Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gomez Grotto of Panamas

Allenworsham

New in Town
My first custom Panama Hat

Some time back I was directed by some folks here on TFL to Tom Gomez ( http://www.gomezhatcompany.com/ ) who specializes in custom Panama hats to rebuild an early 1950's Panama that belonged to my Grandfather. Tom lives about 30 minutes from me and he did a great job rebuilding the hat and I wear it quite a bit. During our conversations together getting to know each other, Tom found out that I do woodworking and asked if I might be able to repair some hat flanges and hat blocks that he had set aside. So we set a price and I repaired the items and we were both happy. Awhile later Tom wanted to see if I could make him a bench to his specs to work on felt hats out on his patio as they shed a lot inside. So I made him a bench and he made me a custom Cuenca Panama. I really love the new hat and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. I never thought I would have a custom made hat, but now that I have one I am sure I will end up with another one down the road. I really like the personal touch that Tom put my initials in the sheep leather sweat band

2015-06-23 06.32.26.jpg
2015-06-23 06.32.41.jpg
2015-06-23 06.33.00.jpg
2015-06-23 06.33.17.jpg

RJR

Great that two people w/different talents met on TFL and were able to help each other.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking at the Google listings for Tom Gomez and noticed the one called "Panama Hat Works of Monecristi." Are those Tom's work, Panama Bob's, or is it an association of importers? Could anyone clarify this for me? There are a couple of hats there that have been giving me some sleepless nights. I've got Tom's number, but I'd like to have some more info before I call him.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Robert imports and the bodies can get finished a number of ways, including Art Fawcett, Tom Gomez, Batsakes (Cincinatti) and there may be others. Or, he can import them as finished hats. The only trouble with the ones finished in South America - population there is not as 'long' oval as we are and the blocks used there are for more 'round' heads relative to those of us that descended from Europeans. So, getting one finished here is often the better choice for most of us with oval or long oval heads. I have one finished by Batsakes and one by Art; if I get another I might choose Tom. My son and his family are in San Diego and it would be probably only a few hours to drive there during a visit to SD.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the very interesting information. I've been noticing for some time that, particularly with straws, a size a bit too small can cause a serious distortion of a hat's look. What you say makes perfect sense.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Kleinhans Refurbishment

I won this Kleinhans on Ebay 6 weeks ago; a sub-fino Montecristi Llano weave probably no more than 150 wpsi. Nobody bid against me. Kleinhans.

I had to go outta town a couple of weeks, sent it to Tom Gomez on Sept. 4th. I had cleaned it once - filthiest hat I have ever cleaned! Wiping it with a damp cloth over the sink, and as I wrung out the cloth the sink looked like I had been pouring coffee into it. Tom told me he steam-cleaned it twice more, and he thought it was the filthiest panama he has ever cleaned. He sends me these pics on the 22nd:

Hat arrived today (28th):

What nice work, beautiful refurbishment, thank you Tom Gomez. With what I have invested in the hat now, for maybe only $50 or $100 more I could have a new one of approximately same wpsi, but you cannot buy that patina new. I am one happy customer - only bad part is the cold front coming through East TN right now, straw season is over here. I will look forward to getting this one out next summer!

kingrat

One of the Regulars
Outstanding panama and one very nice block and outstanding ribbon work , Tom does top of the line work and you have very nice Panama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy