Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_.jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Joe. "T'Dionne Quintuplets. 'Magine havin' five kids steada' jus' one. Mmm-mm." "Awrya even listenin'? interjects Sally. "Whattawe gonna do about 'tis? I coun'ed it, Joe. Eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs. Ma sent us eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs. Why did Ma sen' us eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs? You know how much money t'at is? You eveh even SEEN t'at much money? Lookit!" she demands, fanning the bills. "Wheah's ma ev'n GET eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs??" "Oh," sighs Joe, not looking up from the paper. "I 'magine t'eah's ways." "I don' like t'is," Sally continues. "Ma can' affoehd t'is, an' we neveh took no charity from'eh befoeh. We don't NEED it now, we'eh bot' woikin'..." "Well, look," Joe shrugs. "Why don'cha go downa Schreibstein's an' cawl 'eh up. Ask 'eh pernt blank. See what she says. I'm sueh she'll..." But whatever Joe is sure she'll say is lost to us, as he is interrupted by a sharp knock. Sally steps to the door to admit a beefy, red-faced gentleman with a crinkling smile and his derby in his hand. "Uncle Frank!" Sally greets the newcomer. "Din' expec' t'see YOU onna Sunday aftehnoon..." "Ah, me dear," charms the always-charming Francis P. Leary, "I am here on an errand, a vital errand, for your dear mother. Hello there, Joseph, how's precision parrts?" Joe makes a "loose lips" gesture and shrugs. "Of carrse, Joseph, of carrse. Now Sally, this is a bit of a delicate matter. I presume you still have the envelope deliverred to ye laaaast noight, am I right?" "Y'mean t'is one?" replies Sally, waving the $850 in a questioning manner. "Ah," ahs Uncle Frank. "Indeed thaat one." "Whassit awlabout?" demands Sally. "How's Ma got t'is kin'a money, an' why is she givin' it to us? Come clean, Uncle Frank." "Yeah," agrees Joe, trying to stifle a guffaw. "Come clean, Uncle Frank." "Well, me dear," Uncle Frank replies smoothly, "it's this way. Y'see, y' dear mother, bless her soul, had made arrangements t'have your waaaashing done over at Pilgrim Laundry, ye'see, an' she sent one of those neighborhood boys who's always hangin''round th' store overr here to pick up your darrrty things an' to deliver a note, you know, explaiining the praaaparsition." He withdraws an envelope from his inner pocket, and flourishes it in his hand. "This ennnnvelope here. Y'see, the boy who brought ye th' note was aaaalso carryin' an' envelope meant for *me*, y'see, annnd, y'see, they warrr easily confused. So if ye'll..." "Yeah," yeahs Sally, "I c'n see t'at. But what I don' unnehstan' is why Ma is sendin' YOU an envelope wit' $850 innit Seems kin'a..." "Oh, well, thaat, me dear, is easily explained." Joe is unable to suppress a small guffaw, and looks up. "Heh, jus' readin'a funnies. T'at Fritzi Ritz, whatta scream." "Aaas I was sayin'," Uncle Frank continues. "Aaas ye may know, I am th' precinct captain for the Raaagers Avenue Greater New Yaaaark Fund, and ye dear maaather collects contributions at her stoore from aaaal the haaard-workin' neighborhood folk. An' thaaaat envelope was merely the week's takin's for thaaat outstanding and waaaarthwhile cause. So if ye'll just paaaas that over here, I'll be on my way..." "Ah," ahs Sally. "Well, t'at explains it t'en. Heeh, lemme give ya a dolleh, make it $851 f'ta week, how 'bout t'at." "Verry kind of ye, darlin," smiles Uncle Frank. "Y'generosity is appreciated. "Eight-Five-One. Be sueh t'combinate," mutters Joe, not looking up from the paper. "What?" erupt Uncle Frank and Sally in unison. "Nut'n.")

American airmen have blasted Kiska and Attu again in what some observers believe may be the softening-up prelude to a combined sea and air offensive to drive the Japanese out of the Aleutians. Presumably operating from a new Amchitka Island base only 63 nautical miles distant, the Americans hammered Kiska five times on Thursday, the Navy reported. They also plastered Attu, 172 miles further west, a total of seven times. All targets were hit heavily, and at Attu, several fires were reported started. Americans occupied Amchitka Island on January 12th and completed an air base there on February 16th, beginning operations from that base against the Japanese submarine base at Kiska on March 1st. Since then the Amchitka base has originated 220 raids against Japanese-held territory.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(2).jpg

("We'll be back after we finish the Russians." That's right boys, pull the wool over your own eyes.)

Eleven leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses movement have been named as defendants in a libel suit filed by a Wisconsin attorney formerly connected with the sect, who claims that libelous remarks about him were published in the "Watch Tower" magazine, official publication of the Witnesses. Olin R. Moyle served as general legal counsel for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society for several years, operating from the Witnesses' "Bethel Home" headquarters in Columbia Heights, and alleges that after he resigned from that position, the Society's president, Judge Joseph F. Rutherford, caused "harsh criticisms" concerning him to be published in the magazine, calling him "a murmurer and a complainer." Judge Rutherford died in January 1942, and his estate will not be held liable for $100,000 in damages sought in the suit, but other Watch Tower officials, including Rutherford's successor as president Nathan H. Knorr, have been named as defendants in the case. Knorr served as Vice President of the Society when the alleged libelous articles were published. The defendants, in filing their response to the suit, submitted a document filled with quotations from the Bible, but all of those citations were ordered struck from the record, with Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Peter A. Smith stating that "scriptures cannot take the place of statutes in a civil lawsuit." The main argument offered by the defendants in their response to the suit is that they were "working for God" when the articles put forth in the suit were published.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(3).jpg

(Joe looks up from the paper, and gazes at Leonora dangling a string for Stella the Cat, and at Sally sitting on the fire escape studying her radio-theory book, and tries not to ponder the future.)

The Kings County Commander of the American Legion is calling for an end to the current trend of women wearing military rank, divisional or regimental insignia on their clothing. "It has gotten so any Flatbush Avenue car will show up with a woman aboard wearing insignia declaring her membership in the First Division," declared Commander Daniel F. Rogers. "Or perhaps a high school girl will appear with flier's wings. Another has the chevrons of a technical sergeant on her sleeve, or even the insignia of a commando outfit!" Pointing out that such insignia have to be earned by those in the service, Rogers maintains that they should be worn only by those who have actually earned the right to do so. "Worn by anyone else," he maintains, "their value is cheapened."

"Old Timer" writes to the Old Timers Page to remember "Terrible Terry" McGovern, the scourge of the Greenwood Fight Club in days long past, "the most natural fighter who ever went into the ring," and who never hurt his hands going for his opponents' soft spots. But he "contracted a malady," which first forced the cancellation of his bout with the infamous Abe Attel, and then led, in his weakened state, to his finish at the hands of Young Corbett. "Please let the Old Timers know that an invisible germ whipped the greatest fighting machine of all time."

The Eagle Editorialist salutes Mother on this Mothers Day 1943, noting that she doesn't look much like the image on the greeting cards these days -- her hair isn't white, she doesn't wear a ruffle around her neck, and she doesn't repose in a rocking chair. She's twenty years younger, and thirty years stronger, and you'll find her today holding her own in a war job in a factory, while also wrangling ration points and serving in Civilian Defense, the Red Cross, or the AWVS. And she is proud of her children in the service -- as proud, we expect, as they are of her.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(4).jpg

(Yeah, Leo had to wait until May for his first ejection, but keep in mind the season started late.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(5).jpg

("There Never Were Orgies." Of course there weren't, Lionel Atwill wasn't invited.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(6).jpg

("I didn't dig it so I can't accept it. Heh, no seriously, hand it over,")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(7).jpg

("A competent performer." Well, YOU try to play the flute with wooden teeth.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(8).jpg

(Poor J. Stemfor Pipeful. Tried so hard to get a job with Philip Morris.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(9).jpg

(I mean, you can see why Joe laughed. And meanwhile, a machine that remembers for a little while and then forgets? What possible market could there be for THAT?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(10).jpg

(Whoa, new logos today and everything. "BUT WHAT ABOUT US?" demand Irwin Higgs and Bill Biff from the sad limbo of abandoned comedy relief.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_.jpg

Summer whites before Memorial Day? Is that even legal?

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(1).jpg

Next stop, Central Park.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(2).jpg

Petrillo can't help you now!

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(3).jpg

Ha ha, Poison's real name is "Preston."

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(4).jpg

Didn't see THAT coming. Um, let me rephrase that...

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(5).jpg

You just can't count on those two-dollar permanents.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(6).jpg
Commandos in action.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(7).jpg

Gettin' old, Walt.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(10).jpg

FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION THAT DOWNWIND.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(11).jpg

"YES INDEED," declares America's Number One Hero Dog. "IT SURE WAS EXCITING TO SEE ANNIE AND PANDA SINK THAT SUB! ISN'T THAT SO, SANDY? ANNIE AND PANDA, WHAT A TEAM!"

("Hmph," hmphs Joe. "T'Dionne Quintuplets. 'Magine havin' five kids steada' jus' one. Mmm-mm." "Awrya even listenin'? interjects Sally. "Whattawe gonna do about 'tis? I coun'ed it, Joe. Eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs. Ma sent us eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs. Why did Ma sen' us eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs? You know how much money t'at is? You eveh even SEEN t'at much money? Lookit!" she demands, fanning the bills. "Wheah's ma ev'n GET eight hun'red an' fifty dollehs??" "Oh," sighs Joe, not looking up from the paper. "I 'magine t'eah's ways." "I don' like t'is," Sally continues. "Ma can' affoehd t'is, an' we neveh took no charity from'eh befoeh. We don't NEED it now, we'eh bot' woikin'..." "Well, look," Joe shrugs. "Why don'cha go downa Schreibstein's an' cawl 'eh up. Ask 'eh pernt blank. See what she says. I'm sueh she'll..." But whatever Joe is sure she'll say is lost to us, as he is interrupted by a sharp knock. Sally steps to the door to admit a beefy, red-faced gentleman with a crinkling smile and his derby in his hand. "Uncle Frank!" Sally greets the newcomer. "Din' expec' t'see YOU onna Sunday aftehnoon..." "Ah, me dear," charms the always-charming Francis P. Leary, "I am here on an errand, a vital errand, for your dear mother. Hello there, Joseph, how's precision parrts?" Joe makes a "loose lips" gesture and shrugs. "Of carrse, Joseph, of carrse. Now Sally, this is a bit of a delicate matter. I presume you still have the envelope deliverred to ye laaaast noight, am I right?" "Y'mean t'is one?" replies Sally, waving the $850 in a questioning manner. "Ah," ahs Uncle Frank. "Indeed thaat one." "Whassit awlabout?" demands Sally. "How's Ma got t'is kin'a money, an' why is she givin' it to us? Come clean, Uncle Frank." "Yeah," agrees Joe, trying to stifle a guffaw. "Come clean, Uncle Frank." "Well, me dear," Uncle Frank replies smoothly, "it's this way. Y'see, y' dear mother, bless her soul, had made arrangements t'have your waaaashing done over at Pilgrim Laundry, ye'see, an' she sent one of those neighborhood boys who's always hangin''round th' store overr here to pick up your darrrty things an' to deliver a note, you know, explaiining the praaaparsition." He withdraws an envelope from his inner pocket, and flourishes it in his hand. "This ennnnvelope here. Y'see, the boy who brought ye th' note was aaaalso carryin' an' envelope meant for *me*, y'see, annnd, y'see, they warrr easily confused. So if ye'll..." "Yeah," yeahs Sally, "I c'n see t'at. But what I don' unnehstan' is why Ma is sendin' YOU an envelope wit' $850 innit Seems kin'a..." "Oh, well, thaat, me dear, is easily explained." Joe is unable to suppress a small guffaw, and looks up. "Heh, jus' readin'a funnies. T'at Fritzi Ritz, whatta scream." "Aaas I was sayin'," Uncle Frank continues. "Aaas ye may know, I am th' precinct captain for the Raaagers Avenue Greater New Yaaaark Fund, and ye dear maaather collects contributions at her stoore from aaaal the haaard-workin' neighborhood folk. An' thaaaat envelope was merely the week's takin's for thaaat outstanding and waaaarthwhile cause. So if ye'll just paaaas that over here, I'll be on my way..." "Ah," ahs Sally. "Well, t'at explains it t'en. Heeh, lemme give ya a dolleh, make it $851 f'ta week, how 'bout t'at." "Verry kind of ye, darlin," smiles Uncle Frank. "Y'generosity is appreciated. "Eight-Five-One. Be sueh t'combinate," mutters Joe, not looking up from the paper. "What?" erupt Uncle Frank and Sally in unison. "Nut'n.")

"...I am th' precinct captain for the Raaagers Avenue Greater New Yaaaark Fund, and ye dear maaather collects contributions at her stoore from aaaal the haaard-workin' neighborhood folk. An' thaaaat envelope was merely the week's takin's for thaaat outstanding and waaaarthwhile cause. "

Dear Lord.

Eleven leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses movement have been named as defendants in a libel suit filed by a Wisconsin attorney formerly connected with the sect, who claims that libelous remarks about him were published in the "Watch Tower" magazine, official publication of the Witnesses. Olin R. Moyle served as general legal counsel for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society for several years, operating from the Witnesses' "Bethel Home" headquarters in Columbia Heights, and alleges that after he resigned from that position, the Society's president, Judge Joseph F. Rutherford, caused "harsh criticisms" concerning him to be published in the magazine, calling him "a murmurer and a complainer." Judge Rutherford died in January 1942, and his estate will not be held liable for $100,000 in damages sought in the suit, but other Watch Tower officials, including Rutherford's successor as president Nathan H. Knorr, have been named as defendants in the case. Knorr served as Vice President of the Society when the alleged libelous articles were published. The defendants, in filing their response to the suit, submitted a document filled with quotations from the Bible, but all of those citations were ordered struck from the record, with Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Peter A. Smith stating that "scriptures cannot take the place of statutes in a civil lawsuit." The main argument offered by the defendants in their response to the suit is that they were "working for God" when the articles put forth in the suit were published.

This brings to mind the famous quote about academia: "Academic politics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(7).jpg

("A competent performer." Well, YOU try to play the flute with wooden teeth.)

Good one, Lizzie.

Who'd of thought that a pig walking on its hind legs could be seated.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(9).jpg

(I mean, you can see why Joe laughed. And meanwhile, a machine that remembers for a little while and then forgets? What possible market could there be for THAT?)

mffltd.jpg

So little is new.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_9__1943_(10).jpg

(Whoa, new logos today and everything. "BUT WHAT ABOUT US?" demand Irwin Higgs and Bill Biff from the sad limbo of abandoned comedy relief.

It was in "The Godfather" that we learned even the mob considered drugs the lowest form of "business;" whereas, prostitution is just another day at the office. Heck, it's so easy even a teenage girl could run a prostitution ring.

How tough has it been for Irwin? He's been talking to "Hugh Striver" and they told him, "we'll keep your name on file."

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(6).jpg

Commandos in action.

It's a shame the scans aren't great, but even so, what an amazing job of portraying action. It's like a movie in a comicstrip.

Daily_News_Sun__May_9__1943_(11).jpg

"YES INDEED," declares America's Number One Hero Dog. "IT SURE WAS EXCITING TO SEE ANNIE AND PANDA SINK THAT SUB! ISN'T THAT SO, SANDY? ANNIE AND PANDA, WHAT A TEAM!"

"You know me, I don't care about credit or what people think about me, the important thing is the war work. Of course everyone knows I sunk that sub and the two here, but I'm happy if Annie and Panda say they did. By the way, I'm just about to sit down to a nice steak dinner, how's that Spring Fever working out for America's Number One Stupid Dog?"
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Sex sells. And in WWII the kids grew up fast but the child molesters and grammar school prostitution stories
shock me no matter how often I see them.

Rouge gave Taffy a dosage enough to fall an elephant. I am starting to like Ryan, seems a good guy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_.jpg

("Have you ever had shad roe?" babbles Mildred Kelly, as Sally listlessly regards her cheese sandwich. "It's delicious on crackers. Bud and I went to a reception in the City one time, before they sent him overseas of course, and they had shad roe on crackers, and it was absolutely scrumptious. Mmm!" "'At's fish eggs, ain' it?" Sally comments, out of common courtesy. "We don' get fish eggs much, too hawrd to crack 'em." "Oh, no, that's not....oh, that's a joke right? I keep forgetting you like to make jokes. You're so *clever* that way, you really ought to be on the stage." "Hnnnnh," grunts Sally, gnawing thru the stale crust marking the boundary of her lunch. "Are you feeling all right?" asks Mildred. "You don't quite seem yourself today." "I'm tiehed," sighs Sally. "Hawrd time gettin' use'ta t'routine, I guess." "Oh, I know all about that," replies Mildred, her head nodding as though it were mounted on a spring. "When I started here, I even fell asleep on the train going home at night! What a humiliation! I was supposed to get off at Bay Ridge Avenue, and I ended up all the way down by Fort Hamilton! Can you *imagine!* I was afraid for my LIFE!" "Mmmmh," Sally murmurs, finding the crust tough going. "Look, I know you're probably thinking 'what's your secret, Mildred? How do you keep up your energy? Well, I'll let you in on it." Mildred reaches into her overall pocket, withdraws a small green bottle, and shakes out a small white tablet. "Asp'rin?" scoffs Sally. "I ain' got a headache. Well, not one an asp'rin c'n get rid of." "It's not aspirin," confides Mildred. "Bud told me about this. It's great. Perks you right up. It's called 'Benzedrine.'" Sally looks at Mildred, at her sandwich, and at the tablet, and frowns.)

The War Production Board's Steel Industry Advisory Committee today inferentially opposed the mandatory forty-eight hour work week for the steel industry, conicident with reports that dissension in the ranks of the War Manpower Commission will result in further resignations of key officials. The committee has requested a conference with WMC chairman Paul V. McNutt "because of many operating problems created by the recent order establishing the 48-hour week in the industry." Two key officials have recently resigned from the WMC, but the intra-agency dispute over the 48-hour week has been "kept in the family" until this weekend, when WMC members began to openly discuss recent troubles that led to the departure of vice chairman Fowler W. Harper and McNutt's assistant Edith Keyes. Various officials have accused McNutt of "exceeding his powers" in enforcing certain provisions of recent regulations, and that executive director Lawrence A. Appley is under pressure from the steel industry to prepare exemptions from the 48-hour-week order that will have the effect of negating the edict before it becomes effective on July 1st.

Soviet forces driving a breach into the new Nazi defense lines nine miles northeast of the Black Sea port of Novorossisk wiped out two German companies of 400 men each with trench and mortar fire today. The Soviet communique announced the Red Army, which has been steadily pushing the Axis forces back in their narrow Kuban bridgehead in the Caucasus, destroyed six enemy artillery and trench mortar batteries.

Meat as well as potatoes may soon be procured by the city for direct sale to consumers as a tactic for defeating the local black market, Mayor LaGuardia indicated yesterday in his weekly WNYC broadcast. The possibility of the city providing meat for retail sale was only hinted at by the Mayor, but the context of his remarks left no doubt as to his meaning. "I can't tell you much about it," he stated during the broadcast, "but it isn't a vegetable and it isn't a dairy product." The so-called "white market" in potatoes, meanwhile, which started ten days ago, is going fine, according to the Mayor, as he revealed that the OPA has arranged for the city to receive another five carloads of potatoes, totalling between 150,000 and 180,000 pounds, to be sold to the public by the city beginning tomorrow.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(1).jpg

("I'll do better tomorrow.")

Two men and two women were killed in Garden City, Long Island early this morning when the sedan in which they were tearing eastward at more than 70 miles an hour collided with a heavily-laden milk truck on Jericho Avenue at Central Avenue. The dead, tentatively identified from papers and clothing tags on the bodies, were Kenneth Jones of MIneola, owner and driver of the car, Mrs. Florence Simmons of Belmore, Chief Petty Officer Bernard M. Beck, stationed at Roosevelt Field, and Emma M. Kinney of Hempstead. The milk truck was stopped for a traffic light at the intersection of Jericho and Central, and the onrushing car struck it so hard that Jones and Mrs. Simmons were instantly crushed to death when the dashboard was compressed into the front seat. The two passengers in the back seat died within seconds from multiple skull fractures. The car was so flattened by the impact that police had to have it hauled away to Mineola police headquarters where mechanics had to tear it apart to extract the bodies. The driver of the milk truck, 18-year-old Paul Hofer and his helper John Nixon, both of Lindenhurst, suffered only minor injuries. The collision sent the truck sliding fifty feet down the road, and cans of milk careening into the street. Rivers of milk flushed into the gutter as police worked at the scene.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(2).jpg

(PS: "The Ox Bow Incident" isn't actually about "the old west" at all.)

"Motorist" writes in to complain, as a lowly A-card holder, about the B and C card holders who use their cars for pleasure driving. "They are poor sports and worse patriots for taking advantage of their cards for non-essential purposes.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(3).jpg

(STILL WAITING!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(4).jpg

(I have obtained and digested the Saturday Evening Post article Parrot's talking about here, and honestly, it's a lot less spicy than he seems to think it is. Most of what's there is stuff we already knew about -- the repeated attempts to fire Leo, the wild rantings, etc. The main revelation contained in the piece is to confirm that, during that rough spell last August, MacPhail summoned the team to a clubhouse meeting and told them to their faces that they had absolutely no chance to win the pennant. But I'm glad to see that, having gotten it all off his chest in writing, Mr. McDonald is happy in his new job. Even if he does get the occasional disturbing telegram or long distance phone call in the night.)

The Bushwicks are aiming for a team record for consecutive victories after sweeping the Philadelphia Stars at Dexter Park yesterday, 6-0 and 7-5, making the Stars the third Negro National League squad to be swept by Mr. Rosner's crew in as many weeks. The Bushwicks have won eight out of their first nine games played this season.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(5).jpg

(He's a pimp, Tom. A pimp. Do we need to spell it out for you? P-i-m-p. )

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(6).jpg

(Now that Pat and Joss and Taffy have gotten away safe, maybe Connie and Stoop can come over and bail out these goofs.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(7).jpg

(Well, no, maybe one of 'em's a guy with size three feet. )

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(8).jpg

("Look, there's a dog right there!" "Dad, that's not Bo at all. "Look, kid, do you want a dog or not? We don't have all night!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(9).jpg

(I've never lived in a building where loose dogs roam the halls. Wonder what they pay for rent?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_.jpg

A science short? What, they couldn't at least put on the cartoon?

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(1).jpg

My own recipe for mac & cheese is based on the H&H version, and I can tell you that the secret is in the pepper -- a bit of cayenne and a bit of white pepper. Also, fortify the milk with a shot of cream.

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(2).jpg

CUT! Somebody tell that dog to look more intimidating! I dunno, bristle his fur or something. You know, like Mitt's beard there.

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(3).jpg

See, this is what happens when you don't hire professionals.

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(4).jpg

"Explain yourself! Who is this woman to you?" "Um, how much time do we have?"

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(5).jpg

"Ma'am, I'm just a mess asssitant."

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(6).jpg

"Tough luck, Elmer, we've got more important things to do!"

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(7).jpg

"I'd promote you, but we're full up on sergeants right now. Unless I find Bloney drunk again."

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(8).jpg

Mamie's in a bad mood because she keeps sitting on that wrench.

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(9).jpg

It's a wonder this kid doesn't weigh 300 pounds.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(1).jpg

("I'll do better tomorrow.")

"How'd your first day go, dear? Uneventful? Did you make a few friends?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(2).jpg

(PS: "The Ox Bow Incident" isn't actually about "the old west" at all.)

Our Ms. Kirby, who has had some excellent real-time calls on movies that went on to become classics, didn't swing and miss completely with this one, but she only got a piece of the ball. To this day, that movie has lost none of its bite.

Just a reminder that "Lady of Burlesque" is based on the Gypsy Rose Lee book "The G-String Murders" that we've talked about. I'm guessing the bluenoses at the Motion Picture Production Code didn't like the word "G-String," hence the awkward title.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(4).jpg

(I have obtained and digested the Saturday Evening Post article Parrot's talking about here, and honestly, it's a lot less spicy than he seems to think it is. Most of what's there is stuff we already knew about -- the repeated attempts to fire Leo, the wild rantings, etc. The main revelation contained in the piece is to confirm that, during that rough spell last August, MacPhail summoned the team to a clubhouse meeting and told them to their faces that they had absolutely no chance to win the pennant. But I'm glad to see that, having gotten it all off his chest in writing, Mr. McDonald is happy in his new job. Even if he does get the occasional disturbing telegram or long distance phone call in the night.)

Those tell-alls are still fun. When somebody has to get it off his/her chest is often the only way we learn the truth about something.

How many pitchers, ever, have hit an in-the-park home run?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__May_10__1943_(7).jpg

(Well, no, maybe one of 'em's a guy with size three feet. )

Or maybe he just likes wearing women's shoes. We've seen enough - elided as it is - in these papers to know that was going on also.

And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_.jpg

A science short? What, they couldn't at least put on the cartoon?

Clearly the Duchess wasn't paying attention at the morning briefing.

To be fair, can't say this lowers our opinion of them, but it certainly confirms it.

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(1).jpg

My own recipe for mac & cheese is based on the H&H version, and I can tell you that the secret is in the pepper -- a bit of cayenne and a bit of white pepper. Also, fortify the milk with a shot of cream.

Is the H&H version similar to Kraft Mac & Cheese or more like a homemade version?

Daily_News_Mon__May_10__1943_(3).jpg

See, this is what happens when you don't hire professionals.

This is why Murder, Inc. was in such demand, it met a market need. The best businesses are those that don't need to advertise. But now, ever since Turkus shut Murder, Inc. down, you just can't find reliable murderers to hire anywhere.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
H&H mac and cheese has a cream-sauce base, using sharp cheddar, and is very very rich. The original recipe added diced tomatoes, but I leave those out -- too much work for too little return. You bake it for 40 minutes or so until there's a nice crust on top, but there's no bread crumbs or extenders in it. As I say, it is very very rich, and one of the great disappointments of aging is that I can't eat as much of it as I want to, so I don't make it as often as I once did.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
H&H mac and cheese has a cream-sauce base, using sharp cheddar, and is very very rich. The original recipe added diced tomatoes, but I leave those out -- too much work for too little return. You bake it for 40 minutes or so until there's a nice crust on top, but there's no bread crumbs or extenders in it. As I say, it is very very rich, and one of the great disappointments of aging is that I can't eat as much of it as I want to, so I don't make it as often as I once did.

Post your recipe Ms Elizabeth please. I usually whip up a dish now and then using mac & Munsteer
cheese with Ritz cracker crumbs to which I ceremoniously throw a chaser cut chicken or tuna and diced celery.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Melt 1 tbsp butter over med-high heat, mix in 1 tbsp flour, cook till it starts to brown, stir in 1 pt. whole milk and 2 tbsp cream or half-and-half, add 2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp white pepper, 1/4 tsp powdered mustard. Cook, stirring, till it thickens. Add 8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese, stir till fully melted. Pour over casserole dish containing 1 lb large elbow macaroni, cooked and drained, stir til mixed. Bake in 350 oven 35-40 minutes until top starts to brown.

For the fully authentic H&H experience, add 1/2 cup small-diced tomatoes to the sauce before baking.

If you're over fifty years of age, eat a bowl of straight All Bran for breakfast the day you make this, just to be ready.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_.jpg

("What kinduva lawyeh would Gawd hieh," ponders Joe, sipping a pre-work egg cream, extra syrup, not so much with the fizz, as Ma Sweeney polishes the countertop around Leonora, "if Gawd needed t'hieh a lawyeh?" "Whaat's that now, Joseph?" replies Ma, her eyebrow just a bit raised. "T'is t'ing inna papeh," explains Joe. "I mean, woikin' f'Gawd, t'at''s gotta be a pretty big jawb f'ra lawyeh. T'is Covin'ton guy, he mus' be hot stuff f'ra lawyeh. Ya gotta t'ink he's, you know, tawppa t'line t'get a jawb like t'at. Not one'a t'ese hokey lawyehs ya see aroun'a neighbehoood heeh." "Ohh, I wouldn't know nothin' 'bout lawyaars, Joseph," insists Ma. "No, I've neever haad need for any of that legal counsel, thanks be." "Oh, sueh," agrees Joe. "But, I mean, 'magine f'ra moment, some lady out ta -- I dunno, Bushwick let's say -- s'pose she gets raided f'r, I dunno, runnin' a Wen'sday night bingo game a'sump'n. I wondeh if she c'd get t'same lawyeh Gawd gets?" "Yourr mind does go in interest'in directions, Joseph," sighs Ma. "Now off with ye before ye miss ya train." "Still," concludes Joe, taking one last draw from his glass, "I mean, how much does a lawyeh chawrge, woikin' f' Gawd? Reg'leh rates, a' does he, you know, kin'a bump t'ings up a bit, kin'a pad t'bill. An' does Gawd pay awn time, a'does 'e kin'a stretch it out? Y'gotta admit it's one'a t'em t'ings t'at's innehrestin' t't'ink about." "Off with ye now," chuckles Ma, "an' leave theology t' th' theologians.")

Russian infantry, advancing with the support of a heavy artillery barrage, broke thru German defenses today northeast of Novorossisk, and captured an important hill near the key Black Sea naval base. The Red Army brought up its big guns and began a systematic destruction of concrete emplacements and pillboxes deep in the Axis defenses of their Kuban bridgehead in the western Caucasus. The infantry filtered quickly thru the blasted areas. The capture of the hill marked another step forward in the apparent Soviet drive to take Novorossisk, the most important city on the Taman peninsula remaining in Axis hands.

The skip-a-year Ruml tax plan approved by the Senate Finance Committee will mean a tax increase for individual taxpayers earning $1500 to $25,000 per year, asserted a key Senate opponent of the bill. Progressive Party Senator Robert M. LaFollette of Wisconsin charged today that enacting such legislation at this time, which would allow taxpayers to skip a year's tax obligation in order to begin a pay-as-you-go tax program, "will compel Congress to raise tax rates later this year" in order to make up for the lost revenue. Sen. LaFollette submitted his arguments against the measure in a one-man opposition report, as the Senate gave continuing indications that the Ruml plan will pass. Seven other Senators have come out in opposition to the bill, but declined to join in signing LaFollette's report.

British casualties in the Tunisian campaign totalled 18,000 over the last three weeks of the drive, disclosed Deputy Prime Minister Clement R. Atlee today. The African campaign, according to Mr. Atlee, "was a practical example of Allied cooperation," with the final British First Army push into Tunis covering 30 miles in 36 hours. "It was a real thunderbolt," declared the Deputy Prime Minister, who further noted that since May 5th, 50,000 Germans have been taken prisoner.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(1).jpg

(Keep 'em flyin', kid!)

Coney Island is the only logical place in New York City for the construction of a new Aquarium, asserts Parks Commissioner Robert Moses in a letter addressed to Manhattan Borough President Edgar J. Nathan Jr. The letter, released today, comes in response to Mr. Nathan's vote against a Brooklyn Aquarium during a recent meeting of the Board of Estimate, a vote which left the matter deadlocked eight votes for and eight votes against. Commissioner Moses declared in the letter that "the new institution should be on the ocean front," and after pointing out that the limited amount of undeveloped salt water frontage in the city leaves only Rockaway, Staten Island, and Coney Island as options, and noting that transportation difficulties eliminate the first two options, "this leaves Coney Island where we have almost ideal conditions as to view, transportation by rapid transit, bus, and car parking, and other facilities." Moses argued that "Coney Island badly needs a first rate improvement which will give a new impetus to the kind of constructive recreational developments need there, in place of the cheap mechanical amusements and conventional catch-penny devices which are decaying and losing public support. The Commissioner further argued that Brooklyn is entitled to "at least one first-rate improvement" comparable to the Bronx Zoo, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Museum of Natural History.

Using a crowbar, burglars broke into a Boerum Hill drugstore last night, tearing a hole thru the wall of an adjacent apartment building in order to steal $50 worth of cigarettes, cigars, hand lotions, and other articles. Dr. David Eccles, operator of the Eccles Pharmacy at Pacific and Smith Streets, told police this is the sixth time the store has been robbed in the 60 years his family has owned it.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(2).jpg

("Oh, I'm all over that stuff now. Cowboy movies haven't been the same since Tom Mix died.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(3).jpg

(And you know, from what we see in the papers, all cops look exactly like this.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(4).jpg

(Bobby Bragan is one of the very few "catcher-shortstops" in baseball history. You can look it up. And don't get too comfortable up in Montreal, Monsieur Perroquet. It gets awful cold awful fast.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(5).jpg

(Have a look around docks, shipyards, and other neighborhoods where sailors gather. Just a hint for you, son.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(6).jpg

(Well, that's one way to be sure she won't leave town.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(7).jpg

("Um, she has this -- thing -- where she likes to -- um -- dress up in lodge regalia when we -- um -- do I have to go on with this?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(8).jpg

(Dick Tracy says to Junior, "Boy, you sure are lucky not to have THIS pill for a dad!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(9).jpg

(Fourteen really is a difficult age.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_.jpg

"Dear Mister Gable..."

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(1).jpg

It just gets worse and worse.

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(2).jpg

CUT! Can somebody make that fool dog stop grinning!

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(3).jpg

NEVER TRUST A BANDLEADER LADY! YOU'LL BE SORRY!

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(4).jpg

Settle down, Bim. She's married and so are you. So's everybody!

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(5).jpg

I'm impressed -- Mr. King must have learned a lesson from Caniff about not having a long lead time during a war.

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(6).jpg

War is Heck.

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(7).jpg

Let's see Smilin' Jack try THIS.

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(8).jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry, I mean, I just...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(9).jpg

When they gave the physicals down at the plant, Mamie did very well on the lung-capacity test.

View attachment 516213
("What kinduva lawyeh would Gawd hieh," ponders Joe, sipping a pre-work egg cream, extra syrup, not so much with the fizz, as Ma Sweeney polishes the countertop around Leonora, "if Gawd needed t'hieh a lawyeh?" "Whaat's that now, Joseph?" replies Ma, her eyebrow just a bit raised. "T'is t'ing inna papeh," explains Joe. "I mean, woikin' f'Gawd, t'at''s gotta be a pretty big jawb f'ra lawyeh. T'is Covin'ton guy, he mus' be hot stuff f'ra lawyeh. Ya gotta t'ink he's, you know, tawppa t'line t'get a jawb like t'at. Not one'a t'ese hokey lawyehs ya see aroun'a neighbehoood heeh." "Ohh, I wouldn't know nothin' 'bout lawyaars, Joseph," insists Ma. "No, I've neever haad need for any of that legal counsel, thanks be." "Oh, sueh," agrees Joe. "But, I mean, 'magine f'ra moment, some lady out ta -- I dunno, Bushwick let's say -- s'pose she gets raided f'r, I dunno, runnin' a Wen'sday night bingo game a'sump'n. I wondeh if she c'd get t'same lawyeh Gawd gets?" "Yourr mind does go in interest'in directions, Joseph," sighs Ma. "Now off with ye before ye miss ya train." "Still," concludes Joe, taking one last draw from his glass, "I mean, how much does a lawyeh chawrge, woikin' f' Gawd? Reg'leh rates, a' does he, you know, kin'a bump t'ings up a bit, kin'a pad t'bill. An' does Gawd pay awn time, a'does 'e kin'a stretch it out? Y'gotta admit it's one'a t'em t'ings t'at's innehrestin' t't'ink about." "Off with ye now," chuckles Ma, "an' leave theology t' th' theologians.")

Joe is on fire today. Ma would have a made a good boxer as she can duck and weave with the best of them.

You know Ma has a lawyer or two on, what we used to call, speed dial.

Extra syrup less fizz is the best way to have an egg cream.

British casualties in the Tunisian campaign totalled 18,000 over the last three weeks of the drive, disclosed Deputy Prime Minister Clement R. Atlee today. The African campaign, according to Mr. Atlee, "was a practical example of Allied cooperation," with the final British First Army push into Tunis covering 30 miles in 36 hours. "It was a real thunderbolt," declared the Deputy Prime Minister, who further noted that since May 5th, 50,000 Germans have been taken prisoner.

I see no mention of the fine work American ordinance teams are doing reclaiming broken-down tanks and trucks, to say nothing of shepherding around idiot war journalists.

Using a crowbar, burglars broke into a Boerum Hill drugstore last night, tearing a hole thru the wall of an adjacent apartment building in order to steal $50 worth of cigarettes, cigars, hand lotions, and other articles. Dr. David Eccles, operator of the Eccles Pharmacy at Pacific and Smith Streets, told police this is the sixth time the store has been robbed in the 60 years his family has owned it.

You'd think they would've gotten more than $50 worth of stuff, especially for all that effort.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(7).jpg

("Um, she has this -- thing -- where she likes to -- um -- dress up in lodge regalia when we -- um -- do I have to go on with this?")

Melrose: "Um, she has this -- thing -- where she likes to -- um -- dress up in lodge regalia when we -- um -- do I have to go on with this?")

Dan: "Stop, that's not important to the investigation."

Mike: "Dan, let's not be hasty, this could be a clue. So, tell us more about this 'thing' she does, does she end up in a position of, umm, let's call it, dominance?"

[Dan looks over at Mike in a way he's never looked at her before.]

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(8).jpg

(Dick Tracy says to Junior, "Boy, you sure are lucky not to have THIS pill for a dad!")

"Dad, speak up, it's a bad connection, is that you? I haven't heard from you in months - are you okay? Me? Oh, the usually, shooting some dice, the occasional dine and dash and I helped a man with a crow bar do some, uh, 'work' last night - he gave me five bucks when the 'job' was over as he said my 'take' was ten percent."

"That's great son, I'lll see you soon. Be good."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_11__1943_(9).jpg

(Fourteen really is a difficult age.)

"Silence, Egg, you bother me."

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_.jpg

"Dear Mister Gable..."

"Screw you and this miserable farm work, I'm going to see Gable today!"

"Do that and you'll never work on this farm again!"

"Really, who you going to get to do the work?"

"I'll see you tomorrow then, good luck at getting to see Gable."

"Thanks."

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(3).jpg

NEVER TRUST A BANDLEADER LADY! YOU'LL BE SORRY!

$1000 in '43 is worth ~$18,000 today. Would you commit murder for $18,000? Who are these people? It's like a Tarantino movie.

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(4).jpg

Settle down, Bim. She's married and so are you. So's everybody!

One is even married to more than one person. Bumley Gump has two wives - two women wanted to marry him, I ASK YA!

Daily_News_Tue__May_11__1943_(7).jpg

Let's see Smilin' Jack try THIS.

This is so well done it's insane. Think about how little daily entertainment people had - it's no wonder this strip was so successful.

I am sick of "Smilin' Jack's" endless Jack-and-Cindy storyline. (Especially now that Cindy has all her clothes on again.)

Caniff and King have pulled so far away from the rest of the pack it's nuts. Only Gray is even trying to keep up.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_.jpg

("Hey!" heys a startled Joe, returning home shortly before 1 AM to behold Sally seated at the kitchen table, the radio neatly disassembled before her. In the corner of the kitchen, a mop and bucket lean against the wall. On the shelves above the sink, all the cans and bottles are carefully arranged according to height. A can of paint and a used brush sit in the kitchen sink Atop the icebox, diapers rest in a neatly folded stack. Under the icebox, Stella the Cat huddles in terror. "Don' leanagainstawoodwoik," commands Sally, her words exhaled in a single intense stream without her eyes turning from the radio. "Ijuspainn'edawlawoodwoik." "Inna midl'a night?" puzzles Joe, draping his jacket and cap over the back of a chair. "Hey, shoul'nyou be in bed?" "Toomucht'do," rattles back Sally. "Itookt'radioapawrtan'Igottaputtitbacktagetteh," she continues. "Mightbesomeimpawrtn'news,do'wannamissit!"
"Sal?" queries a puzzled Joe, cautiously approaching the kitchen table. "Awr you awright?" "'Yeh,yeh" rasps Sally, turning to Joe with dilated eyes as she puts down her screwdriver."AWLDONE!HeyJoe,lessgof'rawawk!" Sally jumps up from her chair and races for the door. "Sal, whassamattehwit'choo?" yawps Joe. "It's awmos' one inna mawrnin'! We can't go f'ra wawk t'is time'a night! T'eahs muggehs out t'eah! An' drunks! An' -- an' -- SAILEHS! It ain' safe!" "Iknow,wec'nplayagame!" bustles Sally, flinging open the closet door. "Lookit,wegotM'noply,weain'playedM'noplyinages!Ohhey!Lookitt'is,lookit'ese reckids! HeyJoe,lessdance!" "SAL!" shouts Joe, getting her attention at last. Grasping her shoulders he feels her muscles tense. "WHAT IS t"MATTEH WIT' YOU!" "Nut'nsamatteh!" babbles Sally. "Ifeelgreat!Ihaddaheadacheatwoik,an'MildredKellygimmet'ispill!" "What KIN'A pill?" demands Joe. "Awhitepill!" replies Sally. "Hey,let'srassle!C'mon!" "Where'sa baby??" Joe interjects. "Wheeah'sLeonoreh!" "Oveht'ma's,"replies Sally, her eyes flaring. "HeyIknow,lessgofin'BranchRickey!Igottaboneta'pickwit''him,t'atGlossop'sabum,heneedst'getPeteyback!C'mon,don'chawannarassle?" And Joe backs slowly to the door, his mind racing, trying to figure out what to do next, but quite certain that he does not wish, under the circumstances, to rassle.)

Continuing its offensive against black marketing, the Government today cracked down against six of the city's largest poultry corporations and their 13 officers in Brooklyn and Queens who, it is charged, sold about 100,000 pounds of poultry over the past four months at prices exceeding OPA ceilings by as much as twelve cents per pound. The defendants, according to U. S. Attorney Harold M. Kennedy, covered up their overcharging of wholesalers by the general practice of falsification of bills. Named in the complaints are the officers of the United Poultry and Egg Company, Samuel Werner Inc., James Berger Inc., Krakaur Poultry Company, and Avon Western Corporation, all of which operate out of the municipal live poultry terminal at Long Island City, along with Thatford Live Poultry Inc. of 11 Thatford Avenue. All of the defendants were released on $1000 bail pending action by a Federal Grand Jury. All entered pleas of not guilty during arraignments today at Brooklyn Federal Court.

A Richmond HIll man "did not regret" murdering an Ozone Park man in front of that man's wife and children, and he would "do it again." So said 37-year-old Siegfried Welsch after shooting 44-year-old Frank Kohler in the Kohler living room on the night of March 20th. Testifying in Queens County Court, Assistant District Attorney James P. McGrattan, who questioned Welsch after the shooting, stated that the defendant had he had no regrets for the act, and would do it again. McGrattan further stated that when he asked Welsch why he suspected his wife of engaging in improper conduct with Kohler, he replied "they're both married, what do you think?" McGrattan also noted that Welsch admitted to him that he had never actually seen his wife and Kohler in a compromising position. It is expected the the case against Welsch will go to the jury this afternoon.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(1).jpg

(Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...)

Three youths face first degree murder charges, and a fourth is being sought, in the fatal stabbing of a Negro sailor in a Lexington Avenue hallway early Saturday morning. Chief Cook Hubert Alexander, home for his first leave after a year and a half of convoy duty, told police before his death at the U. S. Naval Hospital, St. Albans, that he had met the four youths "in a Negro section" of Brooklyn, and that they had visited several bars together before one suggested they call on a girlfriend. When they arrived at 309 Lexington Avenue, Alexander stated, three of the youths held him and rifled his pockets while the fourth stabbed him with a four-inch penknife. Alexander fought back, and the four scattered, taking only $1, and he staggered to the corner of Nostrand and Gates Avenues, where he collapsed. A passing taxicab driver saw him, and alerted police, who alerted the Navy. Alexander told investigators he did not know any of the youths by name, but he believed one of them was called "Clarence." At the Gates Avenue precinct, patrolmen were sent out to round up every youth in the neighborhood named "Clarence," and as word went out, indignant residents helped bring in thirteen Clarences. The thirteenth to be questioned, 16 year old Clarence Davis of 445 Gates Avenue, confessed his role in the stabbing, and named two others, 20 year old Earl Curman of 104 Lexington Avenue and 17 year old Herbert Downie of 148 Macon Street. All three confessed to the crime. The fourth youth is still being sought.

A young woman and seven sailor companions threatened to wreck a hot dog stand in the Coney Island district last night after the girl was told that "her patronage was not desired." 19 year old Ruth Flanagan of 717 Halsey Street was turned away from the Shamrock Restaurant, Henderson Walk and Bowery, by owner Joseph Bucksbaum, and responded by smashing out a windowpane, unscrewing electric light bulbs, slapping Bucksbaum across the face, and threatening him with a pocketknife. She then invited her sailor friends to "help clean up the joint." The swift arrival of the Shore Patrol, however, put a stop to the rampage, and Miss Flanagan was turned over to police, on charges of assault and malicious mischief. Magistrate John F. X. Masterson ordered her held on $500 bail pending action in Special Sessions Court.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(2).jpg

("Methel?" Shouldn't that be "Methyl?")

Mayor LaGuardia stressed today that his intention to veto to a bill passed by the City Council to allow children under the age of sixteen to bowl in public bowling alleys with the accompaniment of a parent or guardian does not mean that he is opposed to the sport itself. The bill, sponsored by Brooklyn Councilman Walter Hart, and endorsed by the Brooklyn Bowling Proprietors Association, would allow supervised youngsters to bowl at any time of day or night, and it is that provision, not the idea of bowling itself, that he finds objectionable. The Mayor suggested that a more satisfactory bill would propose to set aside specific hours during which child bowlers would be permitted to bowl. During a public hearing on the measure, the Mayor further declared his opposition to allowing children to frequent bowling alleys where hard liquor is served.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(3).jpg

(Hold onto the candy bars, they're as good as cash!)

"Skeptic" writes in to suggest that the real reason Orson Welles was rejected by the Army has nothing to do with his physical condition -- it's that the Army was afraid he'd scare them out of their wits with another Martian invasion.

Charles A. Lindbergh has officially aged out of the draft. The famed flier was reclassified by his local board at Engelwood, New Jersey from 3-B to 3-A-H, as a married man with dependents above the age of 38.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(4).jpg

(Why aren't Lanier and Cooper in the Army? Why isn't Kurowski in the Army? Why isn't Musial in the Army? Why do the Cardinals get all these exemptions? INVESTIGATE!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(5).jpg

(Not just a pimp, a SPY pimp. Let's get blackmail in there too!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(6).jpg

(Connie and Stoop rescued Elmer & compay before getting on the plane, without even breaking a sweat. THIS IS HOW PROFESSIONALS DO IT!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(7).jpg

(At least Mr. Andriola got another Cary Grant headshot to work from, but he was thinking of Jimmy Stewart when he traced it.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(8).jpg

("I'M GETTING PRETTY SICK OF YOUR NEGATIVITY DAD!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(9).jpg

(Future Page Four Story!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_.jpg

It'd be even better if they could get Bobby Clark to play Mama Rose's lawyer.

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(1).jpg

Well, OK, if that's how you feel about it.

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(2).jpg

"He's OK, George. You can put away the garrotte!"

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(3).jpg

"Report what? We never saw a plane at all." "No. We never saw a plane at all. No plane. At all."

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(4).jpg

Never mind Dick Tracy, now you've got to worry about Prentiss Brown!

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(5).jpg

"Oh Bimbo, I've been a lonely girl..." "Quiet, we've got to wrap up this other storyline first!"

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(6).jpg

War is Hell.

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(7).jpg

"Any of you guys ever been to Sicily? Just askin'."

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(8).jpg

"So, what's for dinner? Don't try ground glass, that never works."

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(9).jpg

You're gonna get an awful sunburn on your bare scalp there, kid.

("Hey!" heys a startled Joe, returning home shortly before 1 AM to behold Sally seated at the kitchen table, the radio neatly disassembled before her. In the corner of the kitchen, a mop and bucket lean against the wall. On the shelves above the sink, all the cans and bottles are carefully arranged according to height. A can of paint and a used brush sit in the kitchen sink Atop the icebox, diapers rest in a neatly folded stack. Under the icebox, Stella the Cat huddles in terror. "Don' leanagainstawoodwoik," commands Sally, her words exhaled in a single intense stream without her eyes turning from the radio. "Ijuspainn'edawlawoodwoik." "Inna midl'a night?" puzzles Joe, draping his jacket and cap over the back of a chair. "Hey, shoul'nyou be in bed?" "Toomucht'do," rattles back Sally. "Itookt'radioapawrtan'Igottaputtitbacktagetteh," she continues. "Mightbesomeimpawrtn'news,do'wannamissit!"
"Sal?" queries a puzzled Joe, cautiously approaching the kitchen table. "Awr you awright?" "'Yeh,yeh" rasps Sally, turning to Joe with dilated eyes as she puts down her screwdriver."AWLDONE!HeyJoe,lessgof'rawawk!" Sally jumps up from her chair and races for the door. "Sal, whassamattehwit'choo?" yawps Joe. "It's awmos' one inna mawrnin'! We can't go f'ra wawk t'is time'a night! T'eahs muggehs out t'eah! An' drunks! An' -- an' -- SAILEHS! It ain' safe!" "Iknow,wec'nplayagame!" bustles Sally, flinging open the closet door. "Lookit,wegotM'noply,weain'playedM'noplyinages!Ohhey!Lookitt'is,lookit'ese reckids! HeyJoe,lessdance!" "SAL!" shouts Joe, getting her attention at last. Grasping her shoulders he feels her muscles tense. "WHAT IS t"MATTEH WIT' YOU!" "Nut'nsamatteh!" babbles Sally. "Ifeelgreat!Ihaddaheadacheatwoik,an'MildredKellygimmet'ispill!" "What KIN'A pill?" demands Joe. "Awhitepill!" replies Sally. "Hey,let'srassle!C'mon!" "Where'sa baby??" Joe interjects. "Wheeah'sLeonoreh!" "Oveht'ma's,"replies Sally, her eyes flaring. "HeyIknow,lessgofin'BranchRickey!Igottaboneta'pickwit''him,t'atGlossop'sabum,heneedst'getPeteyback!C'mon,don'chawannarassle?" And Joe backs slowly to the door, his mind racing, trying to figure out what to do next, but quite certain that he does not wish, under the circumstances, to rassle.)

Now we know what Sally on Red Bull would be like.

A Richmond HIll man "did not regret" murdering an Ozone Park man in front of that man's wife and children, and he would "do it again." So said 37-year-old Siegfried Welsch after shooting 44-year-old Frank Kohler in the Kohler living room on the night of March 20th. Testifying in Queens County Court, Assistant District Attorney James P. McGrattan, who questioned Welsch after the shooting, stated that the defendant had he had no regrets for the act, and would do it again. McGrattan further stated that when he asked Welsch why he suspected his wife of engaging in improper conduct with Kohler, he replied "they're both married, what do you think?" McGrattan also noted that Welsch admitted to him that he had never actually seen his wife and Kohler in a compromising position. It is expected the the case against Welsch will go to the jury this afternoon.

"Hey Joe, I said, where you goin' with that gun in your hand?" - Written by Billy Roberts performed by Jimi Hendrix

A young woman and seven sailor companions threatened to wreck a hot dog stand in the Coney Island district last night after the girl was told that "her patronage was not desired." 19 year old Ruth Flanagan of 717 Halsey Street was turned away from the Shamrock Restaurant, Henderson Walk and Bowery, by owner Joseph Bucksbaum, and responded by smashing out a windowpane, unscrewing electric light bulbs, slapping Bucksbaum across the face, and threatening him with a pocketknife. She then invited her sailor friends to "help clean up the joint." The swift arrival of the Shore Patrol, however, put a stop to the rampage, and Miss Flanagan was turned over to police, on charges of assault and malicious mischief. Magistrate John F. X. Masterson ordered her held on $500 bail pending action in Special Sessions Court.

One is inclined to believe Miss Flanagan is a "working girl" and the Shamrock Restaurant is "not that kind of place." One also assumes some alcohol had been consumed earlier in the evening.

Mayor LaGuardia stressed today that his intention to veto to a bill passed by the City Council to allow children under the age of sixteen to bowl in public bowling alleys with the accompaniment of a parent or guardian does not mean that he is opposed to the sport itself. The bill, sponsored by Brooklyn Councilman Walter Hart, and endorsed by the Brooklyn Bowling Proprietors Association, would allow supervised youngsters to bowl at any time of day or night, and it is that provision, not the idea of bowling itself, that he finds objectionable. The Mayor suggested that a more satisfactory bill would propose to set aside specific hours during which child bowlers would be permitted to bowl. During a public hearing on the measure, the Mayor further declared his opposition to allowing children to frequent bowling alleys where hard liquor is served.

Who'd a thunk that it wasn't legal for a child to bowl with his or her parent or guardian in the first place? Why is there even a law like this that needs to be overturned? Can't kids go to restaurants with their parents where hard liquor is served? What could be more family friendly than taking your kids to bowl at Freddie Fitzsimmons Lanes?

Charles A. Lindbergh has officially aged out of the draft. The famed flier was reclassified by his local board at Engelwood, New Jersey from 3-B to 3-A-H, as a married man with dependents above the age of 38.

Is that the German draft or the American one?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_12__1943_(6).jpg

(Connie and Stoop rescued Elmer & compay before getting on the plane, without even breaking a sweat. THIS IS HOW PROFESSIONALS DO IT!)

And they did it simply cause they couldn't watch the others making a hash of the job.

If he gets Scarlet's blood, will he be able to become invisible too?

By all means, try to identify the person by seeing who comes in to have a lift put on the heel of a shoe in a shoe repair shop. Maybe invisibility is a symptom of stupidity.

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(1).jpg

Well, OK, if that's how you feel about it.

You can pretty much back into it, but I don't remember reading the letter that prompted this rant.

Daily_News_Wed__May_12__1943_(9).jpg

You're gonna get an awful sunburn on your bare scalp there, kid.

The reason so many people left farm work when the Industrial Revolution led to increased opportunities for factory and office work is because they could.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_.jpg

("Magin'nat," comments Sally, as she drains her glass. "Somebody's mut'teh -- makin' book. Whassa woil' comin' to?" She pushes the empty glass across to Ma Sweeney. "Gimme an'uteh one," she sighs. "Bromo Seltzer's no soft drink, daughter," cautions Ma as she mixes the requested beverage. "Ye wanna take care y'don't make y'self sick." "I'm awready sick," groans Sally. "On'y got two houehs' sleep las' night. T'at Mildred Kelly, y'know? T'at I went t'school wit'? Useta be Mildred McCullough? Y'know what she done? She gimme t'is pill, t'is 'benzedrine,' y'know, said it'd poik me up? It poiked me awright. Lookit, I still got paint on my awrm. I wish she'd leemee alone." "Tell ye boss," suggests Ma. "Mildred Kelly *is* t'bawss," replies Sally. "At leas' *my* bawss. It's a good place t'woik, 'cept f't'at. She's awrways flouncin' aroun' braggin' 'bout 'eh husban' t' fois' lieutenant -- FOIS' lieutenant, she awrways says -- an' about livin' in Bay Ridge an' awlat. Neveh shuts 'eh yap 'bout how she's got a sink at home t'at washes dishes, an'neh kids go to a fancy school an' awl." "A sink that washes dishes!" scoffs Ma. "Sooch nonsense! She's havin' ye on, thaat's what she's doin'. An' I'll tell ye this, Mildred McCullough got no call t'be wearin' no high hat, she doesn't. I knew her maaaahther, I did, when she was livin' in a shanty on the Old Clove Road, milkin' a goooat! Ahhh, many's the day I seen her pooshin' little Mildred wearin' a dress made out of a flour sack! And now thinkin' she's so hoi an' moity! And not only, but her faaaather sold turnips off of a wagon! No, but her foine ladyship needs to come down a peg, she does!" "Yeah," shrugs Sally, emptying her glass once more. "Anyways, I otta run upstairs an' get Leonoreh -- I wanna get t'bed oily t'night." "Ah, you do that," nods Ma. "She must be just wakin' up from her nap. Off with ye then." Ma watches Sally head up the back stairs, and then steps from behind the counter, over to the telephone, drops in a nickel, and dials a BUckminster number. "Hello? Francis?" she begins. "Nora. Hm? Oh yes, I'm still expectin' you for the night, Sally's joost leavin'. But before ye come over, I wanted you to see to a little matter for me. Do ye recall makin' a loan to a Tommy McCullough? Indeed, that's him. The greengrocer on President Street. Is he still payin'? Ah, tis a pity, such a harrrd workin' man fallin' behoind. Then don't ye think one 'a the boys ought to pay him a visit? Give him a little advoice? Indeed. Well, here's what he ought to say...")

A Federal grand jury convened by U. S. Attorney Harold M. Kennedy will tomorrow begin its investigation of black-market price gouging in poultry and other foodstuffs across Brooklyn, with a similar investigation expected also to be mounted in Manhattan. The complaint of dealers across the borough that poultry cannot be purchased at wholesale except at runaway black market prices coincides with a Federal crackdown on thirteen officers of six wholesale poultry concerns who are charged with selling 10,000,000 pounds of poultry at prices up to 12 cents per pound in excess of OPA ceiling prices. Those defendants are being held on $1000 cash bail each pending Grand Jury action. Meanwhile, a wholesale boycott by 4000 kosher meat markets across the city is expected this weekend, according to Jack Kranis, general counsel of the Federation of Kosher Meat Dealers of Greater New York. Mr. Kranis is expected to be the first witness to testify when the Grand Jury session convenes tomorrow.

One of the happiest mothers in Brooklyn as Mother's Day draws near is Mrs. James Whalen of 93 Bergen Street, who just in time for the holiday has received a letter informing her that her two sons are not only alive and well, but recently had a reunion on a North African battlefield. Corporal James Whalen, age 25, is a paratrooper who has been overseas for more than a year, while 28-year-old Pvt. James Whalen of the Quartermaster Corps has been in the Army for three years. The latter from James stated that when he landed in Africa as the fighting was slowing to a stop he began asking around and found that his brother's unit was just fifty miles away. He jumped in a jeep "and soon John and I were shaking hands." The two promised to get together once a week as long as their units are close together, and declared that "when there's a couple of Whalens" the Axis had better watch out!

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(1).jpg

(What, Pollock writing a movie review? Did Miss Corby follow Herbie Cohn and join the service?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(2).jpg

(Well, at least it isn't tripe.)

Women war workers should remember that a good foundation garment is important even on the factory floor -- furnishing the support necessary to encourage correct posture and eliminate backaches, even when one is on her feet all day. The new girdles, though lacking in pre-war elasticity, are now being made with firm panels to provide that support. In the corset department at Sears Roebuck, Beverly Road at Bedford Avenue, Miss Lynn Andrews will today host a demonstration of the new Sears Charmode Nu-Back foundation garments, which feature a patented sliding back made of layered material that enables the wearer to move freely without forfeiting support. Miss Andrews will display a wide range of corsets and brassieres made of easily-laundered material designed for posture-improving, fatigue-relieving wear.

The Eagle Editorialist denounces opponents of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses' plan for a new Brooklyn Aquarium at Coney Island as another example of the provincial thinking among Manhattanites who dismiss Brooklyn as "a strange, remote, and sparsely-populated place entitled to little or no consideration in municipal affairs." What Manhattan Borough President Edgar J. Nathan Jr. needs is "an introduction to Brooklyn," and the EE praises Commissioner Moses for attempting to give him just that. In a letter to Mr. Nathan the Parks Commissioner criticizes the Manhattan Borough President for his "extremely narrow point of view that Manhattan is the only important part of the city, and the rest of it consists of suburbs of no great consequence." Our own Borough President John Cashmore is fighting for the new Aquarium, and he deserves the warm backing of our people.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(3).jpg

(They're onto you, Joss.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(4).jpg

(Awwwwwwww, gawdblessya Fitz! And is it just me, or does he look like he's slimmed down a bit? Bowling really is good for health!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(5).jpg

(It's true, franchising is the next big thing. Just like Bickfords or Howard Johnson's.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(6).jpg

("Of course, my little boy is sixteen now. Has it really been that long since I brought them in?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(7).jpg

(Must be some pretty high-current lamps to have a switch like that. Have you looked into the new fluorescents?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(8).jpg

("And if I'm attacked by fierce woodland creatures I'll bash their heads in.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_13__1943_(9).jpg

(RUN BO! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! ANYTHING'S BETTER THAN THESE PEOPLE!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner