Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a MkVII reproduction with the optional leather strap from What Price Glory. I was considering an original WWII version that they sell, but decided to go with a new one that I wouldnt have to guess the condition of.

Also, the original has a cotton strap that wasn't a problem in and of itself, but one person (in the reviews) said the strap on the one he bought broke, and another said that its too short when worn across the chest, which is the way I will be wearing it.

Impressions to follow.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Now that Ive had a chance to test drive it for a couple of weeks, Id like to say that the MkVII respirator 'Indy' bag I got from WPG is exactly what I wanted.

The quality is great, the size is perfect. Everything fits perfectly. Its like they asked me what I had to put in it, and what the measurements of the items were.

The look is exactly what was after. I like the green (OD) look. I prefer this bag's snaps over double slide buckles, or heaven-forbid - velcro. The leather strap, although not original, is the perfect length for the intended across the chest wearing.

phanen

New in Town
Corso's Bag

Corso's bag is a "French Musette mle 1935"

1153496.gif

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Ive got a black, south african army bag from the local army surplus store. I'll post photos later.
Wolfe

Glenn77

New in Town
Purse

I have carried a purse for more than 25 years. I have never been embarrassed to call it just that....a purse. I use a purse because I can't stand stuffed, bulging pockets. Especially today with cell phones and God knows what else.

I have had a variety of styles. Most have been hand-held types. Right now I am using a shoulder bag. It's made by Tumi. It is black leather and measures about 6 x 9 inches. Here is what I can carry in it; an iPhone, my wallet, a calendar and a checkbook, all in the main compartment.

Other compartments hold a swiss army knife, two pens, business cards, an eyeglass cleaner, a tin of Tylenol and breath mints. Other items (such as boarding passes, mapquest printouts) come and go as needed.

I carry only two keys and those go on a separate clip outside the bag along with an AA medallion (33 years).

The best thing about carrying a purse is organizing it the way you like.

One word of caution if you are considering carrying a purse. As men, we are not conditioned to doing so, and as a result. it takes a while before you stop leaving it behind in restaurants, movie theaters, etc. i have done this many times. Happy to say, I have never lost one.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Most of the time, I don't carry enough stuff with me to warrant the bulk of a bag, but I do carry my MK VII bag when on day trips.

I don't feel self conscious about the bag. Heck, it's a freaking war surplus replica meant to carry a gas mask tethered to me with a rifle sling... if that isn't manly, I don't know what is!

Randy

davestlouis

Practically Family
In reading this thread, I have to surmise that a lot of people spend more time on foot than I do...I carry a black leather softside briefcase-type-thingie into sales calls, but the rest of my accumulated stuff lives in the trunk of my car. I either meet families at the office, or their home, so the car is always nearby if I need special forms or whatnot. I travel pretty light.

I have no particular objection to carrying a satchel, just don't have the need.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Ultimate Man Purse

I give you the ultimate mans purse! The best part is, it was free for test riding a Buell motorcycle! I got it a few years ago when Buell was ridding high. I counted 15 pockets, sunglasses, cell phone, water bottle, even a laptop compartment. I am surprised by who likes it, it is handy, just through it over your shoulder, and away you go. Plus, when it is hot, you can pick up speed and it is hovering away from your back, nice and cool unlike a back pack. I just got back from our British motorcycle club officers meeting, where I wore the satchel. I almost ended up with two, but they ran out just before my second test ride, but I did get two nice camel water packs. Wish they were still in business, can't imagine what they might have given away next!
IMG_3483.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nothing like getting to a thread a couple years too late! Ah, well...

In any event, I snapped this photo on a recent trip and thought I'd post it here. Tommy Bahama Messenger Bag (topped by a Stratoliner)...

Strat-1.jpg

This one has been a fantastic bag on my travels.

Cheers,
JtL

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Here's my man purse:

Condor%20Medium%20Assault%20Pack.jpg

I won't list all the items I carry in it (GPS, Survival Blanket, 4 extra .45mags, heat packs, 1st aid kit etc etc etc) plus a ton of sundry items like meds that I need on a daily basis, extra contacts etc.

It is sitting right next to my desk here at work (no the fire arm is NOT here) and everyone jokes that it is my Man Purse so that's what I call it!

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Picked up a Keneth Cole man bag about a year & a half ago - Looks like a distressed vintage khaki gas mask case with shoulder strap - Not expensive - well made - holds a ton o stuff very manly & goes with anything other than formal.
That being said
I have always chuckled privately when I see men out with their wives /girlfriends shopping & when their lady hands them her purse so she has hands free or wants to try something on the guy holds it like they are carrying toxic waste.
I have always just thrown it over my shoulder & followed along, never for a minute feeling self conscious & totally secure in my manhood.
I was glad to find this thread because it proves there are many men who are as equally secure and able to carry the bag with style.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Here's my man purse:

I won't list all the items I carry in it (GPS, Survival Blanket, 4 extra .45mags, heat packs, 1st aid kit etc etc etc) plus a ton of sundry items like meds that I need on a daily basis, extra contacts etc.

It is sitting right next to my desk here at work (no the fire arm is NOT here) and everyone jokes that it is my Man Purse so that's what I call it!

I am sorry that is Horrid!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's my man purse:

In addition to my Mk VII, I also carry a 'school bag,' only when going to work, which your bag there reminds me of. Iow, its a bit big to be a 'purse,' imho.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
In reading this thread, I have to surmise that a lot of people spend more time on foot than I do...

It would be interesting to me if more people had their actual location in their profile, instead of the many whimsical locations many have chosen.

I’ve always suspected appreciation for vintage material culture is stronger in more urban areas - probably because the built environment is so resoundingly vintage. Thus, I would expect many of the folks responding to this thread are city dwellers, and spend accordingly more time on foot and riding mass transit, and therefore can’t rely on having things stashed in their automobile.

My brother is currently traveling on a work visa in Ireland. As I do, he has a deep appreciation for history and quality, although he’s more modern in his aesthetics. Still, I’ve noticed in the photos he’s sent home that he’s never without his 1942-dated M3-10-6 gas mask bag. I believe it’s got his camera gear stowed inside.

-Dave

AEH

One of the Regulars
Swiss Army - Corporal's Leather Bag

Got this bag off eBay a few weeks ago. It's rather small, 24x17x6 cm, but it's just what I need when my shoulder hurts too much for carrying a heavier bag. Very thick leather and sturdy construction. Very Swiss Army :) . The lid has a small pocket for pens, else the inside is rather raw, and I am thinking of lining it with some thin leather to avoid scratchings from the hardware. I have no idea what the strap on the backside is for, it's fastened on the underside on a stud, in the same way as the front strap.
Love it!

Sellers pictures:
swissarmyveske.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner