Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The biggest force yet of four-motored British bombers dropped nearly 1500 tons of explosives on the German coal and steel center of Dortmund last night, according to a statement from the Royal Air Force. The tonnage dropped on the Dortmund hub of the Nazi war machine was "not very short" of that amount dropped on Cologne during a 1000-plane raid last May 30. The raid cost the RAF 30 bombers, and followed by a few hours a powerful attack by American planes on Nazi industrial targets at Antwerp.

It really is quite amazing that, under this type of onslaught, which almost never let up, German industry was able to produce enough to keep the Germans fighting for two more years.

Officials of the Sperry Gyroscope Company denied today that an employee at the company's Bush Terminal plant was required to quit her job in order to attend the christening of a ship named after her grandfather. Mrs. Polly Conohan Hinkamp claimed that the company refused to allow her time off from her position as an inspector in order to attend the christening of the new destroyer Conohan at the Bethlehem Steel Company's yard at Staten Island, so she quit. Sperry personnel official J. A. Fitz denied that claim, stating that Mrs. Hinkamp resigned last Friday because, she said, she was going to join her husband, Lt. Maddox Nelson Pieter Hinakamp of the Navy. Mr. Fitz noted that he has verification of this statement from two department heads, and added that "if she had asked for a night off we would have been glad to grant it under the circumstances.")

Somebody is not telling the truth. Joe, what have you heard about this?

("HEY!" yells Sally into a payphone while she waits for her train at the H&M Hudson Terminal. "Yeah! TELL'AT RICKEY PETEY WOULDA MADE T'AT PLAY!")

Really, Sally, you have time for this?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_5__1943_(7).jpg

(Y'know, Tallu, you really should wear a longer slip. Kinda misses the purpose to wear one that short.)

We've talked a lot about how stockings have all but disappeared over the past thirty years, but the slip, too, has seen a large decline in use (not quite as large a decline as stockings, though). Women use to worry about their silhouette or more showing through a thin garment, but now that just seems to be part of the game.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_5__1943_(8).jpg

(Wait, secret operatives can take private fees? WHAT KIND OF RACKET IS THIS?)

His savings from those fees is the only thing holding Irwin over until he can find a new gig. It really does appear that Irwin is out and Mike and her cow eyes are in.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_5__1943_(9).jpg

(Poor kitty. *snif*)

"I should worry about mice getting into the house."

So the cat is an early 1900s lower-east-side Jewish immigrant mother.

And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__May_5__1943_.jpg

This was horrific the first time we read about it, and the details make it even more so.

The details are sickening. These guys are entitled to their day in court, but unless the story somehow changes (and I seriously doubt it will), I hope they throw the book at them. I don't care about how young they are or how tough their upbringing was, just like they didn't care about how young Ms. O'Brien is or how tough her upbringing was.

Daily_News_Wed__May_5__1943_(2).jpg

After the war, George will take over Nick's gang.

"I've been out West establishing my business interests there, as things were getting a bit hot on the East Coast. But I keep an eye on the East Coast and, agree, George could be a good family head, umm, manager for the organization, umm, business. Also, after the war, I'd like to get that Kid and her silly dog out here."
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg

"'Silly?'"
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

Daily_News_Wed__May_5__1943_(4).jpg

The one thing I think we can be certain of is that Bim does not, in fact, understand.

No kidding. Min is the only one in the Gump universe who understands anything and even she's had her reasoning capabilities distorted but the gravitational pull of the insane Gump men.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Hah!" hahs Joe. "T'at Miss's Hinakamp! Awrways comin' roun' onneh high hawrse, tellin' me my pieces was 1-1000th off on'nat las' run! I bet when she swung t' bot'l, it was 1-1000th off!"

Sally ALWAYS has time to yell at Mr. Rickey, but to be honest he's not as much fun as McDonald or MacPhail. They'd yell back but all he does is harumph.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Back in the ‘80s I found a cookbook on the remainded table at a local bookstore detailing just how to do this. Recipes tended to give cooking duration in miles rather than time.

Sure beats cold tin beef.

Mental illness is a common thread here in the ERA circas but that little girl who ran out to traffic suicide stopped
the music completely. And the young lady engaged to a soldier assaulted by those fiendish whelps.
Senseless cruelty utterly depraved.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_.jpg

("I tell ya," sighs Danny "the Neck" Leary, "t'ol' lady ain' been reasonable since Mickey got sen' ovehseas. Got me runnin' awloveh tailin' 'at drip of a son-in-lawr a'hers 'cause she's afraid 'e might get rolled inna subway while pushin' 'at kid aroun'. I ast my ol' man about it an'ne jus' shakes his head an' says 'boy, ya do as ya tol'." "Ya right," replies rabbity little Hops Gaffney, as the pair leans against the front of Lieb's Candy Store on a warm May afternoon. "I'm afraid t'show me face aroun'heah. Las' night I brung by t'slips, an' toss'm onna counteh, an' she tells me off, 'cause t'kid's sittin'eah. 'T'kid's smawrt f'r'eh age,' she says. 'An' ya neveh know what a kid might say! I don' wan'eh ma an' pa involved,' she says. Gett'n so y'can' even do bus'ness, gotta wawk on eggs just b'cause..." Hops' soliloquy is cut short by the thud on the sidewalk of a bundle of Eagles, tossed off a passing delivery wagon, immediately followed by Ma Sweeney bursting out the door. "What did I say about loiterin', you bums," she snarls, as with a quick flip of a glittering blade she severs the wire binding the bundle and tosses the papers onto the poster-bedecked wooden rack. 'Daniel, I told ye not t'hang around here this toime 'a day, you should be at the station. And Hops, I'll bound, if ye show yarr face around here again before sundown, I'll..WHY JOSEPH! You're AAAARLY!" "Yeah," says Joe, tipping Leonora's stroller over the curb as the lumbering red trolley clatters down Rogers Avenue behind him. "I got awla shawpin' done oily t'day, so I figgehed, y'know, maybe me an' Leonora might have an ice cream b'foeh I head t' woik. "Cerrtainly, me boy," chuckles Ma with great heartiness. "G'wan inside with ye, an' we'll be roit with ye. How's me darlin' garrl today, huh?" "G'amaw!" burbles Leonora. Her eyes widen as they catch sight of Hops, his large ears jutting up from under his hat. Pointing his way and turning to her father she gasps. "Da! Easteh bunny!" "Fresh kid," mutters Hops, as he flicks his cigarette but into the gutter and stalks away. "Heh!" hehs Joe, picking up an Eagle and scanning the front page as he heads inside. "A pig inna Lincoln Tunnel! I ask ya!")

The Red Army is reported to be closing on Novorossisk from the northeast today in a major offensive which has broken thru the rim of the Kuban bridgehead on a 15 1/2 mile front that threatened to envelop the Black Sea naval base. Russian troops had been fighting at the southern outskirts of Novorossisk thruout the winter and the new push of eight miles, which netted 11 towns and killed more than 7000 Axis troops were poised to take the key base in the northwest Caucasus.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(1).jpg

(Meanwhile, somewhere in North Africa, Private First Class Solomon J. Pincus feels the twinge in his own shoulder, shifts his pack, and continues on.)

A sporadic gun battle between Jews and German SS execution squads has raged day and night since April 20 in the Warsaw ghetto, where thousands of Jews are segregated behind stone and barbed wire walls. Reports from Polish sources stated that Poles have supplied arms to the Jewish resistance fighters, who have barricaded themselves in miniature forts erected in tenement houses and storefronts out of furniture and bedsteads. The number of casualties is unknown as the fighting continues.

Premier Wladislaw Sikorski of the Polish Government in Exile today hailed a proposal by Soviet Premier Josef Stalin for a formal Polish-Russian treaty that would officially ally the two nations against Germany. The proposal from the Soviet leader came as Allied sources indicated that the prospects for a resumption of diplomatic relations between the Soviets and the Poles are brightening. "The Polish nation of course wants to continue friendly relations with Soviet Russia," the Polish premier stated, "and to base them on an alliance directed against Germany." Premier Stalin's overture to the Poles noted that Germany has "for ages been the common and implacable enemy of both Poles and Russians," and declared that "should the Polish people so desire," an alliance of the two peoples against the common foe would be in order, leading to a "strong and independent Poland" after the war. Sikorski stated that his government welcomes any Soviet initiative which will "coincide with the interests of the Polish republic."

City police are cooperating with agents of the Office of Price Administration in the crackdown on illegal use of B and C gasoline rations for pleasure driving. Mayor LaGuardia has pledged the police department's full support for the knuckling-down on ration violators. Local ration officials reiterated the statement by Price Administrator Prentiss Brown that "the honor system is no longer in vogue."

Brooklyn, running true to form, turned in the best performance of any section in last night's surprise blackout drill, an extensive test which spanned the entire southern portion of New York State. The first blue signal sounded at 9 PM, and in less than a minute the entire borough plunged into darkness save for street lights. When the sirens sounded the wavering howl of the red signal at 9:20 PM, the street lights too were immediately doused, all traffic stopped, and pedestrians hustled for shelter. But it was the second blue signal, sounded at 9:30, that proved Brooklyn's mettle. While reports from Nassau, Suffolk, and other outlying counties indicated that many people assumed the test was over and snapped their lights back on, Brooklyn remained dark until the final all-clear sounded at 9:55. Only a few scattered violations were recorded by wardens and police. In Queens, 48 year old Henry J. Olsen, operator of a tavern at 83-18 Parsons Boulevard in Jamaica, was cited for disorderly conduct after he turned on his lights at the second blue signal and, when Warden Gladys Mant ordered him to put them out, he replied with abusive language and ejected her from the tavern. Miss Mant returned with a patrolman, who placed the tavern keeper under arrest.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(2).jpg

(It could be worse.)

The Eagle Editorialst repudiates the arguments of "hard-shell males" that women shouldn't operate trolley cars. Women operated trolleys during the last war, women routinely drive automobiles and trucks, they operate trolleys in other cities --so why *shouldn't* women operate trolley cars?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(3).jpg

("Oh, an' mercurochrome makes lousy hair dye!")

The driver of a newspaper delivery wagon remains hospitalized after his horse bolted, and pinned him beneath the overturned wagon in Park Slope. 35-year-old Joseph Groen was driving the wagon along Prospect Park West, when the horse became balky and unmanageable. Running out of control, the horse knocked over a mailbox at the corner of Prospect Park West and Reeve Place, and then collided with a fire alarm pole, causing the alarm to go off. As the horse continued its rampage, the wagon finally tipped over, trapping the driver underneath, breaking his right arm and crushing his left foot. Groen was taken to Methodist Hospital, where part of his foot had to be amputated.

While hearing a probate case in Surrogate Court in Mineola yesterday, Surrogate Leone D. Howell was startled when she summoned Miss Blanche Sadowski, of 25 Prospect Street in Hempstead, to the bench and a neatly dressed young man stepped forward. Miss Sadowski informed the Surrogate that she "used to work for the Secret Service in male disguise," and found it so comfortable that she adopted the identity on a permanent basis, taking employment at a W. T. Grant department store under the name of Bert Sadowski. After Sadowski displayed a draft card in that name, issued in New Hyde Park, Surrogate Howell ordered the matter turned over to Nassau County police and the FBI for investigation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(4).jpg

(HEY DUCKY MAYBE *YOU* SHOULD TRY WEARING GLASSES!)

Radio listeners are still wondering what was so funny when newsman Lowell Thomas exploded into paroxysms of laughter at the conclusion of his evening broadcast last Friday. Thomas had just finished reading a story about a 46 year old mother of 22 children, and then began a piece on film star Alice Faye retiring from acting in order to "get acquainted with her baby" before losing control of himself.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(5).jpg

(Miss O'Toole has only one expression, and I enjoy it immensely.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(6).jpg

(What'd I say yesterday? If Tallu had worn a longer slip, you wouldn't have seen any silhouette!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(7).jpg

(Y'know, I bet a lot of fancy restaurants that serve flaming crepes-suzette have problems with deadbeats.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(8).jpg

("Rabbits? Pfft, let's go jack some deer!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_.jpg

(I wonder if this is what Jo and George's courtship was like?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_.jpg
If the manager "aided and abetted" this, that takes it to a whole new level of horrific.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(1).jpg

Yeah, I had a feeling we hadn't heard the last of this.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(2).jpg

I imagine they'll smell the rat trap pretty soon.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(3).jpg

You really didn't think this out, did you?

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(5).jpg

It's no business of yours, Bimbo, don't get inv....oh, never mind.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(6).jpg

"We're off on the road to Morocco..."

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(7).jpg

"Flip you for it!"

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(8).jpg

"YOU TWO WEREN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HOME!"

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(9).jpg

Sorry, no seats left. You'll have to wait for the next plane.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(10).jpg

You know, Moon really ought to be in the Army.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_.jpg

("I tell ya," sighs Danny "the Neck" Leary, "t'ol' lady ain' been reasonable since Mickey got sen' ovehseas. Got me runnin' awloveh tailin' 'at drip of a son-in-lawr a'hers 'cause she's afraid 'e might get rolled inna subway while pushin' 'at kid aroun'. I ast my ol' man about it an'ne jus' shakes his head an' says 'boy, ya do as ya tol'." "Ya right," replies rabbity little Hops Gaffney, as the pair leans against the front of Lieb's Candy Store on a warm May afternoon. "I'm afraid t'show me face aroun'heah. Las' night I brung by t'slips, an' toss'm onna counteh, an' she tells me off, 'cause t'kid's sittin'eah. 'T'kid's smawrt f'r'eh age,' she says. 'An' ya neveh know what a kid might say! I don' wan'eh ma an' pa involved,' she says. Gett'n so y'can' even do bus'ness, gotta wawk on eggs just b'cause..." Hops' soliloquy is cut short by the thud on the sidewalk of a bundle of Eagles, tossed off a passing delivery wagon, immediately followed by Ma Sweeney bursting out the door. "What did I say about loiterin', you bums," she snarls, as with a quick flip of a glittering blade she severs the wire binding the bundle and tosses the papers onto the poster-bedecked wooden rack. 'Daniel, I told ye not t'hang around here this toime 'a day, you should be at the station. And Hops, I'll bound, if ye show yarr face around here again before sundown, I'll..WHY JOSEPH! You're AAAARLY!" "Yeah," says Joe, tipping Leonora's stroller over the curb as the lumbering red trolley clatters down Rogers Avenue behind him. "I got awla shawpin' done oily t'day, so I figgehed, y'know, maybe me an' Leonora might have an ice cream b'foeh I head t' woik. "Cerrtainly, me boy," chuckles Ma with great heartiness. "G'wan inside with ye, an' we'll be roit with ye. How's me darlin' garrl today, huh?" "G'amaw!" burbles Leonora. Her eyes widen as they catch sight of Hops, his large ears jutting up from under his hat. Pointing his way and turning to her father she gasps. "Da! Easteh bunny!" "Fresh kid," mutters Hops, as he flicks his cigarette but into the gutter and stalks away. "Heh!" hehs Joe, picking up an Eagle and scanning the front page as he heads inside. "A pig inna Lincoln Tunnel! I ask ya!")

Meat-starved NYC isn't going to feel this way, but I think the pig deserves a reprieve for his impressive attempt at an escape.

A sporadic gun battle between Jews and German SS execution squads has raged day and night since April 20 in the Warsaw ghetto, where thousands of Jews are segregated behind stone and barbed wire walls. Reports from Polish sources stated that Poles have supplied arms to the Jewish resistance fighters, who have barricaded themselves in miniature forts erected in tenement houses and storefronts out of furniture and bedsteads. The number of casualties is unknown as the fighting continues.

Another awful stain on the soul of 1940s Germany.

Premier Wladislaw Sikorski of the Polish Government in Exile today hailed a proposal by Soviet Premier Josef Stalin for a formal Polish-Russian treaty that would officially ally the two nations against Germany. The proposal from the Soviet leader came as Allied sources indicated that the prospects for a resumption of diplomatic relations between the Soviets and the Poles are brightening. "The Polish nation of course wants to continue friendly relations with Soviet Russia," the Polish premier stated, "and to base them on an alliance directed against Germany." Premier Stalin's overture to the Poles noted that Germany has "for ages been the common and implacable enemy of both Poles and Russians," and declared that "should the Polish people so desire," an alliance of the two peoples against the common foe would be in order, leading to a "strong and independent Poland" after the war. Sikorski stated that his government welcomes any Soviet initiative which will "coincide with the interests of the Polish republic."

"Premier Stalin's overture to the Poles noted that Germany has 'for ages been the common and implacable enemy of both Poles and Russians,' and declared that 'should the Polish people so desire,' an alliance of the two peoples against the common foe would be in order, leading to a 'strong and independent Poland' after the war." [Bold added]

That didn't quite work out. The problem with the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" realpolitik is that sometimes he's also your enemy.

Radio listeners are still wondering what was so funny when newsman Lowell Thomas exploded into paroxysms of laughter at the conclusion of his evening broadcast last Friday. Thomas had just finished reading a story about a 46 year old mother of 22 children, and then began a piece on film star Alice Faye retiring from acting in order to "get acquainted with her baby" before losing control of himself.

"...a 46 year old mother of 22 children..." Jesus.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__May_6__1943_(8).jpg

("Rabbits? Pfft, let's go jack some deer!")

Okay, panel four is funny.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_.jpg

If the manager "aided and abetted" this, that takes it to a whole new level of horrific.

Agreed.

Just like with free speech, the test of your convictions about impartial justice/fair trails/innocent until proven guilty is when you have to support those rights and protections for someone whom you detest saying or doing something you detest. I'm glad these scumbag boys are provided those protections, but I'm also glad I don't have to be their lawyer.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(3).jpg

You really didn't think this out, did you?

Tracy really does operate in a parallel universe where he makes the laws about warrants, holding suspects and bringing people in.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(6).jpg

"We're off on the road to Morocco..."

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(9).jpg

Sorry, no seats left. You'll have to wait for the next plane.

King and Caniff do their homework and, as a result, have done an outstanding job of bringing the war to their readers. There's real historical value to their work.

Daily_News_Thu__May_6__1943_(10).jpg

You know, Moon really ought to be in the Army.

This is what Skeezix and Joss and the rest are fighting to protect.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rouge loaded her up pretty good with morphine, and it's not clear how much time has elapse between the time she abandoned Taffy, she ended up on the boat, the boat got strafed, and finally was found by Connie and Stoop -- and then how long it's been since then. We may be only looking at a matter of a couple of days for all this to happen, and morphine can knock you out pretty good (I had it post-surgery, and have very little memory of about two days until I came out of it.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_.jpg

("STILLWELL AVENEH!" bellows a creased-faced BMT conductor as the train grinds to a halt and weary passengers shuffle to the doors. "AWL OUT! ENNEH'T'LINE! AWL OUT! Hey, lady, t'at means YOU!" He reaches down and shakes the unconscious woman by the shoulder. "C'MON LADY LET'S GO!" "Mmmnnhhh," murmurs Sally, her glasses askew and her eyes even more so. "I SAID LET'S GO! ENNEH'T'LINE!" "Huh?" huhs Sally, her vision slowly swimming into focus. "Zis Prospec' Pawrk? Awready?" "Stillwell Aveneh, lady," growls the conductor, looking at his watch. "Enneh't'line. C'mon now, we ain' got awl night." "Uh," uhs Sally, gathering the shards of her wits. "Musta missed my stop." "Prospec' Pawk?," guffaws the conductor. "Moeh like y'mis't foehteen stops. C'mon, toots, snapout've it, ya gotta mov'alawng. Go get a room s'mplace, sleep t'rest've it awf." "Y'don'unnehstan'," mumbles Sally. "I gotta pick up m'li'l goil. I woik oveh t'Joisey, musta fell asleep.." "Yeah, yeah, ya lit'l goil is wait'n fawr ya," eyerolls the conductor. "Le's go, rouna t'oteh' platfawrm t'eah, catch t' Numbeh One train, take ya right back up. An' don' pass out again!" Sally mumbles thanks as she staggers out onto the platform and heads off. "Now whatcha t'inka t'at," shrugs the conductor to a guard. "On'y ha'f pas'' six at night, an' she's awready stewed t't' gills." "Damn shame," agrees the guard. "City's goin' straight t'hell, y'know?")

A high-ranking Soviet diplomat charged today that Polish diplomats and army officers have engaged in espionage against the Soviet Union. Deputy Foreign Commissar Andrei J. Vishinsky told Anglo-American reporters at a Moscow press conference that Polish provocateurs have been tried and expelled from the USSR, including General Romuald Wolikowsky, former head of the Polish military mission to Russia, who, Vishinsky asserted, "played an important part in espionage" against the Soviets, and that members of the Polish Embassy staff in Moscow have also engaged in spy activities. Vishinsky further charged that the Polish Government in Exile violated the terms of the Polish-Russian Friendship Pact of July 30, 1941 by refusing to permit Polish troops to fight the Germans on the Russian front. A Polish army had been organized for that purpose, but has never fought. Vishinski noted that the Soviet government loaned the Poles 300,000,000 rubles to finance that army, but has received nothing in return. Vashinsky declared that the future of Polish-Russian relations is in the hands of the Government-in-Exile."It is up to the Polish government," he maintained, "to think about the steps to be taken."

Mayor LaGuardia and the Police Department, under fire for a wave of burglaries in Brooklyn's Hill section, received a vote of confidence today from a political opponent. Harry Wolkof, assistant clerk of the Gates Avenue Municipal Court, and a Democrat who has opposed the Mayor in the past, declared in a letter made public today that the Mayor "has done a pretty fair job, has chased chislers and thugs off the street corners, and has made New York City the finest and the cleanest in the country." Wolkof pointed out that it was not so long ago that the entire city seemed to be "in the clutches of gangsters, and businessmen seemed compelled to put thugs on their payrolls to protect themselves and their property," and asserted that to claim that crime is rampant and goes unpunished is to do the city "a grave injustice."

In Mineola, Long Island, an aircraft worker stabbed himself in the abdomen with an ice pick after his estranged wife took him to court in order to seek an increase in child support payments. Thirty-four-year-old Lewis De Curtis of Greenvale, a laborer at the Grumman Aircraft plant in Bethpage, thrust the icepick into his abdomen in the anteroom of Children's Court, as horrified spectators and Probation Department Director Mrs. Paula Golnick tried to dissuade him. De Curtis had agreed to raise his support payments for his two young children from $10 a week to $20, but when his wife Rosalie refused to consider a reconciliation, he swore to kill himself. The ice-pick wound was not serious, and after detectives disarmed him, De Curtis was taken to Meadowbrook Hospital for a psychiatric examination.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (1).jpg

("Misplaced? Well, you know how it is, we geniuses are always so disorganized...")

The cases of Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, and Louis Capone, ringleaders of the Murder for Money Gang, reach their highest jurisdictional appeal today in arguments before the U. S. Supreme Court. The three men face death sentences for first-degree murder convictions in the 1936 assassination of Brownsville candy store man Joseph Rosen, who, it was charged, was killed to prevent him testifying in then-Manhattan District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey's investigation of racketeering in the trucking industry. Counsel for the defendants charges that they were not given a fair trial due to "propaganda" resulting from newspaper publicity surrounding the case.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (3).jpg

("But sir -- it's a coffee bush!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (4).jpg

(I suppose if you're a ballplayer named "Maurice Archdeacon," you'd *better* know how to run.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (5).jpg

("Fish!" blurts Leonora," as Ma Sweeney approaches the Patio box office for a late matinee. "That's right, darrlin, we'll go look at th' fish, in just a minute." "Y'can't bring no baby in heeh," drawls the gum-cracking ticket seller. "Sawry, house rules." "Ahem," ahems Ma. "Oh, it's *you,* Mrs. Sweeney. MY mistake. You go right awn in.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (6).jpg

("I want to ask you about Patti..." "THAT'S IT STRIKE CALLED!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (7).jpg

(Didn't he just leave last week? Wow, those Marines work fast!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (8).jpg

("There must be a secret stairway, leading to an underground lair!" "What? How do you know that?" "There's always a secret stairway leading to an underground lair!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (9).jpg

(What's more terrifying than a clown at your window at midnight? Lovable woodland creatures in the forest at midnight!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (10).jpg

("What a great blackout!" Life is nothing without small pleasures.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_.jpg

Oh, and the occasional orgy...

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (1).jpg

"The Secret Service office here said women agents have never been used." Well, not as far as you know...

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (2).jpg

"Nick? Is that you?" "How did you get this number??" "Aw, shucks, Nick, you know better than to ask that!"

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (3).jpg

Oh MY. Henrietta Carr, formerly Henrietta Zander, was the widow of evil Townsend Zander -- with whom Bim had a spectacular dalliance more than twenty years ago, which ended in an even more spectacular breach-of-promise suit. She subsequently married Tom Carr, a hapless inventor who had just lost the love of his life, the tragic Mary Gold, whose death in 1929 was the Raven Sherman story of that era. Tom had had trouble of his own -- he had been framed and sent to prison for a robbery he didn't commit, and just when he and Henrietta were finding happiness, Bim, out of jealousy, tried to ruin them. Then Townsend Zander turned up alive, and threatened to kill them all before Bim drove him off to his presumed death. The last we saw of Tom, he was wearing the uniform of an Army officer, so he is presumably off to war while Henrietta -- oh, please, no....

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (4).jpg

Frank King never served in the Army and he's never been to North Africa. But you'd never know it.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (5).jpg

"Ehhh, you'll get over it."

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (6).jpg

That's not going to be conspicuous, no sirree.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (7).jpg

All pilots are dawgs.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (8).jpg

Just another night in the neighborhood...

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (9).jpg

It's amazing how popular checkerboard prints are in 1943.

("STILLWELL AVENEH!" bellows a creased-faced BMT conductor as the train grinds to a halt and weary passengers shuffle to the doors. "AWL OUT! ENNEH'T'LINE! AWL OUT! Hey, lady, t'at means YOU!" He reaches down and shakes the unconscious woman by the shoulder. "C'MON LADY LET'S GO!" "Mmmnnhhh," murmurs Sally, her glasses askew and her eyes even more so. "I SAID LET'S GO! ENNEH'T'LINE!" "Huh?" huhs Sally, her vision slowly swimming into focus. "Zis Prospec' Pawrk? Awready?" "Stillwell Aveneh, lady," growls the conductor, looking at his watch. "Enneh't'line. C'mon now, we ain' got awl night." "Uh," uhs Sally, gathering the shards of her wits. "Musta missed my stop." "Prospec' Pawk?," guffaws the conductor. "Moeh like y'mis't foehteen stops. C'mon, toots, snapout've it, ya gotta mov'alawng. Go get a room s'mplace, sleep t'rest've it awf." "Y'don'unnehstan'," mumbles Sally. "I gotta pick up m'li'l goil. I woik oveh t'Joisey, musta fell asleep.." "Yeah, yeah, ya lit'l goil is wait'n fawr ya," eyerolls the conductor. "Le's go, rouna t'oteh' platfawrm t'eah, catch t' Numbeh One train, take ya right back up. An' don' pass out again!" Sally mumbles thanks as she staggers out onto the platform and heads off. "Now whatcha t'inka t'at," shrugs the conductor to a guard. "On'y ha'f pas'' six at night, an' she's awready stewed t't' gills." "Damn shame," agrees the guard. "City's goin' straight t'hell, y'know?")

When I was doing my three-legged commute, I had to be very focused not to let what happened to Sally happen to me as you get insanely tired (long work days, plus long commute leaves you little time for yourself, so sleep gets short changed) and the rocking of the train can easily put you to sleep.

A high-ranking Soviet diplomat charged today that Polish diplomats and army officers have engaged in espionage against the Soviet Union. Deputy Foreign Commissar Andrei J. Vishinsky told Anglo-American reporters at a Moscow press conference that Polish provocateurs have been tried and expelled from the USSR, including General Romuald Wolikowsky, former head of the Polish military mission to Russia, who, Vishinsky asserted, "played an important part in espionage" against the Soviets, and that members of the Polish Embassy staff in Moscow have also engaged in spy activities. Vishinsky further charged that the Polish Government in Exile violated the terms of the Polish-Russian Friendship Pact of July 30, 1941 by refusing to permit Polish troops to fight the Germans on the Russian front. A Polish army had been organized for that purpose, but has never fought. Vishinski noted that the Soviet government loaned the Poles 300,000,000 rubles to finance that army, but has received nothing in return. Vashinsky declared that the future of Polish-Russian relations is in the hands of the Government-in-Exile."It is up to the Polish government," he maintained, "to think about the steps to be taken."

I believe our expression here is, Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before....

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (1).jpg

("Misplaced? Well, you know how it is, we geniuses are always so disorganized...")

From now eighty-year-old newsreel clips you can tell this guy should be rejected. The real miracle is that he lived to be seventy. I'd have made an over-under of 45 on him at that time. I'm not even buying they did the tests; the doc took one look at him and stamped "4-F" on his papers while hollering out "next!"

("Fish!" blurts Leonora," as Ma Sweeney approaches the Patio box office for a late matinee. "That's right, darrlin, we'll go look at th' fish, in just a minute." "Y'can't bring no baby in heeh," drawls the gum-cracking ticket seller. "Sawry, house rules." "Ahem," ahems Ma. "Oh, it's *you,* Mrs. Sweeney. MY mistake. You go right awn in.")

b696b1c2-6009-4446-83de-17daa4668554_text.gif

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_7__1943_ (9).jpg

(What's more terrifying than a clown at your window at midnight? Lovable woodland creatures in the forest at midnight!)

Second day in a row of a really good panel four. These two were "enemies" back in town.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_.jpg

Oh, and the occasional orgy...

"Uncollectible IOUs from Broadway celebrities..." I'll take redundant phrases for $200 Alex.

"Assorted fineries," you know Page Four thought about going into detail about these items.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (2).jpg

"Nick? Is that you?" "How did you get this number??" "Aw, shucks, Nick, you know better than to ask that!"

I know it's not going to happen, but that would be the best storyline development ever.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (3).jpg

Oh MY. Henrietta Carr, formerly Henrietta Zander, was the widow of evil Townsend Zander -- with whom Bim had a spectacular dalliance more than twenty years ago, which ended in an even more spectacular breach-of-promise suit. She subsequently married Tom Carr, a hapless inventor who had just lost the love of his life, the tragic Mary Gold, whose death in 1929 was the Raven Sherman story of that era. Tom had had trouble of his own -- he had been framed and sent to prison for a robbery he didn't commit, and just when he and Henrietta were finding happiness, Bim, out of jealousy, tried to ruin them. Then Townsend Zander turned up alive, and threatened to kill them all before Bim drove him off to his presumed death. The last we saw of Tom, he was wearing the uniform of an Army officer, so he is presumably off to war while Henrietta -- oh, please, no....

Great background, thank you, Lizzie.

"It's bad enough to be married to a jailbird, but when he turns out to be two-timer - ah!"

She has a point, when that happens, you really have to stop and evaluate your decisioning process as it's quite likely something in it is broken.

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (6).jpg

That's not going to be conspicuous, no sirree.

A few weeks later at the storage warehouse: "Anybody else smell something funny? Like something died in here?"

Daily_News_Fri__May_7__1943_ (9).jpg

It's amazing how popular checkerboard prints are in 1943.

Checkerboard prints also had a (thankfully) very brief moment in the 1980s because they were worn in a popular music video that I can't recall right now.

"Ahem!" Perfect.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_.jpg

("Yep," yeps Sally, as she proffers a spoonful of Gerber beef to Leonora. "Pretty soon we c'n getcha sm'oeh beets! Mmmmmm, beets is good fawr ya, gives ya lotsa ene'gy!" "Sppppppt!" replies Leonora, as the conversation is interrupted by a knock at the door. Sally steps over and opens it to reveal the nervous rodentine figure of Hops Gaffney. "T' ol' lady -- I mean, ya ma -- um, Miss'is Sweeney sen' me," says the rabbity one. "She wants I should pick up y' lawndry?" "Lawndry?" queries Sally. "Yeh," replies Hops, wishing he were anyplace else. "Y'know, ya doity clo'es, an' sheets an' -- um -- stuff." "Whassis awlabout?" challenges Sally, her arms sternly folded. "What'm I," shrugs Hops, "Dunningeh t' Ment'list?" He reaches into his coat and hands Sally an envelope. "Heeh," he explains. "Ya ma wrotecha a note." Sally regards him for a long moment, and rolls her eyes. "Awright," she says, placing the envelope on the kitchen table. "I'll go get t'lawndry." Sally withdraws to the bedroom, as Hops shifts nervously from foot to foot and Leonora stares. "Easteh bunny!" she gasps. "Nah," mutters Hops. "Santy Claus." "Spppppt!" laughs Leonora, tossing the spoon to the floor, where Stella the Cat leaps into instantaneous action to lick it clean. Sally returns to hand Hops a large wicker basket full of soiled garments. "Tell'eh no stawrch," instructs Sally. "Joe don' like no stawrch." Hops replies with a pained smirk, and withdraws. Closing the door, Sally picks up the envelope, regards it curiously, and peels it open. She gasps as she withdraws a slim sheaf of very large bills.)

Democratic leaders in Brooklyn are quietly sounding out sentiment on the choice of a City Court judicial nominee to round out the party's slate in the 1943 elections. The incumbent Judge Joseph V. Gallagher, Brooklyn Democrat, will retire from the $17,500 per year seat on the bench at the end of this year due to constitutional age limitations. The position, which carries a ten year term, will come before voters, along with the position of District Attorney, this fall, with all members of the City Council also up for reelection. Judge Gallagher was first elected to the City Court in 1929, and received the nomination of the Republican Party as well as his own when he was up for reelection in 1939. Among the high-ranking local Democrats whose names have been mentioned for the position are Acting District Attorney Thomas Craddock, who has acted as Kings County's chief prosecutor whole District Attorney William O'Dwyer has been serving in the Army, Edward A. Vossler, former state commander of the American Legion, Municipal Court Justice George J. Joyce, and U. S. Attorney Harold M. Kennedy -- although Mr. Kennedy is seen also as a likely candidate for the United States Supreme Court.

A flag which will represent the Four Freedoms around the world is ready for consideration as the official banner of the United Nations. The design features four red bars against a white field, symbolizing freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from fear, and freedom from want, and was unofficially approved last year by the embassies and legations of all of the Allied nations represented in Washington. Along with the flag, a universal symbol to represent the United Nations is also proposed by the design committee, consisting of four upright bars rendered in any color.

Women are rapidly replacing men in Long Island's defense plants. Figures released today by War Manpower Board Chairman Paul V. McNutt reveal that about one third of the workers in local aircraft plants are women, and that in some factories, between seventy and eighty percent of newly-hired workers are women.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(1).jpg

(There are worse things than riding the H&M to New Jersey.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(2).jpg

(AND NOT ONLY THAT WE STILL CAN'T GET FIRST RUN MOVIES!)

Six hundred soft coal miners in Western Pennsylvania walked off the job on the night shift last night at the Vesta No. 4 captive mine of the Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation, a wildcat strike protesting a $1 per worker assessment made against them in reprisal for their earlier wildcat walkout that precipitated the present labor crisis in the coal industry. The work stoppage is the first difficulty to arise since President Roosevelt seized the mines in the name of the Federal Government last week, and in a press conference yesterday, the President warned that he would not tolerate another coal strike if contract matters have not been settled when the present truce expires. Other officials at Washington today stated that they had not been informed of the Vesta No. 4 walkout, and indicated that they will "cross that bridge when we come to it."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(3).jpg

("It's as much of a corn flake as the earlier model." Mr. Allen is a uniquely articulate athlete.)

The Philadelphia Stars, said by connoiseurs of Negro baseball to be even more formidable than the Black Yankees or the Cuban Stars, will move into Dexter Park to challenge the Bushwicks. The latter two teams were handily beaten by the locals over the past two weeks, but the Stars, a hard-hitting club under the leadership of Goose Curry, has seven key veterans still on hand from the squad that came in third in the Negro National League last year, and for a wartime team, that is a factor to be reckoned with.

The Brooklyn-Long Island Defense League will present a doubleheader tomorrow at Ebbets Field, with Dixie Walker's Sperry Gyroscope squad taking on Republic Aircraft in the first game, and the fiery Grumman Wildcats facing Sullivan Drydock in the nightcap.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(4).jpg

(What Might Have Been: "Executive Producer Chas. DeGaulle.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(5).jpg

(Y'know, if you'd open your eyes for a change, you'd see that you deserve better than you're getting. )

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(6).jpg

(Meanwhile, the next jungle over, a Navy lieutenant, a Marine, two Chinese enlisted men, and a drugged-out nurse wonder what all the racket is.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(7).jpg

(Careful, chinboy-- I hear that chefs are really good with knives.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(9).jpg

(Mr. Beck is preparing to write the dogs out of the strip, and change the title to "PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE DAD.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(10).jpg

(Children Learn What They Live.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_.jpg

This manager is looking more and more like the actual ringleader. No words.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(1).jpg

Marines at Guadalcanal? I dunno, I get more the image of cue sticks swinging like Basil Rathbone's sword.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(2).jpg

"Oh, little trick I learned from a woman I used to know..."

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(3).jpg

Who nails down the top of a piano, anyway?

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(4).jpg
Oh, and get a haircut before you go in!

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(5).jpg
Hm, didn't Nick have a boat?

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(6).jpg

Pushing your luck, gooseface.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(7).jpg

What, 7:30??? And miss "Ellery Queen?"

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(8).jpg

"They've finally accepted my enlistment in the Junior Commandos!"

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(9).jpg

That's apparently a Greek specialty. Who knew?

("Yep," yeps Sally, as she proffers a spoonful of Gerber beef to Leonora. "Pretty soon we c'n getcha sm'oeh beets! Mmmmmm, beets is good fawr ya, gives ya lotsa ene'gy!" "Sppppppt!" replies Leonora, as the conversation is interrupted by a knock at the door. Sally steps over and opens it to reveal the nervous rodentine figure of Hops Gaffney. "T' ol' lady -- I mean, ya ma -- um, Miss'is Sweeney sen' me," says the rabbity one. "She wants I should pick up y' lawndry?" "Lawndry?" queries Sally. "Yeh," replies Hops, wishing he were anyplace else. "Y'know, ya doity clo'es, an' sheets an' -- um -- stuff." "Whassis awlabout?" challenges Sally, her arms sternly folded. "What'm I," shrugs Hops, "Dunningeh t' Ment'list?" He reaches into his coat and hands Sally an envelope. "Heeh," he explains. "Ya ma wrotecha a note." Sally regards him for a long moment, and rolls her eyes. "Awright," she says, placing the envelope on the kitchen table. "I'll go get t'lawndry." Sally withdraws to the bedroom, as Hops shifts nervously from foot to foot and Leonora stares. "Easteh bunny!" she gasps. "Nah," mutters Hops. "Santy Claus." "Spppppt!" laughs Leonora, tossing the spoon to the floor, where Stella the Cat leaps into instantaneous action to lick it clean. Sally returns to hand Hops a large wicker basket full of soiled garments. "Tell'eh no stawrch," instructs Sally. "Joe don' like no stawrch." Hops replies with a pained smirk, and withdraws. Closing the door, Sally picks up the envelope, regards it curiously, and peels it open. She gasps as she withdraws a slim sheaf of very large bills.)

"Rodentine?" Google.

rodentine

adv., pertaining to or describing the skittish, rodent-like behaviors of social outcasts and the lower echelon leeching off their perceived superiors. pertaining to gold digging or sugar-daddyistic activities.
n., suck up, leech, chicken-head, hooker, trick
her rodentine behavior was defined by her s-xual promiscuity in order to fulfill her materialistic desires.

Ah, got it.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(3).jpg

("It's as much of a corn flake as the earlier model." Mr. Allen is a uniquely articulate athlete.)

There were a lot colorful comments in that article. It really is amazing what's going on with the ball in 1943.

The Philadelphia Stars, said by connoiseurs of Negro baseball to be even more formidable than the Black Yankees or the Cuban Stars, will move into Dexter Park to challenge the Bushwicks. The latter two teams were handily beaten by the locals over the past two weeks, but the Stars, a hard-hitting club under the leadership of Goose Curry, has seven key veterans still on hand from the squad that came in third in the Negro National League last year, and for a wartime team, that is a factor to be reckoned with.

Does anyone, Lizzie, know what the crowds at these games were like? I assume the were mainly made up of blacks, but is that true - did whites go in any meaningful numbers to these games? Were the turnouts good and the league profitable?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_8__1943_(7).jpg

(Careful, chinboy-- I hear that chefs are really good with knives.)

"How many other exits does this restaurant have, Mr. Philippe?"
"Only one..."

Did he learn nothing from the Coconut Grove fire?

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_.jpg

This manager is looking more and more like the actual ringleader. No words.

This story would be horrific even by today's standards and that says a lot.

The Duke and Dutches os Windsor are coming to Miami. Remember our Fedora Lounge long-time observation about the Windsors: All new news about them, unbelievably, lowers your already low opinion of them.

Let's see if it holds this trip.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(1).jpg

Marines at Guadalcanal? I dunno, I get more the image of cue sticks swinging like Basil Rathbone's sword.

Good for them though.

"...Kovaric...already on parole from Sing Sing as a robber." The thing about all these sincere efforts to give prisoners second chances, to not dispense justice too harshly, etc., which do help many, have a cost too, which in this case was just a scalp wound, but could easily have been several dead.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(5).jpg

Hm, didn't Nick have a boat?

I don't want to get my hopes up.

Panel five:
"Let's haul him in and see what we can sweat out of him in the interrogation room."
"But on what charge?"
"Having the stupidest beard ever."
" I can see that."

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(8)-2.jpg

"They've finally accepted my enlistment in the Junior Commandos!"

Annie would never take this guy.

Daily_News_Sat__May_8__1943_(9)-2.jpg

That's apparently a Greek specialty. Who knew?

Back in the '70s and '80s, when many diners were still owned by Greek immigrants or their children, the menus would have items just like that on them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Negro League clubs were always a big draw at Dexter Park, which has, in 1943, a capacity of about 15,000. While the Bushwicks themselves are a white team, they usually get their best crowds against Negro League opponents, who, as we see, come thru regularly. The fanbase at Dexter Park is mostly white, but black crowds turn out in good numbers to see these games.

1024px-Dexter_Field_historical_marker_20190208_152112.jpg

Black teams playing at major league parks draw quite well -- the Homestead Grays split their home schedule between Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and Griffith Stadium in Washington, and in the latter park they routinely outdraw the Senators on a game-for-game basis. One reason why there is so much opposition to integration from major league owners in 1943 is that rental of parks to Negro League clubs is a significant portion of the revenue for a number of less-prosperous franchises -- and even the Yankees make a good deal of money from the Black Yankees.

The big marquee event of Negro League ball, the East-West All Star Game played every year at Comiskey Park, has drawn 40,000 to 50,000 since the war began.

The Negro Leagues themselves were considered, at the time, the biggest black-owned enterprise in the US. Although several of the franchises were bankrolled by investors who had made their money in the numbers racket -- Abe Manley of the Newark (formerly Brooklyn) Eagles, Gus Greenlee of the Pittsburgh Crawfords, a few others -- the teams themselves tended to be profitable on their own basis. The main difference between the majors and the Negro Leagues on an operational basis is that Negro League contracts didn't use the Reserve Clause, meaning players essentialy became free agents at the end of every season, and contract-jumping was common. This was a good deal for the players, but the fortunes of the various franchises could fluctuate wildly from season to season.

Negro League clubs were always a big draw at Dexter Park, which has, in 1943, a capacity of about 15,000. While the Bushwicks themselves are a white team, they usually get their best crowds against Negro League opponents, who, as we see, come thru regularly. The fanbase at Dexter Park is mostly white, but black crowds turn out in good numbers to see these games.

View attachment 515453

Black teams playing at major league parks draw quite well -- the Homestead Grays split their home schedule between Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and Griffith Stadium in Washington, and in the latter park they routinely outdraw the Senators on a game-for-game basis. One reason why there is so much opposition to integration from major league owners in 1943 is that rental of parks to Negro League clubs is a significant portion of the revenue for a number of less-prosperous franchises -- and even the Yankees make a good deal of money from the Black Yankees.

The big marquee event of Negro League ball, the East-West All Star Game played every year at Comiskey Park, has drawn 40,000 to 50,000 since the war began.

The Negro Leagues themselves were considered, at the time, the biggest black-owned enterprise in the US. Although several of the franchises were bankrolled by investors who had made their money in the numbers racket -- Abe Manley of the Newark (formerly Brooklyn) Eagles, Gus Greenlee of the Pittsburgh Crawfords, a few others -- the teams themselves tended to be profitable on their own basis. The main difference between the majors and the Negro Leagues on an operational basis is that Negro League contracts didn't use the Reserve Clause, meaning players essentialy became free agents at the end of every season, and contract-jumping was common. This was a good deal for the players, but the fortunes of the various franchises could fluctuate wildly from season to season.

Thank you, Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland