Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, due to the holiday, the Eagle doesn't publish today, and neither does its downmarket rival the Brooklyn Citizen. So no local news, and since the Dodgers are in Philadelphia (they won yesterday, 8-1) we'll find Joe and Sally enjoying the day among the masses at Coney Island, working on their sunburns and trying to keep Leonora from putting rocks in her mouth. And while they do that, we head over to the out of town newsstand to rustle up other sources for our daily Eagle comics....

The_Daily_Advertiser_Sat__Jul_4__1942_.jpg

(George's completely emotionless expression in panel two says it all.)

As they usually do on no-paper days, the Eagle skipped a "Mary Worth" so as not to throw the storyline too far out of alignment, in this case the July 1st episode --

The_Pantagraph_Wed__Jul_1__1942_.jpg

(Looks like Bill used to be a stunt driver too. Wonder if he ever knew Hu Shee?)

Des_Moines_Tribune_Sat__Jul_4__1942_.jpg

(Scarlet uses that "invisible translucent" powder.)

The_Knoxville_News_Sentinel_Sat__Jul_4__1942_.jpg

("Even Irwin.." huh? No matter who draws him, Dan Dunn is always a jerk. And speaking of which, note the signature: our new artist identifies himself as "Paul Pinson." Obviously a pseudonym he's using until something better comes along. Incidentally, I can now confirm that our dear Norman Marsh has officially left the strip in order to rejoin the United States Marine Corps, in which he had previously served in the last war. I wonder how much weight he had to lose?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News, which never sleeps, holiday or no....

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_.jpg

Net results, not good.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(1).jpg

It's funny, if I'd had to pick a Brain Truster to be a sly, romantic devil, I'd have had to gone with Farley. And hasn't poor Sonja got trouble enough being married to Topping?

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(2).jpg

Captain -- Hennick? Bless Bess!

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(3).jpg

"Oh, and start the recorder. A good 'car bomb' record will sell millions!"

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(4).jpg

"Why so serious?"

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(5).jpg

"Sugahman" is Southern for "Chump."

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(6).jpg

Poor Walt. One good war story and nobody wants to hear it.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(7).jpg

Hey Mamie, why aren't you in the WAACs?

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(8).jpg

I'd be a lot more confident, to be honest, if it was Shadow.

The_Pantagraph_Wed__Jul_1__1942_.jpg

(Looks like Bill used to be a stunt driver too. Wonder if he ever knew Hu Shee?)

"Bill, hi, it's me, that was some mighty nice driving you did."
Daily_News_Sat__Jun_22__1940_(1).jpg

The_Daily_Advertiser_Sat__Jul_4__1942_-2.jpg

(George's completely emotionless expression in panel two says it all.)

Aren't these two on a first-name basis yet?

The_Knoxville_News_Sentinel_Sat__Jul_4__1942_.jpg

("Even Irwin.." huh? No matter who draws him, Dan Dunn is always a jerk. And speaking of which, note the signature: our new artist identifies himself as "Paul Pinson." Obviously a pseudonym he's using until something better comes along. Incidentally, I can now confirm that our dear Norman Marsh has officially left the strip in order to rejoin the United States Marine Corps, in which he had previously served in the last war. I wonder how much weight he had to lose?)

That was a wonderfully gratuitous slam of Irwin.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(1).jpg

It's funny, if I'd had to pick a Brain Truster to be a sly, romantic devil, I'd have had to gone with Farley. And hasn't poor Sonja got trouble enough being married to Topping?

That was a good story and then Paulette Goddard showed up to make it better. Real life always beats fiction. Within a day or two, Page Four will use a Goddard pic along side an update of this story.

As to the surrogate mom, he "took advantage" of her, it's implied, five times, each time while she was under the influence of alcohol. There's a lot that is wrong in this story, but nobody is innocent.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(2).jpg

Captain -- Hennick? Bless Bess!

It is about time.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_4__1942_(8).jpg

I'd be a lot more confident, to be honest, if it was Shadow.

As you pointed out, that is the slowest burning fuse ever.

In the little time we've known her, Paulette has had one brutal existence.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1656960514747.png

Not an automat, but arguably a similar concept.

A local place offers fresh sushi dishes on a conveyor belt apparatus. You pick off what you want: the plates are color coded according to price. When you're done, the waitress tallies the bill, and you pay at the cashier.

I'll note that on a recent trip with my son, he consumed roughly three times the amount that I did. And I was paying.

My wife is like our Miss Lizzie when it comes to sushi: raw fish is for bait. She's actually finicky about all fish and most seafood. She prepares terrific baked salmon, but watching her do so, you'd think she was handling toxic waste.

Local tribal members sell Columbia River salmon about 30 miles upriver: caught that day, and very tasty. Now, if I can only persuade my wife of the health benefits.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_.jpg

("T'noive'a t'at cop!" snorts Joe. "Tellin' me t'putta shoit on! Wheah does he get off? T'flatfoot! T'bum!" "Bum!" replies Leonora. "Anna woist of it, he gimme a summons! Me, a defense woikeh! A summons! I'm gonna sen'nat summons right ta t'mayeh! I'm gonna sen' it right ta Commissioneh Valentine! I'm gonna sen' it right ta Robe't Moses! Buncha bums!" "Bumcha bums," affirms Leonora. "Hey," heys Joe. "Did she jus' say..." "Yeah," nods Sally with a grin. "She jus' *said.*")

The Mexican government today sent Gerhardt Wilhelm Kunse, German-American Bund leader, back to the United States, where he will be turned over to the Justice Department for prosecution on a charge of espionage. Kunze, considered one of the top Nazi agents on the continent, was captured by the Ministry of the Interior's secret police on June 30th, just as he was about to escape into the Gulf of Mexico on a fishing boat. Because Kunse was in Mexico illegally, there was no question of extradition, and President Manuel Avila Camachos acted with breathtaking swiftness to send him back to American authorities. Kunse, who is under indictment for espionage in Hartford, Connecticut, recently escaped from New York and made his way to Mexico, where he was rumored to be planning a rendezvous with a German submarine in the Gulf of Mexico. Using a false name, he purchased a 20-foot fishing boat, and attempted to purchase a radio to use aboard the vessel, which aroused the suspicions of authorities, who arrested him and held him incommunicado, first in Vera Cruz and then in Mexico City until his fingerprints could be checked with American authorities and his identity confirmed. Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation will take custody of Kunse in Brownsville, Texas this afternoon, and will presumably fly him to Hartford for trial.

Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt announced today that the President's special assistant Harry L. Hopkins and former New York fashion editor Mrs. Louise Macy will be married on July 30th, and will reside in the White House temporarily. The wedding will be the first to take place at the White House since the Wilson Administration, when two of President Wilson's daughters were married there. At a special press conference, Mr. Hopkins, when asked if there were any plans for a honeymoon, replied "Certainly. You bet your life! And oh baby, we're going to do that up right!"

More than 40,000 workers at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, working thru the July 4th holiday, were urged to "strike an extra blow for the men who froze at Valley Forge," in remarks by yard commandant Rear Admiral Edward J. Marquart. During a lunch hour address over the yard's public address system, Adm. Marquart acknowledged that "working is a new way for us to celebrate Independence Day. We're happy to do it, and like it. But just the same, we'll make our enemies pay for that -- and pay plenty, too!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(1).jpg

("Hey," chortles Joe, "izzat Pigtown I see?" "No," replies Sally, "we wunnowehah neeh Toity-six street, we allaway up onnauttasidea Prospeck --- I MEANN'EY AIN'NO SUCH T'ING AS PIGTOWN, IT'S CAWLED EAS' FLATBUSH!" "Pig town," adds Leonora.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(2).jpg

(The Phillies, in an effort to improve their club and achieve respectability, made a bold move this year. They are now officially called "the Phils." Just goes to show what a new paint job will do for a falling-down house.)

The National League stands as the favorite in the tenth annual All Star Game, to be played at the Polo Grounds Tuesday at 6:30 PM. Odds of 6-5 are being quoted around the city in the rendezvous of the wagering gentry. The Senior Circuit squad is studded this year with heavy-hitting left-handed pull hitters who will gaze with enthusiasm at the inviting right-field corner, just 257 feet away. Our own Arky Vaughan, who would have been the hero of last year's game in Detroit had not Theodore S. Williams of Boston engaged in certain Frank Merriwell tactics to end the contest, is hoping especially for a chance to resume his slugging ways. The Dodger third baseman has yet to hit a home run in 1942, despite stroking two, while in a Pirate uniform, during last year's All Star contest.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(3).jpg

(Hu Shee??)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(4).jpg

(Miss Mitchell is the only American to serve with the guerilla faction under the control of Serbian royalists, which faction, later in the war, will begin to collaborate with the Nazis against the rival guerilla faction under Tito. )

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(5).jpg

(Never mind the raid, I want to know where Miss Trixie gets her hair done.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(6).jpg

("Don't stand there gapping?" Obviously we have an invisible proofreader.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(7).jpg

(Awwww, what a cute catfish. Can we keep him? And Irwin, don't look in the trunk.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(8).jpg

(I once awoke in the middle of the night to the reek of smoke coming from the apartment across the hall. The fire department was already on the scene, to find the tenant passed out drunk on the floor and an extremely well-roasted chicken in the oven.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(9).jpg

(Actually, Mr. Hix just likes to draw boats.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_.jpg

Now wait. He's been gone five months, and she's only now finding out that Number 7 is on the way? Something tells me that this is not, in fact, the end of that story.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(1).jpg

Rubber Cat Heads???? How barbaric!

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(2).jpg

That's what happens when you mess with RECORDING ENGINEERS!

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(3).jpg

See how easy?

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(4).jpg

Somewhere, Tootsie is smiling.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(5).jpg
Well this should be good for at least three months.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(6).jpg

"Herr Hirohito?" Funny, he doesn't look Aryan.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(7).jpg

I hope they've got some sandwiches on board.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(8).jpg

Overweight, fortyish, sedentary habits. Hey Walt, keep still till the ambulance gets here.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(9).jpg

Well, at least SOMEBODY's in the wrong house.

Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt announced today that the President's special assistant Harry L. Hopkins and former New York fashion editor Mrs. Louise Macy will be married on July 30th, and will reside in the White House temporarily. The wedding will be the first to take place at the White House since the Wilson Administration, when two of President Wilson's daughters were married there. At a special press conference, Mr. Hopkins, when asked if there were any plans for a honeymoon, replied "Certainly. You bet your life! And oh baby, we're going to do that up right!"

Settle down Harry, you're not a young man.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(7)-2.jpg

(Awwww, what a cute catfish. Can we keep him? And Irwin, don't look in the trunk.)

Irwin would miss Dan less if he knew the smack Dan talked about him when he wasn't around.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(8).jpg

(I once awoke in the middle of the night to the reek of smoke coming from the apartment across the hall. The fire department was already on the scene, to find the tenant passed out drunk on the floor and an extremely well-roasted chicken in the oven.)

I had the exact - truly exact - same experience except it was a pot of pasta on a stovetop, not a chicken in the oven. The Fire Chief then proceeded to lecture all of us about fire safety as we stood outside, in various stages of dress, freezing, while the culprit was upstairs in bed sleeping it off.

And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_.jpg

Now wait. He's been gone five months, and she's only now finding out that Number 7 is on the way? Something tells me that this is not, in fact, the end of that story.

The winter "expected date" makes the timing very suspicious.

"That's funny, no one in either of our families has red hair. It's as red as our postman's."

"Oh, uh, umm, my great aunt, uh, who died before you met me, had that same red hair."

"That must be it then."

"Of course it is, dear." [Phew!]

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(2)-2.jpg

That's what happens when you mess with RECORDING ENGINEERS!

I know they're evidence, but wouldn't you keep the masters to, potentially, make more sales in the future?

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(3).jpg

See how easy?

Only ten-years old and she's already mastered the art of the meta-sales technique.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_5__1942_(7).jpg

I hope they've got some sandwiches on board.

Caniff even works a Fourth of July message in reasonably well. Gray would have just preached at us for seven panels.

Last edited:

Farace

Familiar Face
View attachment 436670
Not an automat, but arguably a similar concept.

A local place offers fresh sushi dishes on a conveyor belt apparatus. You pick off what you want: the plates are color coded according to price. When you're done, the waitress tallies the bill, and you pay at the cashier.

I'll note that on a recent trip with my son, he consumed roughly three times the amount that I did. And I was paying.

My wife is like our Miss Lizzie when it comes to sushi: raw fish is for bait. She's actually finicky about all fish and most seafood. She prepares terrific baked salmon, but watching her do so, you'd think she was handling toxic waste.

Local tribal members sell Columbia River salmon about 30 miles upriver: caught that day, and very tasty. Now, if I can only persuade my wife of the health benefits.

My first taste of sushi was in the summer of 1984. A friend brought me into Manhattan to a place near the Empire State Building called Genroku Sushi (how I can remember the name, I don’t know, when I can’t remember what I did yesterday). It had a large U-shaped lunch counter with a conveyor belt running along the inside edge with an assortment of dishes of sushi rattling along, and like your example, you just grab what you wanted and at the end of your meal the number of plates were tallied; it was $1.80 per plate then. There was also an eagle-eared attendant inside the belt who, upon hearing my friend tell me I should try the tekka maki, exclaimed, “tekka maki?!” and shoved a plate of it in front of me. Which I devoured. Did you want hot tea? Above the U-shaped counter was plumbing with a spigot at every seat with hot running tea, just hold up your cup and fill it. Obviously the place made quite an impression on me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_.jpg

(The priorities shown in the falling-flier story offer an interesting lesson in how cultural biases, in any era, inevitably shape the news. It would be equally instructive to see how the Amsterdam News, up in Harlem, covers the same story.)

Stricter control over all drivers thru some sort of policiing system must be instituted at once to ensure the elimination of gasoline "chiselers," it was declared today by Louis Kimmel, business manager of the Gasoline Merchants' Association of Brooklyn and Queens, as more than 600,000 persons prepared to apply this week for new gasoline ration cards. Mr. Kimmel recommended that the same form of enforcement be applied to drivers as is already applied to dealers in governing how much fuel they may receive. "If the chiselers are not done away with," he warned, "no amount of rationing will be successful. The Association has sent a petition to the Office of Price Administration recommending a course of action to ensure a crackdown on chiseling, but Mr. Kimmel indicated that no reply has been received.

Meanwhile, three hundred and thirty public schools across all five boroughs will be open Thursday and Friday for registration from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM, and again next Monday from 3 PM to 7 PM. The registration procedure will be greatly simplified from that followed in the first gasoline-rationing registration, with only two classifications of ration books to be issued during the registration, and registrars having no authority to determine who is entitled to receive supplemental rations. Applications for those supplemental rations will be available at the registration centers, but must be mailed to each applicant's local ration board, which will mail back its decision on the action taken. The new coupon-based system, with each book containing 48 individual coupons entitling the bearer to purchase four gallons of gasoline must last for a full year, and the amount alloted per stamp may change at any time. Supplemental B rations will be issued only to persons who can clearly prove an occupational need for additional fuel covering 150 miles per month, and that the vehicle covered by the book is being used in a car pooling arrangement, or that no pool could be formed and other methods of transportation are not available. C rations containing 96 coupons will be issued only to very few persons with demonstrable requirements in specific areas of employment, and coupons will be removed from each book to reflect the specific needs of each person to whom a C book is issued. The coupon-book system will replace the present punch cards as of July 22nd.

The trial before a military commission of eight accused Nazi saboteurs is to begin in Washington, D. C. on Wednesday, with the prisoners now being held under heavy guard at the District Jail after arriving from New York over the weekend. The eight prisoners are isolated from other inmates of the jail and from each other, with soldiers and FBI agents guarding all doorways and corridors in the jail building. The six Germans and two naturalized American citizens face death by firing squad if they are convicted on the charges that they arrived on American shores by Nazi submarine to engage in sabotage activities against the U. S. war effort.

One hundred and fifty children lost during the Fourth of July holiday at Coney Island this year set a new record, and the foundlings had to forego the traditional ice cream treat at the police precinct, with a new policy in place prohibiting the serving of food to children. Policewoman Mrs. Ruth Bidanset of Flushing, who is in charge of the new haven for lost children set up in an ice-cream-colored bungalow opposite the Coney Island Station, says that the treats have been eliminated to prevent "any additional strain" on the digestive systems of the distressed youngsters. The former foundlings' room at the precinct house was taken over earlier this year by an air raid wardens' post.

President Roosevelt today promised Chinese Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek that the United States will stand with China to the war's end, in order to secure "peace and justice and freedom thruout the world." The pledge from the President marks the fifth anniversary of the Battle of Marco Polo Bridge, the 1937 incident which set off the present Sino-Japanese War.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(1).jpg

("I could drive a tank," muses Sally. "You neveh even drove a cawr," scoffs Joe. "Drivin' a tank's easieh," insists Sally. "Y'ain'gotteh watch wheah ya goin'!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(2).jpg

("Pvt. Julie Oshins burlesquing Gypsy Rose Lee" is actually Pvt. Jules Oshins, a short, bald, pudgy tummler from the Catskills. After all, show business is all about illusions.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(3).jpg

(Hey, at least they don't have organ music.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(4).jpg

("It's not like when you and Pa were...oh never mind.")

Noted Soviet humorist Eugene Petrov was reported killed in action this week somewhere on the Southern front. Petrov, who toured the United States with his writing partner Ilya Ilf in 1936, was serving as a Red Army war correspondent at Sevastopol, from where his last dispatch recorded the last heroic stand of the Soviet garrison in the face of its German-Rumanian attackers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(5).jpg

(So there, those who say Leland Stanford MacPhail only ever acts out of self interest are now invited to choke. And the rest of us can tune in on all the action of tonight's game right here --
)

Out at Dexter Park, a crowd of 12,500 saw the Bushwicks take two from the powerful Homestead Grays, including a dramatic 16-inning victory in the opener, in which Grays' starter Ernest Carter went the distance before giving up a game-winning single to Al Cuccinello.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(6).jpg

(Panel One -- presented for your consideration, a man who realizes he has nothing left to lose.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(7).jpg

(Her last house burned to the ground. This one got blown up by a cyclone. Better get a big security deposit ready for the next one.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(8).jpg

("Sure, I'll deliver it.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(9).jpg

("Of course, Mr. Dunn, sir, your honor, as soon as you show us some ID. And let's have a smell of your breath.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_.jpg

Good for Rev. Jones. See James 2: 2-4.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(2).jpg

Sometimes your investment just doesn't pay off.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(3).jpg

The Girl From Marketing.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(4).jpg

"Except for the picture of Joe Stalin. Let's drop that on Berlin!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(5).jpg

"That's why I'm wearing my hat from the last war. I was in the last war, Doc, did you know that? Did you hear about what happened when..."

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(6).jpg

OK, now what? Who else is out there? I'd even settle for Singh-Singh.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(7).jpg

DICK Tracy, smuggest SOB in the comics.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(8).jpg

She's holding out Olsen and Johnson for last.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(9).jpg

And poor Harold, stuck to the floor in a spreading pool of raspberry syrup. At least it'll hide the blood.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(10).jpg

45 is the new 80.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(4).jpg

("It's not like when you and Pa were...oh never mind.")

"I'm being drafted and may never see you again," "we ran out of gas," "we have to turn the lights off:" it's like the entire war effort was designed by an eighteen-year-old boy with girls on his mind.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(7).jpg

(Her last house burned to the ground. This one got blown up by a cyclone. Better get a big security deposit ready for the next one.)

Wait till she sees her new homeowners premium.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(8).jpg

("Sure, I'll deliver it.")

Were telegram company's really this nonchalant about whom they deliver the telegram to? I know it's a modern obsession to check and verify everything (unless it's a powerful person who, of course, lives by a different set of rules), but it would seem, in 1942, a bad business practice to just hand over a telegram to some guy in the street.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_.jpg

Good for Rev. Jones. See James 2: 2-4.

Agreed, now, Rev. Jones, how do you feel about becoming friendly with older single wealthy female donors?

Having lived through the business world's transition from all suits and ties to full casual, I saw all the same arguments debated.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(2).jpg

Sometimes your investment just doesn't pay off.

Perfectly worded, Lizzie, as that is exactly what happened.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_6__1942_(4).jpg

"Except for the picture of Joe Stalin. Let's drop that on Berlin!"

Give 'em time and the Russians will do that themselves.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1657147838520.png

It was drummed into me at age ten (not by my parents, but by the director of a men & boys choir of which I was a member) to always "dress as a professional" when I travelled with the group. That meant wearing a collared shirt, sport coat, and tie, whenever I'd board a plane. A rule that I always lived by, to the point of chastising my wife for dressing "... like you're on your way to a hobo convention..." I was of the opinion that the flight crews generally treat you with more respect if you're not dressed like a bum. (That may be true to some extent- but the reality is a bit more nuanced: being a professional has more to do with how you treat others rather than the label inside of your coat. And flight crews observe this in passengers. But you already know that.)

The casual vs. fashionable argument between my wife and I continued for years- until we had a newborn son. Christmas was coming, so we planned on flying to Texas to see my in-laws with the baby. While waiting for our cab to the airport, the kid spit up all over my blazer. Dashed upstairs and changed clothes: blue jeans and a t- shirt on that trip for me.

Rev. Payne is right: the important thing is to show up. We made the flight, I didn't wear a coat & tie... and the world didn't end.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_.jpg

("C'mon, you guys!" sputters Bustin' Babs. "There's other people that have perfectly good reasons for smashing up police booths! WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK I DID IT???")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(1).jpg

("AT LEAST I WASN'T DRIVING!")

Workers in 138 "critical shortage occupations" today were listed by the War Manpower Commission as eligible for draft deferments, but Commission Chairman Paul V. McNutt stressed that the final decisions in such cases will be left to local draft boards. The listed occupations are those for which there are not enough trained workers now available to care both for the essential demands of war production and of vital civilian activities. Mr. McNutt underlined that local boards are in no case obligated to grant exemptions, but it is "recommended" that such men be deferred. The occupations listed include a wide range of skilled industrial and machine-shop functions, as well as certain general manufacturing and construction jobs.

The lights at the Polo Grounds winked out as the players were running off the field following the American League's 3-1 victory over the National, just moments before the scheduled city-wide blackout at 9:30 pm would have terminated the game anyway. Aside from the "confounded fireflies" and a few scattered household lights that were not properly shrouded or extinguished, the blackout was deemed a success by civilian defense leaders. At the Harlem ballpark, most spectators remained in their seats as the lights went out, waiting for their eyes to adjust to the darkness before leaving, but some few could not resist the impulse to light cigarettes, but Mayor LaGuardia, who witnessed the blackout from his seat behind home plate, expressed the belief "from personal observation" that the cigarettes could not be seen from the air. In Brooklyn, Borough President John Cashmore witnessed the blackout from the spire of the Williamsburg Bank Building, and muttered "there ought to be a law..." as he noticed scattered downtown violations. "

Mysterious snipers shot two men from a Williamsburg rooftop during last night's blackout, but both men are recovering from their injuries. 34-year-old Anthony DiMartino of 631 Lorimer Street and 18-year-old Paul Daniello of 40 Richardson Street were standing on the sidewalk in front of 47 Richardson Street when they were hit. The two told police that they saw "two gunmen" fleeing into the night after the shots were fired, and that they could think of no motive for the shooting.

A Fort Greene man will serve 7 1/2 to 15 years in Sing Sing Prison after his conviction on a manslaughter charge. 41-year-old Leo Majiar of 380 Cumberland Street was found guilty in the death of his neighbor, James Carmichael, whom he stabbed to death after confronting him early on the morning of March 22nd. Majiar told police that Carmichael was playing his radio too loud at 2:30 AM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(2).jpg

(The impulse to draw things on walls is, alas, a universal trait of humanity.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(4).jpg

(Note that they worked "Bums" into the ad. Won't Larry be sore!)

The Eagle Editorialist oberves the fifth anniversary of the Japanese attack on China by calling for a full American commitment to China relief -- not just the munitions and equipment the Chinese need to fight off the Japanese invaders, but also the medical supplies and other needs not covered by Lend-Lease that the Chinese people require to keep up the struggle. The United China Relief bureau in Brooklyn is waiting for your gift.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(5).jpg

("And no one would suspect him -- I mean, just LOOK at him!")

Enough scrap rubber to fit out the rubber needs of 690 medium tanks or 59 four-engined bombers was scoured from Brooklyn junkyards during the rubber drive between June 15th and July 3rd. Those figures do not include additional rubber contributed by the general public during the campaign, and it is expected there will be a spurt in the statistics over the next several days as scrap turned in at gasoline stations is turned over to bulk processing plants.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_.jpg

(Over its first decade the American League has dominated the All-Star Game, now holding a 7-3 lead in the series. Sorry, Leo, you should have known.)

The victorious American League squad will meet a Service All Star team under the management of former Tiger manage Mickey Cochrane tonight at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland. Bob Feller, currently of the Navy and late of the hometown Indians, is expected to start for the Service stars, with former teammate Jim Bagby of Cleveland slated to take the hill for the American League. Advance sales for the special game, benefitting the Army-Navy Relief Fund, have exceeded 50,000 tickets, out of a total capacity of 80,000. The game will be broadcast over the Mutual network at 9PM Eastern War Time.

(And you can tune in here:
)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(1).jpg

(What kind of hardware store in 1942 doesn't carry guns, blackjacks, or saps?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(2).jpg

("And worse comes to worse, we can always hit up Leona and John again. BECAUSE THEY OWE ME.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(3).jpg

("Well, since they're obviously top secret and of extreme strategic importance, I'll just leave them here on my desk while I go to lunch. Beef pie today at the Automat!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(4).jpg

(Of course, sometimes Irwin does deserve all the slagging he gets...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_.jpg

Nuts to the Appelate Division. Alice Jones Rhinelander, who was dragged thru one of the most excruciating Page Four divorces of the twenties, deserves every lousy nickel she can get out of these people.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(1).jpg

Yes, by all means go out and buy this magazine that we're pushing in our ad because they give us a completely unbiased plug. Would we kid you?

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(2).jpg

"How can I harness this child for my own purposes??"

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(3).jpg

Heading up north? Watch out for mosquitoes!

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(4).jpg

Settle down, dad. He'll be hitting line drives at your crotch in no time at all.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(5).jpg

Seeza maboiks indeed.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(6).jpg
Well, unless Bucky Wing has aged terribly since we last saw him, we don't know either of these guys.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(7).jpg

"And I'll be working every night. Every Single Night. Just so you know."

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(8).jpg

"Good work, kid, we hated him too."

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(9).jpg

Don't be hasty, good office managers are hard to find.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jul_7__1942_-2.jpg

("C'mon, you guys!" sputters Bustin' Babs. "There's other people that have perfectly good reasons for smashing up police booths! WHY DOES EVERYBODY THINK I DID IT???")

She should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and, of course, it could be a copy-cat crime, but the smashed windows and attack on Ma Bell's service are her trademarks. If it is her, and the second half of the story doesn't look good for her, Dad's going to have to shell out some real dollars this time for legal firepower to keep his little girl out of jail.

I bet Joe's excited he's getting a new co-worker direct from Washington.

The lights at the Polo Grounds winked out as the players were running off the field following the American League's 3-1 victory over the National, just moments before the scheduled city-wide blackout at 9:30 pm would have terminated the game anyway. Aside from the "confounded fireflies" and a few scattered household lights that were not properly shrouded or extinguished, the blackout was deemed a success by civilian defense leaders. At the Harlem ballpark, most spectators remained in their seats as the lights went out, waiting for their eyes to adjust to the darkness before leaving, but some few could not resist the impulse to light cigarettes, but Mayor LaGuardia, who witnessed the blackout from his seat behind home plate, expressed the belief "from personal observation" that the cigarettes could not be seen from the air. In Brooklyn, Borough President John Cashmore witnessed the blackout from the spire of the Williamsburg Bank Building, and muttered "there ought to be a law..." as he noticed scattered downtown violations. "

In WWII movies, they make it seem like a lit cigarette can be seen from the moon.

The Eagle Editorialist oberves the fifth anniversary of the Japanese attack on China by calling for a full American commitment to China relief -- not just the munitions and equipment the Chinese need to fight off the Japanese invaders, but also the medical supplies and other needs not covered by Lend-Lease that the Chinese people require to keep up the struggle. The United China Relief bureau in Brooklyn is waiting for your gift.

Right now, the immediate need is to rescue Normandie and Merrily; after that, we can take up the larger issue of relief needs.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(1).jpg

Yes, by all means go out and buy this magazine that we're pushing in our ad because they give us a completely unbiased plug. Would we kid you?

Buh, buh, buh how can something that's good for your throat - as all those actors and ballplayers have told me in ads - have the least amount of throat-irritating tars and resins? When did cigarettes acquire these throat-irritating things?

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(2).jpg

"How can I harness this child for my own purposes??"

The next level up in sales, after the pushy, in-your-face "buy this great product for these reasons or you'll be a fool" method, are all some version of Annie's technique.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(6).jpg

Well, unless Bucky Wing has aged terribly since we last saw him, we don't know either of these guys.

Who are the guys in the background in panel one who also look like they're flying a plane? A tail gunner doesn't have a co-pilot.

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(7).jpg

"And I'll be working every night. Every Single Night. Just so you know."

"I'm expecting..." [Skeezix you dog] "...to work hard.." [Oh, never mind]

Daily_News_Tue__Jul_7__1942_(8).jpg

"Good work, kid, we hated him too."

"Jump in anytime you'd like, Paulette, it's your life I'm saving too."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(1).jpg

("Cute as the devil?" Well, won't the boys back home in Brownsville like that.)

A large, secret anti-German organization has been operating in occupied Hungary for more than a year, it was revealed today in Ankara, Turkey. The faction, it was disclosed, has been smuggling guns to a patriot army under the command of General Draja Mikhailovich in the Serbian mountains, and to Polish-Russian guerilla forces operating on the Eastern Front. The revelation was made after nine Hungarian army officers were put on trial by the pro-Nazi Hungarian government, as a new wave of unrest continues to spread thru occupied Europe. The Hungarians, said to be affiliated with a group called the Dozsa Legion, named for a 16th Century Hungarian military hero, are only the latest of many patriot leaders to be rounded up, put on trial, or executed by Nazi occupation forces. In Belgrade, sixty-two Communists were sentenced to death by a Nazi court in what is described as "the biggest political trial in Bulgaria in years," while in Belgium, the Fascist burgomaster of an unidentified villiage was assassinated by a patriot disguised in the uniform of a gendrarme.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(2).jpg

("Elderly!" huffs 54-year-old Monty Woolley, his beard quivering with rage. "ELDERLY!")

Brooklyn motorists will flock to public schools across the borough tomorrow to register for the new coupon-based "A" ration book for gasoline, with doors open from 9 am to 12:30 pm tomorrow and Friday. Those who believe they qualify for supplemental ration will be required to fill out application blanks for consideration by local ration boards. No supplemental rations will be issued at the schools. Those requiring a "D" ration for motorcycle use may also receive those at the schools, but commercial operators requiring an "S" ration must apply only by mail.

Meanwhile, the Office of Price Administration announced today that rationing of bicycles will begin tomorrow, with certificates for purchase to be issued only to those requiring bicycles for war-related transportation. No certificates will be issued to joyriders.

The President's recent warning that the Government reserves the right to requisition every automobile tire in the country is seen as the prelude to a new campaign to eliminate private "motoring as usual" for the duration of the war. For months officials have been warning that "extraordinary measures" may have to be taken to conserve rubber, with existing supplies possibly insufficient for military use, let alone for the public. Government sources have suggested that if all nonessential driving were prohibited, the present rubber supply might be sufficient to last until a synthetic-rubber program is in full operation. The President, for his part, emphasized yesterday that he is less interested in saving rubber and gasoline than he is in saving the country.

One thousand women will invade retail stores thruout the city over the next three days to enforce the Office of Price Administration's requirement that ceiling prices for all "cost of living" goods be clearly posted in all retail establishments. The drive, taking place across the Northeastern states, will deliver official posters listing the maximum prices allowed to be charged for more than 200 articles, ranging from foods, drugs, and toiletries to household linen, furniture, and fuel.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(4).jpg

(Herbie liked it so much he saw it twice, even though the sportswriter "was no Eagle man." They really missed the boat by not having Parrott or Holmes play themselves.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(5).jpg

(Otherwise known as pantothenic acid, or Vitamin B-5. Also used in dog food to keep Fido's coat glossy.)

The Eagle Editorialist notes that, on the one hand, Mayor LaGuardia wasn't too worried about thousands of people at the Polo Grounds lighting up cigarettes during the blackout the other night, but on the other hand seven men over at Lefferts Place were arrested for lighting up cigarettes during the blackout the other night. "It would be nice for our authorities to maybe get together on this."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(6).jpg

("Take it up with Judge Bulge!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(7).jpg

(Yeah, well, the Service team wouldn't have lost if Cookie was in the lineup. And why wasn't he?)

The brothers of actress Jinx Falkenberg have both advanced to the next rounds in the National Scholastic Tennis Tournament, underway this week in Philadelphia. Bobby Falkenburg eliminated his opponent Benny Migdow of Chicago 6-3, 6-1 to move into the semifinals, while his older brother Tom moved into the quarterfinals by defeating William T. Yivisaker of Lawrenceville, Pa. 8-6, 6-3. Both boys attend Fairfax High School in Los Angeles.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(9).jpg

(That's our George.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(10).jpg

(Meanwhile, Bill hands Dennie and Sunny a box of cereal he looted from a ruined grocery, and wonders if this is just how life is always going to be.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(11).jpg

(And they always make how it's so hard to be a spy.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(12).jpg

("Badge? Um, I lost it. Didn't you, Ir-- I mean, didn't I?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_.jpg

Flash the sign, Sergeant! Flash the sign!

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(1).jpg

"Whattaya MEAN I can't flash the sign???"

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(2).jpg

War is Heck.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(3).jpg

"Oh, and I'm joining the WAACs. Get me a commission at once."

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(4).jpg

"He's wanted for desertion?"

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(5).jpg

Well, he could do his magic act.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(6).jpg

You got her down, but how will you get her up again?

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(7).jpg

Hey kid, it could be worse.

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(8).jpg

"After an accidental bath in spoiled raspberry syrup, young Harold Teen gained the proportionate strength of..."

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(9).jpg

And that's how we do things in this office!

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(4).jpg

(Herbie liked it so much he saw it twice, even though the sportswriter "was no Eagle man." They really missed the boat by not having Parrott or Holmes play themselves.)

I had a similar thought. Nothing says the Eagle is a Brooklyn paper more than having its movie critic review "It Happened in Flatbush" twice: once when it came out and once when it premiered in Brooklyn.

HC: "You know, it's a bit silly and childish."
Editor: "You can't say that."
HC: "I know, I was just pointing out..."
Editor: [cutting him off] "Can't say it."
HC: "I hear you, it's just..."
Editor: [cutting him off with finality] "It's just that you love the movie."
HC: [dejectedly] "I love the movie."
Editor: [happily] "I look forward to reading your review."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(5).jpg

(Otherwise known as pantothenic acid, or Vitamin B-5. Also used in dog food to keep Fido's coat glossy.)

"I'm negotiating a sponsorship deal with the company right now, but stupid Wolf is up for the gig too. Sitting in the waiting room, looking a bit down and out, I saw the turtle, Shelley :), from 'Sparky Watts.' I promised him I'd ask Gray about any openings at LOA for him."
Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Dec_28__1941_(2).jpg

The brothers of actress Jinx Falkenberg have both advanced to the next rounds in the National Scholastic Tennis Tournament, underway this week in Philadelphia. Bobby Falkenburg eliminated his opponent Benny Migdow of Chicago 6-3, 6-1 to move into the semifinals, while his older brother Tom moved into the quarterfinals by defeating William T. Yivisaker of Lawrenceville, Pa. 8-6, 6-3. Both boys attend Fairfax High School in Los Angeles.

I couldn't be more proud of you boys. Love, Sis
Jinx-Falkenburg-on-a-Stripe-Top-and-standing-Pose-Photo-Print.jpg

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(3).jpg

"Oh, and I'm joining the WAACs. Get me a commission at once."

"And take off that stupid toupee, you look like you're wearing a hat made of hair."

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(5).jpg

Well, he could do his magic act.

"I mean Min, his wife Min. Andy's an idiot; we want this show to work."

Daily_News_Wed__Jul_8__1942_(8).jpg

"After an accidental bath in spoiled raspberry syrup, young Harold Teen gained the proportionate strength of..."

I, too, am having a tough time buying that our Harold Teen is beating up three hardened thugs.

"Any time it's convenient for you, Paulette, I could use a little help tying everyone up."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_.jpg
(There's something fishy about this Willie Robinson/Roberson story -- he was arrested in the Scottsboro case in 1931, and he was clearly not 9 years old at the time. Leibowitz would know by sight if this guy is actually the same man who was tried in the original case. And in other news, Mr. MacPhail must now be wondering if it's too late to get a refund on that organ.)

A strong force of Royal Air Force planes estimated to number upward around 300 attacked Germany's North Sea naval base at Wilhelmshaven overnight, it was announced today by London. Fighter command planes attacked enemy airdromes and other objectives in occupied France, and shot down two German bombers which they intercepted. Four British planes were lost in the night's operations.

American submarines have taken advantage of the rain and fog in the Aleutian Islands to sneak into Japanese-held harbors, torpedo five enemy destroyers, and escape without detection. Whereas bad weather had been blamed for the lack of air action against Japanese invasion forces in the Aleutians it is made to order for undersea craft, with submariners using periscopes able to see ships silhouetted against the haze well enough to send torpedoes crashing against their sides.

Supporters of Attorney General John J. Bennett for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination today hailed a statement by Democratic National Committee chairman Edward J. Flynn that, in his opinion, Bennett "has the necessary qualifications for the job" as laid out by President Roosevelt. Mr. Flynn emerged from a conference with the President in Washington yesterday, and revealed that the President considers Bennett, along with Senator James Mead, to fit his definition of "liberals who had supported the Administration's policy before Pearl Harbor." Democratic State Chairman James A. Farley received Mr. Flynn's comments with particular jubilation, having stated the previous day that Mr. Bennett suited the President's qualifications. More than half of state convention delegates have already pledged support to Bennett, and while Mr. Farley's endorsement is likely to carry weight with those who remain undecided, Mr. Flynn's political influence has been "on the wane" since his involvement in the Lake Mahopac paving-block investigation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(1).jpg

(Well, that's one way to get better press notices. And note that Lowell Thomas is making more money than his boss -- but then, in assiduously toeing Mr. Pew's National Association of Manufacturer's line in his broadcasts, the money no doubt comes as a cooling salve to his conscience.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(2).jpg

(Clip and save.)

Visitors to the Prospect Park Zoo are mourning the death of Topsy the Elephant, last survivor of P. T. Barnum's famous herd of the last century, at the estimated age of 100. Topsy was put out of her misery by two rifle shots yesterday after collapsing in her pen. The elephant had been in poor health for some time, and had been avoiding lying down, evidently out of a fear that she would be unable to rise again. Her two cagemates, 20-year-old Judy and still-younger Asta were in evident mourning today, but keepers expect they'll "pull out of it" in a few days.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(3).jpg

(Well, I dunno, remember "Symphony in D for the Dodgers?" That went over pretty well at the Academy of Music. And note that the playing of the National Anthem before every game is still a novelty in 1942 -- the Dodgers began the practice two years ago, using phonograph records before the organ showed up this spring, but it has not yet become universal.)

The editor of the newspaper PM is awaiting official notification that he has been continued in draft status 1-A before deciding whether he will continue his appeal. Ralph Ingersoll has been at the center of controversy with New York draft authorities since the publisher of PM, Marshall Field of Chicago, requested that he be deferred on the basis that he is "indispensible" to the newspaper. Ingersoll has challenged his 1-A classification, charging that he is being targeted by his local board because one of that board's members doesn't like PM's editorial policy.

The Eagle Editorialist deplores President Roosevelt's decision to insert his opinions in the Democratic gubernatorial race, and states that the views of the Chief Executive should carry no weight in deciding who will represent the Democratic Party in the fall election. The EE considers it "regrettable" that the President should be concerning himself with state-level politics at a time when "critical war problems involving the very existence of the nation press on him from every direction."

Reader Anita L. Jones says it's fine that WNYC did a broadcast recently denouncing those "twin health menaces," spitting and smoking on the subway, but she points out that the sort of people who spit and smoke on the subway are likely not the type who listen to WNYC. She recommends that the city make use of some of the unused advertising space in the cars to warn against such "health nuisances."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(4).jpg

("What about it, Oinie?" snickers Private Solomon J. Pincus to his buddy. "Shut up awready," growls Oinie.)

In Elmsford, a member of the New York City Board of Water Supply Police died yesterday after accidentally drinking a glass of household ammonia. 45-year-old Joseph Hussey, of Flushing, had served on the water police for about four months.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(6).jpg

(21st Century players who claim they have it tougher than their 20th Century forebearers never played five doubleheaders on a ten-day road trip.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(7).jpg

(I wonder if Dingy and Jo are related?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(8).jpg

(Just her luck the Old Ladies' Home is gone.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(9).jpg

("See, I know all about how this spy stuff works. I read 'Dan Dunn!'")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_9__1942_(10).jpg

("Gallopin' Goldfish! Let's go on the bumper cars!")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana