Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only things I have going for me, is the fact I've been at my current job since I was 19, I have never once missed a day of work, plus volunteer regularly for overtime. I'm not afraid to work, which is something that you don't see from a lot of people anymore. I will admit, it stinks getting up at 5 am every day lol

My industry hires people with no experience all the time. You do, however, need some education, be willing to show up to work before 10:00am, work 5 days a week, and pass a drug screen. In return, you get a six figure salary with fantastic life benefits. The 5 days a week and drug screen are the big "weed out" (no pun intended) requirements.

We do hire non degreed folks too, but that usually *does* require some experience.

celestial

Familiar Face
Really, Hudson? There aren't people under 40 who have gotten somewhere in their lives? Oh well, that's good news for me I guess...

The only things I have going for me, is the fact I've been at my current job since I was 19, I have never once missed a day of work, plus volunteer regularly for overtime. I'm not afraid to work, which is something that you don't see from a lot of people anymore. I will admit, it stinks getting up at 5 am every day lol

That's a huge plus. Most your age cannot say that.

I get up at 4:30, even after I've worked until 11:00 the night before. You do what you have to do and don't complain about it. Most of the younger crowd are aghast at the thought of getting up before the sun.

Really, Hudson? There aren't people under 40 who have gotten somewhere in their lives? Oh well, that's good news for me I guess...

I didn't say that. I asked why you thought it should be an expectation to somehow be at the pinnacle of your career and have amassed some financial security before then. Your attitude seems to explain in part your admitted problem.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Depending on how you define "gotten somewhere," I'd say quite a lot of people haven't managed to do so under the age of 40. There are plenty of 20- and 30-somethings who are lacking education, employment, family, leisure pursuits, or some combination of the above. Goodness knows I'm lacking a few myself.

I do hope your streak of unemployment ends soon. It's a miserable feeling, isn't it?

celestial

Familiar Face
I didn't say that. I asked why you thought it should be an expectation to somehow be at the pinnacle of your career and have amassed some financial security before then. Your attitude seems to explain in part your admitted problem.

No, that was your assumption. All I meant by "getting somewhere" was having a steady job and being able to look forward. And all I meant by financial security was not having to worry about bankruptcy 24/7...

No, that was your assumption. All I meant by "getting somewhere" was having a steady job and being able to look forward. And all I meant by financial security was not having to worry about bankruptcy 24/7...

Most people worry about a steady job and not being broke. That's my point. You appear to be angry that you don't have all that you want in life, but that's how the world works for 99% of the people in it, and not just early in life.

I take it you're not going to reveal your age.

celestial

Familiar Face
No, I'm just unhappy that I've lost my parents, and have been underemployed for the last couple of years. I've been waiting for a new life so that I can start moving on from the past, but it still hasn't happened yet.

Like I said, I'm under 40. Why do you need to know my exact age?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lizzenstein.jpg

The Look chased an undesireable character out of the lobby this afternoon. And I didn't even need the wig.
Good one, Lizzie! :thumb:

Meanwhile, the decline of civilization continues unabated. Some hacker-punk-jackass got hold of my debit card number somehow and ordered $400 worth of hipster fashion crap from a website in England. The bank put a stop on it, but I can't get a new card until next week, and none of the gas pumps around here take cash anymore. Ah, tell me again why I should love the 21st Century so much.
Horrible!
Not just the stolen debt-card.. but HIPSTER FASHION?! Awful, filthy, gruesome.. :faint:

Now here's THE LOOK that parents should aspire to. :D
horyu-ji-temple-gate-guardian--nara-japan-daniel-hagerman.jpg
Pretty much my face when woken up before alarm-clock. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Being the only one of my friends that has a job - yes, it's miserable. There are days when I feel uncomfortable that I'm employed when I'm around them.

As long as they don't strong arm you into paying for everything, why should you?

I'm part of the "get up at 5am" crowd because of my shift. It's not bad, there is little traffic when I go to work, and when I leave to come home.
In my 20's, I was trying to build up a career with the employer I've had for 25yrs now.
In my early 40's I have an office, a take home car, and quite a lot of responsibility.
The pay? Could be higher. Who doesn't say that but Bill Gates, and even he probably says that in private.
If you've gotten there that's great, if you are getting there that's great too, but never let your career cut out things in your life you can't get back. Social events, family gatherings (holidays, vacations, etc) because when those people are gone, they are gone forever.
I did some of that, and I regret it to this day.
I've "gotten somewhere" but on the way when friends or family say "hey remember the time..." No, I don't because I wasn't there.
There isn't a set time for arriving in one's career, opportunity arises differently for everyone.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
When it doesn't, years down the road you can look back and see why, and realize often times it was for your own good.

I'm in that 'missing a lot of family events' crowd. If there's work available for me, you can bet I'm at work. I go in early, stay late, come in on the weekends. Money is good and the more I have the better of a life that I can build for myself.

As long as they don't strong arm you into paying for everything, why should you?

I'm part of the "get up at 5am" crowd because of my shift. It's not bad, there is little traffic when I go to work, and when I leave to come home.
In my 20's, I was trying to build up a career with the employer I've had for 25yrs now.
In my early 40's I have an office, a take home car, and quite a lot of responsibility.
The pay? Could be higher. Who doesn't say that but Bill Gates, and even he probably says that in private.
If you've gotten there that's great, if you are getting there that's great too, but never let your career cut out things in your life you can't get back. Social events, family gatherings (holidays, vacations, etc) because when those people are gone, they are gone forever.
I've "gotten somewhere" but on the way when friends or family say "hey remember the time..." No, I don't because I wasn't there.
There isn't a set time for arriving in one's career, opportunity arises differently for everyone.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
When it doesn't, years down the road you can look back and see why, and realize often times it was for your own good.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know why... I guess it's difficult for me.
We sat down in the pub, I ordered and my friend said "Nothing, thank you"
What to do?
I buy her a drink - what about the next time.. or the next one? [huh]

I'm part of the "get up at 5am" crowd because of my shift.
My shifts starts at 7:00 AM.
I'm with you on the early rising - however, I live 15 minutes on foot away from my workplace. The benefit of life in a small town. :D

but never let your career cut out things in your life you can't get back. Social events, family gatherings (holidays, vacations, etc) because when those people are gone, they are gone forever.
Here, you've mentioned one of my greatest fears. This new age of "work-till-you-drop" has produced the Bosses with Phones - and no sense of personal time of their employees. :doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm in that 'missing a lot of family events' crowd. If there's work available for me, you can bet I'm at work. I go in early, stay late, come in on the weekends. Money is good and the more I have the better of a life that I can build for myself.

I use work as a good excuse to miss family events, it's easier on my nerves that way. The less I have to interact with my sister, the better off for all of us.

As far as "financial security" goes, I was never raised to expect that. Nobody in my family has ever had it, going back a hundred and fifty years, so it was never dangled in front of me as any kind of objective or goal. We're people who work till we die, and that's just a part of life. I've got enough to get by, but more important I enjoy what I do for a living, and that's more than can be said for a lot of people who sell their souls for the sort of "financial security" which can be swept away in an instant. That could happen to me too, of course -- but the higher up you go, the further you've got to fall.

celestial

Familiar Face
Good post, Lizzie.

Exactly, Stray Cat. Have you seen that documentary Happy? It says something in it like this:

Sure, a person who makes $50,000 a year is most likely going to be happier than somebody who's living on the street. But if that same person started making $50,000,000 a year, he wouldn't necessarily be any happier than he was on his old wage.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I too end up missing some family events due to work, however the important ones I always try to make. I work a lot of hours in my office and am on call 24/7/365 for crisis - and working in mental health, I do get calls or text messages all hours of the night. However, I am compensated well for my time. I love my job, and have a hell of a lot of fun working - yes, I actually look forward to Mondays!

I too was raised that financial security is a fleeting thing. However, my wife and I make enough to live comfortably and to have the things we want. As a Freemason, I also believe in giving back and we do donate a lot of money and time each year to various charities - both Masonic and non-Masonic in nature - because if we can not help each other in times of need, who can we depend on?

It also helps if you have very little in the way of family. In my case I'm an only child with both parents deceased. The only family events on my calendar are Thanksgiving and Christmas with my cousins. As I'm self-employed I'm pretty much "on the job" 24/7/365.

No, I'm just unhappy that I've lost my parents, and have been underemployed for the last couple of years. I've been waiting for a new life so that I can start moving on from the past, but it still hasn't happened yet.

Waiting is not the strategy that's going to make it happen. Nor is shooting the messenger b

Like I said, I'm under 40. Why do you need to know my exact age?

Just perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails