Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Part of my first job involved cleaning the restrooms at our family's Texaco station. At the time, Texaco ran a program called "Registered Rest Rooms," in which inspectors from the company would visit stations specifically to look over the condition of the facilities. When I started the job it was made very clear to me that in twenty-five years of doing business we'd never flunked an inspection. And that record wasn't about to be broken.

restroom.jpg

Most oil companies operated similar inspection programs, but by the end of the seventies they were gone. Guess with times being as tight as they were then, and oil companies making so little money, they had to do away with such frivolous frills as ensuring decent facilities for their customers.
You know, I recall those signs and the Texaco gas station was an important part of my childhood. Long story short, when I was 3 I got myself lost, the fellows at the Texaco knew my Father as he had his new cars serviced (gas, oil changes) and due to their always making comments about how they liked his cars,(new convertible buick roadmasters, caddys) I knew by going to the gas station they would get me home safe, and they did. Also, Texaco sold items for us youngsters (fire engines that hooked to a water hose, hats, hula hoops) and I will always remember that.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The beginning of any decline starts with no toilet paper in a public bathroom. What cracks me up is the little girls room being in worse condition than the mens. Not that I know personally.
I learned that one the hard way, I always have a "partial roll of necessity paper" in my car and can place it into my pocket just in case.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
That technique doesn't work as well walking into a fine resturant or shopping mall. That is, actually having a WHOLE roll of toilet paper in hand vs. partial in the pocket. Then you have to determine how much will be enough. Things could get sketchy.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've been in restaurants with no paper towels in the bathroom. How are the employees washing and drying their hands???

From what I've been told, some places don't stock women's restrooms with paper towels because of the propensity to use them to create sanitary seat barriers that more often than not clog the toilet. I had a job at Dunkin Donuts back in 97 and was told not to put any paper towels in the women's room for that reason.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think women's rooms are worse than the few times I've seen a men's room.

The absolutely worst bathroom experiences I have had is where someone decided to make use of the floor (not the toilet or near said toilet, but right in the middle of the floor). I have seen this in a fitting room and two public bathrooms in the past several years.

When I discussed these experiences with my husband, he stated that he has NEVER seen that in a men's room.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The very worst people for making a ruin of a public restroom aren't the slobs and yokels. They're the upscale types -- it was true at the gas station in the '70s and it's true at the theatre where I work now. The higher-class the audience, the more of a mess they leave behind -- because, I guess, they're used to having someone to clean up after them so they just don't care.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The very worst people for making a ruin of a public restroom aren't the slobs and yokels. They're the upscale types -- it was true at the gas station in the '70s and it's true at the theatre where I work now. The higher-class the audience, the more of a mess they leave behind -- because, I guess, they're used to having someone to clean up after them so they just don't care.

Isn't that strange? My favourite aunt used to work at the upscale food merchant David Wood, and she had the most horrifying experience (the WALL). I won't tell the rest here for many reasons, but mostly because we all have imaginations, and like to keep our meals down.

On the other end of the spectrum: The Toronto subways are a favourite place for the local addiction and mental health patients to relieve themselves, on both the trains and the tunnels. Everyone I know who has traveled the TTC has had a similar experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou