Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

up196

A-List Customer
Filson customer service

I had a Feather Cloth shirt that I had been wearing for work. After about 16 months, one of the elbows gave out, so I called Filson about having it shortened to a short sleeve. The service rep and I talked about it and he asked if I was satisfied with the service I'd gotten out of the shirt. We talked some more and the topic kept going back to "Are you satisfied . . . wink, wink . . . nudge,nudge?" When I actually said the words "No I'm not," he said "Well if you're not satisfied, send it back and we'll either repair it or send you a new one." The new shirt arrived shortly. Replace a shirt after nearly a year and a half of use in a railroad yard? You can't beat service like that!

kenji

New in Town
My filsons

I have both single and double cruisers and I can't say enough nice things about them. Even the single is warm enough for most Northeast winter weather. I have yet to feel cold (around the torso) in my double. They are nice for city wear, too. I get lots of complements, especially on the double in charcoal. It has a nice layered look which goes well with my small frame. The design is ingenious. The wool is composed of visibly longer strands than I see on most wool garments. It is rough against bare skin, though, so I like to wear a turtleneck or upturned collar around my neck. I have my eye on a tin cloth jacket for rainy days.

That said, I don't really know how to objectively assess clothing quality. Any pointers on specific markers of quality to look for? I'd like to be sure I'm not just being swayed by good marketing.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
kenji said:
I have both single and double cruisers and I can't say enough nice things about them. Even the single is warm enough for most Northeast winter weather. I have yet to feel cold (around the torso) in my double. They are nice for city wear, too. I get lots of complements, especially on the double in charcoal. It has a nice layered look which goes well with my small frame. The design is ingenious. The wool is composed of visibly longer strands than I see on most wool garments. It is rough against bare skin, though, so I like to wear a turtleneck or upturned collar around my neck. I have my eye on a tin cloth jacket for rainy days.

That said, I don't really know how to objectively assess clothing quality. Any pointers on specific markers of quality to look for? I'd like to be sure I'm not just being swayed by good marketing.
I personally can't say enough about Filson. A sweater of theirs I bought almost 15 years ago still looks good as new, and it's been used almost every day of every winter season. I find their Jac-Shirt even is warm enough for Northwest winters. It's uncanny how city folks pick up on what nice garments they are. I was in my hometown of NYC once, wearing one of their mackinaw vests, and I had a waitress who would not leave me alone about how nice she thought it was. I said, "They outfitted folks for the Klondike gold rush," and she looked at me blankly. The cruisers, especially in a spiffy color like gray or black, easily fit in in both urban and country settings. The only thing I'd say is that Filson makes American clothes--not at all trim or tapered or fitted. Extra room everywhere for the American in all of us.

LeeB

Familiar Face
How about Filson?

Simply said, Filson makes the best outdoor gear out there. I have a number of Filson items that I wear for all outdoor pursuits and on a daily basis. I have never gotten wet in a rainstorm wearing my shelter cloth coat and my Mackinaw vest is worn daily once the weather starts to cool. Their Mackinaw coat is the best cold weather coat out there. Even when I go backbacking, I'd rather have the heavier Filson clothing than the flimsy fleece and nylon gear that most prefer.
And this stuff lasts. I've had most of my Filson items for about ten years and they are still going strong. Even after all the punishment I put them thru.

The cost is expensive up front, but you won't be buying a new item every year because it has worn out.

rumblefish

One Too Many
All my hunting gear just got put away for the season. This fall a bought a pair of Flison's shelter cloth brush pants, and used them a least a dozen times for small game. These look like they'll last a long time. All the nylon faced pants I've owned are so badly damaged I'm ashamed to let the fauna see me in them:eek:
The Filson double tin pants I've been using for many years have gotten that aged leather look and are still going strong, but I only use them three or four times a year for big game. Double tin is better for a lot of sitting and waiting, they're a bit heavier.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I hae one of the sweaters and it is now about 10 yrs old. It is jst now starting to look old! At this rate my son will be wearing it long after I am goine!

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Here in Portland we have an outdoor store that carries pretty much the whole Filson line along with some great Pendelton. I grew up with my Grandpa wearing his Mac and have always loved their clothes.
jgilbert said:
I hae one of the sweaters and it is now about 10 yrs old. It is jst now starting to look old! At this rate my son will be wearing it long after I am goine!
I am still wearing some of my grandpa's stuff that he worked in. So it lasts and lasts.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
"Might as well have the best" The Filson Thread

This is a place for you folk to post pictures of you wearing your Filson garments and accoutrements. Please comment on fit and quality if you feel the need.

3211639894_4d80f124de_b.jpg

On me:
tin cloth field jacket #641
mackinaw wool zip in liner #122
tin cloth hood #635
The potato sack cut of this combo annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. This jacket with liner is exceptionally toasty, after a while I'd have to open it up to let out some steam.

tucked behind me
Medium tin cloth field bag #70112

img0289ms.jpg

Original hunting vest #032
I'm wearing a sized small as they are sized to wear over a much heavier clothing. This fits fine over a normal sweater, but if I wanted to wear it over a waterfowl sweater I'd have gone with a medium. The shooting patches are bit's of mackinaw wool, they are a bit scratch when I'm just wearing it over a button-up, I amy remove them and replace them with moleskin.

3343829891_21df5dccb3_b.jpg

Single tin pants #069
This picture is from the second time I wore them, they smelled like onions. The extra wax has sweated it's self out and the pants are just fine and dandy now.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
The Field Bag

I do really dig the Filson Medium field bag. I'm thinking of picking up one of those. Can you describe that bag a bit more? Are there any internal pockets at all? Are the zippers sturdy etc? Thanks.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I've got the same Field Jacket with liner-it's one of the heaviest coats I own,and I like it. I have quite a bit of other Filson stuff-klondike jacket,wool bomber,vest,mackinaw bibs,and several hats.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Indiana,
I think you are looking at #232 while I have #70112

however I'm only guessing due to the fact that they are both medium field bags but mine doesn't have a zipper. I'd call mine more of a game bag, it has a nylon inside to prevent blood and such from staining. #232 is more of a shell bag. So more info about my bag, it has 2 front pockets a main pocket (lined with nylon), a back map pocket and 2 side pockets.

Jeep44,
Post some pics, thats the point! :) i'd like this thread to be a kind of visual library so people can understand how this stuff fits, and looks on real people.

andy richards

Practically Family
Great pics and excellent choice of clothing! Last week I visited Texas and was looking for some Filson garment. I was looking for the logger jacket and the packer hat. I've bought the unlined packer hat, but couldn't find the logger jacket. No trees in Texas anymore...? I like the tin cloth, yes it is rather smelly when new... Do you wear the tin trousers over a pair of other trousers? What size is it?

regards,
Andy Richards

High Iron

New in Town
Great thread fellas.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Although I don't own any Filson gear I have a friend that swears by it. I've seen his tin cloth coat and have to say it is an impressive piece of clothing.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Shelter Cloth Big Creek Jacket? I've been looking at Tanker Jackets but this looks like a more practical jacket in the long run.

gunner1970

New in Town
I love my Filson jackets

A few years ago I received a Mackinaw Cruiser #110 for Christmas and just last year bought myself a Tin Cruiser #060 and can't be happier with them. My next purchase will be one of the field bags.

Doublegun

Practically Family
IndianaGeo said:
I do really dig the Filson Medium field bag. I'm thinking of picking up one of those. Can you describe that bag a bit more? Are there any internal pockets at all? Are the zippers sturdy etc? Thanks.

I have had a Medium Field Bag (Style #232) for 15-years and it has served me well. No zippers, just the leather straps and then snaps on the front two pockets. There is a map-pocket on the back, small open pockets on both sides, two medium bellows-type pockets on the front. The interior is one reasonably sized compartment. Everything is unlined.

I have not been nice to my field bag and I use it for its intended purpose. It has been in countless cars, trucks, jeeps and on ATV's and it has been in canoes, duck boats and drift boats. It has carried cameras, books, binoculars, handguns, countless types of ammunition, knives, dog collars, bells, lunch, beverages, fishing reels, my thermos, extra socks and an emergency supply of toilet paper. (Obviously not all at the same time) It has hung from trees, doors, coat racks, side view mirrors and has made a serviceable pillow on more than one occasion. I have dropped it, driven over it, submerged it, tripped over it and even slept on it. All this and it still looks almost new except where one of my setters has chewed the shoulder strap.

If you are looking for something to carry a lot of gear this is not it. But if you are looking for something to carry the essentials then this is your bag.

Cheers,

Doublegun

jeep44

One of the Regulars
When Filson says "Gains character with use",this is what they mean. I've had this jacket for years,and it is starting to get a bit of wear on the edges.I think it is a #420 coat. It looks a bit like it's made of leather now.

S6000337.jpg

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Thanks

Doublegun said:
I have had a Medium Field Bag (Style #232) for 15-years and it has served me well. No zippers, just the leather straps and then snaps on the front two pockets. There is a map-pocket on the back, small open pockets on both sides, two medium bellows-type pockets on the front. The interior is one reasonably sized compartment. Everything is unlined.

I have not been nice to my field bag and I use it for its intended purpose. It has been in countless cars, trucks, jeeps and on ATV's and it has been in canoes, duck boats and drift boats. It has carried cameras, books, binoculars, handguns, countless types of ammunition, knives, dog collars, bells, lunch, beverages, fishing reels, my thermos, extra socks and an emergency supply of toilet paper. (Obviously not all at the same time) It has hung from trees, doors, coat racks, side view mirrors and has made a serviceable pillow on more than one occasion. I have dropped it, driven over it, submerged it, tripped over it and even slept on it. All this and it still looks almost new except where one of my setters has chewed the shoulder strap.

If you are looking for something to carry a lot of gear this is not it. But if you are looking for something to carry the essentials then this is your bag.

Cheers,

Doublegun

Doublegun,
A most informative take on the Filson bag. Just what I was looking for. Sounds like this bag is in my near future. I'm looking for something for the essentials and this seems to do nicely. Thanks.
Regards,
IndianaGeo

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I have the same bag.
However, mine doesn't get near the hard use that Doublegun's does.
Currently, it's my daily briefcase.
I must say, it's one of the best made pieces of equipment I've ever seen.
No doubt it could withstand a nuclear blast. :)
Lenny

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I love Filson stuff. I quit buying 'work' clothes from them years ago because they don't stand up to the work I do and are too expensive to replace often, but I wear Filson stuff everywhere else. I have a wool coat from the late 40's-early 50's, alot of their vests, etc. and it's all great stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner