Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd share this here:

My Grandfather's favorite hat was a vintage Dobbs Jet 707 that he bought back in the early 70's, pictured here at my Christening in 1993:
OxwlhKY.png

It was long thought by my mother and her one sister that my grandfather was buried with this hat when he died. However, apparently my one aunt had kept the hat as it too was her favorite of my grandfathers. She gave it to my cousin, who I found wearing it in a picture in the local paper, still in great condition!
s22BwAP.jpg
Just thought this was so cool, I had to share with you guys. My cousin barely has anything of our grandfathers, as I got most of his military gear and coin collection. Just found it really neat that this hat stayed in the family. :)

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Very cool Bushman.

A lot of us wish we had a family hat story like yours. Both my grandfathers wore hats all their lives but nobody remembers what happened to them. The hats that is not my grandfathers!

Last edited:

76Dragon

New in Town
Dobbs Explorer

Hi All - New to the lounge...Was wondering if someone could give me some information on the Dobbs Explorer model. Is this a fairly recent addition to the Dobbs line or has the Explorer been around for awhile?

76Dragon

New in Town
yea i'm trying to determine if it is a pre-1970s or post-1970s hat. figured i would post here to get the expert opinions. wearing fedoras is new to me and i am on the steep learning curve. Sounds like the Dobbs Explorer is a recent/modern addition?

Some additional information, I recently purchased this hat from an online auction. It was listed as vintage from the 1960s. I am going to request a refund or store credit from the seller, but want to confirm that this hat was recently manufactured before I do that.

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
The Dobbs Jet 707 is the non plus ultra of perfection, the hat of hats, as far as I'm concerned. When I was 8, my dad gave me his old cornhill (sandy grey) one and I've kept it ever since. It literally goes with everything, even Western wear, if done correctly. I LOVE that hat!

Asmo

One of the Regulars
This thread is generally focused on vintage hats from Dobbs & Co. rather than the contemporary hats bearing this name manufactured in Texas by Hatco. Dobbs & Co. ceased making hats sometime around 1970.

Really?
Vintage only?
The opening post doesn't seem to suggest that this is a vintage only thread.
Ok, here is a thread for the Dobbs connoisseurs out there.

I just got this one on OFAS. It's a Dobbs Fifth Avenue. It's another one touted as a bowler derby.
2ee7_12.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

I don't really mean to be an ass, but your response came across as kind of snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really?
Vintage only?
The opening post doesn't seem to suggest that this is a vintage only thread.

I don't really mean to be an ass, but your response came across as kind of snarky.

Well, you are, with flying colors, too! Alan's response said GENERALLY focused on vintage, not "vintage only," as you read. But let it go, we're good!! ;)

yea i'm trying to determine if it is a pre-1970s or post-1970s hat. figured i would post here to get the expert opinions. wearing fedoras is new to me and i am on the steep learning curve. Sounds like the Dobbs Explorer is a recent/modern addition?

Some additional information, I recently purchased this hat from an online auction. It was listed as vintage from the 1960s. I am going to request a refund or store credit from the seller, but want to confirm that this hat was recently manufactured before I do that.

If you could post photos of the hat exterior and interior, that should provide the answer. There is a contemporary Dobbs hat called the Explorer - I am not familiar with a vintage hat of the same name.

SurfGent

Suspended
I only wear Stetsons. Just my flavor. I responded to add on Craig's list about what looked to be a older temple. when I arrived it was accompanied by 2 other hats one was this leather Churchill and the other was this black Dobbs. I ended up buying all there for almost nothing 30$ for all 3 with intention of selling the other 2 but after tryin out the dobbs and wearing it. It ended up growing on me. It looked good, the quality was very impressive and the point is this dobbs changed my perspective. Plus it allows me to comment on this great thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR