The Fedora that fits your face.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by brogue, Oct 15, 2004.

1. K.D. Lightner

K.D. Lightner Call Me a Cab

I have a rounded face due to the fact that I am overweight. Last winter I bought a Mr. Stetson in a pretty rose color. The brim was 2 inches and the hat was tall, but very soft and bashable. I wear it now and then but it does not look as good on me as the two I had custom made from Art and Steve.

What I need, with my rounded face, was a somewhat longer brim and a somewhat lower crown. Otherwise, in a 2"-5" combo, I look like someone out of a Dickens novel.

Wish there was some way to take some of that crown off and add it to the brim; the hat would be perfect, if not as well made as those crafted by our custom hat makers.

Wonder how many men ordered Mr. Stetson's in a red rose color? Sure is a nice ladies color.

http://www.stetsonmodern.com/sale.php

karol

2. For the shorter, slim gent there is always lurking the danger of wide horizontal lines. Hat brims can be just too wide! I understand what Ray says and i agree with him on the point of balance - a wide-brimmed fedora really helps the shorter man (me = 5'4" or so) wear wide shouldered jackets. And in fact, unless i'm wearing a wide shouldered jacket, i cannot wear my Stetson 15 (3" brim). It just looks ridiculous with a natural or medium width shouldered jacket.

I must say though that i have never encountered a crown too high to wear and look okay. Maybe i have a long face?

bk

3. Joel Tunnah

Joel Tunnah Practically Family

So, I guess you would never wear a fedora or cowboy hat with a t-shirt and jeans then...

It sounds like you're imposing too many restrictions on yourself!lol

4. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wore my bowler to work a few weeks ago. Nobody noticed except my friend who knows I like hats. One co-worker asked if I'd gotten a haircut. They're so inured to me and my hats that they don't even take notice.

I need a top hat! That's the only style that I'm wondering of I can carry off.

5. Not a wide brimmed fadora, no. 2-2.5" brim works okay with anything.

bk

6. DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

I feel that if you are confident and believe that you look good no one will challenge your appearance. No matter what you wear or what type of hat if you feel good in it most people will think that what you have on is normal.
    Here are a few pictures. I am 5'8" 195lb.
    6" crown /3" brim
    [​IMG]
    5-3/4" /2-5/8"
    [​IMG]
    5-1/2"/2-7/8"
    [​IMG]
    4-3/4"ish/2-5/8"
    [​IMG]
    5"/2-3/16"
    [​IMG]
    4"/3"
    [​IMG]
    4-1/2"/2-1/4"
    [​IMG]

4"/2"
    [​IMG]
    It is all in the attitude.

7. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Familiar Face

The fourth and fifth ones look the best to me.

Is that Riverside Park in the background?

8. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Great photos Douglas! I like the look with the beard ,it has a touch of Hemingway!

9. DOUGLAS

Yes #4 is Riverside Park, #5 is Riverside Blvd and #2 was taken In Japan. I can live with a Hemingway look.

10. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

Douglas, you really pull off a great variety of styles with ease. It looks absolutely effortless on your part. Kudos to you!
    I think my widest brim that I wear regularly is my Federation Deluxe. That is only abou 2 3/4". I find my peak to be 2 1/2". I have ears that stick out so I can't wear the really stingy brims either.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser One of the Regulars

Douglas, these all look great on you--what a fantastic collection you have! I particularly like the fifth one down, and I don't recall seeing it in an earlier post--what is it?

12. Cruiser

Cruiser One of the Regulars

Never mind--I found it--it is the Cavanaugh that someone cut the edge off of, right? It still is a fabulous hat.

13. DOUGLAS

Cruiser, that is a Cavanagh that had it's brim cut down. It is a great hat though.
    Ghos7, with hats like the ones you bought resently,hell I wouldn't worry about wearing a stingy. I seem to gravitate towards a 2-3/8" and 2-5/8"brim.

14. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

I bought one stingy over the summer but didn't bother taking any pictures of it. It's gray and the felt isn't bad but it ain't my look. I'll just keep it for reference purposes:D

15. Douglas, your hats are only matched by your (late) beard. It looked great on you! Will you grow it back?

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

The 60's were a sartorial disaster for the big man. As for the "Rules" of proportion, I would suggest to at least learn them before breaking them.

17. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

[​IMG]

This 60's hat looks ok with the t-shirt but wouldn't mix well with a suit (other than maybe one of Magnoli's Bond creations).
    Edit: Don't mind that my right eye looks strange.

18. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, you're basically right, but if you get a chance to catch re-runs of "Perry Mason," you'll see Raymond Burr, a monolith of a man, sporting narrow peak lapels and narrow ties and carrying them off with aplomb. He didn't wear hats much, those were left to Lt. Tragg. (played by the great Ray Collins)

Then again, there's this guy:

[​IMG]

19. DOUGLAS

Tony , I think that stingy looks pretty good on you. You are a perfect example of my point in that it is all about how you carry yourself.

Marc,I've been growing a beard every year for the past ten years or so starting every September.. It starts as a full beard then gets cut down to a kind of van dyke and finally just the mustashe with bars. It takes a couple of months for the stash to grow a respectable lenth and the full beard looks better when growing in as opposed to just the stash.In the photo that is about two and a half months of growth. It all gets cut off in early spring. Sometimes I will leave the Mustache for a bit longer and slowly cut it down.

Ghos7 , I don't see any thing strange with your eye. The hat looks fine.

20. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

:D Yes!

deadlyhandsome likes this.