Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_.jpg

("Scribner's Commentator" was the most notoriously pro-Fascist mainstream magazine of the prewar period -- it had nothing to do with the original Scribner's Magazine, nor with the Scribner publishing house, but merely appropriated the name of the original Scribner's when that magazine folded in 1939. Its editorial policy took a sudden hard-right shift in the summer of 1940, and from then on It was the home base of America's number one "intellectual Fascist" Lawrence Dennis, along with Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford, Gen. Robert Wood, and others along that line. "The Living Age" was an aggregation magazine, pulling its content from other publications, all of which, after 1938, seemed to display a certain ambivalence toward Japan's adventures in the Far East. The "North American Review" was the oldest American literary magazine then published, dating back to 1815, but it suspended in 1940 when its Japanese/Fascist allegiance became a bit too obvious.)

A report by the semi-official Chinese Central News Agency said today that at least 21,000 young Chinese men and women were massacred by the retreating Japanese in Chekiang and Kiangsi Provinces. The reports stated that cities in the two provinces from which the Japanese have withdrawn have been left "heaped with corpses," and the Japanese are said to have burned the cities and surrounding villages, leaving hundreds of thousands of people along the Chekiang and Kiangsi Raliroad without homes. Most of the victims were under 25 years of age. This is the second massacre of Chinese by Japanese troops to take place this summer, with 600 Chinese children having been killed in July in the city of Kinhwa.

New Nazi brutalities against Jews in France are reported today, with details emerging of a "virtual pogrom" beginning on Bastille Day, during which approximately 25,000 Jews were herded at gunpoint into Prince Park and the Velodrome D'Nivier Sport Center to be processed prior to deportation to occupied Eastern territories for use as slave labor. Men, women, and children were reported to have been rounded up by brutal Nazi guards. The removal of all Jewish patients from Rothschild Hospital is reported to have been personally led by a Gestapo officer cracking a whip.

Meanwhile, the Norwegian Government in Exile reports that Czechs and Serbs have been added to the thousands of Russians, Poles, Danes, and Dutch shipped to occupied Norway by the Nazis for use as slave labor in the construction of defenses against a possible United Nations invasion. Most of those laborers are believed to be prisoners of war, forced into labor gangs, starved and flogged by brutal German guards.

Yugoslav partisans are reported to be advancing on the Bosnian city of Jajce along the Vrabas River, after smashing counter-attacks by Croat Ustasni troops launched from the north. It is also reported that Croat guerillas who have rebelled against the ruling Nazi puppet government in Croatia set fire to crops in the fields of Zmun, all of which had been earmarked for shipment to Germany. These same guerillas are reported to have seized arms and ammunition stored in the town of Pisarovina.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(2).jpg

"But only as a sideline of beauty." Ah, the tourist business.

Landlords who have chafed at the cost of civilian defense equipment now required by law in all buildings can look forward to a reduction in the cost of the most expensive item on the list. The price of stirrup pumps is expected to fall to $5.50 or even $4 per unit, from a high of $8.98 following a shipment of 50,000 to 100,000 pumps expected to reach the city within the next two weeks. In the meantime, Acting Fire Lieutenant Charles E. Wagner indicated that, although all owners of one and two-family dwellings are required by law to obtain the required firefighting equipment by October 1st, the pump shortage will be taken under consideration in enforcing that law. In all cases, however, buildings will be required to possess and maintain snow or coal shovels and sand buckets for dealing with incendiary bombs, and that the sand will be required to be kept dry.

Old Timer John F. Pfalzgraff remembers the heyday of the Old Time Barber Shop, long before the invention of the safety razor, when most men shaved every other day and the shops were always busy, with the customers reading the Police Gazette and exchanging neighborhood gossip as they waited for their favorite barber to serve them. Every shop displayed a shelf of personal shaving mugs, monogrammed with the initials of its owner, and the more fastidious patrons also had their own combs and hairbrushes.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(3).jpg

("'At game yest'day was t'bunk," growls Joe, as he and Sally pause on their way into the Newark Eagles-Homestead Grays doubleheader at Ebbets Field to sign the "End Jim Crow In Baseball" petition. "I bet if we had some'a t'ese guys here, we'd a' won it." "If Joe Louis c'n be t' Champ, an'nat Jesse Owens c'n be inna 'Lympics," declares Sally, "I don' see why t'ese guys can't play inna Majeh Leagues." "Yeah," agrees Joe. "I mean, lookit us. Who eveh hoida a Lit'uanian an' a Irish gettin' along? But we do it! No reason diff'nt kinds a bawlplayehs can't. It's whatcha cawl ya Awl-American melted pot!" "I bet t'is Gibson," growls Sally, "don' strike out witta bases loaded!")

Production of cola drinks and other beverages containing caffeine will be regulated by the War Production Board, with that drug and theobromine both placed under strict allocation controls as of October 1st. The controls are expected to reduce the quantities of those substances available for beverage manufacture, but, it is stressed, the impact "will not be felt heavily at first."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(4).jpg

(BOBO NEWSOM! BOBO NEWSOM! BOBO NEWSOM!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(5).jpg

(Cowboys are such romantic fellows.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(6).jpg

("Yep, I bought it secondhand from some guy called Tiger Lilly.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(7).jpg

(NOW JUST A MINUTE. "Private Lives" is pre-empted this week by a Pepsi ad? Gotta get those sales up before the caffeine rationing starts!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(8).jpg

(Mr. Bushmiller really misses the World's Fair.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(9).jpg

(Never mind the white lard, I think Bill's been eating white lead. And meanwhile, "It's foolproof, Mr. Dunn! I bought the formula from some stringbean-looking character named Bungle, who said he had to leave town in a hurry. IT CAN'T MISS!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(10).jpg

(Mmmmm, sure is a good thing we have modern toothpaste made from soap, precipitated chalk, and potassium chlorate!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_.jpg

"Whatta they mean calling me a homely redhead! The nerve! And after I let them take my picture and everything!" "I don't think they mean you, didn't you read the article?" "I'm so mad I can barely see, let alone read!"

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(1).jpg

Yeah, they look like Kay Kyser fans.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(3).jpg

AMERICA'S #2 HERO DOG!

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(4).jpg

POINT OF ORDER: Annie knew Sam when she was living with the Slaggs, in a town down on the Florida coast. She only arrived in this town after that business in the cave, a town far from where she'd been. So why should the Padre have known Sam at all? Unless -- well, maybe he knew him, ah, professionally.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(5).jpg

In what way?

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(6).jpg

Loading Chekhov's Gun.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(7).jpg

Meet your new best friend.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(8).jpg

I'm getting dizzy here.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(9).jpg

Poor Judy. She's now 87 years old, and I bet there's still people in this stupid town who call her "Mary."

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(10).jpg

Good old fashioned American risk taking.

View attachment 449309
("Scribner's Commentator" was the most notoriously pro-Fascist mainstream magazine of the prewar period -- it had nothing to do with the original Scribner's Magazine, nor with the Scribner publishing house, but merely appropriated the name of the original Scribner's when that magazine folded in 1939. Its editorial policy took a sudden hard-right shift in the summer of 1940, and from then on It was the home base of America's number one "intellectual Fascist" Lawrence Dennis, along with Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford, Gen. Robert Wood, and others along that line. "The Living Age" was an aggregation magazine, pulling its content from other publications, all of which, after 1938, seemed to display a certain ambivalence toward Japan's adventures in the Far East. The "North American Review" was the oldest American literary magazine then published, dating back to 1815, but it suspended in 1940 when its Japanese/Fascist allegiance became a bit too obvious.)

A report by the semi-official Chinese Central News Agency said today that at least 21,000 young Chinese men and women were massacred by the retreating Japanese in Chekiang and Kiangsi Provinces. The reports stated that cities in the two provinces from which the Japanese have withdrawn have been left "heaped with corpses," and the Japanese are said to have burned the cities and surrounding villages, leaving hundreds of thousands of people along the Chekiang and Kiangsi Raliroad without homes. Most of the victims were under 25 years of age. This is the second massacre of Chinese by Japanese troops to take place this summer, with 600 Chinese children having been killed in July in the city of Kinhwa.

New Nazi brutalities against Jews in France are reported today, with details emerging of a "virtual pogrom" beginning on Bastille Day, during which approximately 25,000 Jews were herded at gunpoint into Prince Park and the Velodrome D'Nivier Sport Center to be processed prior to deportation to occupied Eastern territories for use as slave labor. Men, women, and children were reported to have been rounded up by brutal Nazi guards. The removal of all Jewish patients from Rothschild Hospital is reported to have been personally led by a Gestapo officer cracking a whip.

Meanwhile, the Norwegian Government in Exile reports that Czechs and Serbs have been added to the thousands of Russians, Poles, Danes, and Dutch shipped to occupied Norway by the Nazis for use as slave labor in the construction of defenses against a possible United Nations invasion. Most of those laborers are believed to be prisoners of war, forced into labor gangs, starved and flogged by brutal German guards.

A particularly awful morning for war news. We know how it turned out; it must have been overwhelming to read all this in real time and not know how it was going to end.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(2).jpg

"But only as a sideline of beauty." Ah, the tourist business.

I think the monster should get to weigh in.

View attachment 449316
("'At game yest'day was t'bunk," growls Joe, as he and Sally pause on their way into the Newark Eagles-Homestead Grays doubleheader at Ebbets Field to sign the "End Jim Crow In Baseball" petition. "I bet if we had some'a t'ese guys here, we'd a' won it." "If Joe Louis c'n be t' Champ, an'nat Jesse Owens c'n be inna 'Lympics," declares Sally, "I don' see why t'ese guys can't play inna Majeh Leagues." "Yeah," agrees Joe. "I mean, lookit us. Who eveh hoida a Lit'uanian an' a Irish gettin' along? But we do it! No reason diff'nt kinds a bawlplayehs can't. It's whatcha cawl ya Awl-American melted pot!" "I bet t'is Gibson," growls Sally, "don' strike out witta bases loaded!")

America as a giant melting pot was actually taught in schools in the 1970s - at least in NJ.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(6).jpg

("Yep, I bought it secondhand from some guy called Tiger Lilly.")

You can read the real hard-boiled version of this type of political-mob corruption story in several of the books by W. R. Burnett whose novels were turned into many well-known movies like "Little Caesar," "This Gun for Hire" and "The Asphalt Jungle."

AMERICA'S #2 HERO DOG!

"...but Tracy said he'd only be gone two days. Hmm, there's nothing to do, but, noooo, ehh, umm, say, how old are you Junior?"

Lizzie, just so that you know, Sandy is no longer speaking to you.

"Harrumph!"
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(7)-2.jpg

Meet your new best friend.

They give not only spies, but dog walkers more training than Terry got before they send them out on assignment.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_6__1942_(8).jpg

I'm getting dizzy here.

No kidding. Unless the three are standing next to each other, I can't keep them straight.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_.jpg

("What kin'a woil iszis t'be raisin' up a kid in," growls Joe, as Sally soothes a crying Leonora and Stella the Cat forages around the apartment for an early breakfast. "Itsa on'y one we got," sighs Sally, smoothing Leonora's hair. "Helluva way to stawt off her fois' boit'day," Joe continues. "Well, remembeh wheah we was a yeeah ago," reminds Sally. "Section toity-sev'n. You runnin' aroun' yellin', ol' Hilda ringin' her bell. Wan'zackly peace an' tranquility." "We gonna still have cake t'day?" wonders Joe. "Fois' tin'g afteh breakfas', we'll go downa H&H Retail Stoeh," promises Sally. "T'ey'll be cake," as Stella proudly leaps up on the bed and drops her own freshly-caught birthday gift.)

Wendell Willkie prepares to leave for Turkey today as the next stop along his route to Russia, after having toured the Egyptian front. The tour was conducted under enemy air fire, prompting Mr. Willkie to declare, "I think the Boche have been stopped on this front. What has taken place here over the past two or three days is significant -- and perhaps constitutes a turning point of the war. This is the first major engagement in which the Boche have been definitely turned back." Willkie further expressed confidence that Allied forces will stop "this fellow Rommel," but stressed that success in the North African campaign depends on a steady flow of war material.

Japanese forces stranded in the Milne Bay area at the southeastern tip of New Guinea are running short of food and ammunition, and are now fighting mere guerilla actions as the Australians mop them up. A communique from the office of General Douglas MacArthur reported that Allied planes had attacked a Japanese cargo ship southeast of New Guinea with results which could not be observed because of bad weather.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(1).jpg

(War is Hell.)

The city's men in overalls celebrated Labor Day today by working harder than ever to turn out planes, ships, tanks and guns after paying warm tribute yesterday to the Armed Forces in a rally at the Central Park Mall. A crowd of more than 75,000 paid tribute, hearing a speech by Sam Levin of Brooklyn, father of war hero Sgt. Meyer Levin. Mr. Levin, a member of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers Union, declared that he would have been "painfully grieved" if his son had died during the attack on the Japanese battleship Haruna, an attack that claimed the life of Captain Colin Kelly. "But even if he had been killed," said Mr. Levin, "I would have felt that it was worth it, that he died in the cause of liberty and freedom." Coast Guard coxswain John Cullen of Bayside, a member of the Retail Workers Union, was presented with a plaque by the Coast Guard in recognition of his work in causing the capture of four Nazi saboteurs on Long Island, "but he was too bashful to say anything."

Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Bennett praised labor today for its "unstinted contribution to the war effort," and, referring to the gains labor has made under the New Deal, declared that labor has "accepted responsibilities along with those gains," promising "closer cooperation between labor and industry" after the war, with labor "enjoying a greater share of the fruits of industry."

American Labor Party gubernatorial nominee Dean Alfange today declared that his candidacy gives voters a choice "between New Deal Progressivism and a return to the old Warren G. Harding concept of government." Speaking before a convention of the United Office and Professional Workers Union at the Hotel DeWitt Clinton in Albany, Mr. Alfange delcared his allegiance to the Four Freedoms as "my platform and my promise."

Major William O'Dwyer, former District Attorney of Brooklyn, will auction off a boxcar load of carrots tomorrow morning at the Erie Railroad's Pier 20 at North River. The carrots, donated by growers in the Bluewater Valley of New Mexico, are expected to sell for approximately $50,0000, with the funds to be donated to helping the veterans of the Bataan and Corregidor campaigns, and their families. The auction will commence at 8 AM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(2).jpg

(The "Esteilta" who stars in the nightclub version of "Of V We Sing" is Estelita Rodriguez, a Cuban dancer who is just barely fourteen years old. Watch your back, kid.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(3).jpg

(Yeah, and you don't hear "Yoo Hoo Army" jokes anymore.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(4).jpg

(Dammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammit!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(5).jpg

(C'mon, Larry, get your checkbook. Be a pioneer one more time.)

Tailor shops along Myrtle Avenue are turning away prospective zoot suit buyers , declaring that the extravagant outfits are now illegal under War Production Board clothing regulations, but that hasn't stopped customers from trying to get them. The demand for the long-coated, balloon-pantsed suits is as strong as ever, tailors say, but as one noted "too much fabric is involved, and they simply can't be bought. If restrictions keep up as they have in the past, sharpies and others of the jitterbug type will be fortunate if they can sport as much as a pair of tights."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(6).jpg

(Some Pat Ryan you are.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(7).jpg
(I expect we'll soon be in for a weenie roast.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(8).jpg

(And meanwhile, Irwin sits in the other room, morosely tossing cards into his hat.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(9).jpg

(IS THAT ANY WAY TO TREAT AMERICA'S #1 HERO DOG?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_.jpg

Well, it's better than just paving them over.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(1).jpg

Jimmy Jemail will keep doing this column until he is 79 years old.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(2).jpg

Joe feels guilty enough about having a three-day weekend without everyone rubbing it in.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(3).jpg

"You'll get a medal for this, Tippy." "Never mind the medal, gimme that deer meat!"

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(4).jpg

Good job, kid. You fooled 'em for what, forty-five seconds?

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(5).jpg

THANKS A LOT SNIPE

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(6).jpg

Andy, you self-absorbed ass.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(7).jpg

Well now.....

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(8).jpg

Emmy once had it in her head to marry Moon, which would have confused the poor kid even more.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_.jpg

("What kin'a woil iszis t'be raisin' up a kid in," growls Joe, as Sally soothes a crying Leonora and Stella the Cat forages around the apartment for an early breakfast. "Itsa on'y one we got," sighs Sally, smoothing Leonora's hair. "Helluva way to stawt off her fois' boit'day," Joe continues. "Well, remembeh wheah we was a yeeah ago," reminds Sally. "Section toity-sev'n. You runnin' aroun' yellin', ol' Hilda ringin' her bell. Wan'zackly peace an' tranquility." "We gonna still have cake t'day?" wonders Joe. "Fois' tin'g afteh breakfas', we'll go downa H&H Retail Stoeh," promises Sally. "T'ey'll be cake," as Stella proudly leaps up on the bed and drops her own freshly-caught birthday gift.)

Happy Birthday Leonora.
f07ec3226794fde792deae6697fda6a5.gif

Good to see that even in war, the professional jewel thief is still hard at work. I can't remember the last time I read about a jewel heist today other than a holdup of a merchant in the diamond district, which is a somewhat different thing. Rich people must be better at safeguarding their jewels today as you just don't read about these types of robberies anymore.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(1).jpg

(War is Hell.)

Unwrapped and dented bulk soap at a big discount, shouldn't this be something offered at Davegas, not A&S?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(4).jpg

(Dammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammit!)
1942 Dodgers +2.5 / 2022 Yankees +4.5 and it feels like both teams have already lost the pennant.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(9).jpg

(IS THAT ANY WAY TO TREAT AMERICA'S #1 HERO DOG?)

"The way he pals it up with these enemy spies, maybe he's GERMANY'S #1 HERO DOG! Did I ever tell you about the time I single-handedly sank an enemy sub?"

"Umm, single-handedly?"
"Shut up!"

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(2).jpg

Joe feels guilty enough about having a three-day weekend without everyone rubbing it in.

I was surprised Sperry gave everyone three days off. I get it is in lieu of regular vacation, but still, it seems odd in the middle of a war like this.

And if talking like the jerk in this strip today is talking makes one an enemy agent, then there have been several enemy agents at every single company I've worked at over the past 40 years.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(4).jpg

Good job, kid. You fooled 'em for what, forty-five seconds?

I'll take the under.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(5).jpg

THANKS A LOT SNIPE

It isn't her intent, but that is one brutal troll.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_7__1942_(6).jpg

Andy, you self-absorbed ass.

I generally think of Andy as self-absorbed but not mean, but that was nasty thinking. It makes you see him in a different light.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_.jpg

(Hey, here's an idea. How bout we tie "Citizen" Kuhn in a potato bag and drop him over Stalingrad? And how bout we do the same with this Hugh Monaghan of 526 Ovington Avenue?)

United States forces in the southern Solomons are steadily strengthening their offensive bases, while the dominant air force fights off Japanese aerial attacks and frantic attempts to land men. It was indicated today that Marines who landed in the Guadalcanal area on August 7th are still mopping up the scattered Japanese parties that they drove inland from the beaches in the first phase of the fighting. Reports from Allied headquarters state that Japan is losing planes at "a suicidal rate" while those planes have done little damage.

A big force of Allied fighter planes including British Spitfires flown by U. S. pilots darted across the Dover straits today to continue a daylight offensive over enemy occupied territory in which American Flying Fortresses were playing the star role. Bursts of gunfire were heard inland from the 20-mile stretch of British coastline fronting the Bolougne-Calais area. Bad weather kept British night-shift bombers grounded, but the Vichy radio reported that Soviet planes had bombed Breslau, 180 miles southeast of Berlin and 30 miles from the Polish border, for the second time within a week.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(1).jpg

("Well, Mrs. Rubin, at least you missed all the excitement.")

The Army revealed today that the unidentified plane which caused yesterday morning's air raid alarm over the metropolitan area, its suburbs, and portions of New Jersey, was in fact an American bomber. Spotters saw the plane approaching the coastline and flashed preliminary alerts, but the alert was cancelled as soon as the error was recognized. Two people died as a result of the alarm, one from a heart attack, and one from falling down a flight of stairs during the blackout. A policeman, Patrolman Edward Gallagher, age 36, was critically injured when two men he was arresting for disobeying orders attacked him, fractured his skull, and escaped into the darkness.

Borough President John Cashmore is inviting prominent Brooklyn citizens to step forward for service on a committee overseeing the borough's contribution to the big Army Relief Show scheduled for Madison Square Garden on September 30th. An organizational meeting will be held Thursday afternoon at the Hotel Bossert to form that committee and assign tasks. The four-hour show is expected to feature outstanding stars of stage, screen, and radio, with tickets expected to be sold at several key points in Brooklyn. Among the prominent business leaders already expected to join the committee are George V. McLaughlin of the Brooklyn Trust Company, Rudolph Schaefer of the F & M Schaefer Brewing Company, Major Benjamin H. Namm of Namm's Department Store, R. E. Gillmor, president of the Sperry Gyroscope Company, Henry Liebmann of the Liebmann Brewery, Brownsville clothier Abe Stark, and Brooklyn Eagle publisher Frank D. Schroth.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(2).jpg

(Hey now! Those *are* my glasses! How much for new lenses?)

The former chairman of the board of the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation has been released on parole from Federal prison after serving four months of a year-and-a-day sentence for perjury in connection with income tax evasion. Joseph M. Schenck had been given a suspended sentence after being convicted of evading taxes for 1935, 1936, and 1937, but was convicted of perjury for signing falsified tax returns. He had begun serving his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution at Danbury, Connecticut on May 2nd.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(3).jpg

(Yes indeed. Nothing says This Is The Army like a good drag sketch.)

The Eagle Editorialist reprimands his readers for their sloppy reaction to the false-alarm air raid yesterday. "The sound of the siren is a signal that lights are to be extingusihed," he scolds. "Yet all over the city great numbers of people, waking up to the siren's blast, turned on their lights as their first move." Even worse, many reached for the telephone in an attempt to find out what was going on, "when the siren should have told them that."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(4).jpg

(There's an armchair shortage because of all these generals.)

In South Plainfield, New Jersey a 56 year old man is dead following a freak accident in his home. Joseph Seaman of New York Avenue in that town was carrying a five-gallon glass jug up from his basement when he slipped on the stairs. The jug was broken, and a fragment of glass sliced open Mr. Seaman's jugular vein. He bled to death before help could arrive.

A 56-year-old Sunset Park man is being held on $500 bail on third-degree assault charges after he beat up a fellow roomer. Martin Olsen of 829 52nd Street told Magistrate John F. X. Masterson in Brooklyn Week-End Court that Ferdinand Carlsen entered his room while he slept and attacked him, blacking both his eyes. Carlsen told the magistrate he couldn't remember the encounter, and declared that he and Olsen "are good friends."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(5).jpg

(Note that for the first time since I can't remember when, Reiser has fallen to second in the batting race. He's lost more than 30 points off his average since he hit that wall. IT'S MORE THAN A SLUMP, TOMMY! ADMIT IT!!!!! Oh, and I'm willing to bet cash money that tomorrow's silhouette is our dear Fitz. And it better be flattering!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(6).jpg

(Prediction: this guy will not be defeated by guile or by force of strength, but by Bill tripping and accidentally hitting him in the head with a rake.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(7).jpg

(Point of order: in a closed environment such as this underground lair, wouldn't the fumes alone be enough to touch off a dandy blast?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(8).jpg

(Poor Irwin. You can sense the desperation.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(9).jpg

(Yeah, a mutt maybe. Some random fuzzy red mutt with dumb ears. BUT NOT AMERICA'S #1 HERO DOG!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_.jpg

That got their attention.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(1).jpg

Our guest cartoonist today is Carl Rose of the New Yorker, best known for "I say it's spinach, and I say the hell with it." Isn't that right, Adolf?

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(2).jpg
Guess who isn't getting out of this saloon alive?

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(3).jpg

Hey kid, never play poker.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(4).jpg

GIVE TIPPY HIS OWN STRIP!

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(5).jpg

"A son and HEIR!" Sure, Bimbo, rub it in.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(6).jpg

Careful, son, or you'll end up in the infantry.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(7).jpg

(Kids Today.)

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(8).jpg

There's a subtle difference between a hotel and a boardinghouse.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(9).jpg

Hopefully somebody's also making arrangements to fill in that big hole in the cellar.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_.jpg

(Hey, here's an idea. How bout we tie "Citizen" Kuhn in a potato bag and drop him over Stalingrad? And how bout we do the same with this Hugh Monaghan of 526 Ovington Avenue?)

My God did Mickey Rooney's life peak early. Frank Sinatra got his seconds.

The former chairman of the board of the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation has been released on parole from Federal prison after serving four months of a year-and-a-day sentence for perjury in connection with income tax evasion. Joseph M. Schenck had been given a suspended sentence after being convicted of evading taxes for 1935, 1936, and 1937, but was convicted of perjury for signing falsified tax returns. He had begun serving his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution at Danbury, Connecticut on May 2nd.

It's always interesting, as we do here, to see the full life-cycle of a story.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(5).jpg

(Note that for the first time since I can't remember when, Reiser has fallen to second in the batting race. He's lost more than 30 points off his average since he hit that wall. IT'S MORE THAN A SLUMP, TOMMY! ADMIT IT!!!!! Oh, and I'm willing to bet cash money that tomorrow's silhouette is our dear Fitz. And it better be flattering!)

I hate baseball.

Mrs. Fitz deeply agrees with you as she waits on pins and needles to see the silhouette.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(7).jpg

(Point of order: in a closed environment such as this underground lair, wouldn't the fumes alone be enough to touch off a dandy blast?)

Apparently, 1942 comicstrips are like 2022 America, everybody gets to have his or her own "science."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_-2.jpg

That got their attention.

It is absolutely stunning how similar the words are to today's when Presidents (of either Party) can't get what they want from Congress so they try to use executive orders.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(3).jpg

Hey kid, never play poker.

Seriously. It's like he's learned nothing from all his adventures. He's the anti-Annie. She absorbed it all and is now advanced beyond her years; he's like teflon.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(4).jpg

GIVE TIPPY HIS OWN STRIP!

He is a cute looking fella.

"Et tu, Brute?"

I forget, did these three knucklehead make off with the $50k or was that lost along the way?

Meanwhile, I assume Frizzletop is teaching Junior the ways of the world as most teenage boys aren't like Terry.
"If you tell your father what we are doing, I'll never do it with you again."
"Mum's the word."
"Alright then, remember what we talked about the last time, slow, slow, slow."

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(5).jpg

"A son and HEIR!" Sure, Bimbo, rub it in.

Andy might want to start thinking about a way to make that circus profitable.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_8__1942_(8).jpg

There's a subtle difference between a hotel and a boardinghouse.

Made me think about our old friend George Bungle.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_.jpg

("Even the Dodgers miss once in a while." Right, Mickey?)

Fighting on the western and southwestern approaches to Stalingrad reached new heights of ferocity today, with the Germans attacking in greater strength and with more more rapidity than ever, and with such air superiority that their planes cruised leisurely over Russian positions. German motorized infantry after repeated attacks on a narrow sector forced a Russian retreat yesterday on the western approach, the second retreat in that direction in the past 36 hours.

Marshal Henri Petain and Pierre Laval have been placed on solemn warning that France may suffer "convulsions" if the Vichy government attempts to draw the nation into war against the Allies. In an unprecedented indictment of the Petain-Laval regime, Edouard Herriot and Jean Jeanneney, presidents of the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, issued a joint statement declaring that "it is impossible for liberty to die in the country of its birth, from which it spread all over the world."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(1).jpg

(NOW PUT OUT THAT LIGHT!)

A Brooklyn Indian is among the local men listed as missing in the latest U. S. Navy Casualty list. Second Class Seaman Benedict Britt Rominado, a full-blooded Creek Indian known among his people as "Straight Arrow," was last at his home at 179 Sands Street three weeks ago, according to his sister, 26-year-old Princess Laughing Eyes, who has announced that she has applied for enlistment in the WAACs. Their mother said that "my boy's ambition all his life has been to join the navy," noting that the family grew up in the Navy Yard district. Rominado enlisted last March.

The Eagle Editorialist lashes out at local grifters who make a point of overcharging servicemen. "Thousands of men are serving today in areas far from home," he notes. "They do not always know local price scales. Anyone who takes advantage of their ignorance to feather their own nest deserves not only punishment but the contempt of his neighbors."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(2).jpg

("Oh, we can spare a few more than that. Look around you, man!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(3).jpg

(Thanksgiving's coming!)

A dentist who refused a commission in the Army, and then applied for a deferrment to draft classification 3-A has been convicted of draft evasion. Dr. Albert Zussman of 96 Pulaski Street faces imprisonment of 2 1/2 to 5 years after he was found guilty of the charge in Brooklyn Federal Court. Dr. Zussman refused to report for induction after his request for deferrment was denied and he was placed in class 1-A. He received his draft notice on August 7th.

In Lynbrook, police will be taking a hard line against canine violators of the blackout regulations. Police Chief Anthony Heimers announced today that his men will arrest and lock up in the village jail any dog found roaming at large during the blackout, stating that such loose dogs have proven "a nuisance to air raid wardens."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(5).jpg

(ED HEAD! ED HEAD! ED HEAD! And Fitz is sure looking svelte today. Get back on the active list while there's still time!)

A 20-year-old Manhattan man, son of a Nazi father and a Jewish mother, celebrated his acceptance by the Army today by declaring that if he has to meet his father in combat, "that's OK with me!" Henry Douglas Temple and his mother, natives of the Saarland, were driven out of Germany in 1937 after his father, an officer in the German Army, adopted the Nazi creed. "I'm able bodied," declares Temple, a silversmith by trade. "And I know all about the Nazis. They've got to be stopped. They killed my mother's youngest brother, and the first we knew about it was when they shipped his ashes back from Berlin. With people like that, what can you do but fight?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(6).jpg

("Newsreels tellin'a troot'?" snorts Joe. "'At'sa new one." "Huh," huhs Sally. "Hoist musta quit producin'm.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(7).jpg

(That's what you get for skimping on the dosage.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(8).jpg

("Now that One-Eye's REALLY in trouble! Didn't he see the NO SMOKING sign?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(9).jpg

("Well, that's that. Seem like a very nice couple. Whattaya say we go bowling?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(10).jpg

("He's not so fancy! One of those dogs that sticks his ears up so people will think he's intelligent! But HE'S NOT FOOLING ME!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_.jpg

Yeah, Darleen, flounce all you want, but you know they're only interested in your spine.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(1).jpg

Yeah, jerks! Wake up!

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(2).jpg

"Can This Marriage Be Saved?"

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(3).jpg

"Really, Junior? I didn't know you were interested in astronomy."

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(4).jpg

Printers sure are a shady lot.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(5).jpg

Ahhhh, Mama, we've missed you.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(6).jpg

"And no, I'm NOT checking out your rear end!"

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(7).jpg

Somebody in the Philippines must've hit Terry over the head really hard, because I don't remember him ever being quite this thick.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(8).jpg

"And I've learned a VALUABLE LESSON from all this, boys -- NO TABS!"

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(9).jpg

A crooked carny? Don't be ridiculous.

In Lynbrook, police will be taking a hard line against canine violators of the blackout regulations. Police Chief Anthony Heimers announced today that his men will arrest and lock up in the village jail any dog found roaming at large during the blackout, stating that such loose dogs have proven "a nuisance to air raid wardens."

"Hi, is this the police department?...Good, I'd like to anonymously report a dog that is roaming at large during the blackouts and being a nuisance to air raid wardens. He's over by the abandoned house and seems to answer to the name of 'Bo'."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(5).jpg

(ED HEAD! ED HEAD! ED HEAD! And Fitz is sure looking svelte today. Get back on the active list while there's still time!)

Thought bubble above Joe's head: "Oh boy, a picture of 'perfect Petey,' but maybe since he didn't make the tag his number one fan will let me eat my breakfast in peace. One can hope. Hmm, what's that, no double chin on Fitz, come on!" (Sorry, I'm not going to try to replicate Lizzie's incredible reproduction of Brooklynese.)

A 20-year-old Manhattan man, son of a Nazi father and a Jewish mother, celebrated his acceptance by the Army today by declaring that if he has to meet his father in combat, "that's OK with me!" Henry Douglas Temple and his mother, natives of the Saarland, were driven out of Germany in 1937 after his father, an officer in the German Army, adopted the Nazi creed. "I'm able bodied," declares Temple, a silversmith by trade. "And I know all about the Nazis. They've got to be stopped. They killed my mother's youngest brother, and the first we knew about it was when they shipped his ashes back from Berlin. With people like that, what can you do but fight?"

I've mentioned this before, but I have one grandparent who came from Germany and appears to have been all German and another who came from Latvia or Lithuania (I forget which one I was told) and was Jewish. It's a pretty good bet one side of my ancestors was killing another side in WWII. I think these stories are actually pretty common.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(10).jpg

("He's not so fancy! One of those dogs that sticks his ears up so people will think he's intelligent! But HE'S NOT FOOLING ME!")

Mr. German Spy guy better not do anything bad to Bo as, if that got back to Hitler, he'd be in trouble since Hitler did seem to truly love Blondi (in whatever warped way that man was capable of love).

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(1).jpg

Yeah, jerks! Wake up!

I'm a freedom to do as you like and take the consequences guy, so I'm against any law like that, but when I was dating back in the '90s, I knew several young women - not fancy or rich, etc. - who would avoid sitting at a bar alone to the point if we were meeting at a bar, they'd wait right outside or inside the door for me to get there. I knew plenty of women who didn't feel that way, but some hated sitting at a bar alone as they constantly got hit on and didn't like it.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(3).jpg

"Really, Junior? I didn't know you were interested in astronomy."

Original version of panel one:

"There isn't much 'else' to do around Crest Point, Junior, and since this is such a beautiful night for a walk, let's grab a short one as, at your age, we'll be back in business quickly."
"Huh?"
"You'll understand soon enough."

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(5).jpg

Ahhhh, Mama, we've missed you.

Let's cut to the chase, is the missing-chin gene recessive or dominant?

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_9__1942_(7).jpg

Somebody in the Philippines must've hit Terry over the head really hard, because I don't remember him ever being quite this thick.

His stupidity is so painful I think our side should consider shooting him because he's too much of a liability. You can't be sentimental in the war spy game.

"NOOOO!!!!!!"
milton-caniff-getting-primped-with-the-help-of-hu-shee-(comic-terry-and-the-pirates).jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Hey, whattaya doin' wittat papeh," queries Sally, as Joe mushes the Eagle into a ball and heads for the sink. "I'm -- ah -- gonna wrap up t'cawfee grouns' an' putt'm inna gawbage can. Jus' helpin' ya out." "We're drinkin' Nescafe," replies Sally, her eyes narrowing. "Lemme see t'at papeh!" "Uhhh, gotta catch my train! LOVEYABYE!"

Even though Petey doesn't make the tag, you've got to admire his form there. "The Bouncing Basque" indeed.

There is some hope for Bim and Millie's kid -- after all, Chester takes after Min. We can only hope.

I saw the documentary "Soundies: A Musical History" on TCM the other day and it argued, briefly, that the recording strike that we read about in these Day by Days earlier this year led to the decline of big bangs/orchestras/etc., and to the ascendancy of the singer or "crooner," in part, because the singers weren't part of the strike. I don't remember reading that the singers weren't part of the strike, but I guess if it's true, it could have contributed to the shift from bands to singers.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, the AF of M covered only instrumental musicians -- and they were pretty particular about the instruments. For example, novelty instruments like harmonicas and ukuleles weren't considered "musical instruments" for the purposes of membership. Those performers were under the jurisdiction of the American Guild of Variety Artists. Most singers belonged to AFRA, Equity, and/or the Screen Actors Guild.

It will become common, as the strike wears on, for singers to make records with vocal backing by choruses, choirs, or close-harmony groups instead of orchestras. Sinatra, in particular, will have a number of hit records in that type of format, abetting his rise to the top of the bobby-soxer heap.

Another tactic the record companies will use will be the judicious re-release of old records. When, in a few months, "Casablanca" features "As Time Goes By," Victor will exhume Rudy Vallee's 1931 recording of that song and have an unexpected best-seller with it.

⇧ It's another example of strikes having unanticipated ramifications. My uncle is an example of another one. He owned a hole-in-the-wall "bakery" near a subway stop where he purchased everything from a large wholesale bakery (he didn't know a thing about baking) and, basically, sold commuter bakery stuff - a muffin, a roll, etc. for breakfast and breads for the evening commuter to take home - and coffee. It was a high volume very low margin business that depended on the subway flow.

He barely kept the business going during a subway strike, but did so as he assumed his business would return after the strike, it didn't. He lost about (I'm doing this from a 40-year-old memory of our conversation about what was then a 30+-year-old event) 25% of his business even when the strike was over as, best he could tell, some of his customers either found other ways to commute or started to get their breakfast stuff near the office and not at the start of the commute. Whatever the reason, his tiny business was collateral damage of the subway strike. Once you change patterns, behavior, etc., they never come back the same way.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_.jpg

(THEY FINALLY CAUGHT THE FIREBUG! About time, it was stretching out like Dan Dunn was in charge of the case.)

Soviet planes ranged over Nazi Europe during the night, raiding Budapest, Berlin, and sectors in eastern Germany and northeastern Hungary. The Russian bombers operated as far as 1000 miles from their bases, and some quarters believe that new, secret Soviet four-engine planes were involved. The German radio broadcast a dispatch from the DNB news agency acknowledging that the Berlin metropolitan area was targeted, but asserting that no bombs fell "on the inner town." British sources stated that the target of the attacks was industrial sites, including iron and steel works, engineering factories, and rail and freight yards.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill declared today that "the present state of affairs in India, with invasion not far off," makes a resolution of the Indian question "most difficult." Addressing the House of Commons, Mr. Churchill stressed that he was speaking in general terms concerning an invasion of India, rather than hinting at any known specific moves by Japan, but also intimated that the "widespread nature of Indian Nationalist activity" suggests the involvement of a Japanese fifth column. The Prime Minister promised that "Gandhi and his followers will be kept out of harm's way until the troubles subside."

Wendell Willkie, special US envoy touring the Middle East, today expressed the conviction that Turkey will remain neutral in the war, and as an expression of that neutrality, will not permit passage of Axis forces across its territory. Mr. Willkie told a press conference upon his arrival at Ankara that he has "great admiration for Turkey's firm, unshaken, steadfast neutrality despite great German pressure."

In Georgia, Governor Eugene Talmadge lost his bid for renomination as the Democratic Party's candidate, with mounting returns in yesterday's primary election pointing to a victory for challenger Ellis Arnall, the state Attorney General. In Georgia, receiving the Democratic nomination is tantamount to election, therefore the voters' decision rejecting Talmadge for another term was considered final. Talmadge ran on a platform of harsh opposition to the policies of the Roosevelt Administration, and has faced strong criticism over "what he has done to Georgia's schools." Talmadge campaigned heavily in Georgia's rural counties, declaring that should he be defeated, "there would be revels in Harlem, and in the black bottoms of Pittsburgh and Chicago."

In Boston, a former inmate of New York and Massachusetts mental hospitals faces "exhaustive questioning" over his possible involved in the murder fourteen months ago of Frances Cochran, 19-year-old book keeper from Lynn, Massachusetts. The suspect, identified only as a 32-year-old Boston taxicab driver, was arrested in a boardinghouse room yesterday by members of the Boston vice squad who had tailed him for the previous twenty-four hours. It was stated that the man has been under suspicion for some time in connection with "sex crimes." The driver's landlady tipped off police after reporting that she had seen a woman's white shoe under the seat of his car three days after the murder. Miss Cochran's left shoe -- a white, open-toed model -- was missing when her body was found in the briars of a lovers'-lane near the Lynn-Swampscott-Salem line on July 20, 1941. The suspect has no prior criminal record, but police indicated that he has been treated at mental hospitals in Taunton, Mass. and Brooklyn.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(1).jpg

(Out of respect for this young woman and her accomplishments I'm not going to say a thing about Valley Stream State Park.)

City, State, and naval dignitaries presided yesterday at the formal dedication of the new 3000-unit Fort Greene Housing Project, with Mayor LaGuardia proclaiming the new project as "the forerunner of the end of old-law tenements in New York City." In exercises held at Public School No. 67, just a short distance from the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the Mayor declared that "I could not lie easy on my bed with the expectation that some old tenement was on fire, and people were losing their lives. We have demolished more than 30,000 city-owned multiple-dwelling buildings in the past eight years, and most of the others have been fire-retarded under constant pressure. The mayor acknowledged that due to the war, the city will have to endure the presence of the remaining old-law tenements for "a few more years," but promised a quick resumption of the city's housing reform policy when victory has been secured. Workers at the Navy Yard will make up the bulk of the tenants at the new project.

A 65-degree limit on the temperature of homes heated by fuel oil will be imposed this winter, and further tightening of gasoline rationing will be instituted, according to sources close to the Office of Price Administration. In New York, one-third of the city's taxicabs will be ordered off the streets as of September 20th, with all trips by taxicabs out of the city to be banned outright -- including even trips across the George Washington Bridge or thru vehicular tunnels to New Jersey. It is also expected that the value of gasoline rationing coupons will be reduced with the coming of fall, as officials warn that unless consumption of gasoline is sharply reduced, transportation difficulties may worsen the problem of fuel oil shortages in the northeast this winter.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(2).jpg

(I don't remember if I've seen "The Pied Piper" or not, but with this cast, I don't really need to see it -- you can tell the whole story just from that one still.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(3).jpg

(Steaks? Don't even ask.)

Reader Jerry V. Meserole endorses J. Charles Totten's recent letter deploring the handling of tin cans by the Sanitation Department, and reports he's seen exactly the same abuses that Mr. Totten criticized. "It does seem odd," rebukes Mr. Meserole, "that the Mayor cannot govern the collectors."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(4).jpg

(To say nothing of how "modern design in cigarettes" is winning the war.)

Two men said to be bookmakers are being held as material witnesses in the death of Salvatore Maggio, who was shot and killed near the intersection of Wyona Street and Pitkin Avenue in Brownsville just before the blackout on the night of August 28th. According to a police affadavit, 26-year-old Castanzio "House" Calia and 26-year-old Americo "Armee" Dipietto were "in the vicinity" at the time of Maggio's murder, and were known to have been "out looking for him" on August 15th. While the two have not been charged with the shooting, the affadavit states that that they know why Maggio was killed and who did it.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(5).jpg

("Slaughteh!" snarls Sally. "Why ainnat bum inna awrmy????" "BUM!" shouts Leonora, blowing a spit bubble and slamming her spoon on the high chair for emphasis. "BUM AWMY!" "Jeez," marvels Joe. "If I c'n get tickets, we gotta take her t't game t'is weeken'. She c'n sit wit' Hilda!")

Private Billy Conn, Pittsburgh heavyweight now in khaki, predicts he'll "box Joe Louis right off the heavyweight throne" when the two fighters clash in a benefit bout for Army relief on October 22nd, a bout expected to revive the "million dollar gate." Conn declared yesterday that "poor Joe is getting old, and I thought he looked awfully slow when he licked Abe Simon in March."

The Bushwicks will travel to Philadelphia Saturday to meet the Negro National League Stars in an arclight tilt. The Stars recently knocked the Baltimore Elite Giants out of the league championship when they split two doubleheaders with them over the weekend, and will be the same strong club that invaded Dexter Park last month to defeat the locals in a twi-night contest. Following the Saturday night game, the two squads will return to Woodhaven for a doublehader Sunday.

A 41-year-old Park Slope man drew a record fine from Magistrate John F. X. Masterson after he was found guilty of violating the blackout by failing to dim two lights illuminating a nighttime game of Italian lawn bowling. Defendant Frank DiCara of 286 1st Street protested that he didn't know the blackout rules had any application to lawn bowling, but the Magistrate snapped back "I supposed you have heard there's a war on," and imposed the maximum fine of $25 for the violation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(6).jpg

(Hah! I knew it! BRING THE RAKE!!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(7).jpg

(I wish I could be this blase in the face of encroaching immoliation.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(8).jpg

("Huh. It seems to be from Kay. Sent from Mexico. Wonder what it could be about? Oh well, time for lunch.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(9).jpg

(Give up the whiskers, Carl -- that spirit gum is gonna give you away every time.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_.jpg

You'd think she would've learned the first time.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(1).jpg

Tell it to the Germans, lady.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(2).jpg

Guess they weren't kidding about teaching military training.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(3).jpg

Guess who's about to get sucked into a water reclamation plant. Oh, and GOOD DOGGGGGG.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(4).jpg

Y'know, kid, you really should start carrying a gun.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(5).jpg

Oh, Min....

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(6).jpg

All right, go on, and just get it over with.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(7).jpg

Fish in a barrel.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(8).jpg

I have a co-worker who lives, right now, in a boardinghouse, and he says it's actually a lot like this.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_10__1942_(9).jpg

Ahhhh, it's nice to know that in these troubled times there is one inflexible constant you can still count on, and that's that Goofy is an idiot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko