Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Getting Along thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoohBang

Suspended
So I thought I’d make a new thread on getting along.

It’s odd that everyone here has so much in common, yet there is such a divide between everyone.

I know for myself, I love hats. Especially fedoras. I’ve actually worn one since the early 80’s. I also have a fondness for things of the past. Especially the 1920-1940’s.

And I also know that not everyone was the same during those times. There were all sorts of people, from all walks of life.

So let’s try to focus on the common ground we share and maybe we can all be friends.

It’s odd that everyone here has so much in common
*** yet there is such a divide between everyone***.

So let’s try to focus on the common ground we share and maybe we can all be friends.

Strange...I haven't noticed that there really is such a 'divide between everyone'.
I also think that many or most here are friendly. Thing is..like most forums...members aren't too keen on what seems like instigating or insulting tatics always in opposition to most any topic or thread. It can come across as a real resentment for practically everyone here.
HD

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Very well stated HD. In most verbal issues of posting on any thread, I think it is not always easy to "catch" a tone, or maybe direction of thought a person may have had meant. However, if one comes into the discussion and drops a stick of dynamite, it is clearly going to give the end affect that it was intended for.

Personally, I always desire to keep a bit of humor, care, and to be some what open to the fact not everyone is going to be able to view me in the same fashion I may be viewing myself. So I tend to trade off that idea about everyone else.

From my own time on the FL, I have not yet experienced such an ordeal that would allow anyone to "rent space" in my mind, nor to harbor any hard feelings towards another.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's sort of like someone walking into Fenway Park wearing Yankee regalia. He shouldn't be surprised if he gets the razz. Know your environment and temper your remarks accordingly and everyone will get along fine.

PoohBang

Suspended
It's sort of like someone walking into Fenway Park wearing Yankee regalia. He shouldn't be surprised if he gets the razz. Know your environment and temper your remarks accordingly and everyone will get along fine.

Lately it's felt more like a Giants fan going to a Dodger game.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or, another example -- if one walks into a cat show, one shouldn't be surprised to be surrounded by cat lovers, and to find that the general thrust of opinion among the crowd considers cats to be the pinnacle of all creation. If in the interest of "balancing the discussion" one then begins to criticise cats as smelly, sneaky beasts inferior in every way to dogs, one should not be surprised if the claws come out.

Pompidou

One Too Many
How and when you choose to say something makes a big difference, too. Whenever I post, I typically know what I hope to come of it. I'm pretty big on balancing the discussion, and not just here. I find taking the opposite side of any discussion helps me flesh out my opinions. I don't like not knowing why I believe the things I do. That said, it's pretty easy to do without pissing everyone off. Take TFL, for example, the worst I ever got was a few handfuls of "Why are you here?". I don't even get that anymore. If you have to disagree, make it a disagreement of substance, avoiding little barbs and digs, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. Also, keeping a balance of your posts of agreement and posts of disagreement should help too.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Maybe that's because you have tempered your provocative commentary.

If so, there was never a conscious choice made to do so. I still spend the same amount of time choosing my words carefully. I like to think that if the exact same threads began today, I'd reply the exact same way, though, there are a few posts I wish I never made - not for provocative reasons, but for just being wrong. Not too long ago, there was sort of a big flareup between the "I love the golden age" and "I hate the present" camps that comprise the board, and after that, the whole tone of the board seemed to mellow quite a bit. Maybe I did too.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I do think for the most part, a person could make a off the wall comment, and that such then creates a bitter viewpoint by others that would read and react to the comment. When it becomes clear the comment was made, with the intention of creating "crap" to happen, it just makes whatever was being discussed, take a curve to deal with the injected negative comment.

There are, from what I have observed, individuals that seem to have an agenda to make some off the wall comments with the intentions of creating a problem. To me, that is sad. But again, as I have for myself, already stated, I to this date, not harbored any ill will towards anyone else on the Lounge.

rue

Well said Lizzie, as was the cat show post :)

PB.... I commend you for for trying to apologize (if that's what you're doing) and you should listen to Lizzie... she's as smart and fair as they come.

I do think for the most part, a person could make a off the wall comment, and that such then creates a bitter viewpoint by others that would read and react to the comment. When it becomes clear the comment was made, with the intention of creating "crap" to happen, it just makes whatever was being discussed, take a curve to deal with the injected negative comment.

There are, from what I have observed,
**** individuals that seem to have an agenda to make some off the wall comments with the intentions of creating a problem.****
To me, that is sad. But again, as I have for myself, already stated, I to this date, not harbored any ill will towards anyone else on the Lounge.

***Or arguing just for the sake of argument. Convinced that their expert opinion must..will..and does overcome/overwhelm any further dissenting unworthy discourse. Often times just gymnastics to impress themselves..while many others only tire of the excercise.***

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I must be missing something.....

is there something going on?
Oh, hello. No not now. There have been a few tussles in some ways, but in the long run, things are doing well.

There is just some thoughts being tossed here in a deep thinking way ( I hope) and as the word "hope" enters into it, I am sure we do hope everyone is going to be able to get along and have the fun and great time here on the Lounge that is meant to be. I myself, love it here and enjoy it like a 3 year old child on a pony ride! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hahaha!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well I just have to say, it is not all that hard for people to get along with others, if they want to. Now, really, it is true you cannot twist someone's arm to do so via the internet! But for the sake of my desires to promote good will, a warm smile and to crack a bit of humor into things, I do hope again, everyone can know it is ducky keen, a blast, the cats paw, to just get along and let things move forward in a pleasant manner! Now.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hahah !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR