Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Did Dobbs continue to use the Twenty moniker into the late '60s and beyond?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any ads for them beyond 1965, or run across any reliably dateable examples. Perhaps by that point the price-named hats had lost their cachet, with the possible exception of One-hundreds. As we get to '60-'62, we start running into Twenty-five, Thirty, Thirty-five, and Forty, so a Twenty would be toward the lower end, though not the least-expensive Dobbs.

I believe that by the mid-'50s brim widths began to steadily decrease, along with a gradual transition to narrower, and then black sweats in the late '50s as Brad indicated.

And this is a good rule of thumb, though you could get the Twenty (and other models) in a variety of brim widths, as evidenced by Blackthorn's Twenty. It looks wider than a typical brim of the same period. They kept making some wider-than-fashionable brims for older gentlemen who probably wouldn't go for the latest, more youthful narrow-brim styles. My everyday Cavanagh has a 2 1/2" brim, and it's from the mid-'60s.

LoveMyHats2, that's a great find with the newspaper ad! My favorite railroad. It's always a special treat to get those extra surprises with a hat.

Brad

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Pleasure, Blackthorn. Dating vintage hats with precision is difficult at best, unless they bear specific tags such as the O.P.S.(Office Of Price Stabilization) tag, which would date production between January '51 and April '53.

I believe that by the mid-'50s brim widths began to steadily decrease, along with a gradual transition to narrower, and then black sweats in the late '50s as Brad indicated.

A fine looking hat which no doubt will get plenty of noggin time!
Thanks Al, you got that right. I love this hat. ;)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Just a small note to what Brad et al mentioned.

I believe I received this hat from the original owner and it was purchased in Pittsburgh..

Pittsburgh is well known for being at least 10 years behind the rest of the country in style etc etc.... ( not poking jest just stating a fact, even today.... This area has a larger number of elderly as most folks born here just stay here )

So the larger brim at that date would be the rule rather than the exception in Pittsburgh ....

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just a small note to what Brad et al mentioned.

I believe I received this hat from the original owner and it was purchased in Pittsburgh..

Pittsburgh is well known for being at least 10 years behind the rest of the country in style etc etc.... ( not poking jest just stating a fact, even today.... This area has a larger number of elderly as most folks born here just stay here )

So the larger brim at that date would be the rule rather than the exception in Pittsburgh ....

Sounds like here in Pueblo, another steelmaking town with the nickname "Pittsburgh of the West." Except, much of Pueblo still hasn't left the 1950s - not that I'm complaining! :D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't think so. I haven't seen any ads for them beyond 1965, or run across any reliably dateable examples. Perhaps by that point the price-named hats had lost their cachet, with the possible exception of One-hundreds. As we get to '60-'62, we start running into Twenty-five, Thirty, Thirty-five, and Forty, so a Twenty would be toward the lower end, though not the least-expensive Dobbs.

And this is a good rule of thumb, though you could get the Twenty (and other models) in a variety of brim widths, as evidenced by Blackthorn's Twenty. It looks wider than a typical brim of the same period. They kept making some wider-than-fashionable brims for older gentlemen who probably wouldn't go for the latest, more youthful narrow-brim styles. My everyday Cavanagh has a 2 1/2" brim, and it's from the mid-'60s.

LoveMyHats2, that's a great find with the newspaper ad! My favorite railroad. It's always a special treat to get those extra surprises with a hat.

Brad

Thanks, I would have never found that if not for the fact I replaced the hat band. I would guess someone had used it to help "fit" the hat more to their size. The paper had some interesting articles regarding people selling their herds of cows, dead animal removal services and a variety of "classifieds", anyone want to buy pitchfork handles $0.55 each...lol! I am going to check anything vintage from now on...ya never know!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Nor was I..... :D

it is a comfortable feeling.... and the cost of living is better than most places.
If you are living in "pitts" I have to tell you I love that area. Lots to do, and not far from the Pocono Mountains that are as beautiful as it can get. Pittsburgh rocks!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
If you are living in "pitts" I have to tell you I love that area. Lots to do, and not far from the Pocono Mountains that are as beautiful as it can get. Pittsburgh rocks!
I agree! Ordinary Guy hosted me a few weeks ago and we had a great time. I really like the Pittsburgh area now.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I agree! Ordinary Guy hosted me a few weeks ago and we had a great time. I really like the Pittsburgh area now.
Thank You for the kind words Blackthorn and Lovemyhats2 I do live just 20 minutes of the center of the city.....

It is the best IMHO. Lots to do, places to go, great food and drink and 3 rivers to cruise on, Yeah, Pittsburgh RAWKS !!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank You for the kind words Blackthorn and Lovemyhats2 I do live just 20 minutes of the center of the city.....

It is the best IMHO. Lots to do, places to go, great food and drink and 3 rivers to cruise on, Yeah, Pittsburgh RAWKS !!
Not too long ago, a car club I belong to did a tour of many of the States, and in spending some time in the Pittsburgh and Pocono area, we all agreed that we want to revisit those places more than anywhere else we traveled. I have been back to Pittsburgh a few times since.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66866377@N03/6086042323/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66866377@N03/6086593926/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66866377@N03/6086048629/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66866377@N03/6086036463/in/photostream
These are my Dobbs. The black felt one was bought at an antique store. The lady there said it belonged to the son or grandson of the second governor of Oklahoma. Go ahead and just go through flickr to see more pics of them, I just put up one pic of each.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Late 50's Dobbs Panama Straw

Here's my new to me Dobbs Panama. I love that it has a 2 3/8 inch brim. Most Panama straw hats that Ive owned had very flat wide brims, and I just think this one looks better one me. I would prefer the crown to be a bit higher, but I think it still looks nice. Even though the crown isn't as high as I usually like, there is almost no side taper in the crown. Its pretty much straight up and down.

09012011537.jpg

09012011539.jpg

09012011538.jpg

09012011540.jpg

09012011536.jpg

09012011541.jpg

09012011542.jpg

09012011543.jpg

09012011544.jpg

09012011546.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Lovely old Panama, Josh! The proportions look just right, in my opinion. I think Panamas in general have a different vibe compared with felts, and the lower crown is more in keeping with their character.

Are you wearing it higher on your head intentionally? Love that pug!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Lovely old Panama, Josh! The proportions look just right, in my opinion. I think Panamas in general have a different vibe compared with felts, and the lower crown is more in keeping with their character.

Are you wearing it higher on your head intentionally? Love that pug!

Thanks, Al! Most panamas that I have seen do have slightly lower C-crowns, even with 40's and early 50's examples. Its just weird to look in a mirror when wearing this hat because most of my hats have center dent tall crowns, so when wearing this one, I always think someone took their hand and flattened my crown, LOL.
I do like this hat though. I think the pug is just the right color for this hat. I re-adjusted the pug and saw the original color it used to be.....it was a drab olive green color. I'm REALLY glad time has aged it to a golden tan color. The hat does sit higher on my head for two reasons. Its labeled 7 LO which is a perfect size for me usually, but it seems that time has shrunk the sweatband and straw to something like a 6 7/8 LO. I would push the hat down to try and stretch it out except for the crown hits my head because its not very tall. So I have just started cocking it to one side to offset this imbalance, LOL.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Panama you got there, congrats!
Josh, you're killing me! Seriously, you're getting some real treasures lately.

Thanks, DesertDan & hatophile! I have a couple more hats coming in the mail this week and after that, I really have to slow down for a while. I just moved apartments this month and really saw how many hats I have now......it was pretty scary. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen