Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Here in Changwon, Korea, I don't have access to as broad a range of quality beer as I am used to. But I find enough to get me by. The one Korean beer I have taken a liking to is Black Beer Stout from the Hite brewery, which is not remotely a stout, but a dark lager akin to Negra Modelo. The nomenclatural confusion is amusing, but the beer is not bad at all, especially at about $0.85/bottle (supermarket price). For other beers at the market, I pay $1.70-3.40/bottle; the prices in bars are triple that. So I'm not going to bars very much, and have gotten to the stage in life where I prefer my tipple at home in the evening anyway.

Other beers in my regular rotation here include Corona, Hoegaarden White, Duvel Belgian Golden Ale (pricey), Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (pricey), Edelweiss Weissbier, Coopers Best Extra Stout, Castlemaine XXXX Export Lager, Becks Dark, Negra Modelo, and Oettinger Super Forte (cheap, strong, and more drinkable than most beers of its malt liquor type).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Can you say HOPS?!?!

terhop.JPG

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Patrick Murtha said:
Here in Changwon, Korea, I don't have access to as broad a range of quality beer as I am used to. But I find enough to get me by.

Sounds like things have changed quite a bit since I was there! I was stationed at Osan Air Base. There were only three kinds of beer available at the local bars off base, as I recall. One was OB, the other was brewed-in-Korea-under-license Heineken, and the third was... I forget, it was the least drinkable of the three.

Cheers!

Tom

1855th Command Control Intelligence Support Squadron, Osan Air Base, Feb 1986-Feb 1987.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
One of the subthemes could be about seasonal brews that we like also.

I have to say when Samuel Adams does their Octoberfest beer, I like it a lot.

One of the many things I miss about Victoria, BC, is the number of brew pubs and local micro brews. Spinnakers' Brew Pub, the first allowed to open in Canada, does an incredible Christmas ale. Spiced just nicely.

http://www.spinnakers.com/gastro-brewpub

Another local brew pub, Swann's, does a similar ale. Cask conditioned in both cases. Incredible.

Off the shelf, St. Peter's Winter Ale from England is very nice, and there are handcrafted Scottish ales often for sale around Christmas time made with local ingredients such as heather instead of hops.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AtomicEraTom said:
Anyone here tried the 60's Formula Schlitz? I love it!

Hi, we got it last year. I thought it was slightly better than Bud, but it was also priced about $1.50 less a six pack. Now suddenly, it's $1.00 MORE a six pack. Now I don't bother.

Later

rumblefish

One Too Many
Heyyyyyy,
That glass has a dogfish on it!;)

Tomasso said:

Speaking of Dogfish (Head) I've been enjoying their Aprihop and I'm almost to my last one. The selection of hops combined with apricot is outstanding! I recommend.:)

Do they really still make Schlitz Malt Liquor? I didn't know that.

The 60's formula Schlitz, I guess I love it because it's real close to my favorite, Pabst Blue Ribbon, which I've always got a 30 case in my fridge.

Also, does anyone here know anything about microbrew and microbrew equipment? Looking to go on a commercial level

Big_e said:
I keep my fridge stocked with Schlitz, my favorite stand by.:p

imagesCA1T4T51.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Heyyyyyy,
That glass has a dogfish on it!;)

Speaking of Dogfish (Head) I've been enjoying their Aprihop and I'm almost to my last one. The selection of hops combined with apricot is outstanding! I recommend.:)

Thanks for the heads up for that Chris. I'm going down to the "600 beers" shop on the weekend and will have a shufti for that.

Sounds tasty!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Ahh Dogfish, I have many fond memories of pitches of Dogfish IPA at a pub across the street from my university... hmm hops...:)

AtomicEraTom said:
Also, does anyone here know anything about microbrew and microbrew equipment? Looking to go on a commercial level

In the past there were turn key systems offered in some of the magazines, but I haven't seen them in a while. Malt Advocate and the Celebrator magazine. I'd suggest you contact the American Homebrewers Association for info. Since a lot of home brewers make the jump they could point you in the right direction. Also one of the University of California locations has courses in brewing and fermenting I think it 's UC Davis they might be able to suggest where to find a list of manufacturers.

Thanks so much for the information, I'll be looking into it. If all works out, I'll send you a sampler!!

John in Covina said:
In the past there were turn key systems offered in some of the magazines, but I haven't seen them in a while. Malt Advocate and the Celebrator magazine. I'd suggest you contact the American Homebrewers Association for info. Since a lot of home brewers make the jump they could point you in the right direction. Also one of the University of California locations has courses in brewing and fermenting I think it 's UC Davis they might be able to suggest where to find a list of manufacturers.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AtomicEraTom said:
Do they really still make Schlitz Malt Liquor? I didn't know that.

The 60's formula Schlitz, I guess I love it because it's real close to my favorite, Pabst Blue Ribbon, which I've always got a 30 case in my fridge.

Hi Tom

I'm pretty sure that Schlitz Malt Liquor is gone, but the regular Schlitz is back on the shelves. PBR was my high school beer, and we drank it for the first year or so of college. Used to be brewed in Peoria Illinois just down stream from the sewage disposal plant. (I hope I'm kidding).

Do you brew your own beer now? If you don't, I think you should definitely try that before going commercial.

Later

We used to home brew a few years back, but got too busy for it. I see some of the companies that sell the equipment will work with you, and train you to be a brewmaster H

1961MJS said:
Hi Tom
Do you brew your own beer now? If you don't, I think you should definitely try that before going commercial.

Later

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I had this last month. Forgot to post the photo.

29293_1420190258569_1047055406_1311935_1636264_n.jpg

Just some hodgepodge. Smoked sausage, squash from the garden, and feta. I love gueuze in the summertime.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Went to a beer tasting

Czech Rebel

Blue Point Toasted Lager

Redhook Blonde

Victory Sunrise Weiss

Lagunitas Little Sumptin' Sumptin'

Affligem Blond

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Allagash Dubbel

Avery Salvation