet Co. for $10.00

Nice Dobbs, Eric! I've not heard of the Kenley but I like it.

Sincere apologies to my fellow loungers who I bid against during the auction.

Adding my Dobbs 20 to the menu. Delicious felt, finely pounced. Ideal, and expertly judged felt thickness that is both substantial, yet truly clay-like, moldable and easily dry creased.

Color: Navy Blue. Very difficult to photograph and capture accurately.
Crown: 5-1/4" at the peak, as I have it currently creased.
Ribbon: 1-5/8", with wind trolley.
Brim: 2-3/4", with Guild Edge.
Sweatband: 1-7/8".

http://img858.imageshack.us/i/fadobbs20e.jpg/

Man, that is one sweet lid, Al! If I'd come across that one when it was up for auction you've have had serious competition! I gotta tell you, though, it suits you like it was made for you. Congratulations on your find! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Very nice, Eric. Love those old Rogers Peet lids. Does the sweat or liner tip have the Rogers Peet Co. logo?

Thought I'd reply with a couple pics I did not list the first time. Glad you like them! I did forget to take a pic of the side of the sweat with the Rogers Peet logo on it, but it's there.

Eric

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Man, that is one sweet lid, Al! If I'd come across that one when it was up for auction you've have had serious competition! I gotta tell you, though, it suits you like it was made for you. Congratulations on your find! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate your kind remarks very much.

Really love your GPs. That example you wore on St. Patrick's Day is stellar!

Thought I'd reply with a couple pics I did not list the first time. Glad you like them! I did forget to take a pic of the side of the sweat with the Rogers Peet logo on it, but it's there.

Very nice, Eric, thanks for the additional photos.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I had saw that hat on ebay a while ago and I was watching it, but missed the auction. I loved the embroidered liner tip and the sweatband looked to be of very high quality leather. I love the very square shape to the block and with the 2 1/4 inch brim, it really completes the package. Beautiful hat, zetwal!!! If you ever get tired of that hat, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands....;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gentlemen. I don't have any plans right now to sell it, joshbru3. It hadn't even occurred to me. That said, you are always free to check in. I do sell and trade from time to time ... you never know.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
1931 Dated Dobbs

My oldest fedora to date. Lightweight, mocha heather finish felt easily dry creased. Purchased from the original owner's grandson via the 'Bay. Already one of my favorites.

Crown: 6" open. 5-1/4" as I have it currently creased.
Ribbon: 1-3/4".
Brim: 2-1/4", with raw edge.
Sweatband: 2-1/8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou