Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_.jpg

Horrific.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(1).jpg

("And it's NEVER WATERED! The Chow Mein though? Don't ask.")

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(2).jpg

Wait, I thought Weber and Fields were dead.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(3).jpg

And Mr. Yollman lives every actor's dream.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(4).jpg

"That oughta hold the little ba....."

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(5).jpg

War Is Hell.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(6).jpg
Well, I mean, whose egg WAS it?

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(7).jpg

Snap it up kid, we can't hold up the war for you.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(8).jpg

She's better off where she is.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(9).jpg

"I wonder why he kept calling me 'Lillums.'"

This is worse than the paving scandal, but since the cops aren't one very powerful man, maybe we'll see some justice done. That said, after Flynn got off, my confidence in 1942 justice is way down.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(1).jpg

(Yes the columnists and the critics are going to miss Barrymore, but cheer up -- you've still got Errol Flynn.)

"Mrs. Miniver - " one of the best WWII propaganda films made - is about to premiere as the cast of "Casablanca" comes together; it's quite an amazing year for movies. "Random Harvest" is no slouch either.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_.jpg

Horrific.

You wish they'd just take their own lives.

There's a sad irony to Myrna Loy, hung with the title "The Perfect Wife" because of her role in "The Thin Man" series, getting a divorce.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_2__1942_(4).jpg

"That oughta hold the little ba....."

Pat really enjoys his work. That said, his little stunt at the end was stupid as he alerted the Japanese that an American had boarded the ship.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_.jpg

(A parimutuel-ticket forger is dropped behind enemy lines on a daring mission to disrupt the race tracks of Vichy France. It practically writes itself.)

Four bullets cut down a notorious pro-Nazi French newspaper editor last night on a dark Paris street, and the Vichy government is vowing "speedy, unappealable death sentences" if the assassin is caught. Paris police stated that "Communists or terrorists" were responsible for the death of Albert Clement, editor of the Cri du Peuple, organ of the French People's (Fascist) Party. According to reports, a man stepped out of the shadows as Clement and his wife walked along the Rue Vivienne, fired five times, and escaped on a bicycle. The fifth shot struck Mme. Clement, wounding her in the leg.

The implementation of every-other-day milk deliveries in New York City has been delayed by order of the War Production Board, pending resolution of a dispute between the city's milk distributors and the Milk Drivers' Union. Union officials contend the plan would result in the dismissal of approximately 5000 of the 14,000 milkmen and maintenance workers currently employed by the more than 100 companies represented by the New York-New Jersey Metropolitan Milk Industry War Conservation Committee. The WPB granted the "indefinite" delay following an appeal by Mayor LaGuardia to permit daily deliveries to continue while the dispute is negotiated.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_.jpg

("Leisheh!" snorts Sally, as she scrubs her Red Cross uniform, Joe's overalls, and a stack of diapers against the washboard.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(1).jpg

(Sorry, Abbott & Costello fans, but the 1929 "Rio Rita," with Wheeler & Woolsey, was a much better show. That's the trouble with Hollywood these days, too many remakes.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(2).jpg

(But don't turn your lights OFF. Please don't turn your lights OFF. Remember. Don't turn your lights OFF.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(5).jpg

(Oh Mr. Henderrrrrsonnnnnn....!)

Reader Hyacinth Ringrose writes in to declare that it's the duty of every woman to join the Armed Forces. Not the WAAC, which is a nice idea, but "as useful from a military point of view as the Rotary Club or a bridge party," but the real Army, Navy, and Marines. "It is a superstition long exposed that women are too weak and delicate for army service. A little blonde stenographer would find it as easy to operate a machine gun as a typewriter."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(6).jpg

(Phelps is outhitting Reiser??? STILL??? Hey Leo, made any airplane trips lately?)

The Black Yankees, who split a doubleheader with the Homestead Grays at Yankee Stadium two weeks ago, will play two at Erasmus Field on Sunday against the Bay Parkways. The Black Yanks are stocked this year with several fine Negro players from the West who are making their first Eastern swing, including first baseman Eldridge Mayweather, second baseman Rich Esay, shortstop Harry Williams, and third baseman James Ford.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(7).jpg

("Sorry sir, this is a matinee. All we've got is small change.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(8).jpg

("They're blowout proof too! The jelly seals any leaks right up!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(9).jpg

(Point of order: when we first met John, he was a struggling young lawyer who hung out in cheap diners. And now there's money? "Uh, Governor, there's a Mr. Amen on the phone...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(10).jpg

(Didn't they put a gag on her?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_.jpg

"Look, why don't I just dig up the bricks, OK?"

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(1).jpg

And at Leon & Eddie's a moment of silence. But only a moment, he'd have wanted it that way.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(2).jpg

Good thing for Mr. Gray that ink isn't rationed.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(3).jpg

You'd think, after being mixed up with this bunch for nine years now, that Mama would be used to it.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(4).jpg

And he doesn't even need a cape.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(5).jpg

And THIS is why you never engage with critics.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(6).jpg

"By the time he's old enough to go to work for Papa's firm, he's got to be rock-tough!"

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(7).jpg
Nina's ready to enlist.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(8).jpg

I suspect there are actually a lot of enterprises that operate this way.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(9).jpg

That's it, Shad. Bide your time.

The implementation of every-other-day milk deliveries in New York City has been delayed by order of the War Production Board, pending resolution of a dispute between the city's milk distributors and the Milk Drivers' Union. Union officials contend the plan would result in the dismissal of approximately 5000 of the 14,000 milkmen and maintenance workers currently employed by the more than 100 companies represented by the New York-New Jersey Metropolitan Milk Industry War Conservation Committee. The WPB granted the "indefinite" delay following an appeal by Mayor LaGuardia to permit daily deliveries to continue while the dispute is negotiated.

Everything has unintended consequences.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_.jpg

("Leisheh!" snorts Sally, as she scrubs her Red Cross uniform, Joe's overalls, and a stack of diapers against the washboard.)

"I thought about volunteering, but having clandestine daytime assignations with a sleazy bandleader, a story that, when it breaks, will destroy my full-of-himself brother's career, was more appealing." - Babs Blackston

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(2).jpg

(But don't turn your lights OFF. Please don't turn your lights OFF. Remember. Don't turn your lights OFF.)

Today, though, our power companies send out emails all the time informing us how to use less power.

A young Tennessee Williams looks at the image of the woman putting a shade over the light and thinks to himself, "there might be a character idea in there about, oh say, an aging woman avoiding light as a metaphor for avoiding the realities of her lost youth, hmmm."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_.jpg

"Look, why don't I just dig up the bricks, OK?"

But whom would he get to do the digging?

I know nothing will come of it, but I'm glad someone is trying.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(2).jpg

Good thing for Mr. Gray that ink isn't rationed.

If they do start rationing ink, Gray could borrow some from Caniff, as he should have extra as he often decides not to draw in any background.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_3__1942_(7).jpg

Nina's ready to enlist.

If the choice is between farm work and the military, point me to the nearest recruitment office.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_.jpg

(Amen in court? And Major O'Dwyer laughed and laughed...)

A special communique from the office of General Douglas MacArthur stated today that a United Nations submarine sunk two heavily-loaded Japanese supply ships and a transport, and had damaged a fourth vessel of 7000 tons. All troops aboard the transport were reported to be "probably lost." The enemy losses were announced following disclosure that Japanese submarines, opening warfare on vital Allied supply lines to America, had sunk one Allied ship and attacked two others, one of which escaped without damage.

Chinese defenders were reported tonight to have killed 2000 Japanese troops at the approaches to the vital Allied airbase of Chuhsien, while 45 miles to the west, a Chinese counterattack is "directly threatening" the Japanese-held city of Kinhwa. Meanwhile, Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek is conferring today in Chungking with three high American military officers.

British armored forces have hurled back Axis units from a strong point in the Knightsbridge battle area and have repulsed an enemy thrust along the southern salient of their main Libyan desert line, it was reported today in a Middle East heaquarters communique. Nazi forces under the command of Gen. Erwin Rommel were reported to be "battling desperately" under heavy Allied pressure, with the combined British and Free French forces "keeping the initiative."

All illuminated advertising signs in Nassau County will be extinguished for the duration of the war, under orders issued today by Col. Edward C. O. Thomas, director of Nassau County Civilian Protection. The order, taking effect immediately, also imposes strict new regulations on interior illumination of shops and stores in order to minimize sky-glow along the south shore of Long Island. Under the regulations, all lights must be shaded so that they are invisible past one mile from the shoreline. Automobiles parked or moving along routes where they would be visible from the sea must extinguish their bright headlights. Enforcement will be the responsibility of police, auxiliary police, and air raid wardens.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_.jpg

(No windshield stickers yet, but it's not a bad idea.)

A Borough Park man will serve 10 to 20 years in Sing Sing Prison for his role in the wounding of a Flatbush police lieutenant. Twenty-five-year old Dominick Mundo was convicted along with Patsy Guariglia on assault charges stemming from the shooting of Lt. Frederick Gloss of the Snyder Avenue precinct, and in imposing sentence Judge Samuel J. Leibowitz warned Mundo that he will serve the full twenty years unless he reveals what Leibowitz believes that he knows about the murder of Patrolman Leon Fox, who was shot to death outside a Coney Island movie theatre on February 15, 1941. "I believe that you know who killed Patrolman Fox," declared the judge, "and I have a strong belief that you were one of the killers."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(1).jpg

(I. G. Farben? Never heard of them. And besides, um, we never heard of them.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(2).jpg

(You know, if you grind up a box of Kix, you can put it in your coffee, and it's almost like sugar. Seriously. Try it!)

More than 8000 commuters aboard the Montauk and Atlantic divisions of the Long Island Railroad were delayed more than an hour last night when an Eastbound express, the 5:07 out of Pennsylvania Station, struck a stalled dump truck at Rosedale. The driver of the truck, Luigi Borelli of Jamaica, leaped to safety just in time, with his three-year-old son in his arms. The wreckage of the truck was dragged 300 yards, tearing up the third rail and damaging three cars of the train. The accident backed up twenty trains from Valley Stream eastward to Patchogue in a solid line along the tracks. Power was shut off along the Atlantic line while the wreckage was cleared.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(4).jpg

(Aren't you a little young for a staff sergeant, son? Where'd you GET that uniform?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(5).jpg

(Parrott can look forward to a phone call from Laughing Larry tonight. Probably at 2 AM, and only every third word will be coherent. Oh, and PASSEAU IS COMING. WEAR YOUR HELMETS, BOYS!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(6).jpg

(Shooting a theatre usher is bad enough, but must you be so casual about it?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(7).jpg

(And wait'll you taste it with a little lox!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(8).jpg

(We'll see ya on Page Four!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(9).jpg

(THOSE DIRECTIONS CONFUSE ME! I'M COUNTING TO *FIVE*!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_.jpg

Oh, Madeline. We just can't let you go.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(1).jpg

So yeah, probably not a good idea to think about moving to the West Coast just now.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(2).jpg

"We'll be fine. We blew up the mine. There can only be one, right?"

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(3).jpg

Well, three more then.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(4).jpg

Point of order -- no actor I have ever known has ever said "the dramatic critic is right!""

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(5).jpg

You'd think by now people would know better than to go to any Gump parties.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(6).jpg

Yes, they do usually give you a haircut when you join the Army.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(7).jpg

"And you wouldn't believe the stuff that goes on in Red Hook!"

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(8).jpg

It's always good to have an "in."

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(9).jpg

C'mon, at least he tried.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_.jpg

(Amen in court? And Major O'Dwyer laughed and laughed...)

Let's see, Paulette Goddard and Charlie Chaplin married in Canton China in 1936 and are getting a Mexican divorce now. There has to be more than one joke in there and several comicstrip-storyline riffs.

Morgenthau's deduction of income tax from each paycheck plan is brilliant if you like big government or evil genius if you're a small-government type as there is no way taxes would be as high as they are today if people where hit with the entire bill to pay after the tax year ended.

More than 8000 commuters aboard the Montauk and Atlantic divisions of the Long Island Railroad were delayed more than an hour last night when an Eastbound express, the 5:07 out of Pennsylvania Station, struck a stalled dump truck at Rosedale. The driver of the truck, Luigi Borelli of Jamaica, leaped to safety just in time, with his three-year-old son in his arms. The wreckage of the truck was dragged 300 yards, tearing up the third rail and damaging three cars of the train. The accident backed up twenty trains from Valley Stream eastward to Patchogue in a solid line along the tracks. Power was shut off along the Atlantic line while the wreckage was cleared.

There were third rails on exposed railroad tracks? I'm surprised we haven't read about more people dying when they walked across the tracks. I thought they did overhead wires for exposed rail lines like that.

"It's boring being stuck sitting with the train at a dead stop"
"Hey, Joe, look out the window in that direction. You see something funny between the trees?"
"Where, I don't see anything? Whoa, I don't think those people have any clothes on. Where is that?"
"Valley Stream State Park."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(5).jpg

(Parrott can look forward to a phone call from Laughing Larry tonight. Probably at 2 AM, and only every third word will be coherent. Oh, and PASSEAU IS COMING. WEAR YOUR HELMETS, BOYS!)

Parrott had to know what he was in for when he penned today's column. But how bout this tidbit: "...I ghosted a piece under his [MacPhail's] name." Who'd a thunk that? They obviously have a complicated relationship.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(6).jpg

(Shooting a theatre usher is bad enough, but must you be so casual about it?)

With TV coming, that's one way to rid the world of surplus ushers. Just kidding.

Scarlett might have solved Harry's potential problem with the police, but the gangsters are not going to be pleased with him when he doesn't have their money.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(9).jpg

(THOSE DIRECTIONS CONFUSE ME! I'M COUNTING TO *FIVE*!)

"Plus, I'm speeding up the count because of your ugly suit."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_.jpg

Oh, Madeline. We just can't let you go.

Heck, had her life taken a different turn here and there, instead of facing life in prison, Madeline could possibly have been Miss Ammunition.

I'm struggling a bit with the woman draftee who thought she was a he until now.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(4).jpg

Point of order -- no actor I have ever known has ever said "the dramatic critic is right!""

What about when the actor or actress gets good reviews?

"You know, I've said some bad things about that critic in the past, but he's getting better as he's right on the money this time."

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_4__1942_(8).jpg

It's always good to have an "in."

We've noted it before, but this could easily be the comicstrip version of the movie "Larceny, Inc."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mr. Parrott's 1976 book "The Lords of Baseball" is one of the most extraordinary documents ever written about the behind-the-scenes aspects of the game during the mid-20th Century. Our boy spares absolutely nothing, and he was in a position over his long career as a writer and, later, as a club executive, to have a great deal not to spare. Highly recommended reading.

Mr. Parrott's 1976 book "The Lords of Baseball" is one of the most extraordinary documents ever written about the behind-the-scenes aspects of the game during the mid-20th Century. Our boy spares absolutely nothing, and he was in a position over his long career as a writer and, later, as a club executive, to have a great deal not to spare. Highly recommended reading.

A used "very good" condition copy for $6.03 is now on its way. Thank you for the tip.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_.jpg

(Hmmmmm. Could Barbara Taylor and Babs Blackston somehow be -- connected? WELL COULD THEY????)

The ever-expanding Brooklyn Navy Yard officially overflowed into Queens yesterday when the colors were raised over the former William Bradley and Son plant in Long Island City, recently taken over by the U. S. Navy. Welders, electricians, and machinists are now fabricating parts for new naval vessels in the new plant where formerly stone and marble were cut. The formal commissioning of the newly-acquired building occurred at noon, when Navy Yard commandant Rear Adm. Edward J. Marquart officiated at the hoisting of the American flag over the structure.

New York City schools will be required to keep a complete record of the air raid test signals sent out by the police department on a twice-a-day basis. Deputy Superintendant of Schools Dr. John E. Wade issued the order to log the tests in order to ensure that all schools are receiving the signals properly. Dr. Wade's order further stated that in the event of a preliminary air raid alert, children are to be kept in shelter areas in fireproof and semi-fireproof school buildings, unless these shelters are congested. Should that occur, children living within a five-minute walk of their schools will be escorted home by teachers, and if after this shelters are still congested, some students will be taken to "the next safest areas" of the school buildings. In non-fireproof buildings, students living within five minutes of school will be escorted home by teachers, with the remaining students to be taken to alternate shelters near the schools or the safest available areas within the schools. In the event of warnings that an attack is imminent, children are to be kept in the safest possible area of the school buildings, and are not to be allowed out.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_.jpg

(Besides, if the milk does spoil, imagine all that fine Sheffield cottage cheese!)

President Roosevelt is expected to decide within days whether gasoline rationing should be extended to all states, taking over the decision after a group of about 100 Congressmen against the idea of rationing in states where, they say, gasoline is plentiful. Director Archibald MacLeish of the Office of Facts and Figures stated today that the President will issue his recommendation after a thorough review of the gasoline and rubber situation and conferences with "all high officials involved."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(1).jpg

(What, no booklet offer on "How To Have Something To Hang Your Bustle On?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(3).jpg

(You KNOW Brady wouldn't go along with this!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(2).jpg

(Well said.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(4).jpg

(The 1934 World Series incident, where Medwick slid in rough against Tiger third baseman Marv Owen, saw Ducky thrown out of the game by Commissioner Landis himself, the first and only time in baseball history that a Commissioner directly intervened to remove a player from a game for his own safety. Medwick later wondered why the fans brought all that garbage they threw to the ballgame in the first place.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(5).jpg

("Well, let's see what develops.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(6).jpg

(A "catatorium????" SIGN ME UP!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(7).jpg

(WEAR THE OUTFIT! WEAR THE OUTFIT! WEAR THE OUTFIT!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(8).jpg

(Dan's so good, he can snap on the cuffs ONE HANDED.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_.jpg

Aw, c'mon, Butch, what's a little gin rummy between friends?

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(1).jpg

Actually, it seems to me that the microfilm photographer has had a few. At least.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(2).jpg

Get a little closer, they can't see you yet.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(3).jpg

Well, it *does* say "Pirates," right up in the title.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(4).jpg

Wait'll you get drafted!

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(5).jpg

G'wan, gooseface! Make him disappear!

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(6).jpg

Whattya say NOW, Mr. Critic!

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(8).jpg

Keep your hands to yourself, Bounce, or they'll never let you in.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(9).jpg

Vintage phrases that have disappeared: "Put the bee on...""

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(10).jpg

"Are you gonna do that all night? Because I've got work to do!"

The ever-expanding Brooklyn Navy Yard officially overflowed into Queens yesterday when the colors were raised over the former William Bradley and Son plant in Long Island City, recently taken over by the U. S. Navy. Welders, electricians, and machinists are now fabricating parts for new naval vessels in the new plant where formerly stone and marble were cut. The formal commissioning of the newly-acquired building occurred at noon, when Navy Yard commandant Rear Adm. Edward J. Marquart officiated at the hoisting of the American flag over the structure.

Today, there are still marble- and stone-cutting companies in Long Island City. LIC was also in the news in recent years as Amazon had an initial agreement with the City to build a large "campus" there, which would've brought in many jobs, but it was block by political opposition arguing it would hurt the existing community by making it less affordable.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_.jpg

(Besides, if the milk does spoil, imagine all that fine Sheffield cottage cheese!)

Sheffield makes a compelling argument, but of course, it's just one side. I assume we'll see the union's response in the paper in a few days.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(4).jpg

(The 1934 World Series incident, where Medwick slid in rough against Tiger third baseman Marv Owen, saw Ducky thrown out of the game by Commissioner Landis himself, the first and only time in baseball history that a Commissioner directly intervened to remove a player from a game for his own safety. Medwick later wondered why the fans brought all that garbage they threw to the ballgame in the first place.)

In the "you learn something new about 1942 every day" category, apparently, the Belmont Stakes was run on a Friday back in the 1940s.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(5).jpg

("Well, let's see what develops.")

You think they're angry now, wait till the crooks discover the money is missing - thank you for that Scarlett.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(7).jpg

(WEAR THE OUTFIT! WEAR THE OUTFIT! WEAR THE OUTFIT!)

Please, please, please, please, please, pretty please!

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_.jpg
And in the Daily News...

Aw, c'mon, Butch, what's a little gin rummy between friends?

I did not expect 125 out of the 137 total players to be women. Wow. I guess that's the customer base for bridge and gin rummy.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(6).jpg

Whattya say NOW, Mr. Critic!

And that's how another drama critic became convinced he could be a producer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And I hadn't noticed till now, but there's officially a new artist on "Mary Worth." Please welcome Ken Ernst, whose Mary is decidedly more crabbed-looking than Dale's was. THESE PEOPLE BETTER WATCH OUT, THE OLD LADY'S HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH.

And I hadn't noticed till now, but there's officially a new artist on "Mary Worth." Please welcome Ken Ernst, whose Mary is decidedly more crabbed-looking than Dale's was. THESE PEOPLE BETTER WATCH OUT, THE OLD LADY'S HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH.
You were all over that change the minute it popped up. Leona is meaningfully different looking.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jun_6__1942_.jpg

(DON'T mess with Mr. Amen!)

Citing the danger of an enemy attack on New York City, the chairman of the Greater New York Civilian Defense Volunteer Office has called for the enlistment of 14,000 new volunteers in the various civilian protective agencies. Chairman James G. Blaine told a press conference at City Hall that the week of June 8th has been designated Civilian Defense Week, with all agencies making a renewed push for new enrollments, culminating on June 13th with "one of the largest demonstrations of civilian war strength ever staged in the world." "The job of volunteering is not a favor to the city," stressed Mr. Blaine, " but the duty and responsibility of each citizen."

In Chattanooga, Tennessee, the first American to be convicted of sedition in the present war faces a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison and a fine of $40,000. George W. Christians, leader of the Crusader White Shirts, was found guilty of two counts of attempting to foment rebellion and mutiny in the armed forces, and two of trying to discourage enlistment in the armed forces. A motion for a new trial will be heard on Monday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_.jpg

("It's so delightfully Victorian. Here, let me show you my service revolver.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(1).jpg

(WARNING: NOT TO BE WORN ON SURF AVENUE BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9AM and 11 PM.)

The widow of the late Murder For Money Gang figure Abe "Kid Twist" Reles has legally changed her name, and the names of her children, "in order to escape the disdain, contempt, and scorn" of the name of Reles. Mrs. Rose Reles and her two children Bernard and Marilyn will now be known by the name "Korsh," after an aunt and uncle with whom Mrs. Reles had lived as a child. Abe Reles died last year after falling from a window of the Half Moon Hotel at Coney Island, while in protective police custody.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(2).jpg

(And the book is pretty good too.)

The Eagle Editorialist acknowledges that, if there's useful salvage to be gained by tearing down the old Japanese Pavilion left over from the World's Fair out at Flushing Meadow Park, that might be one thing -- but to demolish the building simply out of anger at Japan is a bit silly, like banning the music of Beethoven during the First World War. It might even be a good thing to leave it standing -- allowing this "monument to peace" remain as a reminder of the treachery of Japan, especially after the war when we are presented with the "inevitable Japanese cries for mercy and protestations of repentance."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(3).jpg

("And from certain angles, doesn't he look just like Mr. Churchill?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(5).jpg

(Don't worry, Mickey -- they're going to forget all about that passed ball. In fact, I bet when you die, oh, 70-odd years from now, they won't even mention it in your obituary. There now, doesn't that make you feel better?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(6).jpg
(That's fine, Scarlett. Stand there, taking it all in with a disapproving frown. That'll help.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(7).jpg

(Hey, weird little guy in panel 1, WHAT ARE YOU STARING AT???)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(8).jpg

(Hey, you know, it's a true fact that bandleaders' marriages are no less stable than any others. Isn't that reassuring?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(9).jpg

("Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. Get some iodine!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_.jpg

Eventually there'll be a day with no Madeline, but that day is not today.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(1).jpg

So there.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(2).jpg

Nah, look at those feet. Strictly 4-F.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(3).jpg

Well, they were gonna blow it up anyway....

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(4).jpg

Mr. Amard is going to be INSUFFERABLE from now on.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(5).jpg

"Now cut that out!"

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(6).jpg

"Oh he WOULDN'T!"

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(7).jpg

Wait, Nina has a pay phone in the shed? Wow, her dad's strict.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(8).jpg

Another Vintage Phrase we don't hear any more: "palmy days."

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(9).jpg

"Oh, father! Pinball machines!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(2).jpg

(And the book is pretty good too.)

Kudos to Cohn for calling a classic a classic right out of the shoot. You are right, the book is good, but from memory (read it years ago), the movie is as good or better, which is rare.

The Eagle Editorialist acknowledges that, if there's useful salvage to be gained by tearing down the old Japanese Pavilion left over from the World's Fair out at Flushing Meadow Park, that might be one thing -- but to demolish the building simply out of anger at Japan is a bit silly, like banning the music of Beethoven during the First World War. It might even be a good thing to leave it standing -- allowing this "monument to peace" remain as a reminder of the treachery of Japan, especially after the war when we are presented with the "inevitable Japanese cries for mercy and protestations of repentance."

"... is a bit silly, like b̵a̵n̵n̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵ ̵m̵u̵s̵i̵c̵ ̵o̵f̵ ̵B̵e̵e̵t̵h̵o̵v̵e̵n̵ ̵d̵u̵r̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵ ̵F̵i̵r̵s̵t̵ ̵W̵o̵r̵l̵d̵ ̵W̵a̵r̵ renaming french fries "freedom fries" during the Iraq war. History rhyming once again.

View attachment 431304
(Don't worry, Mickey -- they're going to forget all about that passed ball. In fact, I bet when you die, oh, 70-odd years from now, they won't even mention it in your obituary. There now, doesn't that make you feel better?)

Mr. Parrott would be amused to know that the same guys, selling the same tip sheets, in the same way, still exist today. You can't enter or leave the track without encountering them.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jun_5__1942_(6).jpg

(That's fine, Scarlett. Stand there, taking it all in with a disapproving frown. That'll help.)

Yup. Okay Ms. Sanctimonious Do-gooder, you created this mess, it's time to solve it.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_.jpg

Eventually there'll be a day with no Madeline, but that day is not today.

I think she looks better without the fancy hairdo and makeup.

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(3).jpg

Well, they were gonna blow it up anyway....

Vintage phrases that have disappeared: "What in the Sam Hill..."

Daily_News_Sat__Jun_6__1942_(4).jpg

Mr. Amard is going to be INSUFFERABLE from now on.

Gould's been on a drowning kick lately and seems to have moved away from the elaborate and convoluted killing methods, at least for now.

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars

Given how much I enjoyed your recommendation for Bill Werber's books, I will definitely look to add this to the library.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk