Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Now I understand! (and thanks Trenchfriend too). You are right LuvMyMan, those bags were a must have back in the 70's (that's the time you visited here) but thanks to the god of fashion now they disappeared!
Oh yes...hahah THAT was more back in the "disco dance" fashion....weee haaaw! hahah!

I can say my Husband purchased some suits and pants while in Italy that he still has, from that time period that are NOT bell bottom or flared at all, came from a tailor shop that makes suits and tuxedo jackets. and of course the shoes and boots sold in Italy are killer! We still buy Brioni brand items, his most prized shirt is a run way shirt from Brioni, has actually gold thread in the weave pattern of the multi level cotton fabric...we got it with white gold cufflinks included for only $2,200.00 USD and for the shirt and cufflinks to go with it that was a steal!

Reactions: Alz

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
I have been having a bag dilemma and decided to do something about it. Recently I put money down on a Man Purse aka. The Murse. I don't care what people say. I live in hot weather years round so I don't have access to deep jacket pockets anymore.

I need to carry :

A cellphone
Sunglasses
Cigars/Cutter
Wallet
Gum or Mints
Lighter
Reading Glasses.

I can't possibly fit all of this into my pockets.

I used to wear a pimped out fanny pack by Maxpedition around my shoulders. I am actually quite proud of it since I built it piece by piece and it is my own design. However it makes too strong of an impression when I am walking down the street. Especially in Tijuana where I spend half my time.

Anyway last week I ditched the Tactical Pack for something completely different. Here is the pic. Also included are two leather mini saddle type messenger bags sold in Tijuana for $22 and a refurbished COACH in Black that I will MURSE with a more dressy look...Blazer/Travel Etc.

MAN UP GENTLEMEN and expose your MURSE !

View attachment 54891 View attachment 54892 View attachment 54893

Having moved to the USA this seems a very US issue. In the rest of the world where I have been this concern about men and bags vanished many years ago...here in US for example I was walking into a dentist as an old lady and friend were leaving and received the comment ' oh nice purse' in a tone clearly finding it very amusing I was carrying a ladies bag.
(It was a Timberland wrist bag nice and battered and worn in?)...interesting.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
Question about the Brady Bag.

I received mine today...Ariel Trout Small. Good size for everyday carry.

Do you open your bag by undoing the buckle or do you use the leather/brass notch on the top of the leather strip ? At first glance the leather/brass notch seems much easier but looks like it ( the leather ) could loosen up too much with use which would make it difficult to stay on even when not in use. Looks hard to repair as well.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks View attachment 55601

I had same concern when I bought a RRL version of this. Always used the pull off push on notch and it's never had loosened up surprisingly...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Having moved to the USA this seems a very US issue. In the rest of the world where I have been this concern about men and bags vanished many years ago...here in US for example I was walking into a dentist as an old lady and friend were leaving and received the comment ' oh nice purse' in a tone clearly finding it very amusing I was carrying a ladies bag.
(It was a Timberland wrist bag nice and battered and worn in?)...interesting.....

Homophobia Hang Ups. Their problem. Not ours.

If I would wear feminine/unisex handbags instead of my simple photobag, I would always go secure and wear the bag classic "diagonal", too, with the strap layed around my neck and not like a tussy-girlie. :D

But, what I don't comprehend, is, why usual fashion-chainstores (Germany) offer all these versatile black, camel or grey fieldjacket-designed handbags as women-handbags instead naming it unisex-bags.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
I have been having a bag dilemma and decided to do something about it. Recently I put money down on a Man Purse aka. The Murse. I don't care what people say. I live in hot weather years round so I don't have access to deep jacket pockets anymore.

I need to carry :

A cellphone
Sunglasses
Cigars/Cutter
Wallet
Gum or Mints
Lighter
Reading Glasses.

I used to wear a pimped out fanny pack by Maxpedition around my shoulders. I am actually quite proud of it since I built it piece by piece and it is my own design. However it makes too strong of an impression when I am walking down the street. Especially in Tijuana where I spend half my time.

Anyway last week I ditched the Tactical Pack for something completely different. Here is the pic. Also included are two leather mini saddle type messenger bags sold in Tijuana for $22 and a refurbished COACH in Black that I will MURSE with a more dressy look...Blazer/Travel Etc.

View attachment 54891 View attachment 54892 View attachment 54893

Www.scottevest.com, unless you really want to carry a purse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say go big.

commes.jpg

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
If anyone challenges your masculinity by chiding your satchel or manpurse or whatever it's called, just say that at least you have the guts to use it in public and masculinity is therefore not an issue. Usually keeps them quiet. Most important thing is one must be comfortable with their style.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Men's purse or not is all a cultural issue, if it could be named an issue. This shot is from the largest and most important men's fashion event in the world: Pitti Uomo. Buyers come from all over the world to bring home the last collections. Most of these buyers come from the US. These people in the picture are on the street to show what fashion designers did. As you can see there are bags everywhere! And anyway USA has a long tradition on men's bags. I am just thinking to Filson as well other brands.
View attachment 83010
I don't see anything wrong with their bags but they sure are dressed funny.

Reactions: Alz

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars

I need to carry :

A cellphone
Sunglasses
Cigars/Cutter
Wallet
Gum or Mints
Lighter
Reading Glasses.

Murse?! NEVER!

Actually, you CAN fit all that in your pockets depending on what kind of pockets you have. My personal style is cargo pants or cargo shorts.
For example:
9ce0e46b50b844438a913bf4e86896c9.jpg
c3be3c9eceeeb0f05ba74e85ea1f1511.jpg
With a Henley or button down shirt.

For cigar cutter, you could get a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with cigar cutter in it and it would also give you a few other manly tools at your immediate disposal (they have smaller models with the cutter if this looks too large).
b828de2a7a45aa2f7fe97a4913c4999d.jpg

With shirt pockets and pants pockets, I don't see any trouble carrying that light load you listed.

For the topic, here is my satchel.
b1698bde4a4cde98ddb0739ae64767e4.jpg
It's a Filson. It's serious overkill for the small items you wish to carry. You'd fit all that in one side pocket of that bag.

Man purse, fanny packs, etc. No way! Not for me. Aside from my personal opinion that they look feminine and ridiculous on a man...I prefer to travel packed. Meaning, if something comes up, I don't want to have my kit in a bag/pack that could be lost, stolen, or confiscated. I want my essential gear ON ME. That's how I did it in the Army and it has proved to be the safest, IMO. Fortunately, I carry less these days than I had to in the service so loading all the essential stuff on my person is easy. Knife, phone, glasses, lighter, keys, flashlight, wallet, etc. it all rides on my body. To each his own.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Where I lived in East London is a hospital that deals solely with mental health issues. It's often been said that those with less grey matter, make up for it with trouser furniture.
One incredibly, bitter cold January, Tina & I were off out to some gala or other, our route took us past that hospital. Walking along the sidewalk, in our opposite direction, was a patient from that hospital. I knew he was a patient, for despite the cold, all he wore was his shoes. Everything else was neatly folded over his arm. And that trouser furniture, cold or no cold, it was enormous. I looked at Tina: "Yes you did see a naked man," she chuckled, adding, "hung like a donkey." "You forgot the sigh, dear," I quipped, "I don't know," she added with a note of concern, "if I want my eyes to water, I'll see an optician."
There is some medical legitimacy to what you state. For example, one of the physical characteristics of Fragile X Syndrome (the leading cause of mental retardation) in males is large genitalia.
I think we're digressing into a discussion of the other kind of "man bag" than where the OP was going with this. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto