Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

crwritt

One Too Many
aylsarose said:
Im waiting for my pattern to arrive but will be near a fabric store today and was wondering how much material I will need for the largest size doing the two contrast colors?
Lightweight broadcloth, pique, lightweight linen and taffeta
for size 22 44" bust Contrast (back and skirt) 3 3/4 45" wide. 3 1/8 60"wide
front 1 3/8 45 or 60 wide unsuitable for obvious diagonals
3 pkgs 1/2" double fold bias tape, 3 5/8" buttons

aylsarose

New in Town
Went to the 'big' city and picked out my material. Now just have to wait for the pattern to arrive. Which I wouldnt have had to do because the store I went to had lots of the pattern. Oh well what can you do.
My sister has even picked material and wants me to make her one, I sure hope I dont have to many struggles, lol.

DSCN2577.jpg

The green print will be the outside

crwritt

One Too Many
Alysarose, I like the color combo! I was just looking at your avatar. Is that a toilet paper holder made of high heeled pumps?

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
It it wrong to hate "the dress" I made this and it looks simply aweful! In fact I looked like a German female football player. All this did was accentuate all the feature i hate about be. I gave it away and ecided never to make it again. ALthough I do have another pattern for a wrap around I am going to try, a 150's simplicty wrap dress. ;0) Maybe I will have better luck then.lol

crwritt

One Too Many
GoddessMama said:
It it wrong to hate "the dress" I made this and it looks simply aweful! In fact I looked like a German female football player. All this did was accentuate all the feature i hate about be. I gave it away and decided never to make it again. ALthough I do have another pattern for a wrap around I am going to try, a 150's simplicty wrap dress. ;0) Maybe I will have better luck then.lol

Mine will probably remain a UFO. Not every style flatters every figure.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Aylsarose, that's going to make a really cute dress!
Goddessmomma, you're not alone. I made a muslin of the pattern and tossed it in the garbage. It does nothing for my figure either. Crwritt is right, not every style fits every figure. That's one of the reasons why I make a muslin of every new pattern before cutting my fashion fabric. Throwing out $1.99 muslin is much easier on the wallet and the heart.

aylsarose

New in Town
Pattern has arrive in great timing. Will start the dress tomorrow when daughter is in daycare and we will see how long it takes and how it looks on me. Will post pics when finished.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
GoddessMama said:
It it wrong to hate "the dress" I made this and it looks simply aweful! In fact I looked like a German female football player. All this did was accentuate all the feature i hate about be. I gave it away and ecided never to make it again. ALthough I do have another pattern for a wrap around I am going to try, a 150's simplicty wrap dress. ;0) Maybe I will have better luck then.lol

It ain't wrong. I dislike everything about "the dress" (I only like to see how people design it!) Mine bags under my arms no matter what I do, the underdress rides up, and the full outer skirt makes me feel like I'm lugging it around (as opposed to WEARING it!) Plus I think I look fat in it. I'll stick to slimmer 30s and 40s skirts :D

crwritt

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
It ain't wrong. I dislike everything about "the dress" (I only like to see how people design it!) Mine bags under my arms no matter what I do, the underdress rides up, and the full outer skirt makes me feel like I'm lugging it around (as opposed to WEARING it!) Plus I think I look fat in it. I'll stick to slimmer 30s and 40s skirts :D

I pretty much agree with you, mine will be a UFO.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
crwritt said:
The fabric is pretty, did you notice the bust to neckline darts?I guess everyone who has tried this pattern has had some fitting trouble with it. Is the seller claiming this to be an original 50's version?

That's what it looks like the seller is stating.

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
My version

Well here's my version which I also posted in Show us what you've made... thread

lynmik71

Bit worried about the skirt separating while dancing and it holding together under the arms. I think I'll do what someone else mentioned and sew it together under the arms to prevent the gaping. Still it turned out ok even if it did reinforce my hatred to bias binding lol

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
hi ladies,

i have this pattern and have bought some cheap (ish!) cotton to make this dress. my original plan is to make a mock up first then get some fabric i really like to make it with.

i am a relative newbie to this sewing malarkey having only made a couple of skirts and easy things, so i am nervous! can anyone give me any dummy-proof pointers about sizing? my waist is 2 sizes smaller than my bust and hips so i was planning on doing the larger size then winging it tbh with the darts!

any useful pointers from you seasoned sewers? :)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Jasmine Jolene said:
hi ladies,

i have this pattern and have bought some cheap (ish!) cotton to make this dress. my original plan is to make a mock up first then get some fabric i really like to make it with.

i am a relative newbie to this sewing malarkey having only made a couple of skirts and easy things, so i am nervous! can anyone give me any dummy-proof pointers about sizing? my waist is 2 sizes smaller than my bust and hips so i was planning on doing the larger size then winging it tbh with the darts!

any useful pointers from you seasoned sewers? :)
With the gaping problem people seem to be having i'd suggest you make it in the size of your waist, its a full skirt so the hips shouldn't matter.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
Mine rode up in the back also. I ended up giving it away, I liked the way the top looked on me and I have liked it on a lot of people. I guess it's just not for everyone. I did have alot of fun making it and I wore it once so it wasn't a total loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112