Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The first one is getting ready to leave the nest

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
My oldest son received a call yesterday letting him know that he has been accepted to Shepherd University. All of us are excited for him and we have all let him know we are proud of him.

Reflecting on the process though, I've noticed that his mom and I have had to a bit more prodding than I think we should have, and a whole lot more than I can remember my parents ever did.

I've chatted with some friends and co-workers about their experiences with their children and the applying to college process, and without exception they all seem to have had the same or very similar experience with their children. A few even had to be more involved, and I'm surprised that they would even admit to doing what they told me.

So my first ever posting of a new thread has these questions for members of the lounge:

have you had similar experiences with your children or seen it with the children of friends?

is this "need to prod" a sign of a general change in our culture of our youth, or of parents, or is it limited to specific children?

I'd be especially interested in hearing from people with more than one child and had different experiences with them, and why they think it was different.

Anthony [huh]

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
As a first born who has just flown the nest (at the age of 23), my dad had to do a lot of prodding to get me to leave. Though for my part I've ben desperate to leave from the age of 16 (I love my parents, I've just always craved independance), but money was always an issue for me.

My friends are split fairly equally between those who moved out really early, and those who are still at home now.

I wouldn't worry about the amount of prodding you've done, I'm sure he'll be grateful for it. As long as you're not kicking him out and changing the locks behind him I'm sure he wont hold it against you ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace