Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Godfather

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm rather surprised that there isn't a thread dedicated to this movie yet.

AMC has been playing The Godfather and Part II repeatedly over the last month or so, and I recently got the DVDs from Netflix so I could watch the full version without commercials, edits and pan-n-scan.

The films hold up very well to repeated viewings, at least for me. I find more fascinating things each time I see them.

I'm studying Don Vito Corleone's management style. Leaving the violence out, of course, there may be something to be learned from how he handles subordinates. Have you noticed he almost never raised his voice? He seemed calm and in control the whole time. His son Michael seemed to learn part of his father's style, but along the way, he seemed to let his emotions get the better of him.

Michael did have a sweet gray Homburg (a black one as well) that looks like a Borsalino. Of course, I have one too. lol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think Godfather I and II are among the best films ever made. You could view them over and over again and learn something new about film-making, about human nature.

And, yes, the fedoras are lovely, as are the cars.

karol

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
:eusa_doh: I am ashamed to say...... I have never watched the movies in my almost 33 yrs of life. Sad, isn't it? Now, on the other hand, I have stopped to watch every Audrey Hepburn that is on TV, begining or not, and Danny Kaye. Go figure!!!!!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Goftaher I and II are both extraordinary films. I don't think Pacino was ever better. Everything works in both movies. The dvd set has some great extra material too - well worht a look if you're a fan. Coppola was really just such a great filmmaker, it's sad that there doesn't seem to be any room for him in the current climate and no successors.

I picked up the Godfather (for PC) game for $8.99 at a Staples sale a few weeks ago. Apart from it being as relentlessy moronic as all other video games it is kind of cool wandering around New York 1947 (I just don't like having to kill everybody - can't there be a game called Shopping: 1935 in which you wander around a fully rendered city circa 1935 and pick up a tie or maybe a nice pair of shoes?)

Coppola hates the game.

The game site

Soro_horsehead-1.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
there may be something to be learned from how he handles subordinates. Have you noticed he almost never raised his voice?

Godfather I & II are great, little tv screen doesn't do well as the theater.
I don't think you can study Don Vito Corleone without the violence, sure he doesn't raise his voice, you do or you don't, face the consequences (hit) :)
Don't play the old guy as a fool (you'll be sorry) ;)
Either you want to be a "made man" or "wise guy" There are some excellent real life mafia books available, I draw a blank at the moment :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21