Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
a tip -

A tip for you gals to help avoid the fighting with the seam binding.... use a blind hem foot on your sewing machine and you will get a perfectly spaced line of stitching at the edge of your seam binding.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Heres mine

Yellow4750.jpg
[/IMG]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just love seeing all the wonder color combinations and fabrics everyone is using for their dresses!

I'm doing the hem tonight and am only halfway done pinning it. OMG this thing is going to be the death of me!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I'm doing the hem tonight and am only halfway done pinning it. OMG this thing is going to be the death of me!

I'm right with you KittyT! Today was one of those days I was glad no one could see me; after tacking a chalk covered string across a doorway I was spinning like a dervish trying to get all 10,000 yards of that (censored) skirt marked so I could pin the hem up. The things we do for fashion!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I'm right with you KittyT! Today was one of those days I was glad no one could see me; after tacking a chalk covered string across a doorway I was spinning like a dervish trying to get all 10,000 yards of that (censored) skirt marked so I could pin the hem up. The things we do for fashion!

Oh, I didn't bother to mark the hem. With a skirt that full, really no one is going to notice if it's not perfectly even.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Just flipped through my JoAnn's circular for this week. (Silly me with all the coupons inside!) and I noticed that the Butterick patterns are on sale for $1.99 each up until tomorrow the 15th. So if anyone perusing this thread and was interested in making the dress. Now would be a good time to pick it up.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHuff said:
Just flipped through my JoAnn's circular for this week. (Silly me with all the coupons inside!) and I noticed that the Butterick patterns are on sale for $1.99 each up until tomorrow the 15th. So if anyone perusing this thread and was interested in making the dress. Now would be a good time to pick it up.

All of them? I know the Retro patterns are more expensive than the regular Butterick patterns.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Yep, everything's 1.99. I just picked up the 4790 to try after being inspired here. I've always liked the sketch on the pattern but never knew if I'd like it when it was done. I also picked up the B5032.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
The capelet is actually what drew me to the pattern. I think it's adorable. After I finish this horribly evil corset drafting project I'm working on I'm going to start on that one because for me fall feels like slim skirt time. lol

crwritt

One Too Many
I just gave in to curiosity and bought 4790. Now to find five yards of fabric I actually like! At the same time I picked up 6582
http://www.butterick.com/item/B6582.htm
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5029.htm
and 4725. I haven't sewn Butterick patterns before. Does the sizing run true?

I say this because I've been working on a fitted jacket from Simplicity 4273 and found the ease is way overgenerous, even though I went by the actual measures printed on the pattern pieces, I still had to take in the sleeves and sides more than an inch.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm so frustrated with this project right now! I cut the neckline lower, not even wider on the sides, and it now sits really wide on the shoulders, threatening to slide off my super-slopey shoulders. Also the tops of the shoulders are really wide on me and stick off the edge of my shoulders. I realized after I got everything together, that it was too long in the bodice, so I took it up in the shoulders. Of course, after doing that, the fabric bunches up in front and in back of the arms. I don't want to take the scissors to this anymore because I'm sure I'll ruin it. I think this project, especially with those super annoying side darts that are so close to the edge of the fabric, is just still too advanced for me.

I'm going to just finish up the seam binding on the arms and see how it turns out, but as it is now, I'm really unhappy with this.

Of course, a dress form would probably help greatly. I just can't pin on myself!

Josephine

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I'm so frustrated with this project right now! I cut the neckline lower, not even wider on the sides, and it now sits really wide on the shoulders, threatening to slide off my super-slopey shoulders. Also the tops of the shoulders are really wide on me and stick off the edge of my shoulders.

That's what happened to me! I finally had to put it on inside out and make darts that came straight up from the ends of the bust darts (not the ends at the edge of the fabric, the ends right on your bust) to bring in the shoulders. I got the darts lopsided though, so my dress had an asymmetrical neck. :rolleyes:

I think the shoulders are supposed to stick out a little bit, like a fake sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot