Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Well, now you have met the owner of Schott . . .”

Edward

Bartender
Great story. The Wife's jacket looks nice. I've seen opinions on Schott all over the place here over the years, from some who sneer at them and do them down unfairly, to others who, IMO, occasionally exaggerated them. I tend to find they fall in as good, mid-market jackets. Over-priced in the UK (though everything US made always seems to be overpriced here, especially with the value of the pound in freefall these last few months), but very decent jackets. On balance, the Aero MC type I've owned was a better jacket by some way, imo; certainly worth the extra GBP150 it was over a new 618 at the time (currently, the Schott seems to be equal or a little higher in price, depending where you shop in the UK). By no means a bad jacket, however (of the two, I'm holding on to the Schott and selling the Aero as the cut of the Aero is wrong for me - just far too neat in the waist, whereas the Schott is boxier).

Irrespective of whether the Brando Strabelr jacket was a Schott or a Durable, it surprises me they've never thought to do even a special edition that reproduces the specifics of the screen-worn jacket (with or without the BRMC colours).

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Edward that surprises me too. I wish they would make that jacket in a really thick HH or steerhide..........

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a neat story, thanks Super!
I can understand why the owner of Schott might feel slighted here. I don't see any "Schott haters", but the brand is often referred to as mid-level or somehow less special than the usual forum favorites. I suppose this is somewhat inevitable because they are a very large company and it is impossible for them to offer the one on one experience that we get from makers such as Aero, Himel, Good Wear, etc.
Having said that, it's really cool to read that there is still a Schott at the top, and that he is a jacket nerd like the rest of us!
Your wife's jacket looks great, thanks again !

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the story. Nothing at all wrong with Schott, a true American classic. I'd enjoy seeing more posts
about the company and its history here.

technovox

One Too Many
Great story! I've certainly had my fair share of vintage Schott Cafe Racers over the years, but somehow the fit was never quite right- the arms were always too short, sometimes they were thick and heavy and well built...but a few other ones (with the earlier Cactus label) tended to be a bit like the later AMF Harley jacket quality in the 70's- a bit on the lighter/thinner side.
Finally, after many years of catch and release, I came across the perfect fitting Schott CR- a later Perfecto from the limited run that Schott made with Restoration Hardware a few years ago. The arms are longer, the cut in the body is just right, and the quality is simply amazing, and it has a Buco style back, vintage repro Talon zips, and the open zipped sleeves. Some day I'm hoping they'll reissue this style- I'd love to have one in Black as well...Jay, if you're reading this...

SchottMain.jpg

SchottBack.jpg

SchottSleeves.jpg

SchottZip.jpg

Last edited:

RJR

Great story! I've certainly had my fair share of vintage Schott Cafe Racers over the years, but somehow the fit was never quite right- the arms were always too short, sometimes they were thick and heavy and well built...but a few other ones (with the earlier Cactus label) tended to be a bit like the later AMF Harley jacket quality in the 70's- a bit on the lighter/thinner side.
Finally, after many years of catch and release, I came across the perfect fitting Schott CR- a later Perfecto from the limited run that Schott made with Restoration Hardware a few years ago. The arms are longer, the cut in the body is just right, and the quality is simply amazing, and it has a Buco style back, and the open zipped sleeves. Some day I'm hoping to find one in Black as well.

View attachment 68596

View attachment 68597

View attachment 68598
Really like that grain and color.

robrinay

One Too Many
I've got lots of jackets including Vanson Aero ELC LW Foster Buzz Rickson Schott USA (611h) and Schott Europe (multipocket) and the Schott ones are great.

willyto

One Too Many
I just don't like the styles. I prefer vintage looking jackets and when I see Schott I just see flashy modern labels with flags and modern hardware so it doesn't appeal to me at all. I haven't tried them so I can't comment on their quality.

No one hates Schott here. If you want to name a maker hated here you should look at Bill Kelso.

Finally, after many years of catch and release, I came across the perfect fitting Schott CR- a later Perfecto from the limited run that Schott made with Restoration Hardware a few years ago. The arms are longer, the cut in the body is just right, and the quality is simply amazing, and it has a Buco style back, vintage repro Talon zips, and the open zipped sleeves. Some day I'm hoping they'll reissue this style- I'd love to have one in Black as well...Jay, if you're reading this...

View attachment 68596

View attachment 68597

View attachment 68598

View attachment 68599

Restoration Hardware CR is awesome! I've been after one for years but whenever it did turn up, it was around a grand and I just don't have that kinda money... The CAF1 was great too but the Confederate motorcycles is so far the best I've handled from both Schott and otherwise. Supposedly both the RH CR and the Confedi are shaped after the vintage, 60's Schott CR which would explain the tailored, slim fit. Arms on the Confedi are aso 26.5-27" which is plenty long for any maker. Huge improvement over the 25" on the 641/141.

By the way, they did a black RH version as well! It's even more rare than the brown but it pops up from time to time. I've seen one on the filmjackets.com some time ago.

My wife tried on her new jacket last night -- I suggested shortening the sleeves, but she likes them long.

Schott%20010_zpseivwnrjt.jpg

Far above perfect! Such a nice jacket... I agree with her about the sleeves too. It looks romantic that way. :D

@ton312 they'd do that on men's jacket from run to run. Some years, all the belted Perfectos had a belt snap while at other times, they'd just ditch the feature. My 2013 618 didn't have it but the run that was a year after had the snap. I remember being seriously depressed because my jacket lacked this cool feature. Started drinking and all...

I've seen women lately here wearing this style jacket in what appeared to be a man's jacket based on cut/size. It's one of those things that looks great, if not how we here would want it to fit. Fashion and style for women can consist of this sort of thing I I actually like it. I can see why she likes it as it's been common around here to see ladies wearing such garb.
Good post.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Great post and a nice jacket you got for your wife - I myself ordered an aero ladies mc jacket for my girlfriend and we expect it soon.
I love my Schott perfecto's (618 and 618HH). Seriously, the quality is great and miles away from mall or fashion items. The only downside is that you cannot order shorter or longer sleeves. Apart from that there's nothing to justify them be looked down upon.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 68596

View attachment 68597

View attachment 68598

View attachment 68599

It's lined Techno - I thought those were all unlined. Very nice. I've owned a few Schott jackets in recent years. Very well made and definitely well above average from my perspective. Longer sizes would be nice to see.

technovox

One Too Many
It's lined Techno - I thought those were all unlined. Very nice. I've owned a few Schott jackets in recent years. Very well made and definitely well above average from my perspective. Longer sizes would be nice to see.
It was unlined when I bought it...this style came that way stock. So I took it to a tailor and had a custom lining put in it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112