Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gomez Grotto of Panamas

J.B.

Practically Family
Hey, ya can't beat fun at the old ballpark -- a new season of sweltering and simmering away in the bleachers like a steaming Dodger Dog in the brutal L.A. heat at Chavez Ravine and The Rancho Cucamonga Epicenter -- home of the Quakes!

So, last week my Akubra Rink finally gave out after three seasons of rowdy fans in the neighboring seats bleeding Dodger blue - and spilling beer - and buttered popcorn - and every other thing on it, and kneeing the back of my head, while enduring scorching heat waves, etc., so between my sweat and their abuse I was forced to begin looking for my next "ballpark" replacement lid... The "Rink" had been plastic-hot and weighed a ton so I decided to try something different.

I had remembered occasionally seeing these amazing Panama hats that I really connected with popping up on the boards here. They were sporting nice blocking with professional upgraded sweatbands installed and incredible custom ribbon work -- really interesting stuff, some were very staid traditional treatments and some were très edgy -- almost avant-garde hat art... The owners were recommending a FL member -- Tom-n-Perris -- for nice Panama finishing?! I PM'd Tom and discussed a hat. He was thoughtful and easy to deal with. Actually, I believe that he's been modestly ever-so-quietly doing these gems for over four years now.

The bad news: It's way too nice to wear to the ballpark...

The good news: I have rationalized away the bad news by ordering another even "fancier" one from him so that I won't feel bad about wearing this one to games...
emogrinyes.gif

Specs: Cuenca brisa, 59cm, 2-5/8" brim, roan leather sheep skin sweatband, navy blue ribbon, "separating arrows" bow with a khaki accent stripe. Here's some pics (sorry no head shots)...

dscf7035v.jpg
dscf7033.jpg
dscf7037.jpg

BTW, I wear "brim up" because I'm old and because I can and because the neighboring patron's Budweiser-spill stays safely up there until I can drain it off! (...Although my wife does occasionally reach over and smack the snapbrim down when she feels I'm becoming too "vocal"...) :D

Anyway, I don't know Tom Gomez from Adam's off ox -- but I do own custom hats from several of the All-Star hatters here and love them. So, it's just MHO but as a baseball fan and a hat fan -- for me Gomez' fantastic artwork-in-straw just got traded up from the minors to the "bigs" in the Panama Hat League and I thought Loungers would dig seeing it. I'm going to add the (even) newer hat's pics when that one gets here and I know there are a bunch of his long-time followers here, too! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Nice lid and Welcome to the Gomez Grotto of Panama's.....

He will win you over with his work, and personality....and yes he is working on another one for me right now also......

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have to completely agree, Tom is THE man to get Panama's finished from. Here's my Montecristi I got from PB last year and had Bob send it to Tom for crease/blocking in as an Optimo. He does aome of the nicest work I've seen.

19870010.jpg

19870012.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This was my first Tom Gomez hat.

28lxt8h.jpg

Love the ribbon work. I have three of Tom's hats and love them all. It's been warm enough to wear a couple of them already this year. I've been thinking lately, it's been a while since I spoke with him.

J.B.

Practically Family
...the Gomez Grotto of Panama's...

Wow! That's gotta be the consummate "Gomez thread" name! :D Don't I wish I'd have thought of it?! :eusa_doh: ...I went back and tried to edit the title line, but no joy?! Nerts!

Anyway, O.G. and DJH -- nice! :cool:

...and monbla, what is there to say? :first: ...But if there's ever going to be a Montecristi in my future -- it'll arrive by the grace of the California Lottery! :D Whenever I think about starting to collect Montecristis -- I just remember the old dicho: "If THAT snake bites you, there is no cure in the pharmacy!" :yield:

J.B.

Practically Family
My latest shipped fresh from the Gomez Grotto.....[

Good Grief, O.G.! What an incredible lid! ...And an even more incredible ribbon/bow treatment!

That box-bow's center reminds me of a geometric still life painting done on ribbon?! Almost like artwork presented on a tiny little canvas! :cool:

PRW94

New in Town
Hooked up with Tom to make my first Panama, it's my Father's Day present, I should have it this weekend and I cannot wait. It was an absolute pleasure to work with him ... and that was what it was like, working with him, not buying something from him ... and here are the photos he sent me:

DSCF7878 (800x500) (2).jpg DSCF7880 (800x455).jpg DSCF7881 (800x500).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR