Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I should have a linen version done as soon as I can to the store to get lining and cording. I decided at the last minute to line the outer skirt. We'll see how it turns out!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I didn't realize there was a whole thread just for this dress!!! How inspiring! I want to make it again!!! Love all the dresses on here, so many great variations! I didn't plan on copying the cover but I found a sheet at a thrift store and decided to use it to make the dress ;)

I did go back and fix the length of the outer skirt, just don't have any new pics
utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDgtMjAxMDA1MjMtMTY0M.jpg

GrrlFriday

New in Town
ohairas said:
Ok girlies! Anyone else making one of these now, or have plans to?

GrrlFriday, that is adorable!! Love the stripes with dots and I may just steal your flower idea and put a poppy on the front of my Wizard of Oz 4790!

I have something else cookin' with this pattern, hope to share soon!

Feel free to steal away! Lord knows I've been borrowing a good deal from all you more advanced FL seamstresses in my recent projects.

HepKitty

One Too Many
here's mine, I posted this in the show what you've made thread before I found this thread (yeah I'm new can you tell. it's amazing how much stuff is here to go through, it will take months!)

I hate the buttons but they were the only ones I could find that came close in terms of color. and I do have the typical problems of the front riding up and the snaps coming undone, I still need to redo the darts (easy, ha!) since I'm way short. I love the idea with bows, I may have to try that the next time since I want to make another one eventually

GrrlFriday I love yours too!

aylsarose

New in Town
Fabric suggestions

What have some of you found to be the best fabric for this dress? Im not overly knowledgable of fabric and I would prefer something that hangs nice (not too stiff).
Im excite for my pattern to arrive (I just bought one from ebay, where there are a few available).

HepKitty

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
That is really cute fabric HepKitty! I need to finish mine up and get it posted. I got some really cute vintage hook and loop buttons I am going to use on my front opening.

thanks, I think it's more 60s than 50s but I decided not to care :p

yes please post pix when you're done!

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Here are my two. This first was just some fabric I found at Wally World for a buck a yard to make up to check fit, ect......

31942_394450776355_687936355_4652201_5161019_n.jpg

And then I made this one, which is so much more "me", but not really vintage.....

31792_397476906355_687936355_4729728_6676095_n.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
4790 BLOUSE!!

Ok girls... I've been dying to get this finished so I could show you, I'm SOOO excited and I think you all will be too!:D

Lookie what I found! And how easy it will be for all of you to adapt your 4790 to make yourselve's one! :p
It's nice to just see another option for the neckline and some sort of sleeve!!

4716262362_7a04e21096.jpg

I had some scrap gingham laying around, and *barely* got the pieces cut out, in fact~ I had to piece a section together but it's in the back wrap part so you can't see.
By the way, I could not for the life of me judge the right/wrong side of this fabric!

The pattern is a 32 bust and I'm a 36. I don't know how to up-size patterns, this is only the second garment I've ever made from a pattern, the first being the actual 4790.... (you can see that here)
So, I decided I would just cut the pattern a half inch larger all around, and could always take it in.
It also stated no hem allowances and I wasn't sure what that meant!
Anyhoo, I wish I had just cut it out as it was, I think it would've fit just fine. I have to tie it pretty tight to fit me. I'm going to sew it together under the arms like I did the dress.
4716272042_d5ab223f96.jpg

This blouse cost me less than $5 all together, I found the eyelet at a thrift store and had to buy two packs of bias tape.
4716268776_3086b2c868.jpg

And here's the finished product~
4715623147_afd8cbfcbc.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
Adorable, O'haira's. I may try something like this as I like how the top of the 4790 fits but just can't swing the full circle skirt. Not the most flattering look on me.
It may just remain a sewing room UFO.
Anyway, here is mine, with bias tape I made, and the buttons that might eventually go on it.
36700_1141106304878_1744062716_265274_834376_n.jpg

This is an adorable pattern Nikki! Love it!
I finished my 4790 yesterday but one of the hooks on the buttons broke so I have to put the saps on instead. Will finish that up and post later.

ohairas said:
Ok girls... I've been dying to get this finished so I could show you, I'm SOOO excited and I think you all will be too!:D

Lookie what I found! And how easy it will be for all of you to adapt your 4790 to make yourselve's one! :p
It's nice to just see another option for the neckline and some sort of sleeve!!

4716262362_7a04e21096.jpg

I had some scrap gingham laying around, and *barely* got the pieces cut out, in fact~ I had to piece a section together but it's in the back wrap part so you can't see.
By the way, I could not for the life of me judge the right/wrong side of this fabric!

The pattern is a 32 bust and I'm a 36. I don't know how to up-size patterns, this is only the second garment I've ever made from a pattern, the first being the actual 4790.... (you can see that here)
So, I decided I would just cut the pattern a half inch larger all around, and could always take it in.
It also stated no hem allowances and I wasn't sure what that meant!
Anyhoo, I wish I had just cut it out as it was, I think it would've fit just fine. I have to tie it pretty tight to fit me. I'm going to sew it together under the arms like I did the dress.
4716272042_d5ab223f96.jpg

This blouse cost me less than $5 all together, I found the eyelet at a thrift store and had to buy two packs of bias tape.
4716268776_3086b2c868.jpg

And here's the finished product~
4715623147_afd8cbfcbc.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ohairas-That blouse is adorable. I use that word alot but it really is.
I love seeing what everyon is doing with the Butterick pattern. I loved making the dress but wish it was more flattering on me.

December

One of the Regulars
I'm just putting the finishing touches to my version and have noticed that the arm holes on mine are not too big as such- they're far too wide! When I wear the dress, the armhole is so far over that it doesn't cover the side of my bra!

Only on one side though, the other side is fine [huh]

I'm hoping it won't be too visible when it's being worn properly, otherwise I'll have to wear a camisole underneath.

HepKitty

One Too Many
ohairas that blouse is to die for, I love it! so wish I could get my hands on the pattern to spare me the agony of modifying/testing the butterick... lol yes you can call me lazy

aylsarose

New in Town
How much material?

Im waiting for my pattern to arrive but will be near a fabric store today and was wondering how much material I will need for the largest size doing the two contrast colors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points