Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well I finished my dress and am happy with my sewing, for the most part. I lowered the neckline and had to take it up in the shoulders. I also angled out the front of the overskirt so that the sheath underneath would be more visible.

Unfortunately, after all my work, I don't especially like the dress. I think the design of it is poor. The overskirt catches the wind, which is unnerving given the lack of coverage provided by the underskirt. Most annoyingly, the underskirt also tends to ride forward, as there's nothing to hold it in the back! I wore this dress to a car show on Saturday and kept having to run to the ladies room to pull the skirt back. Also, because the front and back are only attached at the shoulders, I find that the bodice shifts around a lot and you keep having to readjust the dress.

For anyone else who's making this dress, a couple of recommendations:

* Add a snap under each arm, where the 2 pieces cross.

* Cut the pieces of the front sheath that reach around the back longer and add strips of that snap tape down the back so that you can secure the entire back edge of the sheath to prevent it from riding forward.

I'll try to post pics soon! I learned a lot making this dress and I think it looks nice, as long as you're not trying to move around in it. I wouldn't make this dress again, though.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I finally wore mine yesterday. I made it from waffle cotton with a linen like embriodered front panel. It's very heavy and it's been to hot here in Vegas to wear it. Anyways, I thought is was one of the most comfortable dresses I own and plan to make a couple more in light weight material, probably in floral for a day dress run to the store look. I did make the front and back waist firm when they do up and had no slipping at all. I wore a semi full crinoline underneath.

000_1885.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Most annoyingly, the underskirt also tends to ride forward, as there's nothing to hold it in the back! I wore this dress to a car show on Saturday and kept having to run to the ladies room to pull the skirt back.

I have to agree with this bit, I kept having to twitch the front skirt into place after I got up from sitting as it had bunched and wouldn't fall back on its own.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
GoldwynGirl, that's just lovely! I've been reading this thread trying to decide if I wanted to attempt this pattern. I am inspired by GG's version of it. (I'm a sucker for black dresses).

crwritt, I have 6582, but haven't started on it yet. It will be my New Year's Eve party dress. If you have sewn with McCall's or Simplicity, the fit is similar. I'll share the best advice an old timer gave me, forget the chart on the back of the envelope! On the actual paper pattern peices, they print the finished measurment. This is what the garment will be once complete. These are the only measurments that count. The chart may say that a size 40in bust needs a 20, but if the finished garment is 48in in the bust, you can probably go down a size or even two. It also depends on how you're built. For example, my bust measurment is 44. According to the chart, I would wear a 24. BUT, my bra size is 38G. A size 24 would be HUGE in the shoulders. I usually cut a size 16 and add only to the bust, because the 16 fits me perfectly every where else. The best way to work with a new pattern is to try it out is cheap, ugly fabric first.

crwritt

One Too Many
crwritt, I have 6582, but haven't started on it yet. It will be my New Year's Eve party dress. If you have sewn with McCall's or Simplicity, the fit is similar. I'll share the best advice an old timer gave me, forget the chart on the back of the envelope! On the actual paper pattern peices, they print the finished measurment. This is what the garment will be once complete. These are the only measurments that count. The chart may say that a size 40in bust needs a 20, but if the finished garment is 48in in the bust, you can probably go down a size or even two. It also depends on how you're built. For example, my bust measurment is 44. According to the chart, I would wear a 24. BUT, my bra size is 38G. A size 24 would be HUGE in the shoulders. I usually cut a size 16 and add only to the bust, because the 16 fits me perfectly every where else. The best way to work with a new pattern is to try it out is cheap, ugly fabric first.[/QUOTE]

I've sewn for many years, and still get thrown off by ease in the patterns. On that Simplicity jacket,4273, I went by the measure printed on the pattern pieces, and still had to take in the sleeves and side seams more than an inch. My bust measures 42, but I wear a 40B bra, I have a big ribcage. Funny how weight is distributed differently on everyone. I think I have the fabric for 5682 a metallic embroidered black linen, or another embroidered linen I have with sequined circles on it. I am leaning toward the straight wiggle version, rather than the full skirt.

After reading the comments on fit problems with 4790, I wonder if its worth nearly five yards of even cheap ugly fabric, in which case I would never wear it. $1 cute fabric, maybe, but that is hard to come by in 5 yard quantities. This was the best selling pattern of its day. I'll show it to my Mom and ask her if it looks familiar. She sewed some really cute things for herself when she was in nursing school in the 50's, like a gray and pink plaid suit with matching hat and scarf.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried to make this with the V shape as it appears on the envelope? I am wondering if it would be hard to alter the pattern.

crwritt

One Too Many
Has anyone tried to make this with the V shape as it appears on the envelope? I am wondering if it would be hard to alter the pattern.

Not really sure what you mean by this. I think the tiny waist in the pattern envelope drawing is exaggerated.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
crwritt said:

Not really sure what you mean by this. I think the tiny waist in the pattern envelope drawing is exaggerated.

The art on the envelope does not seem to match the finished dress. It may just be my eyes playing tricks on me. After reading all the other comments in this thread I don't think I'll make the dress at all. It seems rather complicated for a "Very Easy Pattern".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
The art on the envelope does not seem to match the finished dress. It may just be my eyes playing tricks on me. After reading all the other comments in this thread I don't think I'll make the dress at all. It seems rather complicated for a "Very Easy Pattern".

The only thing I found to be different is that the finished pattern neckline is higher than the neckline in the pattern drawing. Other than that, it's pretty spot on. I think what's made it more difficult is that a lot of us have modified the dress to our liking. Also, at least in my case, I just don't think it's a well-designed garment. Cute as all hell, but not practical.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:

Like this?

The pattern:

B4790.jpg

1563733188_4b27360420_o.jpg

Modeled by lovely Miss Josephine:

Butterick4790B.gif

Butterick4790A.gif

Josephine

One Too Many
Hamilton_Honey said:
Here I am with my daughter wearing my version of it - I'm leaning over funny, so it's not the best view of the dress, but you get the idea..

Dude! That bow is brilliant. I've been trying to think of a way to bring the front together, as I think the front pulls apart too much even with snaps. I was thinking Velcro (too bulky), or hooks (I can never get them lined up right). But the bow just might solve my problem! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Dude! That bow is brilliant. I've been trying to think of a way to bring the front together, as I think the front pulls apart too much even with snaps. I was thinking Velcro (too bulky), or hooks (I can never get them lined up right). But the bow just might solve my problem! :)

The bow is great! I used 2 hooks and a snap on mine and it was perfect, except that sewing those suckers on is a pain.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
WOW! What a flashback. I made this dress over five years ago. It was my first attempt at a dress after not having sewed since jr. high home economics! Needless to say I will not be posting any pics of that pitiful excuse of a dress, but I did recently pull the pattern to make another respectable version of it.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Mine languished away half made for a while and I just got it out again. I think I'm going to completely modify the top though, the neckline just doesn't suit me. I'm also thinking of stealing that genius bow idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner