Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Flat Head SRJ-06 Cafe Racer in Brown

dwilson

A-List Customer
Arrived fresh from Japan this morning. One of my grail jackets that I was extremely nervous I would never get my hands on due to TFH going defunct/restructured. Very thankful to Fedora Lounge for turning me on to buyee to proxy this jacket to my doorstep. All-in the jacket ran me about $1k USD which I think is a steal for a NWT TFH jacket. Oddly enough FedEx didn't charge me customs nor did they get a signature when dropping it off.

Now, on to the jacket! This is the SRJ-06 in what seems to be a pretty uncommon color of a light brown. Typically you'll see this in black since I believe that is all Self Edge and R&H carried for it. There was another jacket from Self Edge in this color a few years ago that I loved. The jacket is sized 38. For reference I'm 5'10" 145lb athletic build. I fit the prototypical TFH fit with broad shoulders and a tapered waist.

The leather is veg tanned horsehide which I'm guessing is shinki. Very beautiful color. The leather itself is fairly stiff and thick and needs to be broken in. My only other analogs of Japanese leather constructed into a jacket were buttery. This is not that. The hardware aims to be more period correct but I'd probably prefer something a bit beefier. Compared to my IH hardware this seems like child's play. The interior is a selvage flannel. If you are familiar with TFH's "Winter Wear" flannel this is it. It is thick, it is slubby, it has character and it is warm. Overall this jacket runs pretty hot.

IMG_0008.jpg

The jacket arrived in a fairly non-descript package from Buyee. I did not opt for the "protective packaging" option so this is the standard. It was really well wrapped.

IMG_0010.jpg

It came with the original box as well as was indicated on the auction site.

IMG_0011.jpg

Here it is laid out with tags still in place.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

And here are the fits. I'm Flat Head from head to ... ankle (TFW no Flat Head boots) in celebration. Overall the fit may be a touch tighter than this forum may love but I honestly find it perfect for me. This is exactly how I like my stuff to wear. I could possibly use a bit more length on the body but that is about it.

Overall A++ jacket for me and I look forward to breaking it in!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That is a beautiful jacket! Fits you very well. I am a massive Flat Head fan so I appreciate seeing the Flat Head jeans as well!

dwilson

A-List Customer
I love TFH obviously but their jeans aren't my favorite. The pocket bags are comically thin. I can't wear these jeans for real because my right side pocket bag is effectively disentigrated.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
well done!!!! Amazing fit. I can relate to the trepidation while you wait on a $1k+ purchase.

I've been on a Buyee tear lately. Getting good (or just plain lucky) and figuring out what people will bid up and not. Somehow I've picked up 2 killer jackets at about 25-50% less than what I should have. There are a couple I'm kicking myself about though where I tried to cheap out and over maybe $15 or 20 bucks missed out on a great jacket. But then again, the closet is full of other lonely great jackets.

dwilson

A-List Customer
well done!!!! Amazing fit. I can relate to the trepidation while you wait on a $1k+ purchase.

I've been on a Buyee tear lately. Getting good (or just plain lucky) and figuring out what people will bid up and not. Somehow I've picked up 2 killer jackets at about 25-50% less than what I should have. There are a couple I'm kicking myself about though where I tried to cheap out and over maybe $15 or 20 bucks missed out on a great jacket. But then again, the closet is full of other lonely great jackets.

Have you had any luck trying to get an individual seller consolodate a bunch of auctions? The seller I purchased this jacket from must have gotten some closeout deals on TFH so there are a bunch of button ups I want to buy but not really looking to pay the $10 buyee proxy fee on each one nor the $8 domestic shipping on each. I'm not sure the best way to go about trying to buy a bunch of shirts but all as one purchase.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Have you had any luck trying to get an individual seller consolodate a bunch of auctions? The seller I purchased this jacket from must have gotten some closeout deals on TFH so there are a bunch of button ups I want to buy but not really looking to pay the $10 buyee proxy fee on each one nor the $8 domestic shipping on each. I'm not sure the best way to go about trying to buy a bunch of shirts but all as one purchase.
haven't tried that yet. I know you can store your purchases at buyee for 1 month and then try and consolidate into one shipping package to you. But doing it at the source might be tricky since you really can't communicate with the seller directly. Try the Buyee chat thing. Maybe they have an idea. The best way would be for seller to offer a "package" of stuff you want to buy with a buy it now price, and that way it's one transaction.

stitchdown

Familiar Face
@dwilson what is your chest size? I'm pretty close to you in dimensions (5'11" and 145 lbs) with 36" chest and 30" waist), and I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off with a 36 or 38 in FH.

dwilson

A-List Customer
@dwilson what is your chest size? I'm pretty close to you in dimensions (5'11" and 145 lbs) with 36" chest and 30" waist), and I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off with a 36 or 38 in FH.

Sounds like you're slightly taller and leaner. My chest is more around 39" with a 31/32" waist. If you can find this particular model of jacket I'd still probably recommend the 38. You'd really be running into problems with the body and sleeve length of the jacket if you sized down. But remember to look at sizing details. This model is a bit unique to TFH where you likely should size down (my natural fit in most Flat Head is 40 ... you can see the buttons pulling slightly on my TFH button up which is a 40) Plus this particular jacket of mine has stretched out where it needed to and fits a bit wider in the chest now. Last I measured p2p its at around 20". I didn't measure it day1 but it certainly fit tighter in the chest out of the box than it does today.

stitchdown

Familiar Face
@dwilson the one I'm looking at is the one that has the same next closure as a Schott 641. Do you know which one I'm talking about and how that might size for me?

dwilson

A-List Customer
I'm no where near expert enough to offer advice to other people. Just do the normal process of measuring yourself or a well fitting jacket and finding something that comes close.

stitchdown

Familiar Face
Understood. I have no issue measuring the jacket. The issue is that I don't fully trust the jacket measurements provided to me and have no way of double-checking them, so was mostly looking for a gut check. The jacket I'm looking at says it's a 40" chest which is just about ideal for me, but it also says 22.5" back length which seems quite short.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Yeah thats pretty short. You can always request pictures of the measurement from the seller. Worst case scenario they ghost you. For reference my Delraiser is 41" chest with 24.25" length and I wouldn't want it a centimeter shorter. My cafe racer (this thread) is similar length. I'm 5'10" on a good day but probably more like 5'9" so if you're a few inches taller than me 22.5" wouldn't work unless you're all leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ