Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Terrence's Mr Caniff is a master craftsman and occasional devil, though I dare say so innovative, trench and all
but the good lad needs some ''embedded'' frolic as it were. Anything to beat the Hun.

I'm guessing it's Grett Murmer sliding into the trench (wonderful illustration), but how great would it be if it was Hu Shee? I'm more forgiving of Caniff than you are, but if it is one of the lasses we think it is and Terry doesn't, umm, become familiar with her, I'm going to be a bit miffed at Mr. Caniff. He can't keep doing the same thing; it's time for Terry to begin.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 553690
Ew.

The rest of the story.

After the prosecution rested, Eddie entered a plea of guilty to the charge of Murder in the Second Degree and was sentenced to 30 to life. 30 years later he was still trying to vacate his plea of guilty: read the case opinion.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I'm more forgiving of Caniff than you are, but if it is one of the lasses we think it is and Terry doesn't, umm, become familiar with her, I'm going to be a bit miffed at Mr. Caniff. He can't keep doing the same thing; it's time for Terry to begin.
My impression also Fast but even just a relatively platonic peck on the cheek needs doing here.
Mr Caniff dealt this hand and so should play it thru, although coitus interruptuous might reasonably result,
I'm all for the full Monty go for king and country.
Besides, Terrence wouldn't be the first soldier lad to ditch a girl now would he?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_.jpg

("Have ye thought, Joseph," suggests Ma, "about Christmas?" "I try not'ta," sighs Joe. "I t'ought t' wawr was gonna be oveh by Chris'mas, but I guess it ain't." "I mean about a present farr Leonora? Did ye see tharr in the paper, toys aare in sharrt supply." "I dunno," Joe exhales, glancing at his daughter staring with fascination at the page spread out on the counter. "I was t'inkin', t'ough, t'way she's goin' heeh, maybe some books. T'ey awrways got a book sale goin' awn at Namm's, maybe somep'n'neh. A kid not ev'n t'ree, t'ough, what kin'a books y'get I wondeh?" "Ye waant to be caaareful, though, Joseph," warns Ma. "Books aare ahlll well an' good in their place, but...well, Sally spent a lot of toime with books when she was a gaarl, aaaahnd..." "Yeh," nods Joe. "An' what's wrong wit'tat? She toin't out awright." "Oh, indeed," shrugs Ma. "I'm merely saayin' sometoimes a gaarl can be too smart farr her own good." "Nah," disputes Joe, "I don' go'f't'at. Y'gotta have brains t'make it innis woil'. Who knows, maybe Lenoreh be, I dunno, onna City Council someday like t'at Genevieve Oil, eh t'at Rita Casey eh whateveh. Maybe even *mayeh.* Awr, jeez, y'know what, maybe someday she'll be t'fois' gal t'become presd'nt! Whatchat t'inka *t'at," kid? Huh?" "Bo-ro Co-aaaahl" replies Leonora, pointing to the bold headline. "Bo-ro Co-aahl.")

The Chinese reported today that the Japanese had achieved "partial success" in an offensive in western China by blocking invasion routes into Burma along a wide front. A Chungking spokesman said 30,000 Japanese troops had overrun three major routes into Burma from Yunnan Province, taking a 105-mile length of the western bank of the Salween River but failing to force a crossing at any point. Chinese forces were in firm control of the eastern shore, the spokesman said, but had lost three of five ferry landing points on the opposite bank.

A labor draft in New York State would not be necessary if the bridge-playing tea-sipping ladies and the loafing nightclub playboys would go to work. So argued State Secretary of Labor Mrs. Rose Schneiderman today in declaring that the idle rich are the last group in America who are refusing to do their part for the war effort. "All of the women who have ever held jobs or have considered themselves working women and wanted jobs have gone to work," the secretary declared. "What's left are the people -- men and women -- who don't want to work. A good number of the 1,300,000 more women wanted by the War Manpower Commission could come from this group of women. Registration of these women who have never felt the pinch of war, or any other pinch, is something I favor." She added that "there are a lot of men who just don't work because they don't have to, and there are a lot of men whose businesses could get along without them while they pitch into some essential war job."

Wendell Willkie declared today his certainty that Governor Thomas E. Dewey will not seek the Republican Presidential nomination in 1944. Addressing a Republican rally in Syracuse, the GOP's 1940 nominee praised the Governor for bringing a "sound, clean and able" administration to Albany, and declared that it would be "impertinent and presumptuous" to suggest that the Governor might not complete his full term in office.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (1).jpg

("At's tellin' 'em!" grins Sally. "An' she ain' sippin' no tea!" adds Alice.)

Two Manhattan roommates found themselves in court after an early morning brawl in their West 69th Street apartment. Eighteen year old VIrginia Leigh faces assault charges after allegedly slashing her roommate, 17 year old Marilyn Hiller, with a razor blade following an argument over Miss Hiller's refusal to put down her book, turn off the light, and go to sleep. According to police, Miss Hiller refused to comply, at which time Miss Leigh punched her in the jaw. Miss Hiller then seized the razor blade and advanced upon Miss Leigh, who took the blade away from her and sliced her across the arm and shoulder with it. Miss Hiller fled to a friend's apartment at the Hotel Barbizon and from there called an ambulance and the police.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (2).jpg

(SEEN AND NOT HEARD)

A ruling by the War Manpower Commission will permit professional baseball players employed over the winter in defense plants to leave those jobs in order to report to their clubs next spring. The ruling announced today is similar to that governing professional football players this fall, providing in both cases that sports is listed as the player's primary occupation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (3).jpg

(Note the attendance figures at the bottom of the page -- even in a war year, with a sagging and dispirited club, angry and frustrated fans, and the smallest of the city's three ballparks, Brooklyn still leads the major leagues, by far, at the gate. IS ST. LOUIS STILL IN THE LEAGUE?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (4).jpg

("HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SORRY GYPS!" -- Margie Hart.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (5).jpg

("It isn't? WHEN IS????")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (6).jpg

(Oh I wouldn't worry, these days the trains always run late.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (7).jpg

("Incidentally, fat boy, I been thinkin'. I'm doin' all the work here -- remind me again why you're gettin' the bigger cut?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (8).jpg

(The sad thing is, Wilbur's obvious success with microservo technology should mean he has no need to fool around with dopey robots.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG RECEIVES HIS JUST DESSERTS. After all these sandwiches, of course.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_.jpg

The News Chart and Diagram Desk will remain on full alert for the duration of the trial.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (1).jpg

"Y'know a good place t'meet a good fella? Brooklyn Roselan'. Not t'Manhattan one, t'at's awla buncha bums. I'm just sayin'." -- Sally Petrauskas, war worker, Brooklyn

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (2).jpg

DON'T FORGET ME! -- Sandy

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (3).jpg
It Happened One Night...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (4).jpg
It's sound business strategy to cut out the middleman.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (5).jpg
Well, he's kind of a wet handshake, but he's got to be a step up from Bumley Gump.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (6).jpg

And wouldn't you know, they "forgot" their ration books!

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (7).jpg

IT'S NOT EVEN YOUR KID.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (8).jpg
All's well that ends well.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_22__1943_ (9).jpg

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(1).jpg

("Jelly on the raaation now?" protests Uncle Frank. "Now see here, Nora, Oi won't stand faaar this!" "Take it up with the Ooo Pee Ay," shrugs Ma. "Why," Uncle Frank huffs, "thaat's baaarely enoof jelly on thaat tooast to coovar up the baaarned spots." "Tharr's a lotta people be happy," rejoinders Ma, "t'haave that toost, baarned ar' not! Besoides, ye got enoof jelly on ye necktie thaar to coover up ten pieces a' toost!" "THAT'S NOT JELLY!" growls Uncle Frank, fiddling with said tie. "Thaaat's gravy." "All roit then," counters Ma. "It was very foine gravy," offers Uncle Frank, by way of explanation. "It'll coom roit off," interjects Ma, "if ye soak that necktie in gasoline." "Oi don't HAAVE no gasoline," protests Uncle Frank. "Taaaaake it oop," sighs Ma, "with the Ooo Pee Ay....")

The lone Communist on the City Council, Brooklyn Councilman Peter Cacchione, today flayed his fellow councilmen for engaging in "hooliganism and horseplay" instead of focusing on the serious business of wartime city governoment. "The majority of the Council has played nothing but 'politics as usual' on practically every issue that has come up," declared Cacchione. "Its conduct of Council meetings, its hooliganism and horseplay would make it difficult for anyone to know that there's a war going on. They have refused to enact most of the worthwhile legislation introduced by the minority." Cacchione, whose election to the Council in 1941 was one of the surprises of that election, pointed to several such measures he has sponsored during his first term, including resolutions demanding a freeze on rents, reductions in the price of milk and bread, and a ban on racial discrimination. The husky former railroad worker and veteran of World War I has the endorsement of the CIO Greater New York Industrial Union Council, and enjoys considerable support among Negro voters.

Concern over the likelihood of Brooklyn's representation on the City Council dropping from nine members to six was expressed yesterday by Councilman Genivieve Earle, in an address before a meeting of the Junior League of Brooklyn. Mrs. Earle, a Fusionist who serves as the Council's minority leader, declared that Brooklyn "deserves to be penalized' by a loss of two seats given the declining voter registration figures for the borough, and warned that "if we want full representation on the Council, we must go to the polls."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(3).jpg

("There's no one with endurance, like the man who sells insurance....")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(4).jpg

("Two bucks," says Krause the super, pausing to greet Joe as the latter heads upstairs. "Two bucks," he continues, "says he hiehs Durocheh back." "Aw," shrugs Joe, "Sal don' like I should gamble. B'sides, ya t'ink I'm some kinda suckeh? Leo's done fawr." "Two bucks," insists Krause. "Well," mutters Joe, "if ya put it t'at way..." "UH OH!" pipes Leonora, who has witnessed the exchange. "Ummm," decides Joe, decisively withdrawing his hand from his pocket. "On secon' t'ought, I betteh not.")

With the World Series barely in the books, consideration is already being given to the site of next summer's All Star Game. It is the National League's turn to host the contest, and of the eight clubs, only Brooklyn and Pittsburgh have not yet hosted the game. Brooklyn had been awarded the game for 1942, but Larry MacPhail allowed it to be shifted to the Polo Grounds due to that park's greater seating capacity and the allotment of the gate receipts to war charities. If the ban on night ball along the Eastern Seaboard is lifted it is believed Ebbets Field has the inside track on getting next summer's game -- but if it is not, it is expected that it will go instead to Forbes Field under the auspices of the Pirates.

Private Kirby Higbe missed a chance to pitch for the Fort Jackson, S. C. team recently. The Dodger fireballer, still on his induction leave, returned to camp in time for a game between the Reception Center squad and the 101st Infantry team, but the infantrymen protested his use, since a man on leave is not permitted to play in service games.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(5).jpg

("True to Life" is another of those lightweight-but-pleasant Paramount productions to disappear completely from view given the way classic films are distributed in the 21st Century.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(6).jpg

(What's all this now? Cliff Evans going incognito?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(7).jpg

(LET ME DO THE TALKING! "Oh George, you're so funny.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(8).jpg

(WELL THAT WAS ANTICLIMACTIC)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(9).jpg

(I'm really liking Allen Jenkins in this role.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(10).jpg

(A sneak peak at what Shadow Smart will look like in his old age.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(11).jpg

(VIOLENCE IS NEVER THE ANSWER unless it is.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_.jpg
"Willie Bioff, ex-pimp from Chicago's bawdy-house row..."

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(1).jpg

The New England Watch and Ward Society is the entity responsible for "banning in Boston," and they are, as we see here, ever on the job....

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(2).jpg

TEA SIPPING BRIDGE PLAYING LADIES SHOULD ALL BE DRAFTED

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(3).jpg

Better luck next time, hon.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(4).jpg

Whatever happened to "Don't Buy A News -- Borrow One!"

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(5).jpg

"And do your dishes!"

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(6).jpg

"What an angel! Is HEAVEN her address?" WHOA DAD, STRAIGHT OFF THE COB!

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(7).jpg

Wait'll next year.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(9).jpg

"Now all I gotta do is stick up the post office!"

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_23__1943_(10).jpg

Welcome to Adulthood.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_.jpg

("T'at Shawrkey," hisses Sally, as she and Joe spend a crisp Sunday morning sitting on a bench in Satellite Park, watching Leonora bury herself in leaves. "Anot'eh one'a t'em Tammanies. I betcha he's right inna middle'a t'at coal racket, you know t'at? Sitt'n high onna hawg sellin' bones an' rocks t'hones' people. I'd like t'see Cacchione knock'im right onnis b'hind." "Ahhhh," sighs Joe, "Cacchione's been onn'eh two yeehs awready an'nee ain' done it yet. B'sides, ain' Shawrkey a frenna Uncle Frank?" "T'at don' mean nut'n," shrugs Sally, "Uncle Frank's gotta lotta frien's. LEONOREH! DON' PUT T'EM LEAVES IN YA MOUT'!" "I guess t'at's how ya get ahead inna woil," reasons Joe. "Ya gotta have a lotta frens. Like t'at Costelleh, f'rzample. He got frens." "I'm glad we ain' got no frens like t'at," replies Sally. "We got decent frens, not crooks an' racketeehs. Alice Dooley's a loudmout', but she ain' no racketeeh. Krause is a dope, but he ain' no racketeeh. Solly Pincus ain' no racketeeh. T' Ginsboigs ain' no racketeehs. An' Ma an' Uncle Frank. An' even Mickey, oncet t'wawr is oveh. Leonoreh's gonna grow up wit' good influences awla'roun', jus' like I done." "Yeh," sighs Joe. "Jus' like you done.")

The War Labor Board threatened today to refer the strike of 22,000 Alabama coal miners to President Roosevelt for action unless the mines begin reopening tomorrow. It appeared probable that such action would result in renewed Government operation in the mines, with strikers made subject to criminal penalties under the Smith-Connally War Labor Dispute Law if they attempted to block resumption of operations. The international office of the United Mine Workers responded to the threat immediately, by telegraphing a new back-to-work appeal to the strikers, and warning that "any further idleness can only jeopardize" the union's pending wage case. The appeal stressed that resumption of work would be in the best interests of both the war effort and the UMW. But Alabama UMW district president William Mitch stated that the miners, dissatisfied at the failure of their seven month old wage dispute to reach a resolution "have reached a point where they just don't care."

Cordell Hull, aged U S Secretary of State, was reported to be suffering from a mild cold today as the foreign ministers of the United States, Great Britian, and the Soviet Union held the fifth business session of the Three Power conference underway in Moscow. Despite the cold, Secretary Hull, who has attended some of the conference sessions bundled in an overcoat, continued to work this morning with his staff in preparation for the afternoon session. Another session, Hull's health permitting, will be held tomorrow.

A Swedish airline official stated today that there were "indications" that a German fighter plane shot down a Swedish transport aircraft just off the coast of Sweden yesterday, killing 13 of the 15 persons on board. A special commission has been appointed to investigate the attack, and air traffic between Sweden and England has been suspended until safe-conduct guarantees have been received from all belligerents. "I am deeply shocked by this terrible incident," stated a Swedish official to the United Press. In addition to its pilot and crew, the plane carried two Russian women, four Russian children, two Swedes, an Englishman, and an American clergyman. The only survivors were one of the passengers, a Swedish seaman, and the flight engineer.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(1).jpg

(Things are tough all over.)

Mayor LaGuardia and Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine will be criticized in a presentment to be handed up by the Kings County Grand Jury within the next ten days, as the panel wraps up its investigation into allegations of police laxity in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section. Both the Mayor and the Commissioner offered testimony during the probe, ordered by County Judge Louis Goldstien on the basis of complaints made by Brooklyn attorney Norman R. Silver that hoodlumism was rampant in Bedford-Stuyvesant and police, under pressure from the Mayor and Commissioner to "refrain from using their nightsticks," were doing little to stop it.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(2).jpg

(Mr. Schroth takes a bold and fearless stand against those nefarious Manhattanite statuenappers.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(3).jpg

(A beanballing would-be radio comedian racetrack character whose private life is open to criticism. HOW"S THAT FOR COLOR?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(4).jpg

("Of the two, Shakespeare had the better of it." Oh Mr. Pollock.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(6).jpg

("Next to Lorna, I like horses best." Thanks for sharing.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(7).jpg

(Be careful it's a bottle you pull out from under the bed, Mr. Nathan, and not -- ah -- )

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(8).jpg

(It's a wonder Al Capp hasn't sued.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(9).jpg

(And just like that, Fritzi's dreams of a Paris literary salon were dashed. And in the interests of balance, Mr. Hix gives us some choice beefcake.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(10).jpg

(The letter: "Dear Grandma, Bill burned the house down again and we're staying in a stupid trailer camp in Elm City. Can we kill him for the life insurance? Love, Dennie.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_.jpg

Ew.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(8).jpg

"New York's Picture Newspaper."

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(9).jpg

There's a New World Coming. But I *am* a bit disappointed we don't get a review of "The Naked Genius." C'mon, Mr. Chapman, you know you want to.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(1).jpg

I've never been an autograph collector, but I do have a few signed books, including works by Rudy Vallee, Amos 'n' Andy, Elizabeth Hawes, and Gypsy Rose Lee. I think that'd make for an entertaining dinner party.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(2).jpg

"Probably wants to read the comics." Hey Gould, don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(3).jpg

I kinda doubt Spike has too many light-heavyweight bouts in him. And don't worry, Councilman Hart, Butch appears in today's Gumps as a public service.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(4).jpg

I think a lot of people would be happy to win a hamburger. And if you remember Joy she was a pilot given to to many exhibitionist tricks, not all of which were done in a plane.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(5).jpg

Yeah, well, Goofy clearly has no idea how to hang sheets.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(6).jpg

Little late in the season for ice cream, isn't it Walt? And is it just me, or wouldn't it be more fitting if Ginky the Mouse was named "Moussolini?"

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_24__1943_(7).jpg

Awwwwww...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_.jpg

("Willya lookit t'at," snorts Sally, slapping the paper with the back of her hand. "Runnin'a gamblin' jernt inna back'va canny stoeh! I ASK YA!" "Awrf'l," replies Alice, her eyes reddening with the strain of resisting a roll. "It's like t'at awl oveh," Sally continues. "I go downa Schreibstien's t'use t'phone, an' ev'ry time I gotta fight t'ru a line a' bookies jus' t'get inna boot'. LaGwardieh keeps tawkin' 'bout cleanin' up alla tinhoehns, wish he'd do sump'n 'bout t'at!'" "Yeh," returns Alice with a small nod. "I'll tell ya one t'ing," Sally declares. "I'd like t'see any'a t'em charactehs try'na set up in Ma's place! She'd giv'm one onna house, an'nen some!" "Yeh," agrees Alice from behind a fixed grin. "No room f' t'at inneh!")

Allied warplanes destroyed 23 Japanese aircraft in a smashing low-level raid on Wewak, in northeastern New Guinea, and set fire to a large enemy vessel -- possibly an aircraft carrier -- in the northern Solomons, a communique reported today. General MacArthur's headquarters also indicated that Allied bombers and ground forces have effectively broken Japanese resistance around Finschhafen, 375 miles southeast of Wewak, after more than a week of bitter see-saw fighting.

Wendell Willkie charged today that "mismanagement prevails" thruout the Government "because the President is zealous for the accumulation of power and loath to disburse it," and further charged that this attitude may "prolong the war and lose the peace." In an article appearing in the November issue of Reader's Digest, Willkie called for a change in White House tactics, urging that the number of men who report directly to the President be limited, and their authority be clearly defined. Willkie asserts in the article that the Roosevelt Administration has "unnecessarily multiplied the number of agencies, but has failed to coordinate them," creating a situation that can be remedied "only by the President himself."

Signs that agreement has already been reached on some of the key subjects under discussion at the Three Power conference in Moscow were reported today, as the foreign ministers of the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union concluded their first week of discussions. Anglo-American sources reported that the atmosphere remains friendly, and estimated that the tripartate sessions will continue for at least another week.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(1).jpg

(It's a pity that WNYC can't broadcast this live, because it would be more entertaining than any soap opera.)

Mayor LaGuardia promised redress for consumers whose bins are full of fireproof coal, declaring in his weekly radio talk yesterday that inspectors will be sent to the home of any coal purchaser lodging an official complaint. Upon examining the coal, the inspector will, upon receipt of a signed affadavit from the purchaser, summon the seller and demand the removal of the adulterated coal and the payment of restitution. Failure of any dealer to comply will mean the immediate suspension or revocation of their license. Inspectors are also to be sent to all coal yards in the city to examine stocks of coal, and those dealers found to be selling substandard fuel will be ordered to correct that condition or face the revocation of their supply. The Mayor noted that he has authorized the city laboratory to examine coal samples for dealers so that they may ensure that they are receiving a legitimate product from their wholesale suppliers.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(3).jpg

("T'is egg cream tastes funny," insists Joe. "Wheh you gettn'a wawteh?" "Same as I ever get it," shrugs Ma. "Goes thru th' pipe aan into th' caarbonatar an' oota th' fount'n. Give me a sip." Ma samples the proferred glass, and shakes her head. "Tharr's noothin' wrong with thaat, Joseph. Ye read'n too much. Ye think it tastes foony b'cause ye read in the papaar there that oother people think thar waater tastes foony." "Ya t'ink so?" puzzles Joe. "I do," affirms Ma. "Well," shrugs Joe, "I guess t'at's t'at, t'en." Draining his glass, he plops his cap on his head, kisses his daugher, waves to his mother in law, and makes his exit. Ma watches him go, steps to the phone, drops in a nickel, and dials a BUckminster number. "Francis!" she snaps as soon as the line picks up. "Whenna ye goin' to do soomthin' aboot me wataaar!")

Reader Lawrence Dutcher shames the Eagle for its headline the other day boldly announcing that "Two Trolleys Driven By Women" were involved in a crash. "Do you know what the statistics are for accidents involving women drivers in proportion to men drivers?" he demands. "I think you will do your best not to belittle women's efforts." But lest you think that Mr. Dutcher is some kind of feminist, he adds that he favors "editorials to keep women at home when the present emergency is over."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(4).jpg

("Ohhhh yeah, I remembeh you! Din' I meet you downa Ol' Reliable?")

A sixteen year old Queens youth was sent yesterday to Kings County Hospital for psychiatric observation after he admitted to police that he attacked the wife of a patrolman because he had "become enamored of her" after seeing her photograph. Albert Start of College Point was arrested by Detective Thomas Gallagher after half a dozen other youths were questioned about the assault on Mrs. Genevieve Remillard last Friday. Mrs. Remillard, wife of Patrolman Charles Remillard of College Point, was severely beaten at her home by a "tall wiry youth" who had gained entrance to the home by identifying himself as a high-school friend of her son. Upon entry, the youth produced a six inch long honing stone and beat Mrs. Remillard on the head with it. Start was arraigned in Ridgewood District Court before Magistrate Francis Hockert on a charge of felonious assault and is being held without bail. Police said the youth had recently been released from the State Training School for Boys in Warwick N.Y. after serving a sentence for burglary.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(5).jpg

(For that matter, why can't we have live broadcasts of Mr. Rickey's press conferences?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(6).jpg

("You mean you'd sell your own uncle to that flighty woman?" Oh, Jo, how we've missed you.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(7).jpg

("I mean -- who's to know?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(8).jpg

(It's good to enjoy your job.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(9).jpg

(That hat would look better if you pushed it back off the face just a -- liiiiiiitle bit.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(10).jpg

(KITTY HAS HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR DRAMA)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_.jpg

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(1).jpg

OR HERE.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(2).jpg

"At least she can read." Ah, our old friend DICK Tracy.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(3).jpg

Actually, those are just holes in the roof, but it's a nice thought.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(4).jpg

"RAAWWWWRRRRRRRR!" "Stop it, kid." "Sorry."

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(5).jpg

Stop grinning, knobhead, you think you're getting a percentage?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(6).jpg

At least she stopped saying "Indeed!"

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(8).jpg

Yeah, but did Taffy Tucker ever get her memory back?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(9).jpg

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET KIDS READ THE FUNNIES

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_25__1943_(10).jpg

I have lived in neighborhoods like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80