Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_.jpg

I hope Miss Lake doesn't read the Daily News, because whoever laid out this page must not like her very much.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(1).jpg

"Och, aye laddie. Yeeeerrrrr payin'?"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(2).jpg

"Incidentally, do you like horsemeat?"

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(3).jpg

Ahh, small town politics.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(4).jpg

Penicillin really is hard to get.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(5).jpg

"Honored bird-master?" I thought he was only a Lieutenant Colonel.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(6).jpg

NO WAY TO TELL THEY'RE AMERICANS NOW

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(7).jpg

The Daily Planet??? GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(9).jpg

I'm surprised he knows how to spell that.

Daily_News_Tue__Oct_5__1943_(10).jpg

Careful, you'll end up like Big Stoop.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_.jpg

("Thaat poor wooman," sighs Ma Sweeney, sipping her tea as she scans the Eagle. "See here, Fraancis, caan't ye do soomethin' farr her? I mean, a poor widdar -- thaar but farr the grace a' Gawd goes I." "Hmmm," hmms Uncle Frank. "785 Naaahstrand. I do b'lieve we saarvice the ploombin' in thaat buildin'. Seems t'me tharr might be some cood violations we moit bring to the attention oof the praahpar authaaarities. I'll send Danny an' Jimmy ovarr to haave a taalk with the landlaards." "No need to do anything roof," adds Ma. "Joost --- perhaaps a soobtle hint t' help'm t'see it a bettar way." "Oh," winks Uncle Frank, "Oi'm aahlways soobtle." "Indeed," chuckles Ma.)

One thousand Brooklynites pledged their obedience to ration rules and regulations during a borough-wide "Win The Home Front War" rally last night at Erasmus Hall High School in Flatbush. Borough President John Cashmore administered the pledge, accompanied by OPA officials, war heroes, and members of the American Theatre Wing who joined him on the platform to call upon the civilian population to win the war by defeating inflation. Brooklyn OPA administrator William Jagger warned the audience that "overpayment of ceiling prices or non-use of ration stamps is a blow at our government and a boost to the black market. Women who fear reporting black-market practices are sealing their own doom by spurring inflation."

Congressional sentiment for the removal of Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau increased today as a rebellion against the Administration's new $10,500,000,000 tax plan took shape among both Democratic and Republican leaders in the House. The favorite to replace Mr. Morgenthau, who has served as Treasury Secretary since 1933, is Economic Stabilizer Fred M. Vinson, former member of the House Ways and Means Commitee, and one of President Roosevelt's top economic advisors. Members of the Ways and Means Committee, who heard from Morgenthau yesterday, have delayed serious consideration of the new revenue program, pending testimony this afternoon from Mr. Vinson.

Officials of the Eastern Defense Command are reviewing the flight plans of all military aircraft to determine the identity of the pilot at the controls of the B-17 Flying Fortress that swooped low over Yankee Stadium yesterday during the opening game of the World Series. The bomber startled Mayor LaGuardia and thousands of other persons in the vast ballpark as it zoomed within 100 feet of the top of the Stadium, bringing play to a temporary halt. The plane "was not from this area," according to an Army Air Force public relations officer, indicating that the results of the EDC's investigation will be reported directly to Washington. Mayor LaGuardia declared today that if the Army fails to discipline the pilot, he will press for civil action against the Army over the stunt. If the plane had had a mishap over the ball grounds, stated the mayor, "a thousand persons could have been killed."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(1).jpg

("Hey," heys Sally. "Y't'ink if we'd send one'a t'ese t'Mickey he'd get it? Y't'ink t'ey allow Cheese Tid-Bits inna pris'n camp?" "I wondeh," speculates Alice, "if y'c'd stick a lit'l bitty, you know, gun a' sump'n innat boxa raisins?" Sally gapes for a moment, and her eyes narrow. "Do t'ey ev'n make guns 'at smawl?" "Oh yeh," chuckles Alice. "Why, when I was upstate, why, I knew t'is gal....um...t'at tol' me....she....uh...seen one once't. Inna -- um -- newsreel. She seen one inna newsreel. Yeh." "I don' t'ink we oughta try t'at," dismisses Sally. "Mickey don' know nut'n 'bout guns anyway." "No," shrugs Alice. "He -- um-- don't.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(2).jpg

("Whatcha t'ink, Stell?" proposes Joe. "Y'wanna pal?" Stella merely closes her inscrutable bright green eyes, and slowly opens them again, leaving Joe to ponder the depth of her reply.)

The Eagle Editorialist remonstrates the people of Brooklyn for their failure to register for the upcoming election. People will, he muses, "line up all night to get tickets to the World Series. They'll line up in a grocery store if there's a chance to buy butter. They will stand in line for hours to get into a movie. But there seems to be an impression that it would be a hardship to wait in line for a few minutes for a chance to register to vote as freeborn American citizens." He further observes that "Hitler says the ordinary citizen doesn't want to be bothered with the business of government. Well, are we going to prove him right by default? That's what we do when we don't vote."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(3).jpg

(Be thankful for small blessings.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(4).jpg

("The Cubs are offering 18 red points for Babe Hamberger!" Parrott's been saving that one all year.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(5).jpg

("Terror of the Seven Seas!" Actually they just called him that because he got thrown out of "Twenty Thousand Legs Under The Sea.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(6).jpg

(HEY KIDS COMICS!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(7).jpg

(No fool like an old fool.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(8).jpg

(Who do you thinkyou are, 88 Keyes?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(9).jpg

(Poor, poor Kitty.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_.jpg

Everybody blames Butch for everything.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(1).jpg

Because, as we know, Congress has nothing better to do with its time...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(2).jpg

"Dude Hennick, on the other hand ---- oooooooooohbaby!"

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(3).jpg
HA HA HA! I bet he ends up with his nose frozen off.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(5).jpg

Behind enemy lines, out of uniform -- NOTHING DANGEROUS GOING ON HERE

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(6).jpg

Tilda just heard the old boy's single.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(8).jpg

I hear his chauffeur does keep a close eye on him though.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(9).jpg

What is it with comics and women in their underwear?

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_6__1943_(10).jpg

Future MBA.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_.jpg

("Hey Joe," murmurs Sally, as the luminous hands of the Baby Ben on the nightstand point to twelve minutes after three. "You awake?" "Mmmmgrph," replies Joe, pulling the blanket tighter. "Joe, I'm scaiet," continues Sally. "I done sump'n t'day I should'na. An' I can't stawp t'inkin' about it. Joe, you t'ink maybe t'eh really is a hell?" "Huh?" exhales Joe, rolling over on his side and burying his face in the pillow. "I know," continues Sally, "t'at's prob'ly jus' awl made up, right? But what if it ain't? An' what if I done sump'n so awrful t'at maybe, y'know, I'd be in line t'go t'eh?" "Ah, don' worry 'bout it," groans Joe. "Y'd tawk ya way out'v it." "What?" "Nut'n." "I'm serious, Joe. It's gawt me t'inkin'. What if t'ez such a t'ing as what'tey cawl ya unf'givable sin? An' what if I done it, Joe? What if I done it -- wit'out t'inkin, but what if I done it?" "I guess t'at depen's," sighs Joe. "I mean, ya didn', I dunno, kill nobody a' nut'n? Y'didn' kill, I dunno, Alice Dooley, didja?" "Don' be stupid," growls Sally. "I'm serious. What if I done sump'n so awrf'l ya couldn' ev'n IMAGINE me doin' it?" "I dunno," groans Joe. "Look, it's too late t'play games heeh. Sump'n like t'at, I mean, I neveh went t' no seminary a' nut'n, but I guess it'd hafta depen' on whatcha done." "T'is was bad, Joe," exhales Sally. "T'is was really bad." "Well, WHAT?" erupts Joe, his rising voice causing Stella the Cat to awaken with a start and glare across the bed. "Today," hesitates Sally, "aw, I don' know if I c'n ev'n SAY it." "Jus' say it," demands Joe. "I..." stammers Sally, "t'day I -- um -- rooted f't' Yankees." Joe is silent for a long moment, before responding with a strangled "Oh." "Yeh," replies Sally, staring up at the peeling calcimine on the bedroom ceiling. "I couldn' root f't' Cawrdn'ls, Joe. I jus' couldn'. An'ney hadda radio on at t'plant, an' we was liss'nin t't' game, an' befoeh I knew what I was ev'n doin' -- I was root'n f't' Yankees." "Oh," nods Joe. "Not out loud a' nut'n," interjects Sally. "But, you know, in my hawrt, I was --root'n f't' Yankees." The long silence is broken only by the sound of Stella leaping off the bed, padding across the floor and into the kitchen. "Wow," Joe finally responds. "Yeh," concludes Sally. "May Gawd," sighs Joe, "have moicy on ya soul...")

A new campaign to "match the gallantry" of more than 242,000 Brooklyn men now serving in the Armed Forces with contributions of $2,100,000 to the National War Fund began in the borough last night at a dinner at the Hotel St. George. The sum, amounting to approximately $10 for every Brooklyn man now in the service, would be used to take care of their wants at home and abroad, and to assist the peoples of war-devastated areas, is the largest ever asked of the people of Brooklyn in any single philanthropic campaign. Dr. Harry S. Rogers, chairman of the Brooklyn National War Fund Committee, noted that contributions woud be divided among 17 national Allied war agencies, and locally among nine war committees including the CDVO, the AWVS, and the Defense Recreation Committee.

Reports of a showdown between Mayor LaGuardia and Markets Commissioner Daniel P. Woolley resulting in the demotion of Joseph M. Aimee from his position as director of the Bureau of Weights and Measures were branded today by Commissioner Woolley as "absolutely untrue and malicious." Woolley stated that Aimee had been transferred to a new position as director of the inmates' commissary with the Department of Corrections at a salary of $4200 a year from his former $5500 a year job as a result of a reorganization within the Department of Markets. Commissioner Woolley denied that he ever issued an ultimatum to the Mayor concerning the matter. "Commissioners of this administration," he declared, "do not issue ultimatums to the Mayor." Aimee himself refused to discuss the demotion, stating only that "if anything is to be said, the Department of Markets will say it." Aimee's new post, long vacant, is not considered a city job and is not on the civil service list, with its funding coming from the profits of prison canteen sales. The job has long been advocated for abolition.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(1).jpg

(Lot of this going on lately...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(2).jpg

("Ohhhh," grins Uncle Frank, "Oi cahhhhhled in a few favarrs, that's aaahl. I merely remoinded the good Judge Strahl who it was saawr to it laast wintarr that he got the coal grates he needed for his farrrnace...." "Yaaar a good man, Francis," nods Ma. "Boot if ye take one maaar pat o' that buttar, I'll crown ye." "Sorry, me dear," apologizes Uncle Frank, gently sliding the butter dish across the table.)

Reader A. O. writes in to Helen Worth wondering what should be done about her daughter. A senior in high school, this daughter also has a full-time job paying $28 a week, and pays $5 of that toward room and board. But the daughter doesn't think it's fair to pay an additional $3 board to help cover the cost of a cleaning woman. Helen says even $8 a week isn't enough -- the daughter ought to be paying $10 a week.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(3).jpg

(Pssst -- who says you have to??)

The Eagle Editorialist expresses outrage over the incident during Game 1 of the World Series in which a B17 Flying Fortress bomber buzzed low over Yankee Stadium, halting play and frightening thousands of spectators. "Such a stunt," the EE proclaims, "is wholly inexcusable. So far the Army claims it has been unable to trace the plane, but as soon as it knows who is responsible, proper disciplinary action should be taken."

The EE also commends Mort and Walker Cooper, the Cardinals' brother-battery, for their decision to play on despite the death of their father. "It was a tough assignment that required high courage," says the EE, "but the brothers met it and played in top form, heartbroken though they were over this personal tragedy."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(4).jpg

(No, that is not Babe Ruth filling the wartime player shortage to pinch run for the Yankees. That is young outfielder Bud Metheny wearing number 3, as George Selkirk did for many years after the Babe left the Yankees, and as several other players will until the club finally gets around to retiring the number.)

Bill Terry denied yesterday that he has been approached by Branch Rickey to take over as manager of the Dodgers. Memphis Bill, long a figure of note in Brooklyn over a certain remark he made in 1934 while managing the Giants, is in New York this week covering the World Series for a Memphis newspaper. His name has repeatedly come up whenever there is a high vacancy in the Dodger organization. Last year at this time he was rumored to be in the running to replace Larry MacPhail as club president.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(8).jpg

(There are no atheists in foxholes.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(5).jpg

(Is that any way to talk to your mother!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(6).jpg

(Lesson One to any aspiring con artist: always lock your desk.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(7).jpg

(Quick, somebody salvage those tires!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG IS PURE OF HEART. REALLY, HE IS.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_.jpg

How about we start drafting obstetricians? Maybe that'll change a few minds?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(1).jpg

Orrrrrrrrrr you could just buy from Renken's.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(4).jpg

How about a nice, I dunno, walk-in freezer?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(3).jpg

"Enemies? How deep is that lake again?"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(5).jpg

I mean, there isn't a one of 'em ever even LOOKED AT "Scientific Wonder Stories!"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(6).jpg

HE COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE A CROOK COULD HE?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(7).jpg

"Yeah, your point is?" -- Skeezix

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(8).jpg

"Now, about that GI underwear..."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(9).jpg

Well, there goes the homeowners' policy.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_7__1943_(10).jpg

Two years. I guess miracles do happen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_.jpg

("What kin' of a lousy louse would do t'at," marvels Joe. "Sellin' rocks 'n bones f'coal. Whenna t'ey gonna do sump'n 'bout rats like t'at!" "Ohhhh," ohhs Ma Sweeney, gazing innocently out the window into the bustle of Rogers Avenue, "Oi imagine wheels haave been set into mootion...")

The Senate closed its doors today for a second war report session highlighted by a disputed estimate that the United States would be spared 1000 casualties if it could get access to the Soviet Union's air bases in the Pacific. Vying for interest in accounts of the reports of the Senate's own committee of battlefront investigators were assertions that the British are building a reputation as benefactors in the Pacific using American lend-lease goods, and are sending their diplomats into conquered territories on the heels of their troops, while the United States "is not aggressive enough" in looking after its interests abroad. Senator Henry Cabot Lodge (R-Mass.) told the Senate that high American commanders like Gen. Douglas MacArthur estimate that 1,000,000 American casualties could be prevented if Russian bases could be used against Japan. Senators also heard testimony asserting that Britain has large forces of men in India that it has not used against Japan, and that the British go so far as to replace the American labels on goods received thru Lend-Lease with their own markings before shipping them on to Turkey and India.

Upstate milk is in the pasteurization tanks of Sheffield Farms today, and full home delivery of milk to Sheffield customers is expected to resume tomorrow, following the full resolution of a "sick strike" against the company by the Milk Wagon Drivers union. Both the Brooklyn pasteurization plant at 1380 Fulton Street and the Queens plant at 130-05 94th Avenue in Jamaica reported this morning that some shipments of milk had already arrived, and pasteurization workers are expected to report for duty at 3 pm today. A Sheffield spokesman indicated that all drivers reporting for work today will be assigned to the same jobs they held before the strike, but conferences are expected between the union and both Sheffield and the Borden Company over layoffs or job transfers for a total of 953 workers in accord with a recent decision by the War Labor Board. The union struck over concerns that the city's two largest milk distributors were cutting employees in order to save money at their eexpense. The companies argued that the layoffs and transfers are necessary in order to comply with WLB edicts requiring the consolidation of delivery routes in order to save tires.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(1).jpg

("I hadda innehrestin' tawk wit' Misteh G t'is mawrnin'," comments Alice. "I was gett'n ready t'leave f'woik, an'ne kin'a pulls me aside an' says 'I'm sawry f'ralla mean t'ings I say to ya since y'been livin' heeh.' He sez t'me 'I know ya doin' t'bes' ya can helpin' out wit' t'ings heeh, an'nat's what me daughteh hiehed ya t'do, an' I shouldn' say t'em mean t'ings t'you t'at I do.' An'nen he says t'me, 'I hope y'll f'give me.' Butcha know what?" "What?" replies Sally. "I can't t'ink a'nut'n mean he eveh said t'me. Canya beat t'at? He's apologizin' t'me f'sump'n he on'y t'inks he done. So I says to him, 'ya awright, Misteh G. Ya awright.' An' ya know what else? Woudln' it be a betteh woil' f'awluvus t'live in if ev'rybody done'at?" "Yeh," nods Sally, squirming on the hard wicker seat as the train hits a bump. "Lissen, Alice, I know sometimes I say..." "Ahhh, skip it, kid," grins Alice. "Ya awright too.")

Efforts to stamp out the black market laundry racket in Brooklyn will follow the appointment of a committee by the Brooklyn Hand Laundrymen's Association to meet with officials of the Office of Price Administration. In an open letter to the laundry division of the OPA, Association president John Scovell argued that conditions in the local industry are "in a chaotic state" due to "vague regulations, passed willy-nilly, regardless of whether they make sense or not." Scovell noted that recent prices lists based on March 1942 rates, submitted by wholesale and hand laundries as the basis for OPA ceilings, were all "phony," with the result that, since the OPA has no way of checking on any of these figures, black-markets are flourishing. Scovell urged the adoption of straight dollars-and-cents ceiling prices for laundries rather than the current percentage system, and that request will be considered during the committee's promised meeting with the OPA.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(2).jpg

(Awww, who doesn't love a good dog movie. Oh, and I kinda doubt that the heirs of Rudolph Schmaeling are going to be able to make that court date.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(3).jpg

(Nah, Stalin's got a full head of hair.)

The president of the Brillo Manufacturing Company, producer of steel wool located at 205 Water Street, faces a year in prison and a fine of $10,000 for violations of War Production Board orders concerning the use of steel. Company head Milton B. Loeb of 983 Park Avenue, Manhattan, entered a plea of guilty yesterday before Judge Robert A. Inch on the understanding that no allegation of moral turpitude attached to the charge. In addition to the personal penalties against Loeb, the company itself faces possible fines of up to $20,000. The defendant is free on $500 bail pending sentence.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(5).jpg

("The Series was just a specatcle, nothing to get excited over." HEY SEND OVER ANOTHER B-17 TO WAKE THEM UP!)

From Fort Jackson, South Carolina comes word that Dodger hurler Kirby Higbe has reported for induction into the Army. Hig was 13-10 for the Flock this year in 185 innings pitched, with an earned run average of 3.70.

Cardinal brothers Mort and Walker Cooper will attend the funeral of their father, 58-year-old Robert J. Cooper, tomorrow in Independance, Missouri. The two will rejoin the team on Sunday when the World Series resumes at Sportsman's Park.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(6).jpg

(Hey, you wanted to live near the sea...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(7).jpg

(NEXT TIME YOU'LL LISTEN WHEN A FORTUNE-TELLER TELLS YOUR FORTUNE!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(8).jpg

(JANE ARDEN HAS NO TIME FOR YOUR CRAP)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(9).jpg

(Well now! It's nice to see Little Face getting work again! But I gotta say, you should've gone a size down with the prosthetic ears.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(10).jpg

(Dogs can have codependent relationships too.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_.jpg

8 cents a bunch for beets? "SPPPPPPPPPPT!" says Leonora.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(2).jpg

New York's Picture Newspaper!

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(3).jpg

"Yeah, and in case anybody asks, we're the 'Camp Fire Girls' now, right? Get me?"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(4).jpg

"Are you SURE he doesn't have a hysterical laugh? What if I tickle him?"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(5).jpg

"Sorry I can't get you another vacuum cleaner this year, don't you know there's a war on?"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(6).jpg

A reasonably-drawn black man, at least by comic-strip standards. There's a New World Coming.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(7).jpg

SHANGHAIED!

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(8).jpg

Most realistic marriage in the funnies.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(9).jpg

Well, not sold exactly. Call it Lend-Lease.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_8__1943_(10).jpg

"What's all this nonsense about unsanctioned commando raids, an eight-foot giant with no tongue, and a mysterious Chinese hell-driver? Clearly the boy reads too many comic books."

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The Alexander murder trial plea was expected; although the actual knife assailant was a tender fourteen year old, and it seems severance ordered, so this pivot might have been accepted earlier before trial.
My guess here is that severance brought four lawyers together but the youngest's counsel sought to avail age mitigation but found the judge adamantly opposed any sort of leniency. The tab for counsel came high enough for bench comment, which leads billable hours question as to consider collective counsel agreement
to milk the case long enough for rate then cop plea with prosecution consent. And the bench pronounce hardly
sotto voce, with a not so subtle repartee between the trial judge and defense chairs as regards county billed
milk and honey. And his honour was openly sarcastic. This type of vicious bench banter is rather exceptional.
Admonish, simple and professionally said is more the Chinese Silk Road route march step.

London has a high knife usage amoung the criminal set that mirror reflects New York's WWII era where young
thugs take to blades for homicidal thievery. And the King's Bench or docket beset avaricious play.
Some things stay all the same.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (1).jpg

("Ten p'cent??" growls Joe, confronting Krause the super as he and Leonora descend the stoop on the way to the BMT station. "Whezee get'tat stuff?" "It ain' upta me, Joe," shrugs Krause. "Issa costa livin'." "He lives in Wes'chesteh," snorts Joe. "He c'n stanna costa livin' a lot moe'n we can! An' lookit you, you seein' any'a t'at? Whenza las' time he give ya a raise?" "Oh, it's been a few..." "Yeah," nods Joe. "Jus' like I t'ought! Izzat faieh? I ask ya! Lissen, Sid, you'n Alice Dooley t'inkin' a'gett'n married., 'm' I right?" "Well..." shrugs Krause, nervously shifting his cigar from one side of his mouth to the other. "Yeh," insists Joe. "Well, it's like t'is, t'en! You t'ink t'at's gonna be CHEAP? You seen how she EATS? You SEEN'A price 'a cawrn beef?" "But.." interjects Krause, but Joe cuts him off. "You betteh tawk t't'at lan'loehd, Sid," he declares. "He's takin' you f'ra ride!" "T'ez a wawr on, Joe," argues Krause, taking the cigar out of his mouth and jabbing it in the air to make his point. "An' if it means I gotta pos'pone gettn' married..." "HAH!" erupts Leonora. "Heh!" agrees Joe. "Hmph," hmphs Krause.)

Eleven candidates scrambling for seven vacancies on the Manhattan-Bronx ballot for Supreme Court Justice have been summoned before the Board of Elections for an emergency meeting on Monday, intended to take the necessary steps to make that ballot intelligible to the voters. The situation has been complicated by the repudiation by both the Democratic and Republican parties of their original nominee for one of the seven positions, former Magistrate Thomas Aurelio, target of a grand jury investigation ordered by Manhattan District Attorney Frank S. Hogan over Aurelio's alleged ties to underworld figure Frank Costello, who, it is charged, used his political influence to secure the Tammany nomination for Aurelio. The Democrats have since endorsed Matthew M. Levy and the Republicans George Frankenthaler for the same seat sought by Aurelio, and both of those candidates are seeking to be listed alongside Aurelio in the Democratic and Republican columns on the voting machines. Aurelio, meanwhile, has signed a waiver of immunity and testified before the Grand Jury for two hours yesterday concerning his relationship with Costello, with the understanding that any testimony given could be used against him should he face a criminal trial.

More than 100 boys in the Big Brother movement received autographs and brotherly advice from three members of the Brooklyn Dodgers organization last night as the group launched its fall activity program at the Central YMCA gymnasium. Coach Chuck Dressen, 18-year-old pitching star Chris Haugey and Dodger official Branch Rickey Jr. answered questions about their careers and how they got to the top.

A Bushwick Boy Scout who rescued an 8-year-old boy from quicksand last July was decorated yesterday by Mayor LaGuardia. Thirteen-year-old Scout Arthur Lawson Jr. of 653 Central Avenue received the Special Award Boy Scout Medal from the Mayor in ceremonies at City Hall, in recognition of his efforts to save the life of Raymond Litterello of Corona, who had become trapped in a quicksand pool in Canarsie. Lawson leaped into the pool fully dressed and pulled the boy to safety, and once on shore, applied artificial respiration until the child revived. He then withdrew from the scene as an ambulance arrived, and no one knew who had rescued the boy until another Scout discovered the story while camping with Lawson in Alpine, New Jersey.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (2).jpg

("Whattaye doin' down heer!" sputters Uncle Frank, descending into the gloom of the cellar at 503 Rogers Avenue to find Ma Sweeney picking in the coal bin with a long-handled shovel. "You know what I'm doin'," Ma snaps. "Oi'm checkin' this cooal is wot I'm dooin'!" "Ye bought thaat coal from me!" erupts Uncle Frank. "Aaaafter aaaahl these years, an' ye don't trust me!" "Aaaaaafter aaaahl these years," retorts Ma, "Oi don' trust NOBODY!")

Reader Mrs. M. K. Stoll writes in to commend the Eagle for its fine work reporting the investigation into how reputed hoodlum Albert Anastiasa managed to become a master sergeant in the Army. "I have two boys in the service," says Mrs Stoll, "and I would hate to know that someone like him was able to give them orders!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (3).jpg

("Aw, we'll be fine as long as we report any change of address!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (4).jpg

("Russo!" snorts Sally. "Heeza one broke Fitz's knee t'at time. Maybe he'll get lucky an' do t'same t'ing t't'at Lanieeh!" "I wouldn' marry Durocheh f'nut'n," sniffs Alice. "Not once, an' soitn'ly not twicet! He ain' me type." "He's shawrt," chuckles Sally, "an' he's bawld. Seems t'me like t'at's yaweh type." "Yeh," nods Alice, "but he ain' *quiet.*")

Reports emanating from the Coast suggest Francis "Lefty" O'Doul has the inside track to replace Leo Durocher as manager of the Dodgers. O'Doul, longtime skipper of the San Francisco Seals, was a favorite at Ebbets Field during his playing days, winning the National League batting title with an average of .368 while outfielding for the Flock in 1932. Branch Rickey is believed to be interested in O'Doul for his proven ability with young players, given his record with the Seals, where he groomed all three DiMaggio brothers among other youthful stars.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (5).jpg

(C'mon, enough with the B westerns already.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (6).jpg

(Shouldn't all you guys be in the Navy?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (7).jpg

(Think fast, kid.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (8).jpg

(Flo-rah!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (9).jpg

(Put down a floor mat, you're gonna ruin that cheap linoleum!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_9__1943_ (10).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG IS ALWAYS THERE TO HELP A FRIEND)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_.jpg

"I believe this court was imposed on." Come now, Judge, it's all in a days work.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(1).jpg

SO THERE

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(2).jpg

"Before we begin, Cadet, please go and change your shirt. Those sweat stains are offensive."

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(3).jpg
Job's Not Over Till The Paperwork's Done

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(4).jpg

"Certainly! Leave your ration books on the table!"

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(5).jpg

Every doctor's office has a convenient body closet.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(6).jpg

A long way from home, but somehow it's still the same moon.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(7).jpg

"Milk and coffee, oh you're so funny Andy. Did you pay off the liquor inspector yet?"

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(8).jpg

Honestly, how is it you haven't been drafted?

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_9__1943_(9).jpg

"Oh goody!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_10__1943_.jpg

("Ya don' hafta worry," dismisses Joe. "I tawked t'Krause an' he says t' coal t'at come in was awl good. Ain' nut'n t' worry 'bout." "I dunno," frowns Sally. "Krause I maybe trust a little, ,but t'at lanloehd..." "We c'n go down an' look at it if y'want," shrugs Joe. "Nut'n betteh t'do onna Sunday." "Aw, don' be like t'at," dismisses Sally. "We go down'neah, poke aroun' inna bin, won' take moeh'n ten minutes. T'en we c'n take Leonoreh out t't' pawrk a'sump'n." "Hey," heys Joe, "'ja see t'is heeh? T'ey gotta shawrtage a' shawrtage a' diapeh pins in France. How 'bout t'at?" "Yeah," snorts Sally. "Well, t'em Vichys can' do wit'out my diapeh pins, I'll tell ya t'at much! B'sides, we might need 'm." At that remark, Joe's face drains of all color. "Um -- ummmmm," he stammers. "Is -- uhh -- izzat so?" "Yeh," continues Sally. "Y'know how hawrd it is t'get buttons?" "Oh," exhales Joe. "I t'ought....um....uh...yeh, um, hey, le's go down an' lookit t'coal...")

The battle of the Solomons surged today toward the southeastern fringe of Rabaul, main Japanese base in the South Pacific, after an outnumbered and outgunned U. S. destroyer flotilla single-handedly mauled and routed a triple enemy naval force in a midnight requiem to Japanese control of the north central Solomons. Simultaneously, Australian troops comprising General Douglas MacArthur's flanking spearhead in the west raced northward across New Guinea to score the deepest Allied land penetration yet of Japanese-held territory. The Aussies captured the important trail junction village of Kesawai, only 25 miles from the northern coast of Hulon Peninsula and but 40 miles from the big Japanese staging base of Madang.

Thirty-four days before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, U. S. Ambassador to Tokio Joseph C. Grew warned the Government that "Japan may resort with dangerous and dramatic suddenness to measures which might make war inevitable." In a memo dated November 29, 1941, Secretary of State Cordell Hull noted that "the diplomatic part of our relations with Japan is virtually over," indicating that "the matter will now go to the officials of the Army and Navy, with whom I have talked and to whom I have given my views, whatever they are worth." These disclosures resulted from the publication yesterday by the State Department of the documents upon which was based the white paper "Peace and War" issued last January. Ambassador Grew's warnings were issued even as two Japanese envoys were talking peace in Washington and trying to convince President Roosevelt himself to go to Pearl Harbor for a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Fumimaro Konoye. The President countered with a proposal to hold the meeting at Juneau, Alaska, but negotiations broke down before such a meeting could be held.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_10__1943_(1).jpg

(I do wonder which short ugly word Butch has in mind.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_10__1943_(2).jpg

(SQUARE DANCING! Will Professor Dixie Walker's Sperry Gyroscope Hayloft Gang be there???)

The sounding of the shofar last night brought a close to Brooklyn's observance of Yom Kippur, most important of Jewish holy days, as the borough's Jews said prayers for the abbreviation of suffering for their oppressed bretheren in lands under Nazi control, and in memory of thousands of Jewish members of the Armed Forces who have been killed in action during the present war.

The Star Theatre on Jay Street, once Brooklyn's leading burlesque house, reopens today with a startling change in policy. Beginning with today's shows, the Star will present a season of live presentations of Grand Opera, supplemented by the presentation of motion pictures in the Italian language. The Star closed this past spring after years of police raids on its striptease presentations, and was subsequently leased to opera impresarios Carmele Moschetti and Jose Vozzi. The theatre has been completely redecorated by its new operators in preparation for the opera season. The opera company will be headed by Gilda Mingonette.

The U. S. Post Office Department is officially silent on a public auction of "undeliverable" periodicals, taking place from noon till 1 PM tomorrow in the lobby of the main Brooklyn Post Office, Washington and Johnson Streets. The newspapers and magazines have been put up in bundles, expected to sell for 18 to 20 cents per lot. No local postal official would discuss the auction other than to say that the large notices posted in the lobby "speak for themselves," nor would they explain in any way why the publications being sold were "undeliverable," or why the materials were not instead being shipped to servicemen overseas.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_10__1943_(3).jpg

(BLEAH)

Bill Terry acknowledges to Tommy Holmes that he is, in fact, "very interested" in the possibility of managing the Dodgers if he's offered that opportunity. "Brooklyn is a great town," Memphis Bill declares, "and has a great baseball franchise. The blasts I get now from Brooklyn fans would mean nothing. They're a great bunch if they're behind you." But when Tommy asks Mr. Terry if he is interested in managing the Dodgers for $15,000 a year, the figure being bandied about as likely to be offered to Leo Durocher for 1944 by Mr. Branch Rickey, Mr. Terry responds with a resounding "NO! And you can put that on the record!"

When the producers of Broadway's "Oklahoma!" needed someone to play a big, dumb, dancing cowboy they knew they had the right man when they met Lee Dixon. Mr. Dixon had bumped around show business for years, including a stretch as master of ceremonies at the Cocoanut Grove in Boston, the nightclub destroyed in a disastrous fire last year, a hitch with Rudy Vallee's touring band, and a term in Hollywood as a contract player with Warner Brothers. BUt after a string of football-collegiate musicals there, Mr. Dixon decided that the movies weren't for him and came back east. After a few roles in less-successful shows, he landed the part of Will Parker, main comedy role in Rodgers and Hammerstein's current production, and appears to be set for a long run.

"The Phantom of the Opera" opens in Manhattan on Thursday at the Capitol Theatre. A lavish Technicolor remake of Lon Chaney's 1925 success, the man behind the Phantom's mask is now played by Claude Rains, with Nelson Eddy and Susanna Foster in support.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_10__1943_(4).jpg

(Substandard entertainment outside the home??? With all these wholesome B westerns playing?)

Apologies are in order -- this week's Eagle Sunday comic section is MISSING! But hey, let's see -- Red Ryder will fall off another cliff, Private Lives probably has some ridiculous fact about the Duke of Windsor and Hermann Goering having the same shoe size, Fritzi Ritz will once again humiliate Phil Fumble, Scarlett O'Neill will go for another swim, Patti Parker will bulge her eyes as Mary Worth wonders why she hasn't come home for supper, and Dan Dunn -- well, who cares, he's gone anyway. Meanwhile, I'm calling Mr. Schroth personally to complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner