Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

Hestia

Familiar Face
Thanks exquisitebones and cynroux!

It's worth another try if you're up to pinning all that bias tape again, cynroux- as long as the waist fits snugly it all holds together well. It would be a "very easy" pattern if they would actually bother to size it right!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
butterick4699.jpg

I though this was an interesting wrap dress. 3 arm holes? Okay...

LD

crwritt

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
butterick4699.jpg

I though this was an interesting wrap dress. 3 arm holes? Okay...

LD

This looks familiar. I remember a neighbor lady wearing a dress made from this pattern.
It must have been comfortable, she wore it a lot.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
3 armhole dress

I had one of those when I was about in say 3rd grade. It totally rocked.

Happily I hunted down a pattern for this and got it off e-bay. SCORE!

No way I am going to do all that bias tape with out a handy-dandy bias tape foot, though.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I am starting this dress this weekend, and given that this will be my first forray into the world of dressmaking, uhmm, ever, I am quite scared! Eeep!:eusa_doh:

crwritt

One Too Many
Miss Crisplock said:
I had one of those when I was about in say 3rd grade. It totally rocked.

Happily I hunted down a pattern for this and got it off e-bay. SCORE!

No way I am going to do all that bias tape with out a handy-dandy bias tape foot, though.
This should be a very comfy summer dress.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
GrrlFriday said:
I just started The Walkaway Dress. I'm pretty new to sewing. I got my machine for Christmas and I've done two really simple skirts and a tunic so far. Here's hoping this one doesn't do me in.
If you don't have to make any adjustments to the pattern than it's pretty simple. I an not new to sewing but I still feel like a novice and I was suprised at how easy the dress was to make.

GrrlFriday

New in Town
The body of the dress came together really easily and quickly. I was surprised that even my darts didn't suck. But now I'm stuck. I chose a fun hot pink polka dot fabric and black bias tape. The black now seems way to "heavy," if you know what I mean. So I'm thinking of switching it out for either hot pink or bright yellow bias tape. Can't decide.

Are there are any NYC Loungers who know where I can find a wide range of bias tape colors? M&J's selection was limited to neutrals.

crwritt

One Too Many
GrrlFriday said:
The body of the dress came together really easily and quickly. I was surprised that even my darts didn't suck. But now I'm stuck. I chose a fun hot pink polka dot fabric and black bias tape. The black now seems way to "heavy," if you know what I mean. So I'm thinking of switching it out for either hot pink or bright yellow bias tape. Can't decide.

Are there are any NYC Loungers who know where I can find a wide range of bias tape colors? M&J's selection was limited to neutrals.

You can make your own bias tape. Why limit yourself?
http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/How_Tos/free_how_to_make_bias_tape.html

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Grrl Friday, I try to avoid M&J as much as possible. Too pricey there. I really like Daytona Trimming and there's another shop on W 38th St bet 7th & 8th Ave Called Pacific Trimming. They have a great selection of bias tape. That's where I got mine for my walkway dress. The bias tape is the most tedious and time consuming part of the dress.

GrrlFriday

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestion, JennifeRose7. I went to Daytona but they didn't have the color I wanted. Thanks for the link crwitt. I will try to make my own when my sewing/cutting skills improve some.

In the meanwhile, I trekked to Joann's in Staten Island and got what I needed and finally finished this baby. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48423788@N08/4473758768/

(Grr. I can't figure out how to post the picture in the post.)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok girlies! Anyone else making one of these now, or have plans to?

GrrlFriday, that is adorable!! Love the stripes with dots and I may just steal your flower idea and put a poppy on the front of my Wizard of Oz 4790!

I have something else cookin' with this pattern, hope to share soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana