The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Sonero, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

Men's purse or not is all a cultural issue, if it could be named an issue. This shot is from the largest and most important men's fashion event in the world: Pitti Uomo. Buyers come from all over the world to bring home the last collections. Most of these buyers come from the US. These people in the picture are on the street to show what fashion designers did. As you can see there are bags everywhere! And anyway USA has a long tradition on men's bags. I am just thinking to Filson as well other brands.
    dbe101391d39a0bb9753fe2f1b2f7705.jpg

Trenchfriend likes this.
  2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

I don't see anything wrong with their bags but they sure are dressed funny.

Alz likes this.
  3. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

BlueTrain: just another cultural difference. Here those men are dressed according to the "classic style" with just a modern touch (such as slimmest jackets or shorter trousers) while they are funny for you. Just yesterday I was reading a Brunello Cucinelli's interview (high end men's fashion brand) and he complained saying about his trousers: "The width must be 20.7 centimetres. (The Americans used to always push me for wider trousers. They wanted 23 - huge, But I knew what gave it my look)". All in all I think these point of views make the world a nice place to explore.

4. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen One of the Regulars

Murse?! NEVER!

Actually, you CAN fit all that in your pockets depending on what kind of pockets you have. My personal style is cargo pants or cargo shorts.
    For example:
    [​IMG][​IMG]With a Henley or button down shirt.

For cigar cutter, you could get a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with cigar cutter in it and it would also give you a few other manly tools at your immediate disposal (they have smaller models with the cutter if this looks too large).
    [​IMG]

With shirt pockets and pants pockets, I don't see any trouble carrying that light load you listed.

For the topic, here is my satchel.
    [​IMG]It's a Filson. It's serious overkill for the small items you wish to carry. You'd fit all that in one side pocket of that bag.

Man purse, fanny packs, etc. No way! Not for me. Aside from my personal opinion that they look feminine and ridiculous on a man...I prefer to travel packed. Meaning, if something comes up, I don't want to have my kit in a bag/pack that could be lost, stolen, or confiscated. I want my essential gear ON ME. That's how I did it in the Army and it has proved to be the safest, IMO. Fortunately, I carry less these days than I had to in the service so loading all the essential stuff on my person is easy. Knife, phone, glasses, lighter, keys, flashlight, wallet, etc. it all rides on my body. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonero likes this.
  5. totallyfrozen

There is some medical legitimacy to what you state. For example, one of the physical characteristics of Fragile X Syndrome (the leading cause of mental retardation) in males is large genitalia.
    I think we're digressing into a discussion of the other kind of "man bag" than where the OP was going with this. LOL!

Edward likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, they do look funny - but this is a common look on the train I catch - the fashionable, slightly silly looking slim fit too short pants and jacket with slim fit too short sleeves. Still it could be worse.

In relation to bags - I carry a range of them depending on weather and what I'm up to. I can't believe anyone would ever have a problem with men carrying bags. I hate carrying things in pockets unless I have to.

Edward and Alz like this.
  7. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

Filson Satchel YES , Cargo anything NO

Seb Lucas likes this.
  8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Not a look I can identify with either, Sonero.

9. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

Upon reflection, the pants in the photo in post #181 look just like the way pants were worn when I was in high school: fairly narrow with a relatively short hem (high water pants), the better to show your white socks. But nobody wore suede shoes, blue or otherwise. On the few occasions you wore a suit or sport coat, the fit was invariably better than those in the photo. Dress shirts were invariably button-down collars, always tucked in, at least at school. We had dress-up days at our high school. Nobody wore sunglasses and nobody had a beard, although I am speaking of high school. So, to put it simply, to dress any other way is just wrong.

10. totallyfrozen

There's a difference between a purse and a satchel. The guys in your pick are carrying handbags like my mother had.
    I do have one handbag. It's canvas, OD green, Army surplus. It's called a "tool bag". I carry tools in it. My mother didn't carry a tool bag.

11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

What, not even with a cutsie, little dolly?
    manbag.jpg

Sonero likes this.
  12. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

Someone, upon viewing a film or photo of a New York street sometime before WWI, with no apparent rules about traffic, foot, motor or horse, noticed that no one was carrying a backpack, bag, or anything of the sort. "What do they do with all their stuff?" the person asked.

Seems like a good question. Most of the bags and satchels in the photo don't seem to have much in them, except perhaps for a lawyer's legal brief or maybe the New York Times, although one fellow looks like he has been to the supermarket.

13. iwantthatimp

iwantthatimp New in Town

This is the type of uninspiring man bag that you see most around europe. Sometimes with the strap short so it's almost under your armpit like a holster. Imagine paired with a matching, ill fitting track suit. [​IMG]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

14. eugenesque

eugenesque One of the Regulars

I always wondered whether the snug fit was to deter pickpockets.

Edward likes this.
  15. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

I'd rather go flamboyant than "half way". It is like the euro version of the fanny pack. Nice for young adults but not befitting of an older gent.

Alz and iwantthatimp like this.
  16. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

Well, I think the fact is people back then didn't have anything to carry! No phones, no laptop, nothing. Most of the guys you see in the photo are buyers for big shop's chains. They do move million of dollars in that fashion event and what they need to do it is basically a laptop and a phone.

Edward likes this.
  17. Angus Forbes

Angus Forbes One of the Regulars

Man purse, yes or no? Strong "no" here. Ugh! Carry a brief case or a litigation bag, but never a murse. A guy in a good suit, carrying a litigation bag, projects a strong image.

18. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

When I was in Germany several decades ago, you would see men carrying a small satchel that looked like a briefcase. Same size, same shape. We called them "schnitzel bags."

19. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

20. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Call Me a Cab

No, none of them looked like what I was referring to. They looked like briefcases. That was fifty years ago, remember, when people were a lot more dressed up than today. Hats, even. At the time, if you were in the army overseas, you weren't allowed out of barracks without a coat and tie.

Alz likes this.