Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Tatum

Practically Family
^ ROFL! Definitely not suited for beekeeping, but perhaps something elegant for the beekeeper!

Which makes me wonder...how has beekeeping attire changed over the years? Hmmm....

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MarionDavies5.jpg

"Is it too much?"

Yes, honey, it is. Perhaps this was the inspiration for the flying nun?

The strange thing about ugly, is if you changed it just a little bit, it wouldn't be ugly. For instance, take the boat of this women's head- the veil would be attractive (at least on a bride). I might even think the boat on it's own is ok, just as a hat, no veil. But together? The ugly train has come to town!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The strange thing about ugly, is if you changed it just a little bit, it wouldn't be ugly.

This could be applied to anything, though. If its changes then it isn't what we are looking at. Its something different, however slight, subject to completely different opinions.

But that outfit as it is looks pretty bad :) And from what I can see that dress beneath it isnt that great either lol

LD

Tatum

Practically Family
If you find out, let us know!

Apparently not a lot has changed. We have bee suits available now (I don't have one) but the veils look about the same! I would not, however, do a hive inspection in a skirt. That is just asking for it, my bees like to go up your pantlegs if you have neglected to tape them up.

Beekeeping%2C%201921.jpg

ETA: Photo is from 1921, Colorado Beekeepers Assoc.

beekeeping.jpg

Not sure about this one, but it is on a page promoting victory gardens!

I also ran across this BBC article about beekeeping in WWII in the UK... Very good read!

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Marilyn wore some beautiful things (her personal wardrobe was filled with lovely and quite understated pieces) however she also got it wrong on occasion - here are the two that stick out for me:

Awful oversized bow that engulfs her:

1958Apr29_piano1a-1.jpg

This is the worst dress I ever saw her wear:

1957_Premiere_of_The_Prince_and_the_Showgirl_001.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah that skirt is holding on for dear life, which is odd considering how tiny she was.

I think this is the only time I will ever say this, but Dita did the see through dress better.

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The dress is completely satin but it does look see through (not the best photo of the dress)- probably because she's completely beaten into it - here's a better photo:

loreleilee-2009071391127-pasg-original.jpg

Why, Marilyn, Why?!

Drappa

One Too Many
Apparently not a lot has changed. We have bee suits available now (I don't have one) but the veils look about the same! I would not, however, do a hive inspection in a skirt. That is just asking for it, my bees like to go up your pantlegs if you have neglected to tape them up.

Oops, missed this. Interesting photos and article. I know what you mean, as a teenager I worked in a chocolate factory in the summer and a bee made it's way into my lab coat I was wearing and I got stung in the armpit. Not pleasant! And that was just one.
Ok, back to ugly outfits :)

Marla

A-List Customer

The dress does look much better in this photo than in the one previously posted. The tightness of the dress makes me wince, though. The straps are cutting into the skin on her shoulders and it's so tight she must have been sewn-in. She looks beautiful, but how painful wearing that dress must have been!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
No canapes for Marilyn that evening - that is eye poppingly tight, let's hope she didn't have to go to the little girls' room, or let's hope she had someone to help shoehorn her back into the dress, if she did!

I love the dress with the big bow though, just not on her - it totally wears her.

wahine

Practically Family
I love the dress with the big bow though, just not on her - it totally wears her.

Here's another photo that's not quite as awful IMOH.
(sorry for the size, too much attention for that dress!)

And here the dress without her.
aqowexys.jpg

Though I must say I love Marilyn and think it's hard to find pics that are unbecoming (even the famous potato sack dress does look kinda cute on her!), I found another burst candidate:

Looks like she had to quit breathing for the evening. Not talking of eating, sitting,...

If I remember it correctly, legend says that she usually bought her sweaters one size too small. Maybe she did the same thing with some of her dresses.

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually that dress looks fab on her, better than the first one, i love the fur with it too.

The first dress just looked painfully tight!!!!

Actually the second pic of the bow dress is much more flattering, you're right, it is such a stunning dress, i guess the bow kind of overwhelms her lovely face in the first pic.

I can't say i have ever found a picture of her that is unbecoming either.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21