The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Sonero, Aug 14, 2016.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, but I find that the best thing for me to use to carry the things I must carry, which in no way, shape, or form fit in my pockets, is a string bag. It's comfortably out of the way on my back, almost unnoticeable, and pick-proof, as the top synches up tight and can't be opened without a decent two-handed pull, which discourages roving foreign fingers.

2. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge Familiar Face

3. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I also have one of these safari vests that I alternate with my string bag and MkVII gas mask bag (a la Dr. Jones style).

Humvee_by_CampCo_HMV_VS_K_M_Safari_Photo_Vest_Medium_196099.jpg

The only issue with it is that it gets a little heavy around the neck if I don't balance the load front to back. Another issue is that I have to take whatever is in the rear pocket out when I drive. Then I invariably end up leaving my wallet in the car instead of putting it back in the inside rear pocket (the safest place for it in crowds).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Trenchfriend likes this.
  4. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

The evests are cool, but I wouldn't want to carry my Surface, iPad and phone in one at the same time.

Probably not ideal for the warm Texas summer.

My man bag is wearing in nicely.

[​IMG]

Cheers! David

5. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge Familiar Face

I agree with that. But it probably would take care of the majority of other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm always amused at how fragile masculinity can be when it feels threatened by a bag. Still, for those who need to feel manly-manly, there's always Lost Worlds - plenty of pockets in their bike jackets. ;) Those e-vests are funny. They remind me of the novelty items I've seen parodied on TV, designed to thwart the airline limits on carry-on luggage.

I've certainly carried my Barbour bags a bit higher in some crowded places so that I can have it clamped under my arm and my hand in my pocket where my wallet is. I'd never dream of carrying anything in the rear pocket of a pair of trousers.

Alz likes this.
  7. eugenesque

eugenesque One of the Regulars

I certainly clutch my satchel close to me when I'm taking the train at rush hour.

Edward likes this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Definitely. The most dangerous places for pickpocketing are those places where you're standing around not going anywhere, and so tight-packed in that it's hard to notice someone getting in to your bag, either because you can't see it or because you can't feel it apart from the weight of being crushed in the train.

9. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

Once I've found the rear side of my trouser cut with what I think was a razor blade. Who did it cut the trouser just under the rear pocket so the wallet could slip down. The bad thing is I don't carry a wallet and they cut the trousers of a Tombolini super 120's suit!

Edward likes this.
  10. shadowrider

shadowrider One of the Regulars

This thread is reminding me of Kurosawa's 1949 film Stray Dog. Fantastic movie and highly recommended.

Alz likes this.
  11. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I've read this thread with interest. I have a couple of small 25 / 30 L sized backpacks for when I go hiking but find them a bit too cumbersome when heading to town. When I do I usually wear one of my small packs / bags.

At the moment I have three small bags. They are handy for small items which I don't want to carry in my jacket, or if the weather is too warm for a jacket.

The black bag was made by Eagle Creek and it is the one I wear when I'm a 'tourist'. It is great for keeping all my important stuff in when I'm flying (passport, tickets, camera, money etc) and makes a useful bag when sightseeing. I've had this bag for a decade now.
    The green one is the first bag that I bought, back in the 1990s. It is a L.L.Bean bag and useful for everyday use. I was using buttpacks back then but never really liked them so I bought this as a replacement and never looked back.
    I also have an old Pan Am flight bag which I wear when I go 'vintage' and wear my leather or denim jackets. I replaced the strap with a longer one and it is great for carrying my camera. It has a print of a Boeing 707 'Jet Clipper' so I'm guessing it is from the late 50s / early 60s period.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    robrinay likes this.
  12. The dogs bollocks

The dogs bollocks Familiar Face

Well he does like cargo pants....ummm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I admit I do, and avoid doing, things for the sake of convention and aesthetics. However, there does come a time when practicality must win out. Personally I have a small assortment of "bags" that I use depending on use. An attaché/briefcase, a leather messenger bag, a small and a medium sized leather rucksacks, and a canvas and leather small tote. None of them make me feel like I'm carrying a purse, but I have a wife and daughter so I've carried lots of those too.

I avoid anything that looks even remotely "tactical" as it draws the wrong kind of attention. I also refuse to wear a fanny pack; although, I did see something akin to them that some people can pull off. And although I'm not a fan of the book bag type of backpack I don't think they look horrible. I also don't care if a rustic piece is used when in business attire; the juxtaposition just doesn't bother me like it does some. In the end, if you need to carry things you will need something to carry them in. Don't overthink it and go with what looks good to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jaxenro

Jaxenro One of the Regulars

Only time I needed a bag was when I carried a laptop and I used a laptop bag I am sure it would work for other things

And I always go armed except in NY and CT when I visit

15. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

139D3806-7F38-47B1-B45F-6CAC03B9BECC.jpeg 0ECBB60A-12AA-4B36-9387-E1DB244FBC41.jpeg 626ECA66-A874-4A71-9949-6DF011015E6D.jpeg Yes I know it’s an old thread but I’m really chuffed (pleased), with this latest eBay purchase - a repro US mail satchel by Satchel and Page. It’s much lighter, a bit smaller and has more ‘useful’ features than the real thing but retains the good design looks of the original.

16. Sonero

Sonero A-List Customer

An amazing bag !

Congrats.

robrinay likes this.
  17. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I used to have a red TWA bag just like that. Very cool back in the day, to have a bag from a major airline, when almost nothing was labeled.

HanauMan and Trenchfriend like this.
  18. The Jackal

The Jackal One of the Regulars

I rarely carry enough to justify a bag. Usually only my house key, my car key, and my wallet. And if I am carrying more than that, it is usually significantly more, and a shoulder bag isn't sufficient.

19. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

20. Sonero

Sonero A-List Customer

I liked your bag so much I placed an order for a custom job in Tijuana today. I printed several photos of Satchel Bags and sort of combined the best aspects of all into a work order. WE shall see how it comes out. These guys I know are talented.

robrinay, Edward and scottyrocks like this.