Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
"Not I", said the cat.
In all fairness, I ask this with nothing but honest wonderment, and in being relatively new to many things regarding vintage customs, is there a group all on their own that is like a club for people that wear red ties like the gals have a red hat society? And as for the talking cat....meow!

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Am I the only one that when walking down a grocery store isle, and I need to pass in front of someone that's looking at a shelf, say "excuse me"?
I feel like an antiquated troll when I do this, and am pleasantly surprised when the rare occasion someone says it to me :)

Count me in as another who does it, although sometimes it does feel funny to be in the "minority."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For that matter, how many people are careful, when they stop in the middle of the aisle, to be sure they've allowed sufficient room for people to pass. I've seen people park their carriage perpendicular to the shelves and then stand directly in front of it as they look for what they want. They might as well just set up a road block.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
For that matter, how many people are careful, when they stop in the middle of the aisle, to be sure they've allowed sufficient room for people to pass. I've seen people park their carriage perpendicular to the shelves and then stand directly in front of it as they look for what they want. They might as well just set up a road block.
There is an easy fix for that, you can with some polite but raised voice, ask the person if they can please move their cart as you have to get past them.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can't believe the vast majority of people don't say excuse me. That's basic, basic kindergarten manners.

But then I believe got extra biscuts the other night into a restaurant because I said "please." The waitress acted slightly floored when I ordered my entree starting out with "Could I please have..."

And they were *good* biscuts.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Or standing behind the basket, with a firm grip on the handle, and yelling "ramming speed" while approaching at a fast rate!:D I'd love to see that though.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
^^^
GERONIMO!!!

Ooh, don't get me started on supermarket-related bad manners! People allowing their sprogs to run around like it were their personal creche, carts in the "baskets only" aisle, or squeezing the produce, or egads! picking up stuff and tucking in then & there... :rant:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I once knew someone who told me that when he worked at the A&P they'd amuse themselves by bowling frozen turkeys down the aisle toward pyramids of milk bottles. Perhaps bowling turkeys toward clots of oblivious customers might be even more fun.

"Drat, missed that 7-10 split. The lady in the Crocs is still standing."

MikePotts

Practically Family
I once knew someone who told me that when he worked at the A&P they'd amuse themselves by bowling frozen turkeys down the aisle toward pyramids of milk bottles. Perhaps bowling turkeys toward clots of oblivious customers might be even more fun.

"Drat, missed that 7-10 split. The lady in the Crocs is still standing."

CROCIST!!!!.............OK me too, wanna join my gang? ;)

MP

This is a pet peeve of mine. If I stop in the aisle, I always have my cart all the way over. If that is where they're trying to access, I say 'sorry' and move.

It's amazing how much manners surprise people these days. I always use my manners, even if it's just going to get fast food. At McDonald's one girl told me the other day they knew it was me because I always say please and thank you. I once ended up going on a few dates with the drive-through girl, because as she put it, I was a 'polite country boy.'

I can't believe the vast majority of people don't say excuse me. That's basic, basic kindergarten manners.

But then I believe got extra biscuts the other night into a restaurant because I said "please." The waitress acted slightly floored when I ordered my entree starting out with "Could I please have..."

And they were *good* biscuts.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Tom

Try this one: "Pardon me, Excuse me, Pardon me, GET THE )#$#($ OUT OF MY WAY I'M CARRYING A MACHINE GUN!!!"

This will work much better for you than me, since if memory serves you actually have access to those sorts of toys.

Later

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany