Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bucket Head questions

bigdumbhick

New in Town
Recently I was on my honeymoon (we have been married for 22 years, but no need to rush into these things) in Charleston, SC and stumbled upon Goorin Bros. I found a hat in there that I liked; a XXL, crushable, wool, pinch front, 4" C crown fedora with a 2" brim called The Doctor. I needed a Doctor after I saw the price tag of $140. I had it, but if I would have spent it, that was $140 that I would not have had to spend on my wife and although I may look like a bigdumbhick, I'm not THAT dumb.

I guess I should explain the bigdumbhick thing. I'm 6'7", weigh 300+, long hair, long beard and usually wear bib overalls. First impressions and all of that.

Anyway, once we got back home I searched the internet for a suitable equivalent, but quickly became lost, dazed, and confused (and distracted by women too poor to afford proper clothing.)

I'm having trouble making a decision. I'm rough on hats. I'm rough on everything. If I lay hands on it, it's going to break. Somethings I am no longer allowed to touch; My wife's collectables, my wife's laptop, my wife, ...you get the idea.

The crushable hat appeals to me but $140 seems like an excessive amount of money for a crushable wool hat. For that kind of money I can buy a fur felt Stetson Stratoliner, or one of the other 15 Stetson models that I can't tell the difference from a Stratoliner. Even if you people tell me that Goorin is the hot buttered toast of hatmaking, and $140 is a deal, right now that doesn't matter because their website says they have sold out of the black XXl.

I'm leery of mail order, but there are no hat shops within 100 miles of me other than Western Wear stores. I've been searching EBay for hats but there seems to be a shortage of full growed man sized hats (7 7/8). The Stetson Stratoliner maxes out at a 7 3/4 but I never see anything vintage in that size. It seems that in the 40's and 50's the nation was populated only by children and children sized adults.

Hmmm, If I went with a new Stratoliner, I bet I could get away with a 7 3/4 and do a little work with a hat stretcher. No way I could break one of those...again.

Any other Buckethead individuals here? Where do you find hats? Is $140 a decent price for a Goorin Crushable Wool Fedora? Is there a suitable equivalent to the Goorin The Doctor hat? Would I be better off with the Stratoliner? Is there a vintage source for the Full Growed Man? I will grateful accept most any direction that does not involve me having to get a haircut, shave my face, or give up my bibs.

Thank you
Jeff

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Here is a note from Delmonico's that I received yesterday regarding more manly Size 8 Stratoliner's:

...The standard Stratoliner is now available in Size 8, we have not yet added it to our website, we will add it soon.
The Stetsonian is not listed for Size 8, but we should be able to get it made for you....

Also take a look at https://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19, they just restocked Campdraft's in size 63cm. Quite a bargain at $90 plus shipping.

Moreover, (and correct me, someone, if I'm wrong) don't Stetsons run generously on sizing? You may be pleasantly surprised.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Is $140 a decent price for a Goorin Crushable Wool Fedora?
Only if your getting two of them for that price.
Don't bother with wool, go with Akubra.

Last edited:

bartcubb

New in Town
I agree with those who say a fur felt hat is a better investment, but if you really want a wool fedora in XXL, you should be able to find one for far less than $140. Perhaps take a look at the Bailey or Jaxon brand hats at the Village Hat Shop?

frussell

One Too Many
I'm right in your size range (hat and physical size) bdh, and I'd go for an Akubra Campdraft, especially if you're hard on your hats. Hatsdirect will often go up to an 8 (64), and usually has 7 7/8 (63) in stock. If you don't mind a 3 month wait, Everything Australian is several dollars cheaper. Strike now while the Aussie dollar is weak. Forget wool, it's a pain, and you'll end up with a floppy mess if it gets wet. PM me if you are interested in a Moonstone Fed IV or Bluegrass Green Campdraft in your size. I might thin out my collection, and have a new Campdraft coming in a few months. Frank.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
First, let me add to the chorus in favor of Akubras over the wool Goorin. Woolies don't hold up and should never cost anywhere near that price. For the same $ you could have an Akubra that is stylish and nearly indestructible.

Second, I can't believe no one else has mentioned it, but I love your sense of humor and the witty way you write!

One more point: even if you aren't interested in cowboy hats, a visit to the Western wear shop might be useful for trying on hats to confirm your size. Although a good tape measure will do the trick as well. And you are right that vintage hats are more plentiful in the smaller sizes.

Happy hunting.

bigdumbhick

New in Town
The Akubra Campdraft looks promising.I like the smaller hatband. I'm concerned about the higher crown and wish I could try one on first.

I had my wife measure my head and it works out to 62.5cm / 24 1/4". Hats Direct only shows the CD in sizes up to 62. I'm not sure about that BG color I'd prefer Silverbelly, Black, or the Dark Gray but really, really don't want to wait 3 months for delivery. In fact, I'd like to have a hat by next weekend...or last weekend. I guess I need to email customer service and ask questions.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I first started getting into hats, I preferred the smaller crowns, but now 4.5 in. iis about my minimum. The larger crown gives you much more room to personalize your hat and play with the look until you figure out what suits you. I have a large, square head (been called a blockhead) and look awful with a slant in the crown or a small brim.

bigdumbhick

New in Town
I checked with Hats Direct & EA about availability of Sz 63 Campdraft. EA only had the Bluegrass in stock in that size. Trudi at Hats Direct told me she had a Silverbelly, a Moonstone and a Glen Grey in 63, but that they were closing out the Glen Grey SO SHE COULD LET ME HAVE IT FOR $100 USD. I really like the Silverbelly, I originally wanted it in Black. I figure the Grey is a good compromise and with it being on sale it was a lot easier to justify with the wife. I made the order and within about an hour I received an email from Hats Direct telling me that it was on its way!

I got to thinking, what are you going to do come Summer? You know that hat is going to be hotter than 8 kinds of hammered Hell. That hat is going to cook your brains into pate.

Since I had saved some money on the Camp Draft I went exploring on Panama Bob's site. I learned some stuff. At around 10pm, I sent a text to the number on his website asking a question and had a response back in about 10 minutes. We texted back and forth for the next 10 minutes and I ordered one of his cheapo sale hats ($40 with shipping) That's about the price of a Cheapo Chinese made Cowboy hat around here and I can tell the wife it's for charity - that I am supporting s starving artist, one who is trying to preserve a dieing artform - that I am actually helping some poor old indigenous woman hat weaver not have to sell her soul to some giant faceless corporation. Actually I can tell the wife that I spent the money on strippers and cocaine and it will get the same reaction. She doesn't listen to anything I say anymore.

Thanks for everybody's help. Thanks to Trudi at Hats Direct for answering my questions. Thanks to Panama Bob for responding to my annoying text messages.

Trudi says she has ONE Glen Grey Camp Draft left. Size 56. $100 AUD

89quattro

One of the Regulars
I'm right in your size range (hat and physical size) bdh, and I'd go for an Akubra Campdraft, especially if you're hard on your hats. Hatsdirect will often go up to an 8 (64), and usually has 7 7/8 (63) in stock. If you don't mind a 3 month wait, Everything Australian is several dollars cheaper. Strike now while the Aussie dollar is weak. Forget wool, it's a pain, and you'll end up with a floppy mess if it gets wet. PM me if you are interested in a Moonstone Fed IV or Bluegrass Green Campdraft in your size. I might thin out my collection, and have a new Campdraft coming in a few months. Frank.

Frank - tried to reach you via PM but you inbox is full. I'm interested in the 63 cm campdraft, let me know if you are looking to move it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner