Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

rumblefish

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I just realized I am going on 40 DAYS without beer. :eek:AIEEEEEEEEE

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine.
But a day without beer is like...trust me, let's not even go there.

You far from LI, Fletch?
I have plenty... :cheers1:

Rock31

Familiar Face
Visited one of my favorite places in NJ tonight, The Liquor Outlet Wine Cellars. They have a glorious wall of probably 500+ different bottled beers but tonight I went back for some of my favs:

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Arrogant ba***rd
Hercules Double IPA
Nogne O IPA

And I picked up Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace going to give it a try.

Tomorrow is looking to be a wonderful 4th.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Had a few of these while watching the MMA bouts this evening. Not bad.....[huh]

3710784534_d55114b2ba.jpg

Chainsaw

Suspended
Holy Gees man. I took my Mexican buddy to my favorite "micro brewery" today after work. After all the free samples of the blitz crieg I grabed a 2_4 of "Cool" beer. It ain't bad. Cheers.

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Old Thumper by Ringwood Brewery in England. Brewed on contract by Shipyard Brewing in Maine. Original recipe of course. Best beer I've ever had.

bwildered

New in Town
home brewer here

My favorite kind of beer is Free beer, next, free cold beer.
Seriously, being a homebrewer, I enjoy all sorts of commercial beers also. I usually have a mix in my fridge of my own (currently a lighter "steam" beer {lager yeast brewed at a higher temperature}) a lighter wheat beer, (blue moon) and a fat tire (colorado amber). I don't go for higher hopped beers, and the porters and stouts are just too filling for me to enjoy regularly.
I have met some beer snobs who look down their noses at bud and coors and similar, but variety makes the world go round.
Being a homebrewer I can customize my beers to my own palate. and I do... its all good.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bwildered said:
I have met some beer snobs who look down their noses at bud and coors and similar,
I don't look down my nose at those beers.....just the people who drink them......:p

phinz

New in Town
the hairy bloke said:
The other night I had some of the "Punk IPA" from the same firm as "Tactical Nuclear Penguin".
<snip>
What worries me is that most yeasts die well below ten percent abv, so how they create a beer at 30+% is beyond me. My guess is that it will tast of little but alcahol. If I wanted to drink that I'b buy a bottle of white spirit from the hard-ware store.

These beers tend to take on a rich, almost sweet flavor. TNP is brewed using what amounts to cold distillation. They freeze the beer to right at the freezing point, skimming the frozen part off, leaving a higher, richer alcohol content. The Master Brewer at Sam Adams told us to make the Utopias they keep adding maple syrup until the yeast dies (simplified version, of course) to get a naturally high gravity brew. I have bottle of it in the cabinet but haven't gotten into it yet. I'm looking forward to it, though.

I'm a fan of the Stone Brew beers, though there are many others in my collection. I need to take another inventory. I have a preference for stouts (but can't stand Guinness unless it's in a car bomb), porters and IPA.

phinz

New in Town
the hairy bloke said:
I do know that during the last decade or two there has been a revival in craft brewing in the States, with Sam Adams, being quite easily availible in Britain.

<snip>

It is interesting to note that some of those beers mentioned as favourites are ones I consider to be mass-market, and insipid:

Sam Adams is considered to be mass market by many here. You owe it to yourself to try many of the true microbrews out of the States. In 2009 there were 1585 breweries in the United States. 1542 were craft breweries, with many being local brewpubs where the beverages they brew are only available at the brewery itself.

Story

I'll Lock Up
THE world's strongest beer can be yours for a mere £500 ($855) a bottle.

The blond Belgian ale, named The End of History, is an astonishing 55 per cent alcohol by volume (ABV) and is presented in a case made from stuffed animals, including stoats and squirrels.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/worlds...er/story-e6frfkyi-1225895855686#ixzz0uSztZEdw

855601-brewdog.jpg

In November, BrewDog, a three-year-old Scottish microbrewery, released a new brand, dubbed Tactical Nuclear Penguin. The beer set a new record by weighing in at a scary 32% alcohol by volume (ABV), more than six times the strength of familiar domestic brands like Budweiser.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1978705,00.html#ixzz0uT0VyuHa

Dogfish Head brewery is known for making exotic beer with ingredients like crystallized ginger or water from Antarctica, so it might not sound surprising that one of its recent creations is a brew flavored simply by grapes and flowers. It's not the recipe that makes this beer so special; it's where that recipe was found: a Neolithic burial site in China.

Chateau Jiahu is a time capsule from 7,000 B.C., but to hear Dogfish Head owner Sam Calagione talk about what beer was actually like back then, it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "Hey, pass me another ice-cold ancient ale!"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128587208&sc=fb&cc=fp

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
First off, that squirrel image is frightening.

As for my favorite beers:

Pilsner Urquell
Shiner Bock Black
Alaskan Red Amber
Baltica #3
Coors Light (in a can)

Why those five beers have won spots on my favorites list is a long-winded back story of personal experience and bank statements. And my preference for Coors over Bud and Miller for the American bargain beer has mostly to do with its refreshing qualities and hopefully less to do with those times that I'd duct tape the finished cans to the bottom of my next Coors and then compare the size of my "Wizard's Staff" with my friends at the party.

I do genuinely love the taste of those top three - Pils, Shiner and Alaskan - but if I were to tell you the best tasting beer I've ever had was, it was a marzen at a place called "Beer Haus" in Tallinn, Estonia, which was served in a liter-mug and had the color of fresh brick. I've been trying to rediscover that taste for awhile.

Nikx

New in Town
I'm really looking forward to the winter season when Brooklyn Brewing releases their Black Chocolate Stout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo