Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

Kitty M

New in Town
Josephine said:
I've been trying to think of a way to bring the front together, as I think the front pulls apart too much even with snaps. I was thinking Velcro (too bulky), or hooks (I can never get them lined up right). But the bow just might solve my problem! :)

From memory I put three buttons with button loops down the front. I'll have to check when I get home. I'll also see if I can organise a photo to post on here. I made it for a friend who chose delustered satin for her fabrics. eek!

RueBea

New in Town
I made this dress over the summer. I made it with the intention of skating in it, but my team has changed the uniform for the season, and I have since lost a considerable amount of weight, and it just doesn't fit right anymore. I do have plans to make another one for sure. Love it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RueBea said:
I made this dress over the summer. I made it with the intention of skating in it, but my team has changed the uniform for the season, and I have since lost a considerable amount of weight, and it just doesn't fit right anymore. I do have plans to make another one for sure. Love it!

Ha! I see we have another roller derby gal here. Welcome :)

I dunno about skating in 4790 though. It just doesn't offer good coverage over the rear and doesn't stay in place!

RueBea

New in Town
KittyT said:
Ha! I see we have another roller derby gal here. Welcome :)

I dunno about skating in 4790 though. It just doesn't offer good coverage over the rear and doesn't stay in place!

Thank You. I am very excited to be here!

The skirt does tend fly open when it catches the wind, So it is a good thing the team changed it up a bit with the uniforms. I will be making another one to wear for everyday. I just love the dress, it's so comfortable.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RueBea said:
Thank You. I am very excited to be here!

The skirt does tend fly open when it catches the wind, So it is a good thing the team changed it up a bit with the uniforms. I will be making another one to wear for everyday. I just love the dress, it's so comfortable.

I found that even just walking around in that dress made the sheath ride forward and the overskirt ride back, even with a slip underneath. I found it to be a very poorly designed pattern and at some point will be adding extra fabric and a strip of snap tape down the back of the underskirt.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton_Honey said:
Here I am with my daughter wearing my version of it - I'm leaning over funny, so it's not the best view of the dress, but you get the idea..

dress.jpg

Ah! The bow! What a great idea!

Myn

New in Town
A possible solution to the U shape

In response to Deadpandiva's question about how to make the V shape happen--

I was reading through the Feb/Mar issue of Threads magazine and in the Question and Answer section, someone wants to know, "I've drafted a pattern with a deep V in the back. The pattern looks right, but my test muslin doesn't fit snugly against they body. How can I fix this gaping V?"

Threads says that the edges of the V have probably been cut against the grain and are going to stretch until they are stabilized. They suggest handbasting a narrow strip silk organza selvage or lightweight interfacing cut on the grain to stop the stretching.

If the V extends to the waist as it does in our pattern, try inserting a waist stay. A waist stay is like a narrow waistband that you sew on the inside of the dress to help hold up the bodice.

The whole point of the walkaway dress is that you can make it very quickly, put it on and walkaway with it, so seems like putting in a waiststay defeats that whole purpose. I'm thinking that maybe the dress needs a poofy petticoat underneath to support the weight of the dress and make the V shape?

I'm still new to sewing so I don't know enough to know for sure!

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
Iv'e done two versions so far and I think I may make more. The blue gingham one gets comments all the time.

butterick.jpg

I also just purchased this simplicity 1964 version which I am dying to try, I love the pockets.

simplicity.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
This really makes me want to pull mine from the drawer, half done. I am just stumped on how to finish it. I can't seem to get the skirt hemmed right. I keep trying and ending up frustrated. I was making mine out of blue gingham too so your picture is taunting me!!!!!!!!

Bubbly

New in Town
Fluffy that black and white version is divine! I love it!

This dress is adorable, regardless, and I wish I had a proper dress form to be able to construct such things. :(

I'll have to add it to my to-do list!

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
This dress is adorable, regardless, and I wish I had a proper dress form to be able to construct such things.

I made my own dress form out of duct tape, there are loads of websites that show you how to do this, so it was very cheap and my body size. :D

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
l_a8e1223805973fc6f165573484503a33.jpg

That is mine. The shoulders are too big and the armholes gap. I need to fix them but I'm not sure if I can do it. [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
backdress.jpg

I have this older simplicity that is much like your 60s version. I have to say tho, I find this smock dress VERY unflattering to me, so I only made it once. :eek:

LD

Are you interested in selling the pattern ;) I love your pattern, I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

lillielil

Familiar Face
This was the first thing I ever made! I'll have to see if I have a picture. I may not, since it is very unflattering. Mine's black on the back and the front (inside) is a cool dia de los muertos pattern on a black background.

I actually intend to take it apart and make it fit better. From the pattern, the bust darts weren't nearly deep enough, so I have to wear a shirt under it or risk exposing the sides of my chest for all the world to see. Also, I found that when I walked in it, the front/inner part would ride up until it was around my waist, even when I wore a slip. The back/outer part stayed put just fine. Did anyone else have that problem?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Well, months later and mine is finally finished. I had big issues with it. It made up massive, and I had to really cut down the size. Also , the neckline seemed to just look a little weird on me, so I just chucked it in my 'unfinshed items' witout any buttons on and forgot about it...until today! I have butchered it drastically and completely changed the neckline. Excuse the photos, I have just been sat in the house all day so my hair and makeup are not done or anything, and it's a bit creasy:

IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg

I'm moving house, thus the bulging binliners and stuff everywhere!

The back:

IMG_0365.jpg

and the neckline:

IMG_0368.jpg

I really didn't like it before, but it's quite grown on me now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21