Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_.jpg

("Loookit t'at!" snorts Sally. "You know how many trolley crashes t'eh is innis' town ev'y yeeh? But do t'ey put inna headline "Two Trolleys Op'rated by MEN Crash, et cetehreh, et cetehreh? DO T'EY?" "Yeh," agrees Alice. "Awlat time I was drivin'at truck f'yeh Uncle Frank, why, I neveh had no accidents." "Ezackly!" interjects Sally. "So ya see what I'm sayin!" "An' a lotta t'at time," recalls Alice, "I was drivin' wit' t' lights awff!")

The City Council needs members who are responsible to the electorate rather than to the exegiencies of political manipulation, declared City Fusion Party candidate Gabriel Wechsler today in an interview with the Eagle. "The City Council is the legislative body for a city of 8,000,000 people," the candidate declared. "As such it has greater responsibility than any state legislature. It cannot cavort itself iin the manner we have become used to expect from it. It cannot confine itself to naming streets. It must have independent action around the many problems facing it, such as housing, taxation, health, education, and all of the other city problems. To do this requires that councilmen of experience and integrity be elected, responsible to the electorate." Mr. Wechsler futher declared that he would be proud to serve on the Council alongside fellow Fusionist Mrs. Genevieve Earle of Brooklyn, currently the Council's minority leader.

German occupation authorities have placed nearly all of Denmark under a state of emergency, the newspaper Dagens Nyheter said today, in a new attempt by the Nazis to stamp out all sabotage and unrest. The state of emergency had been lifted by the Germans as an appeasement measure during the Nazi roundup and deportation to Poland of Danish Jews, but is now reported to be back in effect following a wave of resistance to Nazi measures by Danish civilians.

Singer and Brooklyn resident Perry Como writes in with a suggestion for all performers in the borough -- don't throw away old scripts, old musical arrangements, old costumes, used makeup, and other such equipment of the theatre. Instead, box up these materials and donate them to the Army for use in camp shows.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(1).jpg

(And so ended the career of Buskirk, chief clerk of the First Baldheaded Bank and Trust.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(2).jpg

("Heh," hehs Joe. "Hey Ma, you eveh seen a hockey game? Gee, it's swell. Awlese big guys on ice skates, right. goin' back an' foe't' chasin'iss lit'l piece a' rubbeh wit' sticks, an' bumpin' inta each ot'eh, an' evr'y once'n a while t'ey stawrt beat'na tawr outa each ot'eh f'no reason." "Hmph," hmphs Ma, gesturing to the front window. "Oi c'n see thaat aaaahl I waaant joost lookin' out'n th' street!")

The idea of a Major League All Star team touring the war zones of not just the Pacific but also of Europe is not yet dismissed, with reports from Washington indicating that the tour may be returned to the entertainment program for American fighting forces abroad. Senator James M. Mead, recently returned from a tour of the battle fronts, stated yesterday that he believes "altered circumstances" may bring the idea back to the fore. Several generals are reported to be demanding the reinstatement of the project after it was "postponed" by military authorities due to transportation concerns.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(3).jpg

("You vant star and garter?" huffs Grazhdanka Roudenko. "I gif you star and garter!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(9).jpg

("Oh, and if you've got any good ideas for contests, we'll be glad to hear them!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(4).jpg

(OH MY SWIT CHICKEN PIES!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(5).jpg

(What a bunch of amateurs.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(6).jpg

(Wow, can you still get tires for that?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(7).jpg

("Hello Big Boy!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(8).jpg

("WHAT! THEY'RE GIVING HIM BRISKET! I LOVE BRISKET!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_.jpg

Robert Moses teams up with the Army? Never mind the dimout, send him to Europe!

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(1).jpg

I was wondering if anybody was going to ask his opinion.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(2).jpg

"Yeah, Pop, about that..."

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(3).jpg

The Dragon Lady taught him to dance, too.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(4).jpg

Amateur. Everybody knows you're supposed to cut the brake hose too.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(5).jpg

Caniff isn't the only one who can do "movies on paper."

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(6).jpg

Yeah, well, better check to be sure Mrs. Stitch isn't J. Edgar Hoover again in a new disguise.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(7).jpg

You're a Marine, sister. Stand up straight!

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(8).jpg

Awwwwwwwwww.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_16__1943_(9).jpg

DON'T THINK THIS MAKES UP FOR YOUR SLACKER BROTHER!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_.jpg

("A highway t' Queens?" scoffs Joe. "Who wantsta go t'Queens? What'seh t'do in Queens? T'ey should build a road jus' so people c'n go see t' Bushwicks?" "Awlat'ings people need aroun' heeh," puzzles Sally, with a shake of her head, "an'ney wanna waste money on a road t'Queens. I ask ya. T'subway goes t'Queens. T'ez busses go t'Queens. An' who's gotta cawr anyways? Who needs a highway t'Queens?" "Maybe t'ell have t' Woil's Faieh again," suggests Alice. "Nah.," dismisses Sally. "Y'know how much money t'ey lawst onnat? Go t'awlat trouble jus' t'lose moeh?" "I did like t' Parachute Jump, t'ough," comments Joe. "An' -- um -- some'a t' -- um -- 'zibits." "R'membeh whenney was sayin'," continues Alice, "'bout buildin'iss big bawlpawrk out'n Queens? R'membeh whenney haddat big pitcheh of it inna Daily News t'at time? Seats f'ra hunne't t'ousan' people? Wou'nat be sump'n?" Joe and Sally exchange glances and issue a synchronized snicker. "Who's gonna play t'eh?" snorts Sally with a dismissive wave. "Well," grins Joe, "I betta lawt moeh people go an' see t'Bushwicks!")

A series of rent control delegations from Brooklyn visited the regional headquarters of the Office of Price Administration at the Empire State Building yesterday, to plead for "strong enforcement" of the rent freeze going into effect in New York City on November 1st. Organized under the auspices of the Brooklyn Non-Partisan Conference on Legislation in Wartime, said by its chairman, Rev. William H. Melish of Holy Trinity Church to represent the interests of 50,000 Brooklyn tenants and consumers, the delegation promised "full cooperation" with the OPA in the enforcement of the rent freeze order, and presented a petition calling for all rents in the borough to be rolled back to the levels existing as of March 1, 1942 and frozen at that point, instead of March 1, 1943 as stated in the OPA order. The committee also called for the establishment of "six or seven" neighborhood OPA rent enforcement offices in Brooklyn, designed to operate on a similar basis as local rationing boards, with those office staffed by full-time employees and a legal staff with authority to prosecute violations of the rent freeze.

A free-swinging attack by Wendell Willkie on the foreign and domestic policies of the Roosevelt Administration was interpreted in Washington last night as the opening salvo in his bid for the 1944 Republican presidential nomination. The GOP's 1940 candidate is presently the target of criticism from more Republicans than Democrats as he organizes his pre-convention strategy, and has been condemned by hard-line Republicans as "a dangerous internationalist" who has failed to adequately criticize the Roosevelt Administration. But last night in St. Louis, Mr. Willkie appeared to react to that criticism by attacking the President's spending record, portions of his administration's labor record, and its farm policy, and further charged that another term for Mr. Roosevelt would lead to the danger of "entrenched leadership" that becomes "cynical and remote."

Another curfew has been clamed down in Denmark by Nazi occupation authorities after patriot saboteurs blew up nine electric power stations yesterday, leaving the entire Province of St. Jutland without electricity. Meanwhile, the German-controlled STB news agency reported that Norwegian State Police have arrested 11 teachers at Oslo University, and charged them with opposing the Quisling regime. It is also reported in the Swedish press that there is widespread outrage over the execution by the Germans of five hostages, an action taken in reprisal for patriot sabotage that destroyed a German troop train on October 5th, killing two Nazi soldiers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(1).jpg

("Oopen toe shoes, with wintarr coomin' on!" scoffs Ma. "Stoof 'n nonsense!" "Aare ye gett'n a new pair a' caarpet slippers this yearr?" queries Uncle Frank. "Doon't be crude, Francis," snaps Ma.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(2).jpg

(Look, how 'bout we just melt the thing down for shell casings?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(3).jpg

(Football. Horse racing. Isn't there anything else????)

The Football Dodgers open their 1943 home season this afternoon at Ebbets Field, hosting their uptown arch-rivals the New York Giants. The Grid Flock began their campaign losing three straight on the road.

Yankee pitching star Hank Borowy, fresh from winning Game 3 in the World Series, appears at Dexter Park today to lead a Major League All Star team against the Bushwicks.

Paul Robeson, the son of a slave, will star as Othello in the Theatre Guild's production of Shakespeare's tragedy, opening at the Shubert Theatre on Tuesday night. Preliminary engagements of the Margaret Webster-directed play reveal that Robeson's performance will mark him again as one of the outstanding actors of the English-speaking stage.

Joan Blondell, screen favorite, plays the title role in Gypsy Rose Lee's new play "The Naked Genius." The Michael Todd production, directed by George S. Kaufman, opens at the Plymouth Theatre on Thursday following a trial run in Pittsburgh marked by large crowds and backstage tensions.

Betty Grable's suntan wreaked havoc with the cameras in her new all-Technicolor musical for 20th Century Fox, "Sweet Rosie O'Grady." The lighting for the film had been calibrated for Betty's original pale skin tone, but when she reported to the studio after a weekend at the beach, the light meters ran amok, forcing cinematographer Ernest Palmer and director Irving Cummings to summon a makeup man to bleach the sun-kissed glow from Miss Grable's skin. A lemon-juice bath, a milk bath, and a thick coat of pale makeup managed to conceal the tan enough for photography to resume.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(5).jpg

(Of course, Mr. Ryder, the original occupants of this territory would consider ALL OF YOU to be squatters...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(6).jpg

("Pleased to meet you, Mr. Foreign Minister." "What's buzzin', cousin!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(7).jpg

(Don't turn your back on these hillbillies, Scarlet -- remember what happened to Barney Google!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(8).jpg

("Jack Sonata? I can sing that SOB off the stage any day of the week!" -- Frank Sinatra. And "Oblike?" Are all drill instructors tough-but-lovable Cockneys?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(9).jpg

(You know, so many of these criminal plots could be foiled if they'd just put tall concrete walls beside the railroad tracks.)

And the special Sunday supplement continues...

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(4).jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_.jpg

The existence of Page Four is justified whenever we meet a Hero Cabbie.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(1).jpg

"HEY SAL! SAL!" erupts Alice, flourishing the Hill Page. "HOW'DE GET A PITCHEH OF YOU'N ME? LOOKIT! RIGHT T"EH! TOP MIDDLE! T'EZ YOU WIT' T' DRILL AN'NEZ ME LEANIN' ON TOPPA YEH!" "Hmph!" sneers Sally. "Rotten pitcheh. An' b'sides, I cant' stan' S'natra!" "Hey Siddy," inquires Alice. "Lookit!! I don' t'ink he really done justice t'me poit Irish nose. " "Neh," agrees Krause.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(3).jpg
Ah. Well. That's not how I expected this to go.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(5).jpg

"Let's never mention politics again." "Struck down by -- shall we say -- a higher power." Oh, Mr. Gray, let it go. And "Without that Hubbard drag on?" I dunno but maybe we've just seen the first use of the word "drag" in the sense of female-impersonation ever to appear in a comic strip.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(4).jpg

This is where Skeez gets it from.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(6).jpg

Your trouble, Moonshine, is that you don't eat enough bread.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(7).jpg

Yes, but could the Civil Air Patrol beat Ginky the Mouse?

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(8).jpg
What you need, Butchie, is a better hair tonic.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(9).jpg

Today's strip is the single most famous page Milton Caniff will ever draw. The text was read into the Congressional Record, and it was widely reprinted as an inspirational poster. You can't see it in the poor reproduction here, but the final panel shows Terry standing and reflecting on Flip's comments, next to a sign that reads "THIS WAY TO TOKIO -- NEXT STOP U. S. A.!"

Oh, and..

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_17__1943_(2).jpg

Gawdblessya, Gyps.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_.jpg

("HMPH!" hmphs Sally. "Kids t'day! Roonin'a movie f'rev'vybody else. Siddown an' watch t'pitcheh awr geddout!" "Yeh," agrees Alice. She ponders for a long moment as the train rumbles onward. "Hey Sal," she finally begins. "Din'cha tell me oncet ya t'rew a brick t'ru t'screen at Loew's Orrien'l?" "T'at was diff'nt," growls Sally. "T'at was whenna Hoist newsreel come on. T'at was t'make a PERNT." "Oh." "An' bs'ides, it din' hit t'screen," Sally continues. "It bounced off't whatchacawl t'proscenium.You know, t'at t'ing goes arouna stage. " Alice nods and accepts the correction. "Hey, Sal?" "Yeh?" "T'ey letcha back inneh yet?" "Ahhh, who wantsta go t't'at fleapit anyways.")

There will be more butter but less meat and other dairy products this winter, according to estimates released today by the War Food Administration. The report predicts there will, however, be plenty of cereals, chicken, eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables, potatoes, beans and peas, and sufficient food fats and oils to maintain present ration allowances. The supply of canned fruits and vegetables will decline over the first half of 1944 before rebounding in the second half of the year. All in allm the WFA predicts that the civilian diet in 1944 will be about equal to this year, and will in fact be better than any other year, war or peace, except for 1941 and 1942.

Italian civilians in the town of Caiazzo, on the north bank of the Volturno River, have turned on their former German allies in a murderous rage, according to reports received since the U.S. Fifth Army captured the town. American troops were forced to protect German prisoners from vengeance-seeking locals, with Italian women rushing into the streets to break chianti bottles over the heads of the Germans as they were marched thru the streets. The retreating Germans had put the town to the torch as they fled, with American forces joining with civilians to extinguish the fires.

Mayor LaGuardia will confer with high Army and Navy officials on Wednesday at City Hall in an attempt to persuade them to relax the "exaggerated and excessive dimout regulations" now affecting the city. In his weekly radio talk over WNYC, the Mayor announced that conference -- and he did so, contrary to his policy for nearly a year, in the presence of newspaper reporters. The Mayor stated that he invited the press to attend his broadcast "to get an earful" as he reminded them of how right he was when he protested from the beginning that the dimout regulations were needlessly severe, and how wrong the reporters were to criticize him for alleged negilgence in enforcement. At that time, the Mayor argued that a dimout of the Rockaways, Coney Island, the tip of Brooklyn, and the eastern and southern shores of Staten Island would be sufficient to prevent a lighted sky background that might silhouette ships for enemy submarines, and he declared that a study made by the city in conjunction with harbor pilots supported his conclusion.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(2).jpg

(W. C. Fields in Cinecolor? Well, at least his nose will show up.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(3).jpg

("Nora!" erupts Uncle Frank. "Bowling? A moonth ago ye warr in the haaspital! No, indeed, Oi'll naat staand for it!" "Ye won't, won't ye?" snorts Ma, hefting the tweed case containing her Davega ball. "Oi'd like a tintoipe a' ye troi'in' t' staap me! Ye see roit tharr in the ad-vertis-m'nt thaat bowlin's good farr ye. An' oi foind it relaaxin'." "It's that baaahlplayar," huffs Uncle Frank. "Thaaat old baaahlplayar, isn't it?" "Oh, Francis, ye'rr adaarrable when ye'er jealous," chuckles Ma. "Mr. Fitzsimmons'n Oi aar joost good friends." Ma fluffs her hair before the mirror, ensures that her hat is at just the correct rakish angle, and gives Uncle Frank a peck atop his bald spot. "Dooon't wait oop," she chuckles, heading down the stairs. "Booooowlin'," frowns Uncle Frank. "Oi aaaaahsk ye!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(4).jpg

("And if you're on latrine detail, you're exempt as an essential worker!"_

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(5).jpg

(Everybody loves Leo! And if you don't think so, ask him!)

The Football Dodgers haven't yet scored a single point in their first four games, but no one could argue they didn't look good yesterday as they jogged out onto the Ebbets Field gridiron in their new shiny gold pants.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(6).jpg

("Stiletta, who looks sane.." Oh, that's the Jo we remember...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(7).jpg

("In the meantime, Numbo -- ah -- there's just time enough for you to -- ah -- take a shower. A long one, please. With Lifebuoy.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(8).jpg

(Con artists should never work in pairs, there's too many complications.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(9).jpg

(Didn't we already do this story two years ago?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(10).jpg

("Such Crust!" Trix is George Bungle's dog CONFIRMED.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_.jpg

Ahhh, there's nothing to take the edge off crisp fall weather like a nice tropical murder trial.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(1).jpg

WOLF? WHY, DON'T YOU RECOGNIZE GOOD OLD UNCLE BIM?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(2).jpg

Enjoy it while you can, kid.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(3).jpg

Sort of like this whole storyline. Anybody seen Axel lately?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(4).jpg

For those of you yesterday who looked away.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(5).jpg

"All right, I'll give you ten bucks to take the damn thing off my hands."

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(6).jpg

"His head will be plenty red when I get done with him..."

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(7).jpg

Yeah fine, but what's the password?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(8).jpg

Hey, if Walt Wallet can have two foundlings, why not the Plushbottoms?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_18__1943_(9).jpg

Check the back room at the Sugar Bowl.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_.jpg

("Baaaarglars," sniffs Ma. "Petty thieves aan' miscreants!" "Aveneh R," notes Joe. "T'at's down'eh in Marine Pawrk, ain'it?" "We don' staand faaar such things in East Flaatbush," declares Ma. "Indeeeed we do not." "Hey," chuckles Joe, "remembeh coupla' yeehs back, t'em two guys got in a shootout right onna corneh heeh, oveh te'h by Dewes' Deli?" "Ahh," shrugs Ma. "But ye caan't say they was barrrglars, now can ye!")

British four-engined bombers, hundreds strong, resumed their blockbuster raids on Germany last night, with a heavy assault on Hanover, while twin-engined Mosquitoes hit Berlin for the second time in twenty-four hours. Air experts said the new raid probably reduced Hanover, whose importance as a communications center makes it the "Chicago" of northwestern Germany, to a stage of devastation equaling that of Hamburg. Hanover has now been the target of blockbuster raids four times over the past month. Seventeen bombers were lost in the latest attacks and in subsidiary raids on less prominent targets, the London Air Ministry announced.

Sanitation Commissioner William F. Carey acknowledged today that certain Civil Service rules were violated when Sanitation Department men and equipment were used to improve Sanita Hills Lodge. Testifying before Commissioner of Investigations William Herlands today, Commissioner Carey declared that he allowed the work to go on because "the city would greatly benefit from the development of the project." Carey's testimony came just before the hearing this afternoon into charges that Brooklyn Councilman Walter Hart, counsel for the City Council Committee that raised the matter of the Sanita Hills Lodge improvements along with other charges against the LaGuardia Administration, had himself engaged in a conflict of interest by representing the Green Bus Lines in an action taken against that firm by the City over $12,910 in overcharges for the transportation of schoolchildren. Carey, in his testimony, stated that an average of 75 Sanitation Department men had worked over a 16 week period at Sanita Lodge, a rest and vacation home for sanitation workers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(1).jpg

("T'em Frosches," marvels Sally with a shake of her head. "C'n you IMAGINE a fam'ly like t'at? An ol' lady, an'neh own boy, woikin' in a racket like t'at. Soun's like sump'n outa Little Awrf'n Annie." "Yeh," hesitates Alice, fixing her gaze on a toothpaste ad on the opposite wall of the train. "'Magin'at.")

An increasing number of wives of servicemen, unable to live on Army allotments, are among the applicants in recent months at the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities. "If there is any question at all," declared Bureau secertary Frederick Daniels to the Bureau's annual meeting yesterday, "in anyone's mind as to the need for the Brooklyn Bureau, let him look ahead to the next few months when fathers are inducted. There can be no doubt of the social and economic problems that will be precipitated." Under the present law, mothers married to servicemen receive an allotment from the Army of $12 per month for the first child, and $10 per month for each additional child. A bill now before the House of Representatives would raise that allotment to a minimum of $30 per month for the first child and $20 for each additional child.

The Office of Price Administration is cracking down on distributors of "fireproof coal," with OPA agents tracing the origin of the adulterated fuel to a mine in Millerstown, Pennsylvania. A recommendation on Federal action to halt the transportation of the substandard coal is expected to be presented soon to Solid Fuels Administrator Harold Ickes. The coal, which has been widely sold by dealers in Brooklyn, was found by analysis to contain up to 87 percent of its total weight quantities of bone fragments and slate, enough to extinguish any fire to which it was applied. Meanwhile, executives of the Premium Coal Company, Inc. of Brooklyn have been summonsed to appear tomorrow before Magistrate Charles Solomon in an investigation of charges by a borough postman that two tons of the adulterated coal had been delivered by that firm to his home. Premium Coal president Morris Halzburg charges that the coal was sold to him by the Atlantic and Pacific Coal and Oil Company of Coney Island, and the president of that firm, Abraham Ainbinder, has been summonsed as well.

Registration for the new series of gasoline "A" books begins today at neighborhood public schools, and owners of motor vehicles are warned that they must register for the new ration books in the county where their car is registered. The registration slip for the car, bearing the name and address of the owner, must be presented in order to receive the new book.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(2).jpg

("Why by the time they're on their third, they'll just toss it out in the yard to graze!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(3).jpg

(And with the elastic shortage, you BETTER get a fitting!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(4).jpg

(Pssst, Mr. Rickey. There's still an untapped resource filled with top-level talent. There's still time to go out to Dexter Park and watch them play the Bushwicks.)

Yankee manager Joe McCarthy, fresh from his World Series triumph, has a new accolade to add to his trophy case -- he has been appointed Honorary Police Commissioner of his home town of Buffalo, New York. The Yankee skipper was issued an official Buffalo police badge bearing the number 43, denoting the year in which he won his seventh championship since taking over the club in 1931.

If you want to see radio's zaniest audience participation show "Truth or Consequences" any time soon, be prepared to pay up to $10 for the privilege. That's the going rate for the broadcast among the Radio City ticket scalpers. Broadcast pasteboards bear the warning "NOT FOR SALE," but that's widely intepreted as merely a suggestion.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(5).jpg
(Ahhhh, at long last we've got the real Jo back. Hey, maybe the big pirate chief will turn out to be Oakdale!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(6).jpg

(As busy as Eric Blore is in the movies, he still finds time to do guest shots in the comics.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(7).jpg

(Yep, we'll be reading about Mr. Stun on Page Four any day now.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(8).jpg

("Ehh, a little tight in the shoulders, and I don't like the way the pants hang at all.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(9).jpg

(DON'T WORRY FOLKS AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG STILL HAS THREE GOOD FEET!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_.jpg

"Previously on 'Love and Death in the Tropics'..."

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(1).jpg

EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(2).jpg

EVERYBODY"S GOOD. EVERYTHING'S GOOD. I'M GOOD. -- H. Gray.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(3).jpg

"Can't you imagine the sound it made? I bet it went CRACK!"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(4).jpg

Yeah kid, it's not all free coffee.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(5).jpg

"Hey, clam up you guys! That's a FAKE MOUSTACHE!"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(6).jpg

OH MIN!

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(7).jpg

Clearly not a PM reader.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(9).jpg

Poor kid.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_19__1943_(10).jpg

SEE HOW IT ALL TIES TOGETHER?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I forgot to mention the Inflation advertisement. Very topical. Recent events and global recession,
and Jerome Powell with Janet Yellen comments left me scrambling. I have to factor two wars now atop
the Fed and Bank of England antics.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_.jpg

("T'at Babchik t'ing," recalls Joe. "T'at was right neeh heeh." "Indeed," huffs Ma. "A reckless fool, thaat maan. Paraading aroond caaalin' attention to himsaalf. It's no woonder he was, what do they caal it, roobed out." Joe gazes at his mother-in-law for a long moment, and then at his daughter balanced atop a counter stool. "It's a dangehrous line'a bus'ness," he finally exhales, in a slow, measured voice. "Easy f'people t' get --in trouble." "Naaaat if they're caaareful, Joseph," Ma returns, staring her son-in-law straight in the eye. "Yeh," nods Joe after a reflective silence. "I guess.")

Proceedings for the disbarment of former Magistrate Thomas Aurelio, the official but unwanted candidate of both the Democratic and Republican parties for Supreme Court Justice in Manhattan, will begin this afternoon with a hearing in Manhattan Appellate Court. The action, initiated by the Bar Association of the City of New York, would have the effect, if successful, of preventing the former magistrate from serving as a Supreme Court Justice should he win the November 2nd election. It was announced today that in oral testimony this afternoon, attorney Harold R. Medina, counsel for the Bar Association, will argue that the hearings should be open to the public, with the public entitled to know the details concerning the accusation that Aurelio's nomination to the Democratic ticket was engineered by Frank Costello, underworld figure to whom Aurelio has pledged "undying loyalty." That statement, the Bar Association argues, renders Aurelio unfit to be a judge or a lawyer.

Allied bombing fleets destroyed at least 60 more Japanese planes and three ships in surprise attacks on the battered enemy stronghold at Rabaul, New Britain, it was announced yesterday. Other planes heaped new destruction on Japanese bases along the northern shore of New Britain and bombed a troop-laden transport into flaming wreckage off the coast of New Ireland.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(1).jpg

(Always be sure you have the right tool for the job.)

The Office of Price Administration came out today with a belated acknowledgement that there is an abundant supply of sugar bulging in warehouses, by announcing that restaurants, hospitals, and institutions will receive a 25 percent increase in their sugar ration for November and December. But manufacturers of candy and soda will not share in this increase, meaning that civilian supplies of candies and soft drinks will remain scarce,

City Council Majority Leader Joseph T. Sharkey will testify before the Kings County Grand Jury next week as part of the panel's investigation into hoodlumism in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood. Sharkey's summons to testify, following on testimony from Mayor LaGuardia and Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine, has led to speculation that the Grand Jury is interested in Police Department appropriations for the period spanning 1940-1942. The Mayor had promised several years ago that 850 new policemen would be appointed, and it is believed that most or all of those appointments have been made. That being so, the Grand Jury has indicated that it is "puzzled" by the department's inability to cope with the alleged Bedford-Stuyvesant hoodlumism, which culminated recently in the stabbing death of a sailor at the hands of a 14-year-old boy.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(2).jpg

(FINE cats.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(3).jpg

("And here I've already invested all my cash in folding plastic helicopters...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(4).jpg

("Yeh," yehs Sally. "Give it t' Hoiman. He's'n ol' man, a dignified ol' man, an' he won' be takin' no time off t'go onna radio wit' Fred Allen a' nut'n." "Hoiman ainnat ol'," points out Alice. "He's on'y t'oity foeh. Jus' a kid." "An'na couese," continues Sally, "whenney make 'im manageh, why, he won' wanna play no moeh. Ol' man like t'at gotta save 'is enehgy f' t'inkin'. An'nat means t'eh gonna nead some young, snappy-type guy t'play secon' base, an'..." "Hey Sal," interjects Alice. "Didja know Petey's t'oity?" "He ain' nieteh," scoffs Sally. "Look heeh, I c'n prove it." She reaches into her bag, shuffles around, and withdraws a scuffed and dog-eared card bearing a blurry photograph of a young man swinging a bat. "See?" says Sally, handing the card to Alice. "Right heeh. Look onna back." "Peteh Coscarart," reads Alice. "Second Baseman. Brooklyn Dodgehs. Bawrn Es-con-di-do, Califawrn'yeh, June 16, 1916." "See," says Sally. "He's jus' a kid. Right inna bloom'a yout'." "Well, I read," ponders Alice, "t'at he was bawrn in 1913 -- jus' like you! Y'know what? I t'ink he might be finkin' 'bout 'is age, is what I t'ink. Lotta bawlplayehs do t'at." Sally shoots Alice a murderous glare. "Not," she insists, in a deadly tone, "Petey." "Oh," shrugs Alice. "Yeh," huffs Sally, folding her arms and staring straight ahead. "An' gimme back my cawrd!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(6).jpg
(And Classic George is back too!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(7).jpg

(Well, I mean, to be fair, if your name is 'Gimpy' it's not like you'd have a chance as a rising young sales executive...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(8).jpg

(Fish. Barrel.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(9).jpg

("Which robot are we looking for again? Get the mug book.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(10).jpg

(WELL THAT ESCALATED FAST)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_.jpg

About time we got a diagram!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(1).jpg

Ew.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(2).jpg

Well, now. Of all the twists this plot could take, "militant resistance to landlordism" I would not have predicted.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(3).jpg

"Well, you SAY all that. But how can we know you're telling the truth?" "Germano shoulda KILLED Magerkurth!" "All right then. That's good enough for me."

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(4).jpg

Gotta earn your seat, kid.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(5).jpg

"Ha, ha, I've been saving that joke for years!"

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(7).jpg

"And I'm HERE TO MAKE TROUBLE! Oooh, wait, free doughnuts!"

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(8).jpg

WELL AREN'T YOU SMUG.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(9).jpg

If only.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_20__1943_(10).jpg

Never mind, he's only got an A card anyway.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_.jpg

("Jus' anot'eh guy name' Joe who got stuck," reads Joe. "Hah! Well, heehsa guy name' Joe t'at's neveh got stuck!" "Thaaat ye KNOW of," adds Ma. "What?" "Nooothin'.")

Foreign ministers of the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union held their third conference today in Moscow against a backdrop of heightened appeals for the opening of a second front in Europe, and for an agreement to restore and recognize Russia's pre-1941 borders. Although secrecy surrounded these conferences, two versions of their progress spread among Anglo-American circles in the Soviet capital, with the truth lying probably somewhere in between. Those two versions are, (1) the three Foreign Ministers will merely contemplate the fullest possible exchange of views prior to a full conference among President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Premier Stalin, or, (2), the current conference has authority to stand on its own feet and adopt certain political and economic decisions. United States Secretary of State Cordell Hull, British Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden, and Soviet Foreign Commissar V. M. Molotov are believed to all have separate agendas for discussion, with the mutual understanding that no topic is taboo.

Captain Eddie RIckenbacker acknowledged today that "Communism in Russia is not what I was led to believe it was," following a recent trip to the Soviet Union. In a speech last night in Chicago, the World War I flying ace admitted that he had reached inaccurate conclusions based on his perception of "communistic enthusiasts in America and Britain," but upon seeing Russia first hand he returned home with "a great admiration for both the people and the armies." Rickenbacker stressed the importance of Americans reaching "a better understanding with our ally, Russia."

A quarter-million German war criminals, hatchet-men of Hitler's "New Order" in Europe, stand open to indictment by the world today with the formation of an Allied War Criminals Commission, empowered one day to prosecute the case of humanity against them. Retribution against these men, and thousands of equally-guilty Italians and Japanese, was foreshadowed yesterday with the meeting in London of representatives of 17 of the United Nations under the chairmanship of British Lord Chancellor Sir John Simon, in order to begin drafting the legal framework for punishing Axis atrocities. In any civil court, the penalty for such crimes would be death, and commision organizers pledged that one way or another, those guilty will not escape their fate. Whether they are actually brought to the bar of justice remains to be seen, but it was speculated that many of the Axis masterminds will not survive the war, and it is anticipated that Quislings will be, in the words of the Commission, "left to their own countrymen" for disposition. Those likely to face trial, should they survive the war, would not include "petty stool pigeons and triggermen" but rather the leaders of the Axis governments, almost the entire SS officer corps, and the hundreds of regular-Army officers who participated in the suppression of conquered nations. Those who have tallied the growing reports of German torture in the conquered lands estimate that 250,000 war criminals is a conservative figure, with Gestapo men and their spies alone likely to exceeed 500,000.

Disbarment proceedings against former Magistrate Thomas Aurelio are not expected to reach a decision before the November 2nd election. leaving Aurelio on the ballot as the nominee of both the Republican and Democratic parties for a Manhattan Supreme Court judgeship. Aurelio has since been repudiated by both parties due to his relationship with underworld figure Frank Costello, whom the former Magistrate has defended as "a reputable citizen."

Subway riders on the BMT and IRT lines will see a partial lifting of the dimout that has brought gloom to their commutes and left them with eyestrain from efforts to read newspapers in the dark. Beginning this morning at 5, maintenance crews began replacing every other masked bulb in BMT and IRT cars with undimmed bulbs, a move which will increase the light level on each train by approximately 50 percent. Mayor LaGuardia ordered the crews into action after a conference yesterday at City Hall with officers of the Army, Navy, and Coast Guard, and indicated that an announcement on further easing of dimout rules may be expected from officers of the Eastern Defense Command within the next ten days.

Four manufacturers of electrical transcriptions announced today that they have come to terms with union president James C. Petrillo after resolving to his satisfaction questions of royalties over recordings made for radio broadcasting purposes. Lang-Worth Feature Programs of Los Angeles, C. P. McGregor of San Francisco, Standard Radio of Chicago, and the Associated Music Publishers, Inc. may now resume recording with AF of M musicians, joining Decca Records, Inc. in accepting new contract terms. Still at odds with Petrillo in the year-and-a-half-old dispute are the Columbia Broadcasting System and its subsidiary, the Columbia Recording Corporation, the National Broadcasting Company, and the RCA Victor Division of the Radio Corporation of America. Those firms are continuing negotiations toward what a union attorney called "a voluntary agreement with the union."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(1).jpg

(MOVE GRANTS TOMB HERE!)

A 30-year-old woman from Baltimore, Md. has been sentenced to sixty days in the workhouse for "jostling women" in downtown Brooklyn stores. Mrs. Amelia Paligeri was arrested last Saturday by Det. Bertha Pecht of the Pickpocket Squad. Police say Mrs. Paligeri has five prior convictions on jostling charges.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(2).jpg

("I wonneh how ya get t'at way?" ponders Sally. "Whatcha mean?" queries Alice. "Strip teasin'," replies Sally. "You know, like Gypsy Rose Lee." "Ahhhh," dismisses Alice. "T'at ain' nut'n. Ain'chu neveh strip teased f'Joe?" Sally's face reddens. "NO," she erupts. "Neveh?" needles Alice. "Min'ja own business," flushes Sally. "An' anyways, t'at ain' like doin' it in fronna strangehs.Y'know, I read t'em books she wrote, an'ney was pretty good, but she neveh said nut'n 'bout WHY she done it." "Gal's gotta make a livin'," shrugs Alice. "If I was ten yeehs youngeh, why..." Sally closes her eyes and shakes her head. "T'way you tawk!" she sputters. "What would KRAUSE say about t'at?" she huffs. "Not one woid," winks Alice.)

The Eagle Editorialist points out that every black-market crime is the result of collusion between two parties -- the seller and the buyer. "Until we -- you and I -- learn to have no truck with evasions and subterfuges, no system of rationing will ever be devised that truly works," he admits. "Our present system is far from perfect, goodness knows, but every little attempt to evade it helps to break it down. Remember -- it takes TWO to make a black market!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(3).jpg

(No professional announcer drops their script pages on the floor.)

While formal cigarette rationing has not yet occured, it will become difficult to find your favorite brand in the stores soon. The Big Five tobacco firms have been forced this month to place the distribution of their brands on a quota basis, and retailers have followed suit, with most stores halting carton sales of the most popular brands, and imposing limits of one to four packs per customer per sale. By the end of this week, such systems are expected to be effect at nearly all retailers in the metropolitan area.

In Memphis, Tennessee a judge has ruled that women are permitted to wear slacks while working at factory jobs -- but ruled that under a city ordinance banning the wearing in public of clothing of the opposite sex, the slacks must be specifically made for women. Women appearing at work in Memphis wearing men's trousers will be subject to prosecution. Judge R. G. Kinkle, in enforcing that law, noted that there has been "much trouble" in his city lately resulting from "women in men's clothing" engaging in holdups and robberies.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(4).jpg

(Back to Bear Mountain in '44? Eccch.)

Private Kirby Higbe stopped by Ebbets Field yesterday to officially clean out Locker No. 13 for the duration. The newly-inducted fireballer took a few minutes out of his work to watch the Football Dodgers practice, and coach Pete Cawthron was sad to see him leave. "We could use a good pitcher," Cawthorn shrugged.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(5).jpg

(Hey George, use some of that money to buy iodized salt.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(6).jpg

("Itchy McSniff?" Hope there's some of that Lifebuoy left.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(7).jpg

("I've never known anyone like you!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(8).jpg

(So few robots can look good in a wide-brimmed hat.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WAR TO BE OVER SO HE CAN TAKE ON BILLY CONN!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_.jpg

"Partly bald and fortyish." Well, that never stopped anybody.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(1).jpg

"Au revoir, pleasant dreams...."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(3).jpg

"I don't ask, it saves arguments." COME THE REVOLUTION!

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(4).jpg

No business succeeds without a solid marketing plan.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(5).jpg

"Oh, it's you. Never mind."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(6).jpg

"Forget it, gooseface. You don't make STAFF SERGEANT by being a nice guy!"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(7).jpg

"I gotta keep in practice, don't I? I wanna get my job back as Helen Worth after the war, don't I?"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(8).jpg

"KOMMST DU HIER!" Bit familiar, aren't we?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(9).jpg

Isn't anybody going to try to figure out where this kid came from?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_21__1943_(10).jpg

Doesn't it hurt to sit like that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari