Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Hmmm, beers I regularly pick up are:

1554 by New Belgian Brewing - a black ale

Old Chub and Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues - a scotch ale and an imperial stout, that are packaged in cans.

Growlers of 9 lb. Porter from Georgetown Brewery.

Alaskan Amber's smoked porter - so far I've liked most smoked porters.

Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing (or their Smoke Jumper porter, when I can find it).

As you can see, I tend to like the darker varieties. I like New Belgian's Mighty Arrow, a pale ale, however.

Aside from Monks Blood (which I posted about in another thread), one of the more interesting beers I've had lately was some of the Russian River Brewing's Barrel Aged Beers - Temptation was the one I sampled. It's a blonde ale aged in French chardonnay barrels, and it makes for a very interesting taste!

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Henry Hughes said:
My local Co-Op carries a great selection of Foreign Beers that I have thoroughly enjoyed trying. So far my favorites have been a couple of Belgian Ale's (best thing about these is the massive and unique bottle they come in) as well as a Czech beer who's name I can't for the life of me remember. And since I grew up with the whole PBR revival thing out here in the west I do enjoy Pabst simply as a cheap brew.
Hard to beat Paulaner Hefeweizen on a hot summer day.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
A new area for me

My absolute favorite beer is Negra Modelo. Mexico does some wonderful things with hops and grain. I also am fond of Paulaner October Fest, seasonal brew.

Growing up, Dad always had Bruinink's beer in the house (more local for Minnesota I think). A classic pilsner. It is another vintage label that has passed on.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
I'd sooner drink German Tequila than Mexican beer. :p

Only half joking.
Negra Modelo is a world class beer. It's unfortunate that they have concentrated so much of their production on Corona, a beer perfectly suited to drink ice cold after mowing the lawn and little else.:rage:
Tom D.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
It's true, Negra Modelo is indeed a World class beer. For a great dark beer, it is def my pick. Most Americans try Corona, which is rather sad, even most Mexicans don't drink that.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
You're using that term very loosely, Iggy. [bad]

Not at all. A true Vienna Style Lager. Also highly rated by "The Beer Hunter" Michael Jackson (not the one with the glove). The real trick is to get a bottle that hasn't been abused by sitting under a florescent light or in a hot beer store for months because it was "mexican beer"and over looked. Seek out a fresh one and you will be mighty surprised. Sure beats XX by kilometers.
Tom D.

THe Germans came to Mexico to set up the breweries and taught beer making, All Mexican beers are offshoots of Lager styles, mostly Pilsners but Dos Equis Amber and Negro Modelo are Vienna Lagers and akin to Oktoberfest beer. There is a third I have not seen in the US that MJ spoke highly of 20 years back called Tres Equis Oscura that was supposed to be about the best of the Vienna styled beers in Mexico. I don't know if it is still made.

For myself if offered a choice between the Heinken Lager we get here, a St Pauli Girl. a Becks or a Corona, I will opt for the Corona it has greater drinkable enjoyment than the Dortmunder Export styles of the afore mentioned.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CIMG3301.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Re: Great Divide's Titan IPA -- Very good beer. I like Hercules better, but there's nothing not to like about Titan.

rumblefish

One Too Many
From Dieu du Ciel, Péché Mortel.
Of all the coffee stouts I've had, this is the coffeeist. Right between an espresso and a stout. I'm afraid it may keep me up tonight.;)
I'll have this again. The same way, with a slice of chocolate cake from Cardinali's Bakery in Carle Place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo