Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_.jpg

I always figured if I have to die, that's how I want to go -- on stage. Just let me finish the bit first and go out on a laugh.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(1).jpg

New words to learn.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(2).jpg

Stop smirking, Ryan. If the DL knew what you were up to, she'd trim your beard and the rest of you with it.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(3).jpg

All right then, no time like the present...

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(4).jpg

"Oops, forgot about the trap door. Oh well, that takes care o' that!"

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(6).jpg

Sooooo, what you're saying is she's TOWNSEND ZANDER'S daughter. Daughter of Bim's most vicious, hated enemy? And she's his sister-in-law? Or one of his sisters-in-law? How's your insurance, Bim?

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(7).jpg

"Sorry, son, you're exempted as essential farm labor. Now get out to those fields!"

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(8).jpg

*Snif.* I can remember when Skeez was just a sweet little baby in a basket.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(9).jpg

I bet Honey's ma runs a candy store.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(10).jpg

Poor Emmy, a woman of deep deep frustrations.

("Magin'nat," comments Sally, as she drains her glass. "Somebody's mut'teh -- makin' book. Whassa woil' comin' to?" She pushes the empty glass across to Ma Sweeney. "Gimme an'uteh one," she sighs. "Bromo Seltzer's no soft drink, daughter," cautions Ma as she mixes the requested beverage. "Ye wanna take care y'don't make y'self sick." "I'm awready sick," groans Sally. "On'y got two houehs' sleep las' night. T'at Mildred Kelly, y'know? T'at I went t'school wit'? Useta be Mildred McCullough? Y'know what she done? She gimme t'is pill, t'is 'benzedrine,' y'know, said it'd poik me up? It poiked me awright. Lookit, I still got paint on my awrm. I wish she'd leemee alone." "Tell ye boss," suggests Ma. "Mildred Kelly *is* t'bawss," replies Sally. "At leas' *my* bawss. It's a good place t'woik, 'cept f't'at. She's awrways flouncin' aroun' braggin' 'bout 'eh husban' t' fois' lieutenant -- FOIS' lieutenant, she awrways says -- an' about livin' in Bay Ridge an' awlat. Neveh shuts 'eh yap 'bout how she's got a sink at home t'at washes dishes, an'neh kids go to a fancy school an' awl." "A sink that washes dishes!" scoffs Ma. "Sooch nonsense! She's havin' ye on, thaat's what she's doin'. An' I'll tell ye this, Mildred McCullough got no call t'be wearin' no high hat, she doesn't. I knew her maaaahther, I did, when she was livin' in a shanty on the Old Clove Road, milkin' a goooat! Ahhh, many's the day I seen her pooshin' little Mildred wearin' a dress made out of a flour sack! And now thinkin' she's so hoi an' moity! And not only, but her faaaather sold turnips off of a wagon! No, but her foine ladyship needs to come down a peg, she does!" "Yeah," shrugs Sally, emptying her glass once more. "Anyways, I otta run upstairs an' get Leonoreh -- I wanna get t'bed oily t'night." "Ah, you do that," nods Ma. "She must be just wakin' up from her nap. Off with ye then." Ma watches Sally head up the back stairs, and then steps from behind the counter, over to the telephone, drops in a nickel, and dials a BUckminster number. "Hello? Francis?" she begins. "Nora. Hm? Oh yes, I'm still expectin' you for the night, Sally's joost leavin'. But before ye come over, I wanted you to see to a little matter for me. Do ye recall makin' a loan to a Tommy McCullough? Indeed, that's him. The greengrocer on President Street. Is he still payin'? Ah, tis a pity, such a harrrd workin' man fallin' behoind. Then don't ye think one 'a the boys ought to pay him a visit? Give him a little advoice? Indeed. Well, here's what he ought to say...")

And that is how the raw sinews of real power get pulled.

My first thought was the Mrs. Sottile was going to be an, umm, "employee" of Ma's as Ma can't put up with too many "freelancers" in the neighborhood. If you don't stop them now, the next thing you know, these new bookies will be offering better odds and larger payouts on the numbers.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(1).jpg

(What, Pollock writing a movie review? Did Miss Corby follow Herbie Cohn and join the service?)

Maybe they put her in the penalty box for missing the call on "The Ox-Bow Incident."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(4).jpg

(Awwwwwwww, gawdblessya Fitz! And is it just me, or does he look like he's slimmed down a bit? Bowling really is good for health!)

Sure, he looks like one of those streamlined trains.
nyhhfffl to.jpg

Two blackouts in one game: best Fitz story ever.

And in the Daily News....
Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_.jpg

I always figured if I have to die, that's how I want to go -- on stage. Just let me finish the bit first and go out on a laugh.

Wonderful "Lassie" story. Kudos to the ASPCA workers who saw the story in the paper and responded.

I wanted to name one of our dogs Lassie, but super girlfriend invoked her veto power on that one.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(3).jpg

All right then, no time like the present...

Somebody didn't spring for a car radio.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(6).jpg

Sooooo, what you're saying is she's TOWNSEND ZANDER'S daughter. Daughter of Bim's most vicious, hated enemy? And she's his sister-in-law? Or one of his sisters-in-law? How's your insurance, Bim?

Can we return for a moment to the insane fact that these two women are fighting over wanting to be Bumley's wife. What warped universe are they living in?

"Well, it turns out your husband, Bumley, was married before he married you, so your marriage is not legal."
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"

That's how a normal woman responds to that news.

Daily_News_Thu__May_13__1943_(7).jpg

"Sorry, son, you're exempted as essential farm labor. Now get out to those fields!"

(copy and paste) The reason so many people left farm work when the Industrial Revolution led to increased opportunities for factory and office work is because they could.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_.jpg

("Attu!" declares Leonora to an intrigued Stella the Cat, as the radio squawks news bulletins. "Attu!" she repeats. "Attu! Attu!" "S'matteh, honey?" inquires Joe, his attention drawn by his daughter's comments. "Gotta cold?" "Attu!" repeats Leonora. "Attu!" "Do'worry," replies Joe, heading for the bathroom. "I'll get t' Vapo-Rub.")

Brooklynites who bought more than $238,000,000 worth of war bonds during the Second War Loan drive in April will be asked to dig down deep again starting Sunday, when the "Back Brooklyn Buddies With Fighting Equipment" campaign is launched in accord with the proclamation of "I Am An American Day" by Governor Thomas E. Dewey. Announcement of the new bond drive, which is to continue thru Labor Day, was made today by Deputy State Administrator John M. Rae of the Kings County War Savings Staff. "We still have a war on our hands," he declared. "Our boys still need equipment." No specific quota was announced for the new campaign, but it was indicated that Brooklyn businesses, organizations, and societies will be encouraged to stimulate bond sales by keeping in mind the sponsorship of some specific piece of fighting equipment. Special literature and pledge forms have already gone out to more than 4500 firms in the borough. War Finance Committee Co-Chairman Lewis E. Pierson noted that Brooklyn "led every county in the nation in the Buy a Bomber campaign," and was the first borough to top its quota in the April drive, which it did during the first seven hours of that campaign. Brooklyn has also exceeded its quota in the buy-a-jeep drive, with 1200 Jeeps purchased by Brooklyn bond buyers since March.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill will broadcast back to Britain today, and it is speculated that his speech will include a hint about what was discussed during his conference in Washington this week with President Roosevelt. The Prime MInister's address will also be broadcast to Americans over the NBC, Blue, and Mutual networks at 3 this afternoon. The speech is intended to mark the third anniversary of the formation of Britain's Home Guard, but he is expected to make a general explanation of his purpose in visiting the United States. There has as yet been no official statement concerning the conferences between the Prime Minister and the President that began last Tuesday. Mr. Churchill is reported to have conferred at length yesterday with Secretary of State Cordell Hull, and to have dined last night with the President. Canadian Prime Minister W. L. Mackenzie King is expected to join the conferences for a brief period next week, and it is also anticipated that Mrs. Chiang Kai-Shek, wife of the Chinese generalissimo, may also see Churchill during his visit.

The National Association of Manufacturers has declared its opposition to the Ruml pay-as-you-go tax plan, and was accused yesterday of deluging pro-Ruml Senators with telegrams yesterday in an attempt to sway the upcoming vote. The NAM's opposition is based on a belief that forgiveness of individual taxes due for 1942 will mean pressure for higher corporate taxes. The NAM has instead endorsed an amended version of the plan proposed by Senator Walter George (D-Georgia) which would instead forgive only 75 percent of the 1942 tax liability, and Senator Homer Ferguson (R-Michigan), a leading supporter of the Ruml plan charged that the NAM is "willing to let the small taxpayer pay 12 1/2 percent more in 1944 and 1945 so that corporations will not have to pay out thru higher corporate tax rates the profits they are receiving out of the war program." Senator Ferguson charged that the NAM has instructed its members to "exert every pressure necessary" to induce senators to back the George amendment.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(1).jpg

("Try our convenient bet by mail service! Write to Mrs. N. K. Sweeney, 503 Rogers Avenue, Bklyn 25, N. Y." reads the flyer handed to Ma by Hops Gaffney. "Well, I t'ought it was a good idea," grumbles Hops as he shuffles away.)

The repeal of immigration laws excluding Chinese from the United States was urged today by the 95th annual meeting of the New York East Conference of the Methodist Church. A report by the church's Social Service Commission noted that under present law, even Madame Chiang Kai-shek, as a native of China, is barred from ever becoming a U. S. citizen. The resolution further declared the church's full support of campaigns to remove "race and color tests from our laws as they apply to persons seeking to enter the United States." The conference has also issued a declaration urging all Methodists to oppose anti-Semitism, using "every Christian means to combat this racial hatred that threatens the very foundation of our democracy and denies this Christian principle of brotherhood." The conference further declared that the church supports conferences between church and industry "only on the condition that labor be represented" in such discussions.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(2).jpg

("Don' tawk t'me 'bout no absenteeism," declares Sally. "I felt like a dawg yest'ehday, but I woiked jus't'same." "That's nice," replies Mildred Kelly with an uneasy half-smile. "Excuse me, I'm gonna go stand -- um -- over there.")

"Raucous snores suggestive of anything but refinement" now fill the night, complains reader Clarence Edward Heller, noting that as long as windows remain open during the warm spell, "our sensitive feelings suffer a humiliating let down" at learning that "the most glamourous girl can snore."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(3).jpg
(Aw, I wanted to know what Jane Corby thinks of "Lady of Burlesque.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(4).jpg

(As Pete Coscarart pulls into second after his sixth-inning double, he notes the absence of a certain raucous scream from somewhere in Section 37, and feels a nostalgic pang.)

The saddle-shoe/sweater/reversible-jacket clan will be happy to know that Frank Sinatra's new show bows over WABC tonight at 11:15. Mr. Sinatra will have the accompaniment of Raymond Scott's orchestra on the new quarter-hour feature.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(5).jpg

("Fortune telling?" Is that what they're calling it now?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(6).jpg

(Miss Bankhead is on the phone with her lawyers right now.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(7).jpg

("YES!" bellows Irwin into the bottom of an empty bottle. "YOU SURE ARE THICK!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(8).jpg

(If you're gonna be a LOUSY DAD, be the LOUSIEST LOUSY DAD you can possibly be!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(9).jpg

(Adaptation to wartime conditions is the key to success for any business.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_.jpg

Well, that's one way to goose the box office.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(1).jpg

You know, the Bronx isn't a very nice place.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(2).jpg

Whatever happened to saltpeter in the rations?

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(3).jpg

I bet this castle was a valuable piece of real estate during Prohibition, isn't that so, Mr. Mitt?

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(4).jpg

Did Gould's daughter run off with a bandleader?

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(5).jpg

"So that makes you --- um -- wait, do you have pencil and paper? I need to figure this out."

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(6).jpg

"Never mind him, Mama! What about Prentiss Brown!"

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(7).jpg

Make him cook supper too.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(8).jpg

Wait, footlights? So this is all a bit?? "BOOOO!" yell the soldiers. "BRING ON THE SLITHER SISTERS!"

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(9).jpg

"The Crucifixion of Shadow Smart." All right, Legion of Decency, what's your take on THIS?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_.jpg

("Attu!" declares Leonora to an intrigued Stella the Cat, as the radio squawks news bulletins. "Attu!" she repeats. "Attu! Attu!" "S'matteh, honey?" inquires Joe, his attention drawn by his daughter's comments. "Gotta cold?" "Attu!" repeats Leonora. "Attu!" "Do'worry," replies Joe, heading for the bathroom. "I'll get t' Vapo-Rub.")

All these years and I've never seen the part in the United States Constitution that addresses the daily double.

Many years ago, when I first took my very nicely raised girlfriend to the racetrack for the first time in her life ("no need to mention to my parents that we went here when you meet them" she noted) and I explained to her what a "daily double" is, I can still hear her response, "Well, that just sounds too hard."

In my, umm, many trip over many years to the racetrack, I've won my share of exotic bets (mainly boxed exactas), but despite trying more than I am proud of, you can count on one hand the number of daily doubles that I've won. Super girlfriend intuited, on her first trip to a race track, a betting reality. P.S., I finally gave up on daily doubles years ago.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill will broadcast back to Britain today, and it is speculated that his speech will include a hint about what was discussed during his conference in Washington this week with President Roosevelt. The Prime MInister's address will also be broadcast to Americans over the NBC, Blue, and Mutual networks at 3 this afternoon. The speech is intended to mark the third anniversary of the formation of Britain's Home Guard, but he is expected to make a general explanation of his purpose in visiting the United States. There has as yet been no official statement concerning the conferences between the Prime Minister and the President that began last Tuesday. Mr. Churchill is reported to have conferred at length yesterday with Secretary of State Cordell Hull, and to have dined last night with the President. Canadian Prime Minister W. L. Mackenzie King is expected to join the conferences for a brief period next week, and it is also anticipated that Mrs. Chiang Kai-Shek, wife of the Chinese generalissimo, may also see Churchill during his visit.

FDR: "Madame, he's a wonderful man, just be careful to knock before entering his guest room."
Madame: "Oh, is he shy?"
FDR: "Umm, just the opposite. [muttering more to himself] I still can't get that damn image out of my head."

("Don' tawk t'me 'bout no absenteeism," declares Sally. "I felt like a dawg yest'ehday, but I woiked jus't'same." "That's nice," replies Mildred Kelly with an uneasy half-smile. "Excuse me, I'm gonna go stand -- um -- over there.")

:)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_14__1943_(3).jpg

(Aw, I wanted to know what Jane Corby thinks of "Lady of Burlesque.")

Jane's too busy writing "'The Ox-Bow Incident' will be a classic" a hundred times on the blackboard to do any more reviews right now.

Re the review of "Lady of Burlesque," "It's a little congested. New leads never lead far enough..." is spot on. Good movie, but too many moving parts that only serve to confuse. I'm glad I read the book first or I think I would've been lost a bit in the movie.

I forget if Sally and Joe saw "Edge of Darkness" (I don't think they have) and I know they have very little free time in their lives right now, but I think they'd enjoy it. It's simply a good movie, plus it's a world completely alien to theirs in Brooklyn, but not really.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(1).jpg

You know, the Bronx isn't a very nice place.

It does, though, make for a, umm, colorful setting for a trip to Yankee Stadium. You have to arrive via the El to get the full experience.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(2).jpg

Whatever happened to saltpeter in the rations?

And we see, once again, the genius of Civil War General Joseph Hooker and why colleges used to practice in loco parentis, and it wasn't to protect the boys. You are not going to change the biology of young men, so finding a workable solution is the smartest option.

Daily_News_Fri__May_14__1943_(5)-3.jpg

"So that makes you --- um -- wait, do you have pencil and paper? I need to figure this out."

"It was love at first sight...." With Bumley Gump? Really!

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Who is DL and what relation to Ryan, sounds like a loaded wife.

The Big Valley did considerable telly box office here. Miss Barbara Stanwyck star of Queen of Burlesque or
Lady Burlesque or whatever it was called always outshone her daughter Linda Evans. Some gals gots.

The Americans are suffering serious jungle fever. Arrival of 'a white woman' and hell breaks loose. Blimey.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The DL is La Choi San, known and feared thruout the China Seas as The Dragon Lady, ruthless leader of a pirate band turned commander of a vast guerilla army who has been fighting the Japanese invaders since 1937. She and Patrick have what can be described as a complicated relationship -- Pat has been, at various moments over the past nine years, her enemy, her prisoner, her lover, her compatriot, and her agent. She is Hu Shee's mentor, she is the one who cut out Big Stoop's tongue because he annoyed her, and she is the one who taught then-seventeen-year-old Terry how to dance.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_.jpg

("Scoot oveh, toots," requests a large woman in baggy overalls as Sally munches a cold Spam sandwich while scanning the newspaper. Obligingly, she slides across the bench to allow her workmate a seat. "Readin'a Eagle, huh?" that worthy continues. "You f'm Brooklyn?" "Yeh," says Sally. "Eas' Flatbush, but livin' in Bensonhoist 'tll afteh t' wawr, I guess." "Eas' Flatbush!" declares the newcomer. "I'm f'm Leffet's 'n Nostran'!" "Huh!" huhs Sally. "My ma lives t'ree blocks down an' one oveh f'm'neah! Rogehs n' Midwood. I neveh seen y'roun'a neighbehood." "Oh, I been livin' upstate f'ra while, on'y jus' moved back home las'yeeh. M'agine'nat, coupla Eas' Flatbush goils woikin'a same plant. Mitt me, kid -- name's Alice Dooley!" "Sally Petrauskas," returns Sally, extending her hand. "Petrauskas," muses Alice. "Neh, I don'know no Petrauskases." "Well, 'at's me married name," Sally explains. "Useta be Sally Sweeney." "Sweeney!" interjects Alice. "Say, you ain' related t' Mickey Sweeney, awrya?" "Yeh!" replies Sally. "He's me bru'tteh!" "Well I'll be!!" gawps Alice, a broad grin creasing her features. "If'at don' beat awl! Yeah, I know Mickey f'm way back, in fac', we was -- um -- well, you know, um, until I lef' town." "Izzat so," replies Sally, unsure of the proper response to such a statement. "He's inna Awrmy now," she finally shrugs. "Well'em Nazis don'know what t'ey got comin'," Alice chuckles. "Howza ol' lady?" "Hm?" hms Sally. "T' ol' lady," Alice repeats. "You know, Ma Sweeney. I guess yeh Ma too, heh! She still got t'boys hawrd at it?" "Huh?" huhs Sally. "You know, Hops Gaffney an' Danny t' Neck an' Jimmy t' Chest, an' ol' Papa Frank, awlat bunch? Keepin'neah noses clean? Haw!" "I guess," Sally shrugs. "Say, t'is is great," enthuses Alice. "Lissen, how'bout I go home wit'choo one'a t'ese nights, give t'ol' lady a s'prise! I ain' seeneh since I come back t'town, an' won'she be s'rpsed t'see you an' me woikin' t'getteh! Aw, yeah, let's do it soon! HAW!" "Um," ums Sally. "Okay, sueh....")

President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill were trying today to restrain Allied enthusiasm over recent military successes, lest a damaging wave of overconfidence slow the forward movement of the war effort. Both were making obvious efforts to prevent runaway optimism in Allied countries since the victory in Tunisia. In his radio speech yesterday, Mr. Churchill warned against the assumption that Allied mastery of the air over Great Britain and over ever-widening zones of the Continent means the danger of a Nazi invasion of Britain has passed. "Let me assure of this," declared the Prime Minister, "that until Hitler and Hitlerism are beaten into unconditional surrender, the danger of invasion will never pass away." Public statements by the President follow the same tone, with repeated admonitions that "the war is not over," and "the war has not been one." In a radio broadcast. Office of War Information Director Elmer Davis sounded a similar note, declaring that the mass surrender of Germans in Tunisia is proof that "the master race will quit when it concludes that it is licked, but that won't happen until they have taken some more lickings."

Freddie Fitzsimmons was on hand to sign autographs for boys honored last night by the 88th Precinct Neighborhood Council and Juvenile Aid Bureau. The popular Dodger pitcher-coach was one of several guests attending the entertainment and dance taking place at the Kiley Youth Center, 202 Vanderbilt Avenue, with boys recognized for their success in basketball.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(1).jpg

(Fitz doesn't smoke, kids. Be like Fitz.)

City Council President Newbold Morris writes in to demand a correction to a recent Eagle story suggesting that he opposes the proposed construction of a municipal aquarium at Coney Island. Mr. Morris notes that he has, in fact, long called for just such a project, even well before the old aquarium at Battery Park was razed, and he did, in fact, cast his three votes on the Board of Estimate in favor of the plan put forward by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses. "PS," he adds. "I am a strong rooter for the Dodgers, too." The Eagle Editorialist responds abashed, and regrets the error.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(2).jpg

(And not only that, he couldn't even fold it right!)

Police are investigating the stabbing of a longshoreman near Columbia and Carroll Streets in Carroll Gardens last night. Thirty-three year old Anthony Somma told police that he was walking along Columbia Street when a man he didn't recognize brushed against him and he felt a stinging pain. He continued on to St. Peter's Hospital where he discovered that he had been stabbed in the abdoment. Somma stated that he has no known enemies, and could not explain the stabbing.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(3).jpg

(They got lucky, that's all. YOU'LL GET 'EM NEXT TIME!)

Shortstop Vernon "Junior" Stephens of the St. Louis Browns would be headed for a banner season in 1943 if it were not almost certain that he will be drafted any day now. Stephens is rampaging across the American League, hitting at a .383 clip, with 23 hits over 60 at-bats, five doubles, and a home run over his first sixteen games.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(4).jpg

("Whatta we gonna call this? Zanuck wants a title!" "What's it about?" "Well, spies, I guess, comin' to, I dunno, blow up America." "There y'go then. C'mon, let's eat!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(5).jpg

("Me, a decoy? I can remember when I used to be the STAR of this strip!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(6).jpg

(That's it, Tallu. Every question they ask you from now on, the answer is "How should I know?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(7).jpg

("I'll be bound, boy, if this shows up on Page Four, you're disinherited!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(8).jpg

(That's right kid, you have the WORST DAD EVER. Now watch him take credit for finding your dog.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(9).jpg

(Actually, I imagine this happens a lot.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_.jpg

If "glad hander" isn't on that list of non-draft-exempt jobs, it certainly should be.

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(1).jpg

Sure you did.

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(2).jpg

We have seen some creepy, sadistic monsters in this strip over the years, but I'll say right now that Mr. 88 Keyes is by far the creepiest.

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(3).jpg

You're a good and noble man, Bim, and I'm sure thatHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(4).jpg

"Just as well, he's no Oscar Levant!"

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(5).jpg

A Serbian antifascist guerilla who quotes Shakespeare. Wonder if he's married?

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(6).jpg

All right you chuckleheads, don'cha know there's a war on?

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(7).jpg

QUICK FILL IT IN NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(9).jpg

Kayo hasn't done any world-class trolling in a while, so it's nice to see he hasn't lost his skill.

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(10).jpg

Won't be any eggs for breakfast though...

("Scoot oveh, toots," requests a large woman in baggy overalls as Sally munches a cold Spam sandwich while scanning the newspaper. Obligingly, she slides across the bench to allow her workmate a seat. "Readin'a Eagle, huh?" that worthy continues. "You f'm Brooklyn?" "Yeh," says Sally. "Eas' Flatbush, but livin' in Bensonhoist 'tll afteh t' wawr, I guess." "Eas' Flatbush!" declares the newcomer. "I'm f'm Leffet's 'n Nostran'!" "Huh!" huhs Sally. "My ma lives t'ree blocks down an' one oveh f'm'neah! Rogehs n' Midwood. I neveh seen y'roun'a neighbehood." "Oh, I been livin' upstate f'ra while, on'y jus' moved back home las'yeeh. M'agine'nat, coupla Eas' Flatbush goils woikin'a same plant. Mitt me, kid -- name's Alice Dooley!" "Sally Petrauskas," returns Sally, extending her hand. "Petrauskas," muses Alice. "Neh, I don'know no Petrauskases." "Well, 'at's me married name," Sally explains. "Useta be Sally Sweeney." "Sweeney!" interjects Alice. "Say, you ain' related t' Mickey Sweeney, awrya?" "Yeh!" replies Sally. "He's me bru'tteh!" "Well I'll be!!" gawps Alice, a broad grin creasing her features. "If'at don' beat awl! Yeah, I know Mickey f'm way back, in fac', we was -- um -- well, you know, um, until I lef' town." "Izzat so," replies Sally, unsure of the proper response to such a statement. "He's inna Awrmy now," she finally shrugs. "Well'em Nazis don'know what t'ey got comin'," Alice chuckles. "Howza ol' lady?" "Hm?" hms Sally. "T' ol' lady," Alice repeats. "You know, Ma Sweeney. I guess yeh Ma too, heh! She still got t'boys hawrd at it?" "Huh?" huhs Sally. "You know, Hops Gaffney an' Danny t' Neck an' Jimmy t' Chest, an' ol' Papa Frank, awlat bunch? Keepin'neah noses clean? Haw!" "I guess," Sally shrugs. "Say, t'is is great," enthuses Alice. "Lissen, how'bout I go home wit'choo one'a t'ese nights, give t'ol' lady a s'prise! I ain' seeneh since I come back t'town, an' won'she be s'rpsed t'see you an' me woikin' t'getteh! Aw, yeah, let's do it soon! HAW!" "Um," ums Sally. "Okay, sueh....")

My God, aren't there any war-factory jobs for women in Brooklyn?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(3).jpg

(They got lucky, that's all. YOU'LL GET 'EM NEXT TIME!)

Hopefully, he needed this game to get back into it, but at 41, it's tough to make a comeback, especially as a pitcher.

Shortstop Vernon "Junior" Stephens of the St. Louis Browns would be headed for a banner season in 1943 if it were not almost certain that he will be drafted any day now. Stephens is rampaging across the American League, hitting at a .383 clip, with 23 hits over 60 at-bats, five doubles, and a home run over his first sixteen games.

And that's mainly with a dead ball.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_15__1943_(5).jpg

("Me, a decoy? I can remember when I used to be the STAR of this strip!")

"Listen, Mary, if you're not happy with your weekly paycheck, just say the word, but before you do so, perhaps you want to talk with Irwin Higgs who also thought he was indispensable to his comicstrip."

"All's good. Do you have tomorrow's script? I'd like to start learning my lines." [sotto voce] "Arrogant, young 'assistant directors'."

And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_.jpg

If "glad hander" isn't on that list of non-draft-exempt jobs, it certainly should be.

"What's this a stove?" "That's what we call a juke box."

The Duchess remained in New York, but talking with one group of workers, the Duke said, "The Duchess wanted to know how you are."

Windor came with an entourage of about 30 persons.

It took a few days, but the Fedora Lounge Rule Book section on the Windsors proved accurate: "All new information about the Windsors, unbelievable, further lowers one's opinion of them."

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(1).jpg

Sure you did.

And nobody in German knew there were concentration camps. It's amazing how all these heinous crimes happen without anybody being guilty.

Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(9)-2.jpg

Kayo hasn't done any world-class trolling in a while, so it's nice to see he hasn't lost his skill.

And from the perfect trolling position:
Daily_News_Sat__May_15__1943_(9)-2.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_.jpg

("Yeh, well," huffs Sally, "when we was on strike wit' Woolwoit's in t'oity seven, 'at Mawrkantonio took up f'rus. I don' remembeh hearin' nut'n f'm t'is Rose guy, so noitz t'him." "Whachawanna do t'day?" inquires Joe, not thirsting for a political debate. "We c'd g'o see t'bawlgame. Doubleheadeh t'day." "Nah," sighs Sally without looking up from the paper. "S'posta rain, an' who wants t'get wet lookin' at t'em Cubs?" "I guess," shrugs Joe. "S'm good moompitchehs playin' 'roun' town. "T'ey got t' Ape Man runnin' oveh t' t' Colony." "Nah," Sally demurs. "I can't stan'em animal pitchehs. Too phony." "How 'bout we go downtown t' t' Met? T'ey got t'at Tracy 'n Hepboin pitcheh." "Nah," reiterates Sally. "T'at Hepboin gives me a pain, awlat lah-de-da stuff. Remines me a' Kilgallen." "Well," sighs Joe. "What *do* ya wanna do? We on'y get t'is one day awf, shame not t'do nut'n. Hey -- whatcha scrachin' ya hans feh?" "Huh," Sally huhs. "Din' realize I was." "Whassem mawrks awloveh'm? Looks like y'got t'measels, a'sump'n." "Oh," replies Sally. "Soddeh boins, I guess. We woik so fas' onna line, sometimes it spattehs, makes'ese lit'l blistehs when it hits yeh." "Why doncha weah gloves?" "T'ey get inna way. T'ese pieces we put'n t'get'eh, t'eyeh so smawl, y'need, you know, whatcha cawl a delicate touch. T'at's why it's all women onna line, see, we gotcha delicate touch. Even'is Alice Dooley I was tellin' ya 'bout. Big huge dame, but she got t'ese lit'l tiny hans. PIcks up lit'l pieces an' she moves so fas' y'don' even see 'eh doin' it." "Make a good pickpocket," chuckles Joe. "Don' be r'diculous," scoffs Sally.)

Disclosure by the Vatican Radio that Pope Pius XII longs for peace -- but not for "peace at any price," was looked upon today as strengthening the hands of President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill against possible Axis peace offensives. No official comment from the two United Nations leaders on the Pontiff's position was forthcoming as they pondered global strategy in seclusion with their experts in Washington over the weekend. But in diplomatic circles the opinion was expressed that the Vatican Radio statement that the Pope fears a negotiated peace would give the pagan Nazi leaders an opportunity to tighten their stranglehold on Germany and Occupied Europe. The Vatican broadcast, delivered in the German language, was seen also as a deliberate slight against Italian Premier Benito Mussolini, and as a rebuff to Spanish dictator Gen. Francisco Franco, the source of the most recent Axis-inspired peace feelers.

Democratic leaders opined yesterday that the Ruml pay-as-you-go tax plan may come up for a vote in the House of Representatives on Tuesday, and pinned their last hopes to defeat the skip-a-year proposal on a possible Presidential veto. Ruml supporters, however, were confident that the bill will pass, and that the President will not veto the measure. The Ruml plan, substituted by the Senate for the Robertson-Forand partial abatement bill would cancel the 1942 or 1943 income tax obligation, whichever of the two is lower, for all taxpayers, and would institute a payroll withholding-tax system for future tax years.

Soviet forces have smashed the first Nazi thrust of the coming summer offensive on one sector of the Leningrad front, weathering a deluge of 5000 artillery shells as they turned back seven successive waves of German infantry. Moscow reports, quoting Red Army dispatches, described the German thrust as "a full dress Nazi rehearsal" testing the strength of Soviet defenses around the former Czarist capital.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(1).jpg

Governor Thomas E. Dewey praised the spirit of Brooklyn in launching the "Back Brooklyn Buddies With Fighting Equipment" campaign today as part of the observance of "I Am An American Day" in the borough. In a statement issued last night, the Governor noted that Brooklyn has sent more men to the Armed Forces than the totals of 39 entire states, and pointing to the fact that Brooklyn was the first of the city's five boroughs to exceed its Second War Loan quota last month, he predicted that the new drive, which continues thru Labor Day, will be successful.

Vice President Henry Wallace will join Mayor LaGuardia on the Central Park Mall this afternoon for "I Am An American Day" ceremonies, with expectations that last year's attendance of 1,000,000 persons will be surpassed. Top flight entertainers from the show business world and ace fighters from every war front will take part in the afternoon's program, beginning at 2 PM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(3).jpg

(BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL. All right it's less than a month into the season but still. BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL.)

It's been more than a year and a half since a line drive off the bat of Yankee pitcher Marius Russo ricocheted off Freddie Fitzsimmons' kneecap to mark the turning point of a crucial World Series game, but when Fitz took the mound against the Pirates the other day, he was still wearing a knee brace.

Not only do the Dodgers boast baseball's best record going into today's games, they also lead the major leagues in hitting. Despite the balata-ball fiasco that opened the season, the Flock has posted a team batting average of .270. The Brooklyn batting attack is paced by Paul Waner, whose recent decision to wear his spectacles on the field has produced a glittering .467 mark over ten games since he won the regular left field position from the sagging Joe Medwick. Billy Herman, now the Dodger third baseman, is pacing along at .328, while outfielder Augie Galan, while not quite a Pete Reiser at the plate, is making a fine impression nevertheless at .311.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(4).jpg

(Solly from Brooklyn says "hi".)

"High heels make my ankles swell," complains glamorous Hedy Lamaar. The star of MGM's upcoming comedy "The Heavenly Body" shot most of her scenes with her feet out of view, shod in sensible low-heeled brogans. "Nurse's shoes," Miss Lamaar explained.

Old Timer Robert A. Murphy remembers old South Brooklyn landmarks like the Robert Graves Wall Paper Factory, on 3rd Avenue between 34th and 35th Street. The dirt excavated from its construction, Mr. Murphy recalls. was used to level the ground that became the ballfield at Ambrose Park, where, after years of Sunday and holiday baseball games, a grandstand was put up in 1894 to host Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. A year after that, the grounds hosted "Black America," a touring group of 450 singers who remained for an entire summer, and following that season, the park was turned into a bicycle track. All of this is long gone, though, and the site of Ambrose Park was built over in the construction of Bush Terminal.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(5).jpg

("I'm a real self-made rugged man of the frontier, I am! Now gimme my free land from the Government!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(6).jpg

(And that's why nobody likes to eat lunch with Nelson Rockefeller.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(7).jpg

(CAREFUL! HE'S WEARING A ZOOT SUIT!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(8).jpg

(Mr. Bushmiller is still smarting from some lady criticizing his pants. And alas, in Alhambra, Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(9).jpg

(Franchised fortunetelling parlors is actually a pretty sharp business concept.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(10).jpg

("That's right, I've given up that whole silly 'secret operative' nonsense. It was all a game I played, anyway, to humor that ridiculous little fat man who used to follow me around, and that weird blonde with the dog, and that whiny little girl. HAW HAW. Yes, I'm a Famous Detective now. Dan Dunn, Famous Detective. Did I tell you I'm famous?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_.jpg

"The baby, whose stork was an airplane..." It's an age of scientific marvels.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(1).jpg

And if you liked "Scum Of The Earth," don't miss the movie adaptation, "That Swell Ol' Pal O' Mine!"

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(2).jpg

"My Devotion." It's the sick little details that make Gould a master of his craft.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(3).jpg

"Well, what DO you feed them?" "Stand right there, Commander. You'll find out soon enough."

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(4).jpg

Hey! "Ortin" spelled backwards is "Nitro!"

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(5).jpg

BEEFCAKE

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(6).jpg

"How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm?"

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(7).jpg

Poor Cindy. Shoulda stuck with Lil Abner.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(8).jpg

All right, you can have the raise. But you've got to wear a dust cap.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(9).jpg

It was a cheap Davega radio anyway!

("Yeh, well," huffs Sally, "when we was on strike wit' Woolwoit's in t'oity seven, 'at Mawrkantonio took up f'rus. I don' remembeh hearin' nut'n f'm t'is Rose guy, so noitz t'him." "Whachawanna do t'day?" inquires Joe, not thirsting for a political debate. "We c'd g'o see t'bawlgame. Doubleheadeh t'day." "Nah," sighs Sally without looking up from the paper. "S'posta rain, an' who wants t'get wet lookin' at t'em Cubs?" "I guess," shrugs Joe. "S'm good moompitchehs playin' 'roun' town. "T'ey got t' Ape Man runnin' oveh t' t' Colony." "Nah," Sally demurs. "I can't stan'em animal pitchehs. Too phony." "How 'bout we go downtown t' t' Met? T'ey got t'at Tracy 'n Hepboin pitcheh." "Nah," reiterates Sally. "T'at Hepboin gives me a pain, awlat lah-de-da stuff. Remines me a' Kilgallen." "Well," sighs Joe. "What *do* ya wanna do? We on'y get t'is one day awf, shame not t'do nut'n. Hey -- whatcha scrachin' ya hans feh?" "Huh," Sally huhs. "Din' realize I was." "Whassem mawrks awloveh'm? Looks like y'got t'measels, a'sump'n." "Oh," replies Sally. "Soddeh boins, I guess. We woik so fas' onna line, sometimes it spattehs, makes'ese lit'l blistehs when it hits yeh." "Why doncha weah gloves?" "T'ey get inna way. T'ese pieces we put'n t'get'eh, t'eyeh so smawl, y'need, you know, whatcha cawl a delicate touch. T'at's why it's all women onna line, see, we gotcha delicate touch. Even'is Alice Dooley I was tellin' ya 'bout. Big huge dame, but she got t'ese lit'l tiny hans. PIcks up lit'l pieces an' she moves so fas' y'don' even see 'eh doin' it." "Make a good pickpocket," chuckles Joe. "Don' be r'diculous," scoffs Sally.)

"T'at Hepboin gives me a pain, awlat lah-de-da stuff." :)

They could go see "Edge of Darkness."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(1)-2.jpg

Governor Thomas E. Dewey praised the spirit of Brooklyn in launching the "Back Brooklyn Buddies With Fighting Equipment" campaign today as part of the observance of "I Am An American Day" in the borough. In a statement issued last night, the Governor noted that Brooklyn has sent more men to the Armed Forces than the totals of 39 entire states, and pointing to the fact that Brooklyn was the first of the city's five boroughs to exceed its Second War Loan quota last month, he predicted that the new drive, which continues thru Labor Day, will be successful.

I've always wanted to own my own aircraft carrier. Many years ago I was given a one-on-one tour of one during Fleet Week in NYC. Coolest thing I've ever seen.

"High heels make my ankles swell," complains glamorous Hedy Lamaar. The star of MGM's upcoming comedy "The Heavenly Body" shot most of her scenes with her feet out of view, shod in sensible low-heeled brogans. "Nurse's shoes," Miss Lamaar explained.

Good for her. At 5'7", she can do it without having her head cut off in scenes.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_16__1943_(8).jpg

(Mr. Bushmiller is still smarting from some lady criticizing his pants. And alas, in Alhambra, Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...)

Tech-nic-nee, cuffs, owing to the extra weight at the bottom, help a pair of pants hold its crease. Regardless, I'm with Phil, it seems silly to cut them off old trousers that already have them on. Virtue-signaling 1943 style.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(2).jpg

"My Devotion." It's the sick little details that make Gould a master of his craft.

Good observation, Lizzie.

Any idea why Gould put in the little "notice" window in the last panel telling us that 88 will lose in the end? The bad guys always do in his stories, but why the announcement? At the margin, it reduces the suspense.

Daily_News_Sun__May_16__1943_(7).jpg

Poor Cindy. Shoulda stuck with Lil Abner.

Neither one of these two is mature enough to be married.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_.jpg

("Atsa lotta nick'ls," chuckles Sally, sipping a Coke and scanning the paper from atop a Lieb's Candy Store stool. "I remembeh when Joe pr'posed, din' cawst him nut'n. It was afteh we won'nat dance contest at Roselan', an'ne says t'me, he says, 'whatcha say, kid, less make t'is team poimanent.' N'afteh t'at we wen' t'Hawrn'n Hawrdawrt, an' he did pay f't't, so I guess t'eah was a few nick's involved at'tat." "Joseph is a good boy," nods Ma. "He's varrrry careful with his moooney." "Yeah," nods Sally. "Y'know, I useta worry 'bout him gamblin', him an' Solly Pincus I know useta play numbehs an' bet on bawlgames an' awl'at, but since he got outta t'pickle woiks, he don' run much wit'tat kin'a crowd no moeh. T'ey don' go in much f'tat kin'a stuff at Sperry's, he says. Lotta serious people woikin'neah." "A very good thing," agrees Ma. "Gaaaamblin' can be such a carrrse on a fam'ly." "Oh, hey," interjects Sally. "I met t'is gal at woik, says she knows yeh. Says she useta go wit' Mickey. Name's Alice Dooley." Ma's face registers a barely perceptible flicker. "Alice Dooley, ye say?" she replies in a measured voice. "Yeah," continues Sally. "Big strawng red-headed gal. Tawks real loud." "Ah," nods Ma, her hands gently wringing her counter cloth. "Alice Dooley. And what did Alice Dooley have to -- ah -- say?" "Eh," ehs Sally. "Jus' she's been livin' upstate f'ra while, got back home a while back. She wants t'come oveh an' say h'lo." "Ah," replies Ma, with a tight smile. "By all means, then. Oi'd be most happy t'see her.")

Four thousand Dutch students have been deported to Germany for work in war industries, in reprisal for 90 percent of all students in the occupied Netherlands refused to sign a pledge of obedience to Nazi regulations. A report from the Aneta (Dutch) News Agency stated that the deportation was announced in a German newspaper owned by Reichsmarshal Hermann Goering. The deportations come as reports from Scandanavia suggest similar mass reprisals are imminent in Norway in the face of continuing resistance to Nazi occupation authorities. The killing of two Gestapo officers by the Norwegian resistance is said to have triggered fears of a mass wave of Nazi violence against Norwegian patriots.

Large concentrations of German Mark VI "Tiger" tanks were spotted in the Orel and Belgorod sectors today, supporting the belief in Russian military quarters that Hitler is planning a lightning offensive in the hope of paralyzing the Red Army before the Allies can open a second front in Europe. Belgorod is 42 miles north of Kharkov, and Orel is 165 miles north of Belgorod. It was stated in Moscow that the Soviet command has already worked out a method for dealing with the tanks.

Mayor LaGuardia predicted yesterday that Italy will drop out of the war soon. During his weekly broadcast over WNYC, the Mayor declared that "at this moment, Italy lies at the mercy of the United Nations," and added, "I would not be surprised to hear, in a very short time, that Mussolini has sneaked out of Italy, and the first opportunity, I predict, the Italian people will establish a government of their own."

The Mayor expressed satisfaction during his broadcast with the first city-sponsored shipment of meat to local markets, and promised "to enlarge upon these negotiated arrangements for the sale of food from producers to the stores of our city." The Mayor stated that he personally inspected the first load of meat to arrive under the auspices of the Department of Markets, and proclaimed the quality "exceptionally good." Sixty thousand pounds of meat have already arrived under a contract calling for 120,000 pounds per week, to be retailed "of course at ceiling prices." The Mayor in noting the success of the meat and potato programs turned his attention next to the possibility of a black market in onions, observing that attempts have been noted on the part of some operators to corner the market in the new onion crop, and he called upon the Federal Government to take action against such profiteers as "disloyal citizens" who should be "put on a par with those would betray their country and should be punished accordingly."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(1).jpg

(Tibbet, Stevens, Thibault, Peerce, Lawrence, Sayao, MIlstein -- and Sinatra??? Incidentially, Bidu Sayao, Brazilian opera star known for her role in "Manon," used to live just down the road from me. I drove by her house often, but I never heard her singing.)

Mayor LaGuardia urged leaders of the American Labor Party to take steps to expand that organization beyond New York State into a full nationwide third party, with the goal of preserving the gains achieved under the New Deal. Addressing an ALP Executive Committee dinner at the Hotel Commodore last night, the Mayor warned that New Deal gains are safe only so long as President Roosevelt remains at the head of the government -- and predicted that they would be "jettisoned immediately" if Mr. Roosevelt's opponents within the Democratic Party should ever gain control. "It seems to me," declared the Mayor, "that the Labor party has reached the stage where it must spread out and organize in other states. We have arrived at a time when we must assume responsibility for that balance of power." The Mayor stated that he agreed with Vice President Henry Wallace's comments on the desirablilty of maintaining the two-party system, but only as long as a clear line of demarcation exists between those parties. "What I fear," he continued, "is that, unless that is true, we may find every four years both major parties with beautiful, acceptable platforms -- and then nothing happens."

Brooklyn Councilman Peter V. Cacchione, only Communist member of the City Council, has been renominated for his seat by the Kings County Communist Party. Meeting for its nominating convention at Livingston Manor, delegates gave Cacchione, who was elected to the Council in 1940, their unanimous vote of support, and adopted a ten point party platform calling for "the closest collaboration of the United Nations and complete unity behind our Commander-In-Chief Franklin D. Roosevelt." The platform also calls for pay raises for civil service employees, elimination of racial discrimination in all fields of housing and employment, strict enforcement of rationing and price controls, and the establishment of rent control, the extension of nursery schools for the children of war workers, and the maintenance of the five-cent subway fare. In his acceptance speech, Cacchione assailed United Mine Workers President John L. Lewis and United Auto Workers executive Walter Reuther for their refusal to take a no-strike pledge for the duration of the war, a position which he called "injurious to the national war effort and harmful to organized labor."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(2).jpg

(Two leading causes for rejection of draftees in 1943 are malnutrition and illiteracy.)

A driver for the United Parcel Service faced petty larceny charges in Brooklyn-Queens Night Court after his supervisor accused him of stealing 30 gallons of gasoline and an ignition coil from the company. Twenty-one-year-old Bernard Shifter of 879 New Jersey Avenue was arraigned last night before Magistrate Peter Horn on complaint from UPS division manager Alfred Powers, 101 Crown Street, accusing the driver of siphoning the gasoline, a few gallons at a time, from an underground storage tank at division headquarters and using it in his own car, and of taking the ignition coil from a UPS garage. Shifter was ordered held on $100 bail for trial in Special Sessions Court.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(3).jpg

(THE CARDINALS? ARE THEY STILL IN THE LEAGUE??????)

Radio's "Information Please" marks its fifth anniversary tonight, now on its third sponsor, but still with the same sparkle and wit that has fueled its success all along. Over five years on the air, and 200 broadcasts, the program staff has received 4,000,000 letters from listeners containing approximately 12,000,000 questions for the panel -- enough to keep the program going for many years to come.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(4).jpg

(Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(5).jpg

(Yeah, where *is* Slim? We haven't seen or heard from the dear boy in years.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(6).jpg
(Oh, you'll think of something...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(7).jpg

(Speaking of faces, Mike -- have you had your thyroid checked?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(8).jpg

(PUSH HIM IN THE WATER KID. IT'LL LOOK LIKE AN ACCIDENT. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(9).jpg

(Looks like Jersey horsemeat again...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_.jpg

It's always nice to see someone smile for their mugshot.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(1).jpg

"Exactly like mother." Isn't that right, Ma Sweeney?

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(2).jpg

I'm not a particular fan of beards, but I think I can live with Patrick's.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(3).jpg

Written records? Well, yeah, cutting notches in the woodwork, you probably ran out of space.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(4).jpg

"TICKETS PLEASE."

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(5).jpg

Another reason why it's just as well for Joe to stay out of the Army.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(6).jpg

Rest up, boys, you're gonna need it.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(7).jpg

Andy must be a regular mathematical savant, given how instantly he can figure up the cost to his inheritance.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(8).jpg

We've said it before, and it always bears repeating: Goofy's an idiot.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(9).jpg
And that's how Doc Goldenfleece invented the NDA.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_.jpg

("Atsa lotta nick'ls," chuckles Sally, sipping a Coke and scanning the paper from atop a Lieb's Candy Store stool. "I remembeh when Joe pr'posed, din' cawst him nut'n. It was afteh we won'nat dance contest at Roselan', an'ne says t'me, he says, 'whatcha say, kid, less make t'is team poimanent.' N'afteh t'at we wen' t'Hawrn'n Hawrdawrt, an' he did pay f't't, so I guess t'eah was a few nick's involved at'tat." "Joseph is a good boy," nods Ma. "He's varrrry careful with his moooney." "Yeah," nods Sally. "Y'know, I useta worry 'bout him gamblin', him an' Solly Pincus I know useta play numbehs an' bet on bawlgames an' awl'at, but since he got outta t'pickle woiks, he don' run much wit'tat kin'a crowd no moeh. T'ey don' go in much f'tat kin'a stuff at Sperry's, he says. Lotta serious people woikin'neah." "A very good thing," agrees Ma. "Gaaaamblin' can be such a carrrse on a fam'ly." "Oh, hey," interjects Sally. "I met t'is gal at woik, says she knows yeh. Says she useta go wit' Mickey. Name's Alice Dooley." Ma's face registers a barely perceptible flicker. "Alice Dooley, ye say?" she replies in a measured voice. "Yeah," continues Sally. "Big strawng red-headed gal. Tawks real loud." "Ah," nods Ma, her hands gently wringing her counter cloth. "Alice Dooley. And what did Alice Dooley have to -- ah -- say?" "Eh," ehs Sally. "Jus' she's been livin' upstate f'ra while, got back home a while back. She wants t'come oveh an' say h'lo." "Ah," replies Ma, with a tight smile. "By all means, then. Oi'd be most happy t'see her.")

I am comfortable that I have never talked to anyone for eleven straight hours in person, let along on a phone. Also, if you have to try that hard to convince someone to marry you, something is wrong. It should work as it did for Sally and Joe.

"Living up state for awhile." Hmm, let's see, we have farms, small towns, a power plant and what else up state? I'm thinking of something in a big building with high walls all around it. I'm sure it will come to me.

It's quite possible that Joe's area just happens not to have a lot of gamblers, but I'd make book, :), that plenty of gambling takes place everyday at Sperry and that several employees also work for bookies and take bets right on the factory floor. Maybe they even drop the slips out of a widow to a runner.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_17__1943_(4).jpg

(Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...)

"Sola fide, sola scriptura, solus Christus, sola gratia -" Martin Luther.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_.jpg

It's always nice to see someone smile for their mugshot.

I think we need more details - a Daily News diagram would be great - to untangle this $10,000 story.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(2).jpg

I'm not a particular fan of beards, but I think I can live with Patrick's.

He's still a dog as he angles to have Taffy "convalesce" at his house.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(7).jpg

Andy must be a regular mathematical savant, given how instantly he can figure up the cost to his inheritance.

What makes Andy so sure he's going to outlive Bim? Based on their looks, my money is on Andy going first, but neither one of them looks like he has ten years left in him.

Daily_News_Mon__May_17__1943_(8).jpg

We've said it before, and it always bears repeating: Goofy's an idiot.

Let's pray he's never drafted; otherwise, the war will go on into '47.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have to imagine, given what we know of candy stores and those who frequent them, that Mr. Finklestein, over those eleven long hours, had to deal with many very frustrated customers with important business they were unable to transact over that phone. That's why your more forward-thinking establishments install a whole row of phones.

I have to imagine, given what we know of candy stores and those who frequent them, that Mr. Finklestein, over those eleven long hours, had to deal with many very frustrated customers with important business they were unable to transact over that phone. That's why your more forward-thinking establishments install a whole row of phones.

So how many pay phones are there in Ma's candy store, excuse me, the candy store she "watching" for the owner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy