Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Well, now you have met the owner of Schott . . .”

technovox

One Too Many
There it is!
aaee36762f2eae3dbd9cb32b39d0e4ac.jpg

Super cool! And super rare! Here's the Schott verbiage, although somewhat inaccurate with a jigger of bluster:

“Now, Schott NYC teams up with Restoration Hardware, makers of fine luxury home goods, for this one-off, limited release, vintage café racer motorcycle jacket. This unlined jacket is slim-cut, fitted with period hardware by Talon (inventor of the zipper), and it features a banded snap-bottom collar closure, welted 5” zip pockets, and 6” zip sleeves. The jacket’s true beauty lies in the washed, distressed, “I’m not getting rid of this jacket until it walks by itself” look that gives it that timeless appeal. Crafted in the US from more than 20 hand-cut pieces of drum-dyed, top grain cowhide leather, the new Schott leather jacket is made by hand and a Restoration Hardware exclusive. This is truly a jacket for the man who adores leather and can appreciate the history behind it.”

Last edited:
Super cool! And super rare! Here's the Schott verbiage, although somewhat inaccurate with a jigger of bluster:

“Now, Schott NYC teams up with Restoration Hardware, makers of fine luxury home goods, for this one-off, limited release, vintage café racer motorcycle jacket. This unlined jacket is slim-cut, fitted with period hardware by Talon (inventor of the zipper), and it features a banded snap-bottom collar closure, welted 5” zip pockets, and 6” zip sleeves. The jacket’s true beauty lies in the washed, distressed, “I’m not getting rid of this jacket until it walks by itself” look that gives it that timeless appeal. Crafted in the US from more than 20 hand-cut pieces of drum-dyed, top grain cowhide leather, the new Schott leather jacket is made by hand and a Restoration Hardware exclusive. This is truly a jacket for the man who adores leather and can appreciate the history behind it.”
Almost took a crack at one of these a few years back. I balked b/c it wasn't lined and thought the on/off would be brutal. Love the cut tho.
LOL. 20 pieces? That's more than leatherfaces mask.

technovox

One Too Many
Almost took a crack at one of these a few years back. I balked b/c it wasn't lined and thought the on/off would be brutal. Love the cut tho.
LOL. 20 pieces? That's more than leatherfaces mask.

A black or brown one?
I never understood the unlined jacket thing...just seemed lazy to me...but I've heard some flat track racers prefer the tighter fit they get without the lining.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I think Schott is liked here, there are just other brands that are more popular here.

I had a cafe racer by them that I sold. Great jacket.

I would consider buying another jacket by them in burgundy CXL.

A black or brown one?
I never understood the unlined jacket thing...just seemed lazy to me...but I've heard some flat track racers prefer the tighter fit they get without the lining.
Black one on the bay. Size L. It would've been a tight fit on me, probably too tight to get off without a barrier between my skin and the rough side. Should've just bought the thing and thrown a silk liner in it. Such a good looking cut on that jacket. And I agree. No liner is just a lazy move. No good reason for it.

@Monitor Schott CR is amazing and I'd love to grab one of those.

Isn't it some ultra rare version only released in Japan or something?

Not Japan but... I guess it is kinda rare?

These were custom made for the Confederate motorcycles and were selling only on their web store. I think there was a single run of them and they all sold out but I've seen a few pop up on the Bay from time to time. I think Confederate must've been giving a few away as a promo or something?

You're gonna hate this but some motorcycle gear store was selling two of 'em on the eBay for like $150. They obviously had no clue what it was as the jackets were listed as a "black motorcycle jackets". Brand new w/ tags they were. I mean, just the mention of horsehide would get them a few hundred $.
I stumbled upon these auctions once they were over. I would've bought another one without even thinking about it. Really awesome jackets. Super tough, heavy horsehide. Some of the best I've ever handled... The only downside of it is the branding on the sleeve which some people might not like.

There's a Schott Anniversary CR that was sold only in Europe which is the exact same jacket as mine, sans logos and made of Steerhide. Oh, and it has a quilted lining.

technovox

One Too Many
Not Japan but... I guess it is kinda rare?

These were custom made for the Confederate motorcycles and were selling only on their web store. I think there was a single run of them and they all sold out but I've seen a few pop up on the Bay from time to time. I think Confederate must've been giving a few away as a promo or something?

You're gonna hate this but some motorcycle gear store was selling two of 'em on the eBay for like $150. They obviously had no clue what it was as the jackets were listed as a "black motorcycle jackets". Brand new w/ tags they were. I mean, just the mention of horsehide would get them a few hundred $.
I stumbled upon these auctions once they were over. I would've bought another one without even thinking about it. Really awesome jackets. Super tough, heavy horsehide. Some of the best I've ever handled... The only downside of it is the branding on the sleeve which some people might not like.

There's a Schott Anniversary CR that was sold only in Europe which is the exact same jacket as mine, sans logos and made of Steerhide. Oh, and it has a quilted lining.

Hey Super, I hope you don't mind us veering off, but this is good Schott info!

That horsehide looks sweet! And it looks like the Confed has the open zipped sleeves as well. Was the burgundy/red lining exclusive to these jackets? Is that the best way to identify them?

I think Schott is liked here, there are just other brands that are more popular here.

I had a cafe racer by them that I sold. Great jacket.

I would consider buying another jacket by them in burgundy CXL.
The CHP in Horween # 8 would be awesome. That's what my SB is made out of and it's the thickest leather I've ever handled.

Hey Super, I hope you don't mind us veering off, but this is good Schott info!

That horsehide looks sweet! And it looks like it has the open zipped sleeves as well. Was the burgundy lining exclusive to these jackets? Is that the best way to identify them?
They also have confederate details stitched into the lining and at the collar I believe. Maybe the shoulder as well?? I tried one on at an M/C show in Chicago. It was before I thought spending near a K on a jacket was "normal" and I couldn't commit. I believe these retail for $950, when they were available. One of the best fitting CR's and coolest cuts I'd ever seen tho. Amazing hide too. Better than Schotts usual HH offering.

Hey Super, I hope you don't mind us veering off, but this is good Schott info! Dang it! That horsehide looks sweet!. And it looks like it has the open zipped sleeves as well. Was the burgundy lining exclusive to these jackets? Is that the best way to identify them?

Open zipped sleeves, yeah. No gusset. :) The burgundy lining was exclusive to these Confederate motorcycles cafe racers but... I do recall seeing it in some other styles though I'm not sure. It's really sweet and does a lot for the jacket! I wish they'd made it standard. The European Anniversary CR had quilted orange lining which wasn't nearly as fun as this.

Open zipped sleeves, yeah. No gusset. :) The burgundy lining was exclusive to these Confederate motorcycles cafe racers but... I do recall seeing it in some other styles though I'm not sure. It's really sweet and does a lot for the jacket! I wish they'd made it standard. The European Anniversary CR had quilted orange lining which wasn't nearly as fun as this.

That's just a tasty CR. I need one.

Me too! As if I don't have way too many CRs already...Just one more fix, and I'll stop! Promise!
No you won't. Don't worry man. I'm being swallowed by cross zip half belts. We all have our rabbit holes.
A CR tho...I could legitimately justify a fine fitting CR. The rest. I'm just cheating on a diet. Like eating a salad for lunch and drinking six beers at dinner.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I were killing some time before eating dinner at Michael Mina’s Bourbon Street Steakhouse (side note: only mediocre), so we walked into the Schott store in the adjacent Americana at Brand. As we were perusing the jackets, one of the guys behind the counter asked about my jacket. Real McCoys Buco J-100 I replied. That led to a conversation about the zipper – he was clearly a jacket nerd like me. He was questioning whether the Talon was NOS or recent vintage – I assured him it was NOS. During the ensuing discussion, I revealed that I had met the owner of RMC and his son. In response, this random guy replied: “Well, now you have met the owner of Scott.” That took me by surprise. Turns out the guy was Jay Schott, great grandson of the founder of Schott, and current owner (or co-owner) of the company. Really nice guy.

We discussed the Brando jacket – he, and his manager, insist that it is a Schott, and the Durable theory has been disproved. We also discussed TFL – he has visited, but concluded that too many are Schott haters. I was surprised by his opinion, as I have not discerned Schott hating here. Yes, there are other brands that receive more frequent and/or favorable mention, but Schott seems relatively well regarded.

While Jay and I were knee deep in nerd talk, my wife fell in love with a Schott 626VNW. Thus, dinner ended up being considerably more expensive than I anticipated. On the other hand, I had been wanting to get my wife a moto jacket, but she repeatedly rejected my prior suggestions. This one finally sang to here, and she is thrilled with it.

For any local folks, the Scott store at Americana is having a big sale in anticipation of moving. There are some VERY good deals to be had. Unfortunately, my wife’s jacket was not on sale (isn’t that always the case – the item you want is the one item that is not part of the sale – oh well).

Lastly, if you read this Jay, thanks for the fun nerd talk. Moreover, stick around here and share your wisdom and experience. There are a good number of Schott fans within our ranks, and others open to being converted with your sage guidance.

Wife's new Schott jacket:

imgrc0061650779.jpg
Wait, so the H in Schott is silent? Did not know that.

BobJ

Practically Family
Here!!! 4lyfe!

Awesome read, Super. I really appreciate you posting this.

Jason is not far off, though. I have read some... really disparaging comments here that couldn't have been more divorced from reality. At times, this place would make you think Schott is Wilson grade maker. Sure, they've had some problems and they do have a budget line produced overseas that's not even on their website but their main line, the Perfectos and the CR's, it's as good as from any maker under the sun. Any!

Just yesterday I was thinking I gotta make a post on how impressed I am with my Schott CR. This jacket has probably seen more abuse than any other I've ever had. Whenever the temperatures would allow it, regardless of the weather condition, this CR has been my jacket to go. And look at it. I began thinking of it as being indestructible. It's waterproof, damageproof (literally cannot get scraped), it's perfectly tailored and it looks good. Hell, my dog sleeps on it sometimes since I just toss it somewhere randomly when I get back home. May not have NOS vintage hardware but the no.10 Ideal does its job perfectly. It may look a bit posey but this is a pure breed motorcycle jacket by any standard.

So when I find a maker that makes an objectively better jacket than this one, I'll let you know straight away. So far, my quest continues. With no end in sight.

I hope Super you don't mind me posting these pics in your thread... And please, please post some of the wife's 626!

Hands down, the most awesome CR I've ever, ever seen. You need two - one to wear and one to display as art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21