Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaWay

New in Town
My wife is a 6th grade teacher - fortunately, no issues like the ones in the article... yikes!! On the other side - my 3 kids are reasonably functional, well-behaved teenagers (it's hard to type that without thinking it's an oxymoron) now.

But lwhen they were say, 7, 4 and 2 I made myself a promise that I would never get mad at somebody else's kid for cutting me off in a grocery aisle. I figured I am due some kind of karmic payback for all the times my kids did that to somebody else. Those were some embarrassing times in spite of our best intentions to keep them out of the way of others. And yes, I kinda' miss those days. Some things about them anyway.

;) No, that wasn't the case. The reason I let her go is another example of a decline in standards. She had a boyfriend and didn't tell me. She was tiring of him and liked me better. When I found out, I went on my way. Stuff like that doesn't stay quiet in a small town.

Wait, you dated a girl with discounts at McDonalds and you let her go???
Tom, you only loved her for her hashbrowns, admit it.

Yes it would, everyone knows I'm 'your friendly local Machine-Gun dealer' ;)

Hi Tom

Try this one: "Pardon me, Excuse me, Pardon me, GET THE )#$#($ OUT OF MY WAY I'M CARRYING A MACHINE GUN!!!"

This will work much better for you than me, since if memory serves you actually have access to those sorts of toys.

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
;) No, that wasn't the case. The reason I let her go is another example of a decline in standards. She had a boyfriend and didn't tell me. She was tiring of him and liked me better. When I found out, I went on my way. Stuff like that doesn't stay quiet in a small town.

Hi

I went back home last month, my Mom is getting to be 80 so... Anyway, I was talking to several guys and all of them "had knowledge" of the same girl. Just co-incidence, but still unnerving in a way.

It's not just small towns though. Back in the early 1980's, my wife worked in a small group at a computer place. 3 of the ladies were or had been married to two of the men.

Later

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In other news, just yesterday I met an 87yo gal from my town who had been an aerialist-performer with Ringling Bros. in the 1940s. She told us about what a clean-living place the circus was in that era - even the smaller "mudshows" (truck/trailer circuses), let alone Ringling's. Circus people had had a sketchy reputation, and the industry was very set on improving it.

Drinking or smoking could get you canned - even cussing or chewing gum could get you on the carpet. (That last was the circus doctor's order - gum can go down your windpipe during a run-thru, and that can't be any walk in the park.)

Z's husband was one of the better advance men on the Mills Bros. staff, but he didn't get much respect for awhile - he'd been in the service and in college, and they thought him too irreverent. Even the military was more tolerant of grousing and smart@ssedness than the circus then.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
So, I got to enjoy my bit of irony when the thread was closed. ;) But now that it's been reopened:

1. Add me to the list of those who say "Excuse me" when passing in front of someone or any other time it is warranted.

2. As I recall from my time in England, there they have the Loo of the Year awards. I once used a loo with a plaque commemorating the fact that it had earned that honor recently. In the US when traveling cross-country I would generally use McDonald's for bathroom breaks as they were always clean. They've declined recently. I will also note that in recent years the rest stops in many states have improved quite a bit, often with attendents on site keeping things clean. I think the states realized it is a tourism issue and have taken steps to improve things based on that. During my time as a truck driver I sure appreciated it as I used the rest stops to wash up and brush my teeth before heading out on the road.

3. On the plus side, I took my wife and granddaughter out for pizza last night. Afterwards, we walked back out to the car. I opened the door and held it while my wife got in, and closed it behind her. I then walked around the car to find my granddaughter next to the rear door, waiting for me to do the same for her. I guess she has moved past the stage where she has to show that she can do it herself (almost 7 years old .) :D

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That article just made me sad. Don't they teach kids anymore about how many of your rights as a citizen are suspended when you go through the school house doors as a minor? Apparently two generations missed that one.

On the rest rooms- when we were in Minnesota (I think) their public highway restrooms competed with each other for awards. They had the best restrooms I've ever seen on a national highway. One I remember even had about 100 bird feeders hanging outside a large window, so you could watch the birds come and go. They were obviously an award winner. I thought it was a neat idea.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
3. On the plus side, I took my wife and granddaughter out for pizza last night. Afterwards, we walked back out to the car. I opened the door and held it while my wife got in, and closed it behind her. I then walked around the car to find my granddaughter next to the rear door, waiting for me to do the same for her. I guess she has moved past the stage where she has to show that she can do it herself (almost 7 years old .)
Tom

Tango Yankee,

You've just taught her the importance of respect for women, and respect for herself.

Great job Sir.
M.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Yes it would, everyone knows I'm 'your friendly local Machine-Gun dealer' ;)
I think you made the right choice about not seeing the gal that worked at McDonalds, rumor has it she is now seeing younger men and luring them with food which may be dangerous to their health later...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Where's Alfalfa?
Yeah McDonalds is bad, most fast food in fact.
Oh well Tom, that's life.
I say try to get a girl with a bit more class, like one that works in a sit down restaurant.
Of course I dated a girl back in my early 20's, that worked at a Baby Superstore (for cribs, clothes, etc).
What was I thinking?
The thread has got me thinking over the past month, about what's been said here.
I find myself noticing more, the lack of quality of service, items I buy, etc.
In gov't I heard the phrase "I'm just here to do my 8", really? What a goal setter you are.
Then again we aren't rewarded for going that extra mile, there aren't any raises, or promotions for such.
I can see their point, but I still do that extra just because I was raised that way.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Am I the only one that when walking down a grocery store isle, and I need to pass in front of someone that's looking at a shelf, say "excuse me"?
I feel like an antiquated troll when I do this, and am pleasantly surprised when the rare occasion someone says it to me :)

I always say excuse me or pardon me. I also make it a point to give way to someone tryingto get by. It's the right thing to do and it reallybothers me when others don't

The McDonald's girl was no big deal lol She was just cute and wanted to go out, so I went out with her a few times. No big loss, believe me!

You should always give your all at work, you never know who's looking and who it's going to get back to. I have a reputation for always being willing to work, and to come in early, stay late, work weekends, etc. On top of wanting to have a good reputation to management, my mom works there, too, and my sister started there on Monday. I'd hate for negative press to get back to them.

Where's Alfalfa?
Yeah McDonalds is bad, most fast food in fact.
Oh well Tom, that's life.
I say try to get a girl with a bit more class, like one that works in a sit down restaurant.
Of course I dated a girl back in my early 20's, that worked at a Baby Superstore (for cribs, clothes, etc).
What was I thinking?
The thread has got me thinking over the past month, about what's been said here.
I find myself noticing more, the lack of quality of service, items I buy, etc.
In gov't I heard the phrase "I'm just here to do my 8", really? What a goal setter you are.
Then again we aren't rewarded for going that extra mile, there aren't any raises, or promotions for such.
I can see their point, but I still do that extra just because I was raised that way.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

The problem is when you are expected to run an extra marathon on top of a 40 hour work week. I know people who haven't had a single day off in years. And that includes having a single weekend day free of work- I'm not just talking taking a day off of "vacation time." And they are not CEOs or making big bucks either.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The problem is when you are expected to run an extra marathon on top of a 40 hour work week. I know people who haven't had a single day off in years. And that includes having a single weekend day free of work- I'm not just talking taking a day off of "vacation time." And they are not CEOs or making big bucks either.
There has been a time period, have to really think about it, but from 2002 up to 2004, I was working each day of the year and of course, on Xmas, I would stop to see family, but would be right back at working. Not a single day of time off. I had motive, however, as my commercial building company was really going full blast at the time.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

All honest work is classy. Anyone who opts to work at a job, even one that lacks the "class" you describe, instead of mooching off of anyone else, has class and character. My husband worked at McDonald's as a teen.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Supermarkets must have 'please check brain at the door' signs.
That is about how it is at times, it may be the smell of the food makes some people's brain go into a mode of operation that is different than if they were anywhere else...the smell of food, or maybe, just maybe it is that elevator music they play at stores.....?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I also have one other sort of "pet peeve" about most stores...and that it the person at the cash register....my lord...can you move any slower than that? Do we need to help move your thought process along a tad bit more for you today? I really did not bring my dinner here with me to eat....if you make me have to wait standing in this line much longer, I will need my alarm clock....can't you count past three to give the proper change?...Oh lord not again, I got in the line where the cashier has to run back for the next 20 minutes to see the price on a "possible" sale item, that this "auntie Mildred" in front of me claims was 5 cents off the marked price...and lastly, the I ran out of quarters for change.....be right back...(you know they went all the way to the other coast to get that change)....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
All honest work is classy. Anyone who opts to work at a job, even one that lacks the "class" you describe, instead of mooching off of anyone else, has class and character. My husband worked at McDonald's as a teen.

Agreed, but there are better part-time student jobs out there where you can be treated like a human being, and work with better products. I had many part time jobs throughout my student years, and I never wanted to work at McDonald's.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, but there are better part-time student jobs out there where you can be treated like a human being, and work with better products. I had many part time jobs throughout my student years, and I never wanted to work at McDonald's.

Some people might actually want to work there, and even more admirable are those who would rather not work there but opt to do so because they can't find a better job, especially given the current economy.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

Also, perhaps you mean better for you? My husband went on to become a decorated US Marine. I think it taught him to not expect much in the form of cushy treatment from his employer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24