Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_.jpg

("Slot machines, policy -- t'eh really crackin' down," sighs Joe. "As they shoould," declares Ma. "It's no business farr old ladies aaan' politicians. Thaat poor sooul down in Cooney Oi'land haad noo ideaar whaat she was doin'." "T'at Magistrate Solomon," chuckles Joe. "He's some egg." "He's a very foine man," agrees Ma. "Not that Oi've -- ah -- met him paarsonal arr noothin'. Noooo indeed, no business farr politicians aaaan' oold ladies...")

Allied warplanes have destroyed between 131 and 203 enemy aircraft in a three-day series of raids on Rabaul, the main Japanese airbase in the Northern Solomon Islands. The victories, revealed today in front reports and a communique from the headquarters of General Douglas MacArthur, were scored at a cost of only five of the hundreds of Allied planes sent into action. A Japanese destroyer and five coastal vessels were added to the enemy toll during the raids, which raged from Friday until Sunday.

Agreement on important issues relating to the conduct of the war, and postwar concerns, has been reached by foreign ministers of the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union as the tripartitie conference continues in Moscow. The cordiality of the meeting was highlighted yesterday by a 55 minute conference between U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull and Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin, the first face to face meeting between the two since Mr. Hull arrived in the Russian capital more than a week ago.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(1).jpg

("It's ya own fault," growls Sally, exiting the headquarters of the 66th Precinct as Alice sulks alongside. "Sluggin' a ration cloik! An' half ya size, yet!" "She ast fawr it," retorts Alice. "She tol' me I was inna wrong line, an' I been wait'n'neah f'haffan'oueh! An' 'nenshe says I ain' eligible cause me name is Dooley wit' a D. An' when I tell'eh I'm pickin' up f' t' Ginsboigs, wit' a G, she gets awl lippy an' sez t'ey gotta come down t'emselfs! Ol' people like t'at should stan' onna line f'haffan'oueh? Not while I'm aroun' t'ey don't!" "Nice'v'm to go ya bail," notes Sally, with a sidelong glance. "Yeh," shrugs Alice, bending down to tie her shoe. "Misteh G was pretty nice about it. He says he's been want'n t'slug a ration cloik for a yeeh'na half now, an' fifty bucks bail is a real bawrgain.")

A special session of the City Council will take place tomorrow morning at 10:30, at which time the Council will consider Mayor LaGuardia's recommendation for the expulsion of Brooklyn Councilman Walter Hart. The session will review charges by Commissioner of Investigations William Herlands that Councilman Hart violated the City Charter by providing legal counsel to a Queens bus company involved in a dispute with the city over alleged rate overcharges. With Hart a member of the Council's Democratic majority, administration forces acknowledged today that they face an uphill battle to bring about his removal, and Hart himself declared that the charges against him will be "completely exploded." Councilman Hart has emerged in recent months as a vocal critic of the LaGuardia administration, and is the leader of a Council committee investigating the administration's activities.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(2).jpg

(There is no movie that Monty Woolley was ever in that was not enlivened by his presence. And is it too early to start the annual Cheapest Thanksgiving Dinner competition?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(9).jpg

(In a prison camp in Moosburg, Germany, Private Michael P. Sweeney gazes at a slice of rough black bread floating in a thin potato soup, and wonders if he should join the escape committee after all.)

The Eagle Editorialist calls attention to the fact that today is the Eagle's 102nd birthday, with the first edition of the paper released on October 26, 1842. There is no need for celebratory remarks, other than to express the hope that "the ensuing years will provide us with as splendidly loyal a group of friends as those this newspaper has known in the past."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(3).jpg

("Of course I'll give the club my full attention," insists Leo. "After all, Fred Allen's off the air! And card playing's out too -- I mean, Higbe's gone in the Army! And the one player I have a problem with? We'll get along fine, as long he realizes I'm the one calling the square dance!")

Radio station WOR begins its television service tonight over station W2XVW with a sports exhibition. At the same time, WOR's frequency-modulation auxiliary begins full commercial operation, with its call sign changing from W71NY to WOR-FM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(4).jpg

("A Guide in the Garden of Love.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(5).jpg

(Run, Patti, run -- this sounds like the setup for a Hitchcock movie.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(6).jpg

(All in a day's work.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(7).jpg

(All part of our personalized friendly service!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(8).jpg

(Young Neil Simon follows this storyline with interest.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_.jpg

Hmph. Nothing to wink back at.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(1).jpg

Doesn't he look like he ought to maybe lay off the coffee?

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(2).jpg

"I mean, what could go wrong?"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(3).jpg

"Hat, trenchcoat, cigarette, wisecracks -- am I hard boiled or what?"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(4).jpg

"After all, we've got to keep vamping along here for a few days until Gray comes up with a new story."

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(5).jpg

Just so we're all clear on that.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(6).jpg

"It's a living."

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(7).jpg

"Why Women Cry."

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(10).jpg

Whatever happened to Burma, anyway?

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_26__1943_(11).jpg

Kayo Mullins, English Major.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Pvt Davis' court martial embroglio for murder and rape caught my eye. I read law though never sat solicitors
so never a silk but his defence was not without mitigation through liquor impairment, yet his subsequent false imprison-rape of Miss 2 rendered entirely moot his homicide defence. His cumulative criminality suffices verdict and gibbet rope with most tragic legacy. London eastie held many war tales told Yank lads gone devil
and mores pity those forgotten American lads felled fighting. Bad apples in all orchard baskets tend sour thought.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_.jpg

("An effet t' arouse int'res' in a losin' team!" huffs Sally. "I ASK YA!I I c'n remembeh whennat game useta drawr twenny-five, t'oity t'ousan' people! An'ney had awl kindsa stuff goin' on -- p'rades, bands playin', clowns mawrchin onna feel, an' right up front, t' Erasmus mascot!" "Wha'ja have?" inquires Alice. "A hawrse? A dancin' beeah?" "Neveh mind," interjects Sally. "Hey, how bout t'is t'ing with Costelleh, huh?" "C'mon," insists Alice. "What'ja have f'ra mascot? A lion cub? A billy goat? Heh, a goat'd be poifec' f' Flatbush!" "Don'be stupid," dismisses Sally. "Now, willya look at t'at? T'at phony count is done fawr..." "C'mon!!" reiterates Alice. "What kinda mascot???" "A rabbit," mutters Sally. "A what???" blurts Alice. "A rabbit," sighs Sally. "A big gray rabbit." "A RABBIT??" snorts Alice. "Yeh," retorts Sally, her dander rising. "A rabbit! A big fat MEAN rabbit! He'd bite ya just as soon as he'd look atcha!" "A rabbit!" snickers Alice. "A RABBIT!" "YOU EVEH BEEN BIT BY A RABBIT???" snaps Sally. "A rabbit!" giggles Alice, with a rabbit-like wrinkling of her Pert Irish Nose. "A rabbit!")

Brooklyn and Long Island appeared hardest-hit today after a gale and driving rain that lashed at this area and the Jersey coast yesterday flooded coastal areas, disrupted railway service, and downed trees and power lines. The roaring winds reached heights of fifty miles per hour according to the Weather Service. While no severe property damage was reported, Brooklyn experienced a great deal of storm-sewer clogging which caused water to back up over curbs and into homes. Three pumping stations with a capacity of 28,000 gallons a minute worked at full blast to keep water flowing in the sewers. An overhead electrical wire at 14th Avenue and 82nd Street plunged 2500 homes in Bensonhurst into darkness between 5 and 7pm. At PS 182 in East New York a downed line caused the power to go out just before 7pm, while the building was crowded with ration-book applicants. In Bath Beach, part of Bay 8th Street feeding the Bay Parkway flooded, forcing about thirty motorists to abandon their cars as waters surged above their fenders. A stalled trolley car at Myrtle Avenue and Washington Street around 1 AM caused a backup of fifteen other cars on the line, leaving early-morning riders to wait over an hour for the restoration of service. One fatality was reported, 62-year-old Michael Donohue of 223 Bush Street, who was struck down by a truck as he attempted to cross Hamilton Avenue at Court Street at the height of the storm.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(2).jpg

("They send this fellow hoom," sighs Ma. "But they keep me boy Michael." "Mickey c'n take caeh'v 'imse'f," affirms Joe. "If t'es one guy t'at neveh stays locked up f'long, it's Mickey." Ma shoots Joe a profoundly wounded look. "Um," murmurs Joe. "Sawrry.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(3).jpg

(Oops.)

"A Brooklyn Grandparent" writes in on behalf of "a family of eight," demanding that the statue of General Grant be moved from Bedford Avenue to Grand Army Plaza "at once." "My Family," declares the Grandparent, "finds this Grant Statue discussion a relief from the war news," and notes that the entire family took a vote at the dinner table, coming down 7-0 in favor of the relocation. The only abstention was a two-year-old grandchild, "who did not appear very much interested in the discussion."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(4).jpg

(You ain't seen nothin' yet.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(5).jpg

("A fine boy," declares Mr. Rickey, his head nodding into a vigorous blur. "An intelligent boy, this Parrott. He describes my intentions precisely." "Why don't you give him a job?" injects Mrs. Rickey, regarding her lemonade glass. "What makes you think, my dear," smirks Mr. Rickey, "that I have not?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(7).jpg

("ISN'T IT GEORGE?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(8).jpg

("He WRITES! That night school must be paying off!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(9).jpg

(Don'cha hate a nosy waiter?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(10).jpg

(A robot in spats. Well 23-skidoo!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(11).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG RECOMMENDS YOU JOIN THE K-9 CORPS. THREE HOTS AND A COT!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_.jpg

SMILE!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(1).jpg

"Now if you're finally done in that bathroom, I REALLY HAVE TO GO!"

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(2).jpg

Proud papa.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(3).jpg

AND WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO DICE GIRLS

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(4).jpg

"I mean, if you got any subs you need sunk..."

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(6).jpg

Movies on paper.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(7).jpg

RUDE

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(8).jpg

You're just a little too enthusiastic about this.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(10).jpg

The Boy From Marketing.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_27__1943_(11).jpg

She didn't learn THAT from Burma. Oh, well, maybe she did...

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Mr Caniff upsets me with Terrence's subtle chaste guise, Gret, a trench available, and that androgynous
irrelevancy frog what's his face. Terrence got ditched by a girl for the stretch-out never ever ever.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_.jpg

("T'ese gangstehs," muses Joe with a rueful shake of his head. "Awrways try'na run t'ings. Why ain' t'ey awl inna Awrmy like t'at Anastasia?" "Shoemakeaar," shrugs Ma, "stick to ye last." "Whassat mean?" inquires Joe. "Means," continues Ma, "that one should stick to th' aaareas whaar one is moost experienced." "Well'en," shrugs Joe, "t'at explains a lot.")

The long and bitter wage dispute between miners and coal operators entered another critical stage today. As the likelihood of another walkout, the fourth in the past six months, approached, the War Labor Board was expected today to refer the current spread of wildcat mine strikes to President Roosevelt for action, paving the way once more for a Government seizure of the mines, essential to the production of steel for war purposes. The action by the WLB will come as the mine situation in seven states continues to deteriorate. In Alabama, where a strike is in its 16th day, a minor back-to-work movement has lost its momentum, with 20,000 miners remaining out of the mines, halting the production of fuel for the state's steel mills.

The commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet declared in a Navy Day speech yesterday that Japan will be beaten "well before 1949." Admiral Chester W. Nimitz indicated in an address before the Honolulu Chamber of Commerce that it is now "crystal clear" that the Allies will win the war, but additional -- possibly heavy -- losses of ships and planes may be anticipated. Adm. Nimitz stated that American amphibious forces will continue to drive westward across the Pacific to seize bases, from which a "pulverizing day and night aerial offensive" against Japan will be mounted. He warned that the "submarine menace in the Pacific" will not end until the war itself is over.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_(1).jpg
(Keep 'em flying!)

The cost of living, spurred by jumps in clothing and food prices, rose four tenths of one percent from August to September, after declining 1.5 percent over the previous three months, according to a report released today by the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics. Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins, in announcing the report, noted that the largest price increases were reported in the area of women's wear, resulting largely from a shortage of lower-priced clothing versus higher-priced garments incorporated into manufacturers' fall lines. She noted that the present price formula used by the Office of Price Administraiton in setting ceilings allows such increases to meet higher costs of manufacturing.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_(2).jpg

("What kinda Halloween izzat?" snorts Sally. "Handin' out split peas? I'm so sicka t'is wawr." "We neveh had no Halloween when I was growin' up inna home," sighs Alice. "T'sistehs said it was sacreligious a' sump'n." "No tricks 'eh treats, huh?" replies Sally. "T'at's sad." "Aw," shrugs Alice, "we didn' get no treats but t'at didn' mean we didn' have no tricks." "What kinda..." begins Sally. "I ain' sayin'," smirks Alice. "But I betcha some'a t'at plumbin' ain' neveh recovehed...")

The Eagle Editorialist notes that regardless of the outcome of the Aurelio trial, the exposure of the political power granted to the likes of Frank Costello can't help but "be damaging to the assorted politicians who comprise the dramatis personae, and to Tammany Hall itself." The EE further notes Costello's own testimony describing his intimacy with such men as Al Capone, Arthur "Dutch Schultz" Fliegenheimer, Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter, Joe Adonis, and others of that type, all of whom Costello regards as "respectable friends." "We feel that most unbiased people," declares the EE, "will expect public men seeking office to know that their principal backers are not racketeers."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_(3).jpg

("Except it doesn't hurt as much.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_.jpg

(Parrott can squawk the Rickey line all he wants, but we won't forget the way El Brancho treated Camilli.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (1).jpg

(George has never done well as a salesman.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (2).jpg

(Lotta this going around lately.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (3).jpg

(Always have a backup plan.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (4).jpg

("I always try to believe at least two unbelieveable things before lunch!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (5).jpg

(SMALL SACRIFICES LEAD TO A BIG PAYOFF)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (1).jpg

Well, that'll sell some papers.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (2).jpg

Page Three today out-Page-Fours Page Four.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (4).jpg

Mr. Gray will soon show us how newspapers should be run, he thinks.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (5).jpg

The dangers of easy credit.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (6).jpg

"Sorry, thought I was Smilin' Jack."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (7).jpg

Funny, she doesn't LOOK Italian.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (8).jpg

"Jon? Jon who??"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (9).jpg

"We've been married for fifteen years and this is the first time you've noticed?"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (11).jpg

C'mon, Moonshine, wouldn't you really be happier in the Army?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_28__1943_ (12).jpg

I don't know where this story is heading, but I wish it wouldn't.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Lonergan isn't heterosexual, widower to a beaten to death New York socialite, rejected by the Yanks because
of sexual preference, and is a RCAF tech enlisted. And the ex-Tommy Atkins who punched him still wears the suit. This a better than a page 3 girl with massive double decker bustline.

And Terrence needs to watch that variable pitch prop.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_.jpg

("Good f'heh!" declares Sally. "Y'know, some'a t'wois' people inna woil' show up at movie t'eatehs. When I fois' got outa school I woiked at t' Patio, y'know, upta enda Midwood Street t'eh, an' you wouldn' B'LEEVE some'a t'charactehs come in'neh." "Oh yeh?" replies Alice. "Like who?" "Well, awright," Sally continues, "you been in'neh, right? Y'know how out'na lobby t'ey got t'at poola wawteh, right? An'nez gol'fish innit, right? Well, t'eh was t'is one guy come inneh an' use'ta try'n STEAL t'gol'fish. He had rubbeh pockets sewed in'nis coat, c'n ya b'lieve it? One'a t'ushehs caught 'im wit' a pocket fulla gol'fish. He said he wasn' gonna eat'm a'nut'n, he jus' liked gol'fish! Don'nat beat awl?" "'Magine 'at," replies Alice, a nervous quaver evident in her voice. "I neveh seen'im up close," continues Sally, "but t'ey said he useta come in'neh a lot wit' t'is goilfrien' he had." "Izzat so?" chokes Alice. "Yeh," replies Sally."T'ey useta say t'look out f't'is big red-headed gal." "Awrf'l," says Alice, shrinking back into her seat.)

Allied land, sea, and air forces massed today for a knockout blow against Japan's remaining bases in the Solomon Islands, after a surprise landing by American and New Zealand troops on the Treasury Islands, only 28 miles southwest of of the enemy's Buin-Faisi strongholds. Confirming reports of the landings broadcast yesterday by the Tokio radio, a communique from the headquarters of Gen. Douglas MacArthur said that Allied troops occupied both Mono and Stirling Islands in the Treasury group on Wednesday, following a heavy night-long bombardment by American warships. The thrust brought American troops within 40 miles of Bougainville Island, last major Japanese position in the Solomons, and 300 miles east of Rabaul, New Britain, the big enemy bastion that has been the primary objective of the twin drive up the Solomons and the northeastern coast of New Guinea.

Briefs containing legal arguments for and against former Magistrate Thomas A. Aurelio, official but repudiated nominee of both the Republican and Democratic Parties for a Supreme Court judgeship representing the Manhattan-Bronx district, were received today by Referee Charles B. Sears as the last word in disbarrment proceedings against Aurelio. Mr. Sears plunged immediately into preparation of his report, which will become the final word on his opinion whether Aurelio was aware of Frank Costello's reputation as an underworld figure when he accepted Costello's aid in securing the Democratic nomination. Former State Senator Thomas I. Sheridan, summing up his arguments as Aurelio's legal counsel before Mr. Sears yesterday, declared that if Aurelio, in fact, did know of of Costello's repuation when he accepted his assistance, he should indeed be disbarred. But he further argued that nothing in the evidence presented during the hearing supports that conclusion.

All lights in subway and elevated trains will be returned to their former brightness by Monday, following Mayor LaGuardia's ruling to suspend the "brownout" which has dimmed the lights in those cars since last year. Paint applied to light bulbs in the trains to reduce their glow will be removed, with about fifty percent of that work now complete. Arrangements will still have to be made, however, to quickly douse the lights in trains in the event of an air raid alert.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(1).jpg

("Collitch boys," snorts Joe. "Wisenheimehs! Back inna pickle woiks we had one'a t'em rah-rah boys was a supehviseh, went ta Lon' Guylan' Univoisity, y'know, neveh shuttup about'it, useta come down f'm t'awfice n' give us a hawrd time. But we d'cided we'd hadda bouta 'nuff'v it an' me an' Solly put 'im in 'is place." "Oi bet ye did," chuckles Ma, glancing over her glasses as she polishes the fountain spouts. "Yeh," enthuses Joe, recalling the glory of the moment. "I had 'im t'come oveh an' look in one'a t'vats, y'know, up on'na catwawk t'eh, an' while I was pernt'n down'neh, Solly come up f'm behin' an' gives 'im t'hip. An' down he goes, right inna brine!" "Joseph!" gapes Ma, in simulated astonishment. "The very ideeear!" "Coese," shrugs Joe, "when he wen' in, I los' me balance too, an' wen' in right afteh'rim. But t'dunkin' I got was woit' t'dunkin' HE got!" "Whaar is he now, Oi wonder?" queries Ma. "Ahhh, las' I hoid he was a flyeh inna Pacific," muses Joe. "I guess he musta grew up a lot. An' whateveh else, y'know, we loin't 'im not t'be afraid'a sawlt wawteh.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(2).jpg

(Yeah that's a hard NO from me. A flat-top only works if you have a long head, which I do not.)

The Eagle Editorialist criticizes Brooklyn Councilwoman Genevieve Earle for her vote to expel fellow Brooklynite Walter Hart from the Council. "Not another one of the idolaters of Mayor LaGuardia," sniffs the EE, "was able to justify such extreme action, four of them merely being recorded as 'not voting.'" The EE declares that he is far more willing to accept the endorsement of Hart by such men as Parks Commissioner Robert Moses and former Presiding Justice of the Appellate Court Edward Lazansky in considering a case "which is obviously shot thru with politics." Mrs. Earle, the EE notes, was the only Council member to vote for Hart's expulsion.

Reader Louise Remson writes in to complain about the growing trend to refer to various parts of Brooklyn as "Flatbush," even if those areas are nowhere within the actual recognized boundaries of Flatbush. To call a house on Homecrest Avenue near the Avenue U Brighton station a "Flatbush landmark," as the Eagle recently did, "arouses the indignation of Flatbush readers," declares Mrs. Remson. "By no stretch of the imagination," she insists, "can any place south of the Kings Highway be called 'Flatbush.'"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(3).jpg

(Well then, smart guy, get her a BETTER Christmas present.)

The four-day rainy spell which ended today may have seemed a record-breaker to many Brooklynites, but it was not. A total of 5.35 inches of rain fell over the past four days, bringing the total precipitation for October to 9.13 inches -- which is just the third-highest amount ever to fall in that month according to Weather Bureau records. The record for an October rainfall was set in the storm of October 8-9, 1903, when "horses drowned in Brooklyn," according to newspaper reports, during a deluge that dropped over 10 inches of rain on the borough over just a thirty-hour period.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(4).jpg

("It just cain't be me. Leo and Ah get along okay -- NOW." Fixed that for ya, Dix.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(5).jpg

(Classic George is back too!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(6).jpg

("That's very kind of you, Miss. While we're waiting, do you -- ah -- have any personal problems you need resolved?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(7).jpg

(LOVE CONQUERS ALL)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(8).jpg

(Scarlet must've been terribly uncomfortable inside that robot, what with everything being all squashed down and all.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(9).jpg

("SOME DAY!" vows Kitty. "SOME DAY THEY'LL ALL BE SORRY!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_.jpg

Well, that's that.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(1).jpg

Click to enlarge, if you can bear it.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(3).jpg

"Truth is, I swear, I was born in 1924. I'm small for my age!"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(4).jpg

"Oh, so sorry ma'am, let me clean....this....upppppppppppppppp"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(5).jpg

"If I can't get any action around here, I know where I CAN."

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(6).jpg

"Not much of a back seat though."

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(8).jpg

This is what you have to do when you can't afford Blue Cross.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(9).jpg

"I knew we shoulda left him in the water."

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(10).jpg

She's gotta do something to forget she was ever married to Bumley.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_29__1943_(11).jpg

Has Carl Ed taken up drinking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80